HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Plekanec our future Koivu?

Old
10-12-2006, 05:54 PM
Habs4ever

vCash: 500
Is Plekanec our future Koivu?

I always see Komisarek, Higgins given props as future captains but I've never seen anyone mention Plekanec, and although it might sound unrealisctic, everybody was surprised when koivu was named captain in similar fashion, when everybody clearly identified Corson and recchi as the captain candidates!!

He plays with heart,
gets along with his teammates,
gets Rewarded by management for hard work
Fans love him
Down to earth guy, Following since he's ben drafted,
We used him at the place of koivu last playoff after koivu injury, and he played very good.

In short, he's exactly as what we see in Koivu today, only difference he came 10 years later!!

Habs4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 06:13 PM
goalchenyuk

Does he speak french ?

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 06:17 PM
Mike8

I don't think Plekanec's as naturally gifted as Koivu is. Not close, actually.

But he can play a similar style and provide a similar role. I'd see Plekanec playing with a little less leadership flair on-ice, a little less feistiness, not quite as skilled offensively, but fundamentally a lot stronger than Koivu was (until last season).

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 06:17 PM
ControlFreak

Send a message via MSN to ControlFreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4ever View Post
I always see Komisarek, Higgins given props as future captains but I've never seen anyone mention Plekanec, and although it might sound unrealisctic, everybody was surprised when koivu was named captain in similar fashion, when everybody clearly identified Corson and recchi as the captain candidates!!

He plays with heart,
Fans love him
We used him at the place of koivu last playoff after koivu injury, and he played very good.

In short, he's exactly as what we see in Koivu today, only difference he came 10 years later!!
You know... I draw the same comparisons as you for the simple reason that they seem to play a similar game. But at the same time, despite Koivu's underachievement offensivley, I still think that koivu has more offensive flair than plekanec. Another thing that sets them apart is leadership. I don't know what kind of leadership plekanec has, but Im pretty certain koivu is vastly superior to him at that level.

ControlFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 06:46 PM
Quiet Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post

But he can play a similar style and provide a similar role. I'd see Plekanec playing with a little less leadership flair on-ice, a little less feistiness, not quite as skilled offensively, but fundamentally a lot stronger than Koivu was (until last season).
My thoughts exactly. Early on his career, I think Koivu had the potential to be an elite center. He was among the league leaders in pts in his second season before he got injured and pretty much never regained that form. I've never thought Plekanec had elite level potential.

But in terms of overall play, I think they're styles are comparable. A few differences (leadership, offensive flair etc...), but they have similarities.

Quiet Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 07:00 PM
hab

pleks goes into the corners, but still is no where near as gritty as koivu, and I

would say he comes up short on the skill level as well, but he should still have

a long productive career. Solid 2 way player, if he was 6'2, he could be a star..

hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 07:01 PM
ControlFreak

Send a message via MSN to ControlFreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Robert View Post
My thoughts exactly. Early on his career, I think Koivu had the potential to be an elite center. He was among the league leaders in pts in his second season before he got injured and pretty much never regained that form. I've never thought Plekanec had elite level potential.

But in terms of overall play, I think they're styles are comparable. A few differences (leadership, offensive flair etc...), but they have similarities.

One way to look at it, after I read that post is that Plekanec's top upside is Koivu right now, whereas Koivu's top upside was elite point getting center.

ControlFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 07:07 PM
Ross MacLochness

I hate comparisons. Plekanec is our future Plekanec.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 09:23 PM
!nkubus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slip Slidin' Slim View Post
I hate comparisons. Plekanec is our future Plekanec.
Agree. Plekanec is already an important peice of our team and will be even more in the future. Good years are comming

!nkubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 09:35 PM
Habbadasher

IMHO Higgins has more potential than Plecs, and Higs played centre too. Don't get me wrong, I really like Plecs, but he is further away from being our next # 1 centre than Higs.

Habbadasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 10:09 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

no

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 10:17 PM
Hotstreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
no

Hotstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 10:30 PM
Teufelsdreck

Plekanec is Koivu Lite. If the two had been in the same draft, he might have been selected 10 to 20 spots behind Koivu. Still, because of their similarities, Plekanec, of all the current Hab centers, would be the most natural replacement for Koivu in the event of injury. You couldn't replace Koivu with Bonk, Chipchura, or Grabovsky and get the same affinity with Higgins and Ryder.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 10:34 PM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Plekanec is not a Koivu type personality yet, he could be but I would bet against it.
Could he be the captain one day I would also bet against that because there are just too many other candidates I would put ahead of him.
He does play a similar style to Koivu and is of similar proportions if he could become as dynamite as a player as Koivu I would be ecstatic.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 10:35 PM
BORAT

No doubt there are enormous similarities between Plekanec and Koivu on the '' game '' that they bring to the table, both play smart and effective hockey in a similar fashion, they both seem to possess that calm and poise that make their teammates and coaches both say ... yup ... thats a heckuva NHL player.

Higgins is on a different level than Koivu, at his age I see ( don't blast me )

ENORMOUS similarities between Higgins and IGINLA

yes Iginla...

wawwawa !!! wait ! before you blast away :

Look at Iginla's stats his first five years, they are both 6 footish and I think It isn't unrealistic to expect to see them evolve similarily, Higgins has definitly proved he has a nose for the net and can protectthe puck !

so who knows ! that is Borat's opinion

BORAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2006, 10:38 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post

I agree, but I'd say alot less skilled offensively. Koivu's fiestiness makes him more of a threat offensively imo. I've seen Pleks get bumped off the puck and give up on the play on a few occasions, which is never the case with Koivu. It's things that will probably come with time. So far he doesn't seem to have the vision nor creativity that Koivu posseses...the passing skills are pretty up to par though.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2006, 02:55 AM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Quote:
Plekanec is our future Plekanec.
Well said: someone has his head screwed on right!

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2006, 03:23 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORAT View Post
No doubt there are enormous similarities between Plekanec and Koivu on the '' game '' that they bring to the table, both play smart and effective hockey in a similar fashion, they both seem to possess that calm and poise that make their teammates and coaches both say ... yup ... thats a heckuva NHL player.

Higgins is on a different level than Koivu, at his age I see ( don't blast me )

ENORMOUS similarities between Higgins and IGINLAyes Iginla...

wawwawa !!! wait ! before you blast away :

Look at Iginla's stats his first five years, they are both 6 footish and I think It isn't unrealistic to expect to see them evolve similarily, Higgins has definitly proved he has a nose for the net and can protectthe puck !

so who knows ! that is Borat's opinion
Higgins and...Iginla!!!! Not going to bash you but...!!!!

Iginla is a power forward (can fight and fight well, very tough, bodychecks like a beast!, will crash net if he has to, good shot, hockey sense...) Iginla is a more skilled Doan...Iginla is in the Shanahan category (power forward).

Higgins is a skilled two way player with lots of skill (great/smooth skater, great hockey sense, doesn't fight & great! can one day be our #1-2 center you just wait and see!, great shot especially wrist shot, very smart offensively/defensively). Higgins is a finesse/gritty skilled player, does that make sense?!!!...Maybe I'm thinking of comparing him to Brian Rolston, who is awesome as well (we should have gotten him as a UFA)...

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2006, 06:57 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4ever View Post

He plays with heart,
Fans love him

I like pleks, but it is a sin to compare any of our habs to god

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2006, 08:08 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Those who say Pleks doesn't have the same offensive potential...Guys...If his line clicks and we see Kovalev score around 80 pts (PPG if he plays a whole season, same scoring pace as last year) with Sammy scoring around 65-70ish (if Kovalev gets 80 then Sammy will get a bit less than that) then Pleks could potentially finish around 60-70 pts this year, mostly assits probably.

It's not that far off...People forget how many points Kovalev can put up. Yes he only had 65 last year but he also only played 69 games. If he stays healthy he will net 80 and his linemates will benefit from that.

It would be kinda funny though...All these years we ask for elite wingers for Koivu to show what he can do and we give them to Plekanec, who goes on to score 70 pts.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2006, 08:27 AM
Canadian_Brewtality

No im sorry but he dosent have Koivu's heart/Intensity

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2006, 11:11 AM
fatmax

AT some point last year I thought we could get rid of Koivu because I saw Plek playing the same type of game, I saw plekanec as a replacement for Koivu, however, he will never center the 1st line because I hope will find a better 1st line center than him (and if we got rid of koivu, I was expecting a center coming back to the habs via a trade).

Koivu centers the first line because: he will never give up, he is a relentless worker, he has tremendous leadership (acquired trough the years), he inspires his teammates and he's an example to follow. I don't see Plekanec achiving all this, the same way koivu did (however, I could be wrong), and that's why I don't see him as our 1st line center and as our captain.

Don't get me wrong, I love the way Plek plays, he's always in the opponent face and he is an awesome hockey player but I would like to see Higgins as our Captain because ...mmmh! after trying to find out reason why, I concluded that it could be a close race between them, my pros for Higgins look a lot like the pros for Plek !!!

mmmh! interesting

Future centermen (once koivu retire)
1st line: Higgins
2n line Plekanec

fatmax is offline   Reply With Quote