HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rumors and Speculation Thread #6

Closed Thread

Old
06-12-2013, 09:17 PM
FLYERSFAN18

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RespectTheMajor View Post
I hope not,
I hope not either. Its just something I worry about Holmgren doing. Also worry about him trading Couturier. If he wants another winger for giroux I hope he keeps Couts

Old
06-12-2013, 09:29 PM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
No to Schenn on G s wing until after his next contract. He could flirt with 70 pts on G s wing IMO.

Old
06-12-2013, 09:33 PM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
No to Schenn on G s wing until after his next contract. He could flirt with 70 pts on G s wing IMO.
I feel you on the contract thing. But I would not sacrifice success this year for a better contract next year. I want the team to do well and ultimately win the cup. If Schenn has a great season and ultimately gets a larger contract , the so be it.

Edit: also would like to mention that it would make it almost impossible to not have Couts as the 2nd line center and Laughton on the third if Schenn had a season like that. Which would mean that Holmgren would almost have to keep the three of them

Old
06-12-2013, 11:22 PM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
So you're saying that you are willing to have the team significantly worse developmentally to save cash on a contract?

In theory, is Schenn moves up to G's wing, Couturier can be a 2nd line center and actually start using his God-given offensive capabilities. By not doing that, he's relegated to 3rd line center again and it will hurt two cornerstones of this franchise's development simultaneously.

Not worth saving the $ buddy. That's a good problem to have in my book.

Old
06-13-2013, 01:38 AM
Wiqkid*

These rosters are hilarious.
READ + MESZAROS + A 3RD FOR BROWN AND BERNIER? ROFL I dare you to post that on the Trade board.

Old
06-13-2013, 01:42 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiqkid View Post
These rosters are hilarious.
READ + MESZAROS + A 3RD FOR BROWN AND BERNIER? ROFL I dare you to post that on the Trade board.
God no, I don't want us to turn into Leafs fans.

Old
06-13-2013, 06:50 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPhilly View Post
That is fair. I still don't want Iginla though, don't think he has anything left based on how he was this playoffs.
I think he has enough left in the tank to be a solid contributor. He's not going to drop 50 goals, but the guy can still play. He had 33 points in 44 games this year, most of his time spent on a pretty awful Flames team. I think if he came here he could probably put up 60-70 points depending on what line they place him. I wouldn't break the bank to get him, but a 36 year old Iginla is not dead in the water.

Old
06-13-2013, 07:15 AM
Prongo
Beer

https://twitter.com/IgorEronko/statu...51981335220228

Quote:
#Coyotes pending RFA D David Rundblad may leave #NHL for #KHL per his agent via @EkExpressen

Old
06-13-2013, 07:56 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
most of those "threatening to leave for the KHL" tobits are just negotiation tactics, especially for RFAs

Old
06-13-2013, 07:58 AM
Brostradamus
LegionOfDoom Reunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevensCakeBakerBacker View Post
I doubt all the issues surrounding that game were ironed out in a week. Also, if it were the outdoor game, wouldn't the Pens be making an announcement?
Why would the Pens be making that announcement... Everyone knows that stadium will be majority our fanbase. If anything it will be a "neutral game" since its right smack in the middle of the state. I'd say out of the 112,000 people that stadium can hold, minimum 65,000 would be in orange and black.

Old
06-13-2013, 08:00 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
most of those "threatening to leave for the KHL" tobits are just negotiation tactics, especially for RFAs
Rundblad's a little different though. He has put in his time in the AHL and probably wants to be in the NHL. He can make more money in the KHL than in the AHL ad possibly NHL. It depends on if he really wants the money or chance at playing in the NHL. It hurts his trade value some you would think though.

Old
06-13-2013, 08:15 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brostradamus View Post
Why would the Pens be making that announcement... Everyone knows that stadium will be majority our fanbase. If anything it will be a "neutral game" since its right smack in the middle of the state. I'd say out of the 112,000 people that stadium can hold, minimum 65,000 would be in orange and black.
I'm not so sure of those numbers. Granted I didn't live in State College, but I lived in Harrisburg for years and it was a pretty even split, with probably a slight edge to Pitt fans. Hockey was the closest split, but still I think there were more Pitt fans. Baseball and Football was a pretty big mix of Eagles, Steelers, Ravens, and Redskins (I used to hang out at a Redskins bar) for the NFL and Pirates, Phillies, Orioles, and Nats (lots of Nats fans out there becuase of the Senators being in Harrisburg).

Old
06-13-2013, 09:05 AM
RussianRocket10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Then it's settled. We will offer sheet Rundblad.

Old
06-13-2013, 09:12 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRocket10 View Post
Then it's settled. We will offer sheet Rundblad.
Is he better than Gustafsson at this point?

Legitimate question here...if we sign Streit, does Rundblad even make our team?

Old
06-13-2013, 09:20 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post

Long term he could be better than Gustafsson plus he is right handed, but your right, there really isn't a spot right now. Maybe if they traded Coburn or Grossman, you could pair him with Timonen with Kimmo because there's possible shutdown guy on that pair.

Timonen-Rundblad
Streit-Schenn
Gus-Grossman/Coburn

Old
06-13-2013, 09:23 AM
FLYERSFAN18

If we get Streit signed we then need to figure out what we are doing about the goaltending situation and then explore options of another winger. I don't think there are any defenseman out there worth getting that will be worth what we have to pay for them. Lets just hope Streit signs a good deal for us

Old
06-13-2013, 09:24 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:

His ppg numbers in both the AHL and NHL are very similar to Gustafsson's. I believe Rundblad has the higher offensive ceiling but Gus is clearly the better player now (same offense, better defense), though Rundblad is two years younger. It's a shame cause I really wanted him on the Flyers and if they didn't just trade for Streit I'd want the Flyers to be all over this. Now I really don't see it happening.

Old
06-13-2013, 09:27 AM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYERSFAN18 View Post
If we get Streit signed we then need to figure out what we are doing about the goaltending situation and then explore options of another winger. I don't think there are any defenseman out there worth getting that will be worth what we have to pay for them. Lets just hope Streit signs a good deal for us
Pick up Rundblad for ?
Trade Read for Bernier

Old
06-13-2013, 09:27 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
Long term he could be better than Gustafsson plus he is right handed, but your right, there really isn't a spot right now. Maybe if they traded Coburn or Grossman, you could pair him with Timonen with Kimmo because there's possible shutdown guy on that pair.

Timonen-Rundblad
Streit-Schenn
Gus-Grossman/Coburn
He's definitely not better than Coburn or Grossmann. I'm not in favor of depleting from our defense just to have a hope that Rundblad turns into something solid. I doubt the organization differs from that opinion. That implies that if we're getting him, we're getting him for the future. So, if he is threatening KHL for playing time in the bigs, we can't really do anything since we're certainly not going to diminish our blueline on a prayer. We have Gostisbehere coming up, and Gustafsson is showing some great things. If we draft someone like Ristolainen, then what is the point of Rundblad?

I say we start ignoring the situation. Streit was a play to demonstrate a certain level of patience with our blueline development. Let's continue that.

Old
06-13-2013, 09:45 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Another dream world lineup...

Trade Couturier for Ryan. Sign Streit. Offer sheet Shattenkirk. Re-sign Gagne. Sign Greiss (or other backup goalie to something like $1 million). Buy out Bryz and Briere. Trade Mez for whatever. Pronger LTIR. Would be a solid lineup and leave the money needed to sign Read, Schenn, and Giroux.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Bobby Ryan ($5.100m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m) / Jakub Voracek ($4.250m)
Scott Hartnell ($4.750m) / Brayden Schenn ($3.110m) / Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m)
Simon Gagne ($2.300m) / Scott Laughton ($1.107m) / Matt Read ($0.900m)
Zac Rinaldo ($0.750m) / Maxime Talbot ($1.750m) / Tye McGinn ($0.775m)
Jay Rosehill ($0.675m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Kevin Shattenkirk ($6.500m) / Kimmo Timonen ($6.000m)
Braydon Coburn ($4.500m) / Mark Streit ($4.800m)
Luke Schenn ($3.600m) / Nicklas Grossmann ($3.500m)
Bruno Gervais ($0.825m) /
GOALTENDERS
Steve Mason ($1.500m)
Thomas Greiss ($0.900m)
OTHER
Buyout: Oskars Bartulis ($0.100m)
Buyout: Ilya Bryzgalov ($0.000m)
Buyout: Danny Briere ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $65,416,667; BONUSES: $2,350,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,233,333

Old
06-13-2013, 09:47 AM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Another dream world lineup...

Trade Couturier for Ryan. Sign Streit. Offer sheet Shattenkirk. Re-sign Gagne. Sign Greiss (or other backup goalie to something like $1 million). Buy out Bryz and Briere. Trade Mez for whatever. Pronger LTIR. Would be a solid lineup and leave the money needed to sign Read, Schenn, and Giroux.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Bobby Ryan ($5.100m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m) / Jakub Voracek ($4.250m)
Scott Hartnell ($4.750m) / Brayden Schenn ($3.110m) / Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m)
Simon Gagne ($2.300m) / Scott Laughton ($1.107m) / Matt Read ($0.900m)
Zac Rinaldo ($0.750m) / Maxime Talbot ($1.750m) / Tye McGinn ($0.775m)
Jay Rosehill ($0.675m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Kevin Shattenkirk ($6.500m) / Kimmo Timonen ($6.000m)
Braydon Coburn ($4.500m) / Mark Streit ($4.800m)
Luke Schenn ($3.600m) / Nicklas Grossmann ($3.500m)
Bruno Gervais ($0.825m) /
GOALTENDERS
Steve Mason ($1.500m)
Thomas Greiss ($0.900m)
OTHER
Buyout: Oskars Bartulis ($0.100m)
Buyout: Ilya Bryzgalov ($0.000m)
Buyout: Danny Briere ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $65,416,667; BONUSES: $2,350,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,233,333
It actually a really good team. I just am totally against trading Couts. If we can trade Read instead for Ryan then I would do that, but I do not want to trade Couts

Old
06-13-2013, 09:50 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
He's definitely not better than Coburn or Grossmann. I'm not in favor of depleting from our defense just to have a hope that Rundblad turns into something solid. I doubt the organization differs from that opinion. That implies that if we're getting him, we're getting him for the future. So, if he is threatening KHL for playing time in the bigs, we can't really do anything since we're certainly not going to diminish our blueline on a prayer. We have Gostisbehere coming up, and Gustafsson is showing some great things. If we draft someone like Ristolainen, then what is the point of Rundblad?

I say we start ignoring the situation. Streit was a play to demonstrate a certain level of patience with our blueline development. Let's continue that.
The thing that stinks is that Grossman, Gus, and Meszaros aren't really reliable to stay on the ice. Plus Timonen is done after this year and there isn't anybody NHL ready to replace him in the system unless Alt progresses a lot this year. Anybody the Flyers draft this year won't be NHL ready realistically for a 2-3 seasons. Rundblad is as ready as he is going to get. Yes you would weaken the defense this year, but are the Flyers winning the cup this year anyway? If you could get him for pennies on the dollar, it wouldn't be a bad move long term but that requires some forward thinking, something the Flyers lack.

Old
06-13-2013, 10:06 AM
TheKingPin

It's amazing to think the flyers skill level if couts and schenn work out well. I mean imagine what this team looks like if schenn is a 70 pt player...

Old
06-13-2013, 10:16 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
The thing that stinks is that Grossman, Gus, and Meszaros aren't really reliable to stay on the ice. Plus Timonen is done after this year and there isn't anybody NHL ready to replace him in the system unless Alt progresses a lot this year. Anybody the Flyers draft this year won't be NHL ready realistically for a 2-3 seasons. Rundblad is as ready as he is going to get. Yes you would weaken the defense this year, but are the Flyers winning the cup this year anyway? If you could get him for pennies on the dollar, it wouldn't be a bad move long term but that requires some forward thinking, something the Flyers lack.
I don't know whether it's cautious optimism or a complete disregard for non-drafted names (particularly players not drafted in the 1st), but the way we toss aside Gustafsson's progress on this board is somewhat criminal.

Some didn't feel comfortable with him in a top 4 role despite the play level he's had since returning 100% from injury. I understand that. He's still primarily unproven.

However, he's only 24 and has a ceiling of roughly the same heights as Rundblad. Runblad may be 2 years younger, but he still has to not only bridge the gap between himself and Gustafsson, but also jump it significantly for there to be any reason to acquire him considering all the points I mentioned.

I think we should work it out with Gustafsson. Sure, we don't expect to be winning the Cup this year, but down the road, Coburn or Grossmann offer a better shot at the Cup for us in the next 3 years than Rundblad.

Old
06-13-2013, 10:20 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Bingo. The Flyers aren't a Stanley Cup contending team, so why not take a chance on a guy like Rundblad? So what if Grossmann, Meszaros or Coburn are moved so that the Flyers can work a guy like Rundblad into the lineup. Sometimes a team needs to take the lumps in order to get to the next level and this is one franchise that doesn't want to seem to take those lumps. Everything is quick fix. I say move forward with adding a young puck moving defender like Rundblad into the lineup and let him learn from a Timonen. Use Schenn in a second pairing role with Streit and then use Gustafsson with either Coburn or Grossmann on the third pairing.

Closed Thread