HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 11.0

Closed Thread

Old
06-12-2013, 11:04 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitehowl View Post
Kings 10 draft picks set...first pick will be

#57 in the 2nd round...
#88 (3rd round)
#96 (4th round Carolina)
#103 (4th round Philadelphia)
#118 (4th round)
#146 (5th round Montreal)
#148 (5th round)
#178 (6th round)
#191 (7th round Dallas)
#208 (7th round)
They have 10 picks ?!? I am jealous. They need a cupboard refill and they will get it with that.

Old
06-12-2013, 11:05 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoff Beard View Post
Dream scenario were teams ahead of us go off the board and two or more of those players drop to 25, who do you pick. These were "consensus" top 20 picks who I've seen drop pas 25 in some scouts mocks/rankings.

Shinkaruk
Lazar
Wennberg
Domi
Horvat
Erne

Lazar for me.
He's last on that list for me. Lazar has been far from a consensus top 20 pick, he's been 25 or so on many lists over the past year.

Horvat Domi Wennberg Shinkaruk Erne Lazar.

Old
06-12-2013, 11:10 PM
phillytennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
I don't really agree with most of Button's rankings but that is just me. I just don't get all the hype around Hartman. He is this year's JT Miller or Boone Jenner or Scott Laughton. I just see him as a very very safe pick when we need to have an impact player and we have enough character fowards that we can afford to gamble on someone like Mccarron and the potential he hold. Same goes for Mantha
Sure, I would risk taking McCarron at pick number 55...not before...I would rather have Dauphin, Poirier, Dickinson , Erne, Domi, MacCoshen, Santini , Mantha, Gauthier.....the list continues...before him...

Old
06-12-2013, 11:11 PM
Playoff Beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
He's last on that list for me. Lazar has been far from a consensus top 20 pick, he's been 25 or so on many lists over the past year.

there's no consensus in this draft, that's why i wrote it "consensus". Same goes for all of those guys. Yet, we don't really talk about them on the board (except maybe Erne), probably because we keep thinking they won't fall to us. Thing is, every year, some teams go off the board and some players fall (Beaulieu, Grigo, Forsberg, teravainen are recent examples). These players could be there when we pick on June 30th.

Old
06-12-2013, 11:14 PM
Nitehowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitehowl View Post
Kings 10 draft picks set...first pick will be

#57 in the 2nd round...
#88 (3rd round)
#96 (4th round Carolina)
#103 (4th round Philadelphia)
#118 (4th round)
#146 (5th round Montreal)
#148 (5th round)
#178 (6th round)
#191 (7th round Dallas)
#208 (7th round)
maybe we could trade a 2014 - 3rd for a 4th & 5th this year

Last edited by Nitehowl: 06-12-2013 at 11:20 PM.
Old
06-12-2013, 11:54 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Shinkaruk
Lazar
Wennberg
Domi
Horvat
Erne
Of that group I am guessing most likely Erne drops to 25(all the rest I can see being top 15 but not him)

Old
06-12-2013, 11:57 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
8:35 mark.

http://video.canadiens.nhl.com/video...sole?id=248356

Hickey: Will you look for more size in the draft?

Bergevin: For sure...easier said than done...but we'll be looking at that.
What should he say ? This doesn't tell me anything. It doesn't indicate if he will pass on Petan over a guy like Mantha for the sake of size or not. A thing he said though is that he will be looking for character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillytennis View Post
I saw McCarron play several times. He played against Canada in the U-18 tourney.
He was big, slow, not particularly aggressive, but had pretty good hands. Still not worth picking among our 3 first picks. You must have a poor understanding...of the term FAST...McCarron is the anti-thesis of fast...the term is slow...we should let another team be enamored by his size.
If you hope a 6'5 230 18 years old kid to wow you with speed... The u18 was on a big ice and McCarron effective in close. He has fast foot in close. Sure he has no speed to burn... But which succesful 6'5 230 forward has it ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
For whoever doesn't like Mantha for our pick at 25....and let say you are amongst his "haters".....is he a total ND for you? Where would you take him?
No hes not.... But there will be someone better at 25 for sure.

Last edited by Chalupa Batman: 06-13-2013 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Flaming
Old
06-12-2013, 11:59 PM
AnthonyD

Frequent reader, first time poster...

Got a question for you all. Anybody got a good scouting report on LW Tyler Hill and RW Hudson Fasching? Would they be good picks in the second/third round?

Old
06-13-2013, 12:06 AM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Great 1st game of the Final 4-3 for Chicago in the 3rd OT period. Boston blew that try for home ice advantage, nice try! Night guys.

Old
06-13-2013, 12:12 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Would love to have Grant's take on this....or anybody else....but monster for monster....Tyler Hill or Mike McCarron?

Old
06-13-2013, 12:14 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Quote:
I don't really agree with most of Button's rankings but that is just me. I just don't get all the hype around Hartman. He is this year's JT Miller or Boone Jenner or Scott Laughton. I just see him as a very very safe pick when we need to have an impact player and we have enough character fowards that we can afford to gamble on someone like Mccarron and the potential he hold. Same goes for Mantha
Boone Jenner and Scott Laughton are quality prospects, guys you would want on your side in a game like tonight's, I'd be happy to get a prospect of that caliber at #25 in any draft.

I don't know why you are viewing McCarron and Hartman in such a different light, they are both ''character'' forwards (and I disagree, we don't have enough of them, especially among our prospect ranks). McCarron has tremendous size, but Hartman is a better skater and has better hand skills. If things go well, both can become top 6 forwards, but I think Hartman's floor is higher - he'd likely be an Andrew Shaw in the worst case scenario. McCarron could be the next Brad Winchester in the worst case scenario.

You were comparing Hartman to Peverley, but Hartman is a lot more like Marchand since he's an agitator, only even more willing to answer the bell with his fists.

Old
06-13-2013, 12:20 AM
Ginu

I see Hartman as a Hartnell / Callahan type.

The more I read about Mantha I see Penner.

Old
06-13-2013, 12:29 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post

Oh Sorry that was mean't for Grant, who ya know has a boat load of experience as a scout, and would know talent when he sees it.

I'll take his "overrated" opinion any day of the week, people don't understand how fortunate we are to have someone of Grant's caliber to post here voluntarily.

+1 to Grant in my books
I will add that it's alright to disagree with Grant, or with anyone. Scouts from the same team argue with eachother to come up with a list. What's important is to respect one's opinion, especially when that one person has been a scout for the Habs.

Amongst everyone that hangs out around here, I'm one of the most critical of everyone's opinion when I disagree with them, but it doesn't mean I don't respect it.

I try to pick up here and there to better make my choices for the picks and when someone critics a player I like, I often question my view of that said player or try to notice if that critic is well fonded or it's just stuff spreading on HF.

I value the opinion of the regulars on this thread pretty high.

Quote:
Domi. Not even close for me. And that's not because I'm disrespecting Petan, it's because at 25...it would be a freakin steal to get Domi. For me, Petan could/should get the Schwartz treatment...beginning of 2nd rounder.

Schwartz was picked in the 1st I believe, but I get your point

Old
06-13-2013, 12:31 AM
ChesterNimitz

Quote:
They have 10 picks ?!? I am jealous. They need a cupboard refill and they will get it with that.
With one first, three seconds and two thirds, there is no reason to be envious of them.

Old
06-13-2013, 12:34 AM
ChesterNimitz

Quote:
there's no consensus in this draft, that's why i wrote it "consensus". Same goes for all of those guys. Yet, we don't really talk about them on the board (except maybe Erne), probably because we keep thinking they won't fall to us. Thing is, every year, some teams go off the board and some players fall (Beaulieu, Grigo, Forsberg, teravainen are recent examples). These players could be there when we pick on June 30th.
But none of the players you mentioned 'fell' out of the top twenty, let alone to 25th or lower.

Old
06-13-2013, 12:35 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
I see Hartman as a Hartnell / Callahan type.

The more I read about Mantha I see Penner.
He's a better skater than that. WAY skinnier too.

I think he will become more offensive than Penner.

Been citing that comparison a lot but the best NHL comparison I've found for Mantha is James Neal.

Old
06-13-2013, 12:39 AM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyD View Post

Got a question for you all. Anybody got a good scouting report on LW Tyler Hill and RW Hudson Fasching? Would they be good picks in the second/third round?
Not this year, they might be good picks in the 4th,5th or 6th. They would be good wingers for Nic Petan in the AHL to start.

Old
06-13-2013, 12:43 AM
Lars The GOAT Eller
WildGranlund

Send a message via Skype™ to Lars The GOAT Eller
Quote:

Interesting with one of our 3rds for sure

Old
06-13-2013, 12:49 AM
AnthonyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
Not this year, they might be good picks in the 4th,5th or 6th. They would be good wingers for Nic Petan in the AHL to start.
You think they'll fall there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoingItLeBlancWay View Post
Interesting with one of our 3rds for sure
The more I read about Fasching especially. I remembered him being considered a potential first round pick earlier this year by some (Mckeen's I believe) I don't fully understand the fall in rankings. Dissapointing year, but had a good under 18. The size-skill combo seems enticing.

Old
06-13-2013, 12:51 AM
ChesterNimitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostki View Post
The issue with your statement is that the "probabilities" you talk about are from YOUR assessments, which in truth, are based on your personal analysis/obeservations. So what are "probabilities" for you are perceived as possibilities for others. Same thing basically. Apart from 4-5 players, it's quite impossible to extrapolate any probability in truth.
I guess it comes down to who one considers those special 4-5 players are. Or are you saying that such determination has already be made? I haven't seen that official list yet. While you say that this 'elite' or unquestionable group is 4 to 5 players, I prefer to expand the group's ambit. In this writer's opinion there are 10 to 12 players that will clearly be drafted in the top 15. Who those players are has been set out repeatedly in my previous posts and to avoid taxing the moderators' patience I will refrain from listing them again. I will only comment that to believe that any of them will be available when we pick at 25, is being unrealistically optimistic.

Old
06-13-2013, 01:02 AM
S Bah

Just listening to Julien talking after the game, he's a pretty stand-up guy. Hard loss to take in the 1st game of the SC Final.

Old
06-13-2013, 01:09 AM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

What do you guys think of Sergei Tolchinsky? Too small?

Old
06-13-2013, 01:22 AM
Sumoki Dachiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
He's a better skater than that. WAY skinnier too.

I think he will become more offensive than Penner.

Been citing that comparison a lot but the best NHL comparison I've found for Mantha is James Neal.
Eric Daze seems like a good comparison for those that remember him.

Old
06-13-2013, 01:25 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post

Lazar was in contention to be a top 5 pick, a year ago. Lazar is the kind of player you need to watch to appreciate, like Horvat.

Quote:

Hill is big and a real tough one. He's not a great skater but its normal for a 6'6 kid to be slow... He has some interesting tools, but I don't think he will ever amount to much to be honest. 3rd line-4th line would be probable, anything more would really surprise me. He could be a good pick out of the top 100.

Quote:
Would love to have Grant's take on this....or anybody else....but monster for monster....Tyler Hill or Mike McCarron?
McCarron for sure... Obviously, you won't pick Hill in the first so theres that. McCarron seems to have more upside, but Hill is a lot tougher. If Hill busts he could at least become a goon... If McC busts what will he become ? Can he fight? Can he speak french? You get the vibe...

Old
06-13-2013, 04:50 AM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner77 View Post
Sobering thoughts on Hudson Fasching, who I had thought might have been a nice, late PF:

http://futureconsiderations.ca/fcs-s...upper-midwest/
I guess that leaves Timmins Sleeper Pick whose name eludes this fan ATM and Frankie DiChiara the 6'0.5" - 218 lbs. winger from Dubuque Fighting Saints. He scored the winner for the Saints in OT for the Cup and never stops trying even when he's ranked 210th on CS list or last place. Sounds to good to not be true.Jake Guentzel is the next Jaden Schwartz he's ranked 80th by CS. It makes one wonder whom is making these lists.

Last edited by S Bah: 06-13-2013 at 04:57 AM.
Closed Thread