HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers sign Mark Streit to a multi-year deal [4 yrs, $21m; $5.25 AAV] (post #1)

Closed Thread

Old
06-13-2013, 08:02 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 500
Even at 5.5, I'd do it. If you want 22-minute defensemen, you have to pay up. Either that or draft them. And we don't draft them.

Old
06-13-2013, 08:02 AM
BROOKLYnKNIGHTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I second this post.
He was reported by Newsday turning done 3 years at 4.75 per.
He wants four years which is what Philly is going to have to give him. He's confident that the length won't be an issue. Leaving NY isn't about the cash it's about that fourth year. No way is Streit getting anywhere close to 6 per. I see a four year 20 million deal.

Old
06-13-2013, 08:06 AM
Prongo
Beer

I said it yesterday but I think he signs a contract for 4 years 18 million dollars. It is a 4.5 which is better for the Flyers, and he gets his 4th year.

6 million
5 million
4 million
3 million.

Thats how I would do it if I was Homer.

Old
06-13-2013, 08:07 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Even at 5.5, I'd do it. If you want 22-minute defensemen, you have to pay up. Either that or draft them. And we don't draft them.
It seems to be in dispute that Streit can give a team 22 minutes of quality play a night. I'm not saying I'm against having him on the team – quite the contrary! – but I don't see Streit as a workhorse who can log the big minutes in all key situations. Fortunately, a theoretical Grossmann-Gustafsson third pairing means that nobody needs to be played into the ground.

Old
06-13-2013, 08:17 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
I said it yesterday but I think he signs a contract for 4 years 18 million dollars. It is a 4.5 which is better for the Flyers, and he gets his 4th year.

6 million
5 million
4 million
3 million.

Thats how I would do it if I was Homer.
That fourth year really worries me because of the 35+ deal. I think three years, barring any injury he will be an effective player. You get into that fourth year and I start to think he will be more of a hinderance than a help. At $4.5 million though, I think you are right. I would probably do it.

Old
06-13-2013, 08:19 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
It seems to be in dispute that Streit can give a team 22 minutes of quality play a night. I'm not saying I'm against having him on the team – quite the contrary! – but I don't see Streit as a workhorse who can log the big minutes in all key situations. Fortunately, a theoretical Grossmann-Gustafsson third pairing means that nobody needs to be played into the ground.
Well if you look at his splits through last year and even the year before, he still gives you big time minutes.

This year he averaged 18:15 per game on even strength play.
This year he averages 3:45 per game(PP QB, we need one desperately for the 2nd PP unit)
Even as a terrible defenseman which he has been portrayed as he averages 1:20 on the PK this year.
TTOI-23:20

Now the year before he had almost the same numbers.

Even strength ice per game was at 18:57
PP time per game was at 3:42
SH time was actually less at 0:42 per game.
TTOI-23:22

People see he was a minus and instantly think he is a horrible player. Pair him with a player like Grossmann or Coburn and let Streit do his thing, and we shouldn't worry about him. Streit will help this team move the puck out of our zone and contribute big points from the back end. We need this desperately. He has a great first pass and a good shot from the back. He also provides leadership, which we always need.

I have never seen a 3rd pairing defender play 23 mins a night. Seems like some Islander fans and other teams fans are just trolling anything and everything Flyers related. But that's not new.

Last edited by Prongo: 06-13-2013 at 08:36 AM.
Old
06-13-2013, 08:22 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
I think at the price he was obtained, he's the best fit for what Philly currently needs. They aren't going to use him to shut-down top pairings and will probably give him sheltered 5 v 5 minutes, rare PK time and a ton of PP time.

Old
06-13-2013, 08:33 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Minutes-wise he already was being used that way. He also doesn't have the same mileage as other heavily-used 35-year olds because of how long he played in the NLA. And he never averaged less than 23 minutes a game with the Islanders. The Flyers lacked the minutes eater when Matt Carle walked, and this year's UFA class is devoid of them, so guess what happens.

Old
06-13-2013, 08:43 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

It comes down to though that while we would need Streit to eat some minutes, Gustafsson and Grossmann on the 3rd pairing will be very helpful. One plays the pk and the other 2nd PP. We can even out the team alittle bit more and not worry giving too much time to players like Gervias.

Old
06-13-2013, 08:56 AM
Cmoneyflyguy

Can't wait until they sign him because the meltdowns on the board will be hilariously awesome!

Old
06-13-2013, 08:56 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
It comes down to though that while we would need Streit to eat some minutes, Gustafsson and Grossmann on the 3rd pairing will be very helpful. One plays the pk and the other 2nd PP. We can even out the team alittle bit more and not worry giving too much time to players like Gervias.
Seriously, we have legitimately three competitive pairings if all are healthy. When is the last time we had this?

I mean our top 4 is certainly not as good as it was in 2010, but we definitely didn't have 3 legitimate pairings.

Old
06-13-2013, 09:28 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

My prediction is 4 years/$21 million. I think it's high on money and years, but I think that's what it's going to take. They're gonna have to give him a really good deal to make him forget about testing free agency.

Old
06-13-2013, 09:34 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
My prediction is 4 years/$21 million. I think it's high on money and years, but I think that's what it's going to take. They're gonna have to give him a really good deal to make him forget about testing free agency.
Trade his rights at the draft like they did with Hammy.

Old
06-13-2013, 09:46 AM
TheNeutrality
Living out a lie

According to numerous swiss newspapers he didn't resign with the Islanders because he wants a new challenge (aka he wants to play for the cup). Salary and term haven't been the deciding factor.

http://www.tagesanzeiger.ch/sport/ho...story/21089834

I'll try to translate this article for you guys if I find the time to do so.

Old
06-13-2013, 10:00 AM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNeutrality View Post
According to numerous swiss newspapers he didn't resign with the Islanders because he wants a new challenge (aka he wants to play for the cup). Salary and term haven't been the deciding factor.

Yea this is what I was getting more of a feeling with. A team with a long standing history of bottom dwelling gets a shot at the playoffs and eventually gets destroyed by a team that got destroyed the next round. The comments he has made make it seem like he loves this org and its chances. You can't tell the team and fans that you don't want to play for them after being made captain because you don't like that teams chances, instead you tell them you are looking for more cash. I say 4 years 4.5 mill

Old
06-13-2013, 10:05 AM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

I would like to add Streit - as many people have pointed out, not losing any of our current assets for a defenseman is a solid move.

I was wondering, many people suggest getting rid of Mezaros - if we signed Streit to A 5.5 or 6 mil deal, would we still need to get rid of him for his contract hit? I'd rather go into the season with him, because you know we'll have injuries.

Old
06-13-2013, 10:06 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator View Post
I would like to add Streit - as many people have pointed out, not losing any of our current assets for a defenseman is a solid move.

I was wondering, many people suggest getting rid of Mezaros - if we signed Streit to A 5.5 or 6 mil deal, would we still need to get rid of him for his contract hit? I'd rather go into the season with him, because you know we'll have injuries.
Yeah, Mez will be the one with the injuries. Haha.

Old
06-13-2013, 10:10 AM
FLYERSFAN18

I could see us keeping Mez if both Briere and Bryz are bought out.

Old
06-13-2013, 10:12 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Minutes-wise he already was being used that way. He also doesn't have the same mileage as other heavily-used 35-year olds because of how long he played in the NLA. And he never averaged less than 23 minutes a game with the Islanders. The Flyers lacked the minutes eater when Matt Carle walked, and this year's UFA class is devoid of them, so guess what happens.
Carle struggled in that role so they let him go. Then Coburn took over and struggled even worse, and got hurt. Streit is certainly better than than both of them, but I have questions about how long that will last.

Either way it's better than trading Couturier or Schenn.

Edit: Actually, I think the problem we have is that our minute-eater isn't our best defenseman. That's far from ideal, but Timonen can't play that role anymore. I don't know that Streit can fix that, but hopefully he can improve the situation by a good bit.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 06-13-2013 at 10:18 AM.
Old
06-13-2013, 10:27 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYERSFAN18 View Post
I could see us keeping Mez if both Briere and Bryz are bought out.
would be a stupid move to keep Mez. Flyers need to get Gus (or another young defeneman) into their line-up as a regular so he can develop

Old
06-13-2013, 10:27 AM
Larry44
Flyers Tank Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNeutrality View Post

New adventure for Mark Streit

Adrian Ruch. Updated 06/06/2013

Mark Streit is looking for a new employer. "I want to go to a team that can compete for the Stanley Cup," says Berner.

On Tuesday was an article in the U.S. newspaper "Newsday" that Captain Mark Streit had rejected the offer of the New York Islanders for a contract extension and will leave the NHL franchise. The Bernese confirmed on the request message. "I will not return to the Islanders. We have recently agreed to break off the negotiations, "says the 35-year-old.

According to "Newsday" he should not have accepted a three-year contract for $ 4.75 million per season. The Berner says he wants to comment on any figures. "The pay was not the decisive factor; I am well aware that I was offered a lot of money."

----

"I am looking forward to a new challenge, a new adventure." He seeks a contract over three to four years. The salary should correspond to his ability, but the most important thing for him is something else: "I want to go to a team that can compete for the Stanley Cup."

Given how happy he was to be a Flyer, I still think we can get him at or under $5 million/year... Fingers crossed.

Old
06-13-2013, 10:34 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
New adventure for Mark Streit

Adrian Ruch. Updated 06/06/2013

Mark Streit is looking for a new employer. "I want to go to a team that can compete for the Stanley Cup," says Berner.

On Tuesday was an article in the U.S. newspaper "Newsday" that Captain Mark Streit had rejected the offer of the New York Islanders for a contract extension and will leave the NHL franchise. The Bernese confirmed on the request message. "I will not return to the Islanders. We have recently agreed to break off the negotiations, "says the 35-year-old.

According to "Newsday" he should not have accepted a three-year contract for $ 4.75 million per season. The Berner says he wants to comment on any figures. "The pay was not the decisive factor; I am well aware that I was offered a lot of money."

----

"I am looking forward to a new challenge, a new adventure." He seeks a contract over three to four years. The salary should correspond to his ability, but the most important thing for him is something else: "I want to go to a team that can compete for the Stanley Cup."

Given how happy he was to be a Flyer, I still think we can get him at or under $5 million/year... Fingers crossed.
I don't care if it's over 5m by a bit as long as we get him for 3 years.

Old
06-13-2013, 12:27 PM
dawkins121

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
Yea this is what I was getting more of a feeling with. A team with a long standing history of bottom dwelling gets a shot at the playoffs and eventually gets destroyed by a team that got destroyed the next round. The comments he has made make it seem like he loves this org and its chances. You can't tell the team and fans that you don't want to play for them after being made captain because you don't like that teams chances, instead you tell them you are looking for more cash. I say 4 years 4.5 mill
Islanders were a nice story this year and JT is a legit top tier player, but sneaking into the 8th seed in a lockout shortened season doesn't erase the fact that when you look up and down their lineup it's not very impressive. The Flyers are full of question marks but at least the talent is there on paper.

Old
06-13-2013, 12:46 PM
ahthorne

I think Streit would just like playing on a team that extends as much as it can in an attempt to win instead of a team at the cap floor. Be one of many well-paid players instead of one of three.

I think something like $18mil over 4 could be manageable. 6, 6, 3 and 3. Give him that extra year but lower salary on those years. He gets 6mil in the meantime and gets his 4 year term too. AAV of $4.5. I don't like the extra year, but not much you can do.

You know Streit is going to be compared to Andrei Markov in the meetings, and look how much Markov got. Even comparing Streit to Gonchar is a bad idea because Gonchar is 4 years older and still got $5mil per. I think getting it below $5mil will be a challenge, but I could see it. I would be more surprised by a contract with an AAV of under $5mil than one over.

---

Anybody else still have a bad feeling that Holmgren still has Couturier/whoever he's been dangling on the block? In hopes to get a #1 winger or even Keith Yandle? I've got a knot in my stomach and I'm sure it won't go away all offseason...

Old
06-13-2013, 12:47 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Good God, I made the Bill Meltzer appreciation thread in the Trade Forum on accident. MODS!

Closed Thread