HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2013 Offseason Thread Part V: Streit signs with PHI (4 years, $5.25M per)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-13-2013, 06:02 AM
  #126
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
NHL free agency: Defensemen at premium this summer
Quote:
That leaves options like Ryan Whitney, 30, who last toiled for the Oilers. He’s a sizable 6-foot-4, 210 pounds, and has had some productive seasons. He’s coming off a six-year, $24-million contract and, like everyone else, will be seeking a raise.

Other defensemen headed toward UFA status include Marek Zidlicky, Joe Corvo, Andrew Ference and Ron Hainsey.

Signing a player on the market has the benefit of costing only money, not something in return. The Wings have an excess of forwards, but in order to trade for a high-end guy — like Phoenix’s Keith Yandle, for example — it’s going to cost talented young players or blue-chip prospects or a mix of both.
http://www.freep.com/article/2013061...TS05/306130039

The Rangers need to explore the market for DZ.

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
06-13-2013, 06:38 AM
  #127
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 9,955
vCash: 500
Mcbain sucks now his value isn't close to either Girardi or Staal. and Faulk is damn sure not worth both

Lundsanity30 is online now  
Old
06-13-2013, 07:02 AM
  #128
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,193
vCash: 500
1. Brayden Schenn (C)
2. Alexander Burmistrov (C) + Paul Postma (D)
3. Jordan Eberle (F)
4. Sean Couturier (C)
5. Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson (W) + Jeff Petry (D)

In a Del Zotto deal.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline  
Old
06-13-2013, 07:37 AM
  #129
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pass art by Brassard View Post
Playing on the 3rd line for a marginal team is not the same as playing on the 3rd line of a team that wants to be a Cup contender.

Chris Kelly had 9 points in 34 games this year. 3rd liner.


Here's my idea:

Trades:
MDZ + for Burmistrov + WPG 1st

Pyatt for McLeod + 5th '13

Asham for 4th '13

Richards Amnestied

Signings:
Raymond (2 years @ 2.75 million/season)
Scuderi (2 years @ 3 million/season)
Nystrom ( 3 years @ 1.75 million/season)



CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Carl Hagelin ($1.850m) / Derek Stepan ($3.200m) / Rick Nash ($7.800m)
Chris Kreider ($1.325m) / Derick Brassard ($3.200m) / Ryan Callahan ($4.275m)
Mason Raymond ($2.750m) / Alexander Burmistrov ($1.750m) / Derek Dorsett ($1.633m)
Cody McLeod ($1.150m) / Eric Nystrom ($1.750m) / Brian Boyle ($1.700m)
Darroll Powe ($1.067m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Ryan McDonagh ($3.750m) / Dan Girardi ($3.325m)
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Anton Stralman ($1.700m)
John Moore ($0.965m) / Rob Scuderi ($3.000m)
Steve Eminger ($0.850m) /

GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m)
Martin Biron ($1.300m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $59,190,000; BONUSES: $762,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $5,872,500

Boyle is more suited to wing, but he can help with face-offs on that 4th line. Nystrom's main deficiency at center is his faceoff skills, besides that he is a good defensive center.

Pk Mainly utilizes the bottom-6:
Boyle
Nystrom
Dorsett
Burmistrov
McLeod
Callahan

Stepan and Hagelin can PK but not needed.

Scuderi will help allow Moore to jump into the play quite a bit. He was a very good mentor for Doughty in LA and Letang/Goligoski in Pitt. Solid stay-at-home d-man.

NYR Viper is online now  
Old
06-13-2013, 08:11 AM
  #130
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,503
vCash: 500
Here's my issue with trading MDZ for Burmistrov. The kid has already said in no uncertain terms that he is not re-signing with that team. Why are we trading away a huge piece for that? When Rick Nash wanted out we didn't trade MDZ for him even though Howson was gaga over MDZ (I understand the situation is different, especially with the NTC, but the underlying factor of wanting out lowering value is the same). Now we are getting rid of a top 4 D for a guy who might break out soon AND isn't going to re-sign with his team? The pick is nice, but it would have to be a lot higher for this to look better. If MDZ is going to Winnipeg for Burmistrov, it better also include the pick AND another piece.

Championship* is offline  
Old
06-13-2013, 08:26 AM
  #131
Hellion
Stone Age Hockey
 
Hellion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Stavanger, Norway
Country: Norway
Posts: 4,914
vCash: 50
Malkin signed for 8 years / 76 million extension with Pens. So I guess he is out of the question then

per @penguins

Hellion is offline  
Old
06-13-2013, 08:29 AM
  #132
iamitter
Thornton's Hen
 
iamitter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,359
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
Chris Kelly had 9 points in 34 games this year. 3rd liner.


Here's my idea:

Trades:
MDZ + for Burmistrov + WPG 1st

Pyatt for McLeod + 5th '13

Asham for 4th '13

Richards Amnestied

Signings:
Raymond (2 years @ 2.75 million/season)
Scuderi (2 years @ 3 million/season)
Nystrom ( 3 years @ 1.75 million/season)



CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Carl Hagelin ($1.850m) / Derek Stepan ($3.200m) / Rick Nash ($7.800m)
Chris Kreider ($1.325m) / Derick Brassard ($3.200m) / Ryan Callahan ($4.275m)
Mason Raymond ($2.750m) / Alexander Burmistrov ($1.750m) / Derek Dorsett ($1.633m)
Cody McLeod ($1.150m) / Eric Nystrom ($1.750m) / Brian Boyle ($1.700m)
Darroll Powe ($1.067m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Ryan McDonagh ($3.750m) / Dan Girardi ($3.325m)
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Anton Stralman ($1.700m)
John Moore ($0.965m) / Rob Scuderi ($3.000m)
Steve Eminger ($0.850m) /

GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m)
Martin Biron ($1.300m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $59,190,000; BONUSES: $762,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $5,872,500

Boyle is more suited to wing, but he can help with face-offs on that 4th line. Nystrom's main deficiency at center is his faceoff skills, besides that he is a good defensive center.

Pk Mainly utilizes the bottom-6:
Boyle
Nystrom
Dorsett
Burmistrov
McLeod
Callahan

Stepan and Hagelin can PK but not needed.

Scuderi will help allow Moore to jump into the play quite a bit. He was a very good mentor for Doughty in LA and Letang/Goligoski in Pitt. Solid stay-at-home d-man.
Stepan's one of our best PKers, though. Weren't he and Callahan plus/nearly plus players on the PK this year?

iamitter is offline  
Old
06-13-2013, 08:48 AM
  #133
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
Stepan's one of our best PKers, though. Weren't he and Callahan plus/nearly plus players on the PK this year?
Yeah, and I wouldn't mind using them, but I think decreasing their minutes there may lead to more offense from them.

NYR Viper is online now  
Old
06-13-2013, 08:49 AM
  #134
Trxjw
Moderator
Bored.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,340
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
http://www.freep.com/article/2013061...TS05/306130039

The Rangers need to explore the market for DZ.
Yeah, but.. but.. we have a "Del Zotto is a disaster" thread. He's crap.

Trxjw is offline  
Old
06-13-2013, 08:51 AM
  #135
NYGBleedBlueNYR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,921
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
Yeah, and I wouldn't mind using them, but I think decreasing their minutes there may lead to more offense from them.
Not to mention less pucks to the body

NYGBleedBlueNYR is offline  
Old
06-13-2013, 08:53 AM
  #136
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils
 
Tanner Glass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NYC
Country: Austria
Posts: 16,720
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
Malkin signed for 8 years / 76 million extension with Pens. So I guess he is out of the question then

per @penguins
The guy that was making 8.7 goes up to 9.5

They are really moving into cap hell

__________________
Tanner Glass is offline  
Old
06-13-2013, 08:54 AM
  #137
Tawnos
Moderator
BoH Mod Only
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,233
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwayry View Post
Can you expand on that since you watched him a lot?
The games I watched against the Rangers, I was impressed by his skating, his willingness to use his size, good positioning.
Edit: And yes, his shot was nice too.
Since the own goal the canes fans want to get rid of him.
To me, he is worth a shot for a mid rd pick. For a roster player, he is not worth it.
Well, you must have watched a different player than me. He's soft on the puck. His positioning is just okay. He still makes mental mistakes. His skating leaves a lot to be desired, along with his strength. He isn't physical at all.

That being said, he has improved every year. You just wonder how much more improvement he can make at 25 years of age.

Tawnos is offline  
Old
06-13-2013, 08:55 AM
  #138
ecemleafs
Registered User
 
ecemleafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 9,946
vCash: 500
Malkin's contract seems a very good contract for us dealing with Henke. Malkin is one of the few players in the NHL that is at the same elite level as Lundqvist and his contract is 9.5m per year. Malkin plays a position that generally gets paid more money and Malkin's contract covers more "prime" years.

ecemleafs is offline  
Old
06-13-2013, 08:55 AM
  #139
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet
 
I Eat Crow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 6,053
vCash: 500
Pittsburgh must be ready to part with Kunitz or Neal. They can only keep one. If they're smart, they'll trade Kunitz when his value is high.

I Eat Crow is offline  
Old
06-13-2013, 08:58 AM
  #140
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
Pittsburgh must be ready to part with Kunitz or Neal. They can only keep one. If they're smart, they'll trade Kunitz when his value is high.
Neal has had a concussion, I wouldn't be surprised if they move him.

NYR Viper is online now  
Old
06-13-2013, 09:01 AM
  #141
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet
 
I Eat Crow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 6,053
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
Neal has had a concussion, I wouldn't be surprised if they move him.
I don't think so. Neal has unreal chemistry with Malkin, as Dupuis does with Crosby. Kunitz is the odd man out. Pittsburgh can get a kings ransom for a guy that scored 20 goals in a shortened season. I can see a team like Toronto being stupid and coughing up someone like Jake Gardiner for him.

I Eat Crow is offline  
Old
06-13-2013, 09:03 AM
  #142
ecemleafs
Registered User
 
ecemleafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 9,946
vCash: 500
the malkin contract doesnt begin until 2014-2015 so they dont have to do anything this offseason in regards to the million bump in caphit malkin will carry.

ecemleafs is offline  
Old
06-13-2013, 09:04 AM
  #143
Mikos87
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 1,674
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Championship View Post
Here's my issue with trading MDZ for Burmistrov. The kid has already said in no uncertain terms that he is not re-signing with that team. Why are we trading away a huge piece for that? When Rick Nash wanted out we didn't trade MDZ for him even though Howson was gaga over MDZ (I understand the situation is different, especially with the NTC, but the underlying factor of wanting out lowering value is the same). Now we are getting rid of a top 4 D for a guy who might break out soon AND isn't going to re-sign with his team? The pick is nice, but it would have to be a lot higher for this to look better. If MDZ is going to Winnipeg for Burmistrov, it better also include the pick AND another piece.

But but but he can dangle like the polygons in NHL 13, and people compare him to Datsyuk

Mikos87 is offline  
Old
06-13-2013, 09:15 AM
  #144
iamitter
Thornton's Hen
 
iamitter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,359
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
Malkin's contract seems a very good contract for us dealing with Henke. Malkin is one of the few players in the NHL that is at the same elite level as Lundqvist and his contract is 9.5m per year. Malkin plays a position that generally gets paid more money and Malkin's contract covers more "prime" years.
I'd rather look at other goalies' contracts. Goalies never get paid that much. Hank is still one of the top paid goaltenders in the league, years after signing his contract. I'd be shocked if he got over 7.5, particularly if he gets 8 years. Still overpaying, imo.

As much as this team is improved by Lundqvist, I'm not open to destroying everything this team has worked to become and throwing whatever money he wants at him because he wants a cup and we have to go all in. I'm more interested in building a competitive team, year after year. If that means saying no to him, I'm ok with it. This is the New York Rangers, not the New York Lundqvists.

iamitter is offline  
Old
06-13-2013, 09:17 AM
  #145
Mikos87
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 1,674
vCash: 500
The difference between Hank and other goalies is that he steals enough games to guarantee a playoff birth. The season when the Rangers didn't make the playoff in 2010, the back up goalie gave the Rangers 0 points. Zero. And the Rangers lost in a shoot out. He is that good.

Mikos87 is offline  
Old
06-13-2013, 09:32 AM
  #146
iamitter
Thornton's Hen
 
iamitter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,359
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikos87 View Post
The difference between Hank and other goalies is that he steals enough games to guarantee a playoff birth. The season when the Rangers didn't make the playoff in 2010, the back up goalie gave the Rangers 0 points. Zero. And the Rangers lost in a shoot out. He is that good.
Let's not pretend this is a team of Lundqvist and AHL scrubs. Just last year everyone here was bragging about how well we did even with Biron in net.

Lundqvist is not the only goalie in the game that can steal games.

iamitter is offline  
Old
06-13-2013, 09:55 AM
  #147
Trxjw
Moderator
Bored.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,340
vCash: 500
I might kick the tires on David Perron to see if the Blues would let him go. Concussions are obviously a concern, but it could drive down his value to the point where he'd be cheaper than expected. Cost-controlled for another few years as well.

Trxjw is offline  
Old
06-13-2013, 09:58 AM
  #148
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,506
vCash: 500
The bar has been set for Hank. $9.5M per.

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
06-13-2013, 10:03 AM
  #149
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,506
vCash: 500
The cap will be $66M-$67M in 14-15. $70M in 15-16. Malkin's deal kicks in 14-15.

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
06-13-2013, 10:08 AM
  #150
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls
 
Brian Boyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,589
vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDubiZib View Post
The guy that was making 8.7 goes up to 9.5

They are really moving into cap hell
Lundqvist is going to have to take a pay cut

__________________
Rangers Unlimited
Hockey Graphs
Brian Boyle is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:52 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.