HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

New Captains?

Old
06-13-2013, 09:33 AM
por2gues

vCash: 500
I wouldn't be surprised if KO was named Captain. During the playoff run, KO was the one who was constantly touted as the vocal leader in the dressing room.

KO - C
JT - A
TH - A

por2gues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 09:34 AM
SaintTavares

vCash: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse View Post
I have some concerns about making JT captain. Mainly because it seems like young guys who get named captain get weighed down by the responsibility.

I would say give it to KO, but with his just turning the corner, I don't want to do that to him either.

Frans is 29, plays both sides of the puck well, seems to fit in well with the team, gets plenty of ice time and is signed for the next three years (so there's hope for stability). Plus, he'd be the first Danish NHL captain, so, history!

Nielsen - C
Home A's
JT
Hammer
Away A's
KO
AMac
Yea it looks like Crosby and Toews really struggled after they were named captain.

SaintTavares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 09:50 AM
DarkHorse
Go Banana!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintTavares View Post
Yea it looks like Crosby and Toews really struggled after they were named captain.
When JT has the supporting staff around him that they had, then we can compare them.

DarkHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 09:56 AM
iLandHer

I personally think JT is a better leader than Crosby. His attitude is better and I think he has to work more for what he's done.

iLandHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 10:07 AM
SaintTavares

vCash: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse View Post
When JT has the supporting staff around him that they had, then we can compare them.
Well you made a generalization about young captains not doing well. The only guys who got the C when they were young that I can think of are Crosby, Toews, Lecavalier, and Landeskog. One didn't work out, one is still a new captain, and the other two have succeeded. So basing your original statement off of that, only one guy seemed to have a problem wearing the C so far.

SaintTavares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 11:30 AM
John TavArt Ross

It's only right that Yashin gets the C for his last two seasons.

John TavArt Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 11:33 AM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCycleDriveBy View Post
I personally think JT is a better leader than Crosby. His attitude is better and I think he has to work more for what he's done.
How can u even eval the two. we have no true idea how Vocal either are in there dressing rooms.

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 11:34 AM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by John TavArt Ross View Post
It's only right that Yashin gets the C for his last two seasons.
Ladies and gentleman we have a winner

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 12:25 PM
OrangeZebra
Unregistered User

C - Tavares
A - Hamonic
A - MacDonald/Nielsen/Martin

OrangeZebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 12:58 PM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

Send a message via MSN to MattMartin
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesRock4 View Post
C - Nino
A - Donovan
A - Nelson

No?
No DP??????? No Strome???? Your powers are weak old man! I also find your lack of faith.....Disturbing!!!

MattMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 09:32 PM
bigtim1988
veteran user.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichOnTheLI View Post
Maybe they do the same thing like a couple of seasons ago where there are 2 sets of alternate captains for home and away games.

C - Tavares
A - Nielsen / Visnovsky
A - Okposo / Hamonic

Something like this would be more than acceptable!
agreed. Johnny is the heir apparent, and it wouldn't make any sense to give the C to anyone else. this is his team, and he leads by example.

i wouldnt have any qualms giving a guy like mc donald or martin an A, but i guess it wont really matter either way

bigtim1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 10:29 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

C - Tavares
A - Hamonic
A - Martin

Just like that.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 02:00 AM
rikker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeZebra View Post
C - Tavares
A - Hamonic
A - MacDonald/Nielsen/Martin
without really knowing who is most respected by the players and the management, i like this.

maybe Hammer and Martin at home, and AMac, Nielson on the road?

and while Martin is technically on the 4th line, IMO, it is a 3B line. him and Zeek should be 3A, IMO...

i like Zeek for his leadership, effortwise, but i think he is a bit of a wild one... give him a year or two, and he might be worthy of an A.

rikker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 02:13 AM
Abraham85

Tavares carried the entire team on his back for extended stretches this season and he's a four year vet. He if anyone should be the captain.

Abraham85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 02:38 AM
IslandersFan17

I am a little shocked at two things.
1) That anyone can even argue that Tavares should not be the captain. I understand the rational for Okposo. I fore one have vocalized on numerous occasions my endorsement of Okposo for the C. How quickly some forget that Okposo was the new budding face of this franchise long before Tavares was even a twinkle in the Islanders eye. Thus, i could see why some would campaign pro Okposo, among other attributes that make Kyle a quality candidate. However, to say Tavares might not be ready or that the weight of the letter would prove to be to much weight to bare... If anyone is ready, its the kid who has been in the spotlight since he stepped on skates. Mind you, all in one of the most media influenced circus territories hockey has to offer.

Then upon being drafted becomes the target of scrutiny in regards to his ability and his desire to have to resurrect a floundering franchise. All the while basically having to deal with his hometown media asking how soon will he ditch the Islanders and come play for Toronto. Only to sign an extension with the Islanders. Take the team on his back night in and night out, show raw emotion time after time, and improve night in and night out. Ascending both him self and the Islanders into a nationally recognized franchise again.

2) The varying opinion on Okposo's status as any type of letter. The range from C to absolutely no letter what so ever is kind of perplexing. When you consider Kyle has worn an A for the majority of his career on the Island, to assume the kid would be totally void of at least that is silly, no? I can see why some would argue against a C but to not even nominate the kid for an A is just not using your noodle.

IslandersFan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 07:21 AM
crashthenet

Quote:
Originally Posted by aIsle21 View Post
JT - C
Okposo - A
Hamonic - A
Cizikas - A

I think Cizikas has Captain like qualities.
Both he and Martin would do well to have an A.

crashthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 07:23 AM
crashthenet

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandersFan17 View Post
1) That anyone can even argue that Tavares should not be the captain. I understand the rational for Okposo. I fore one have vocalized on numerous occasions my endorsement of Okposo for the C. How quickly some forget that Okposo was the new budding face of this franchise long before Tavares was even a twinkle in the Islanders eye. Thus, i could see why some would campaign pro Okposo, among other attributes that make Kyle a quality candidate. However, to say Tavares might not be ready or that the weight of the letter would prove to be to much weight to bare... If anyone is ready, its the kid who has been in the spotlight since he stepped on skates. Mind you, all in one of the most media influenced circus territories hockey has to offer.

Then upon being drafted becomes the target of scrutiny in regards to his ability and his desire to have to resurrect a floundering franchise. All the while basically having to deal with his hometown media asking how soon will he ditch the Islanders and come play for Toronto. Only to sign an extension with the Islanders. Take the team on his back night in and night out, show raw emotion time after time, and improve night in and night out. Ascending both him self and the Islanders into a nationally recognized franchise again.

2) The varying opinion on Okposo's status as any type of letter. The range from C to absolutely no letter what so ever is kind of perplexing. When you consider Kyle has worn an A for the majority of his career on the Island, to assume the kid would be totally void of at least that is silly, no? I can see why some would argue against a C but to not even nominate the kid for an A is just not using your noodle.
Okposo finally established himself as a leader. Would be a huge setback for him not to have a letter.

crashthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 10:06 AM
Islanderfan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
C-Tavares
A-Okposo
A-Hamonic
Definitely this. They were our three best players in the playoffs, they stepped it up big time.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 01:39 PM
iLandHer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
How can u even eval the two. we have no true idea how Vocal either are in there dressing rooms.
Not that it showed everything, but there was a show called 24/7 that featured the Penguins.

And I am making the judgement based off of how they interact in the media and my perception of how they interact with their teammates.

iLandHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 07:47 PM
rikker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandersFan17 View Post

2) When you consider Kyle has worn an A for the majority of his career on the Island, to assume the kid would be totally void of at least that is silly, no? I can see why some would argue against a C but to not even nominate the kid for an A is just not using your noodle.
true. i don't know why i excluded him.

JT, KO, AMac, Hammer and Martin

rikker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 08:06 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Big Brock

I'm up for giving Visnovsky an A.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 08:11 PM
NYI JT91
(Islesallday)

vCash: 102
Tavares - C
Martin / Nielsen - A (Home)
Hamonic / Okposo - A (Away)

NYI JT91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 11:44 AM
startainfection

c -tavares
home a's
Scuderi and Okposo
away a's
Lubo and Nielsen

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 03:07 PM
mitchy22

C - John Tavares
A - Kyle Okposo
A - Nielsen/Hamonic/Martin 3-way race

I think the first two get full-time letters and deservedly so. I'm pretty sure I've heard that KO has become vocal in the room. I could see Vis getting an "A", but I'd rather keep it with the guys who have been here longer (most of whom will be continue to be here longer.)

If I had to whittle it down to three, I'd go with this:
C - John Tavares
A - Kyle Okposo
A - Travis Hamonic

I'd prefer they only go with three captains at this point. I don't think any player on the squad would overly complain about the above being the choices.

If we end up with alternating home and away alternate captains:
C - John Tavares
HOME A - Kyle Okposo
HOME A - Matt Martin
AWAY A - Frans Nielsen
AWAY A - Travis Hamonic

I like the idea of your captains being out there for the overwhelming majority of the game. If they're the leaders of the team, you want them out there leading by example. They're also the guys who talk to the refs without getting immediately waved away.

I guess we could see them alternate only one "A", but I think I've put enough hypotheticals into this post. Plus, you can tell how I'd work it from the first paragraph.
One day, maybe I'll learn to just post the name of three guys with some letters next to them.

Mitch

mitchy22 is offline   Reply With Quote