HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part LXII - All Talk From Around the League Here

Closed Thread

Old
06-13-2013, 11:05 AM
Gustave

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
Even Chicago looked helpless.
Easy there. Boston is all the rage now but as a matter of fact, Chicago outshot the B's even though they got a couple of PP's in OT.

Besides all that, the Hawks came back twice and got the win. Deservedly. Not a single moment did the Hawks look helpless.

Old
06-13-2013, 11:12 AM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Can't see it, if you trade him then you have no catalyst to move the puck, I would move Martin, Fleury, Neal before moving Letang if I was them.
They made it pretty clear that Fleury isn't going anywhere and Neal is the best bang for your buck on the team. Martin can certainly go though. Letang has a lot of value. They could get a young winger and puck moving defenceman for him. Despres is also ready for the NHL.

Old
06-13-2013, 11:14 AM
Andy

Quote:
Even Chicago looked helpless.
I'm not sure about that, take a look at this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CertainAffinity View Post
Holy mother of crap. The Corsi numbers for that game were not anywhere near as close as I thought they would be.

http://timeonice.com/shots1213.php?gamenumber=30411

Granted, Corsi doesn't show everything. I think as far as legitimately threatening scoring changes, Boston had more than Chicago (lets say 30 to 20). But those numbers show A LOT of puck possession and control of the play from Chicago. Lop-sided.
The Corsi numbers actually reflect what most us were posting last night. The Bruins had their fair of chances, most of which came at the end of the second OT and pretty much the entire third OT, but the Hawks drove the play. The puck was on a Hawks player stick for most of the night, they were buzzing, Bruins did an excellent job blocking shot lanes.

The Hawks were far from helpless and I would say that they were the better team, by a close margin in a game that could have gone either way.

Also, I wouldn't dismiss advanced or fancy stats, especially when they are employed by nhl teams. I believe there is a quote somewhere with Chiarelli, the Bruins master mind, saying you shouldn't rely on advanced stats, but they help paint a picture of what's going on in another way. Dave Tippett of the Coyotes also has admitted to using advanced stats as well: http://www.defendingbigd.com/2012/4/...-matt-niskanen

Quote:
"We had a player that was supposed to be a great, shut-down defenseman. He was supposedly the be-all, end-all of defensemen. But when you did a 10-game analysis of him, you found out he was defending all the time because he can’t move the puck.

"Then we had another guy, who supposedly couldn’t defend a lick. Well, he was defending only 20 percent of the time because he’s making good plays out of our end. He may not be the strongest defender, but he’s only doing it 20 percent of the time. So the equation works out better the other way. I ended up trading the other defenseman."

Tippett is describing the impact of offensive zone possession time on the results that occur when a given player is on the ice. Player A can be a good defender, but if he is constantly defending instead of carrying the attack away from his net he is endangering the results of the team as a whole. Another implication of his statements is the value of defensemen with the ability to move the puck effectively

Last edited by Andy: 06-13-2013 at 11:20 AM.
Old
06-13-2013, 11:18 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Crosby must be happy, having Malkin there with him is a good thing. In terms of the money Crosby got a bigger extension last year 12 years 104.4 mil, no reason to be angry about that.

Can't see it, if you trade him then you have no catalyst to move the puck, I would move Martin, Fleury, Neal before moving Letang if I was them.
That's why they drafted Pouliot. Despres is also pretty good in that aspect. I guess we will soon find out, should be an interesting summer around the league

Old
06-13-2013, 11:18 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Feel about what? Crosby signed a 12 year deal and Malkin because of the new CBA cannot be signed longer then 8 years.

Also

Crosby will receive $95.4 million of that over the first nine years, including an annual salary of $12 million for three seasons starting in 2013-'14.

You think he cares?
I thought Sid's cap hit was 8.7M? And Malkin at 9.5M may make a stir with the agent, more than Sid...

Old
06-13-2013, 11:20 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustave View Post
Easy there. Boston is all the rage now but as a matter of fact, Chicago outshot the B's even though they got a couple of PP's in OT.

Besides all that, the Hawks came back twice and got the win. Deservedly. Not a single moment did the Hawks look helpless.
It was a good game, played by both teams...they match up well, and this should be a 6 or 7 game series...unless Rask becomes ordinary...

Old
06-13-2013, 11:22 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
I thought Sid's cap hit was 8.7M? And Malkin at 9.5M may make a stir with the agent, more than Sid...
It is a bigger cap hit but you're forgetting an extra 4 years of Crosby @ 8.7

In 9 years from now no one can guarantee that Malkin at 36 years old will be making 8.7 million per year for 4 years. That's an extra 34.8 million

Old
06-13-2013, 11:33 AM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post

The Corsi numbers actually reflect what most us were posting last night. The Bruins had their fair of chances, most of which came at the end of the second OT and pretty much the entire third OT, but the Hawks drove the play. The puck was on a Hawks player stick for most of the night, they were buzzing, Bruins did an excellent job blocking shot lanes.

The Hawks were far from helpless and I would say that they were the better team, by a close margin in a game that could have gone either way.

Also, I wouldn't dismiss advanced or fancy stats, especially when they are employed by nhl teams. I believe there is a quote somewhere with Chiarelli, the Bruins master mind, saying you shouldn't rely on advanced stats, but they help paint a picture of what's going on in another way. Dave Tippett of the Coyotes also has admitted to using advanced stats as well: http://www.defendingbigd.com/2012/4/...-matt-niskanen
Quite a bit of that is just score effects too. The team trailing usually dominants the shot clock and that was Chicago for much of the game.

Old
06-13-2013, 11:49 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
Quite a bit of that is just score effects too. The team trailing usually dominants the shot clock and that was Chicago for much of the game.
That's also true. However, the point here was to show that the Hawks weren't "helpless".

While it's true that Chicago needed to pick up the pace once the lead was conceded, I found that once the game was tied, Chicago continued to dictate the play until late in the second OT. Same for the first, until Lucic's goal, Chicago drove the play.

Overall, I thought the game was pretty even and could have gone either way. While I found that Chicago drove possession, whether that was because they trailed, perhaps. I don't know, but to say that Chicago looked helpless, I disagree entirely.

Old
06-13-2013, 11:54 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
They made it pretty clear that Fleury isn't going anywhere and Neal is the best bang for your buck on the team. Martin can certainly go though. Letang has a lot of value. They could get a young winger and puck moving defenceman for him. Despres is also ready for the NHL.
All they said was "Fleury is still our #1", doesn't stop them from trading or buying him out, just stops the rumors in the media for a few weeks. I rarely believe GM's in the papers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
That's why they drafted Pouliot. Despres is also pretty good in that aspect. I guess we will soon find out, should be an interesting summer around the league
None of those guys is anywhere close to replacing Letang. Despres is not even an offensive guy, more a stay at home type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
The only reason Malkin has a higher cap hit is the new CBA because Crosby signed a "cap circumventing" contract under the old CBA for 12 years.

Old
06-13-2013, 11:59 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 1h Weber/Suter deals have skewed high-end D market. Safe bet to assume Letang will be looking for at least double his current $3.5M salary.

Subban also?

6-7 years at 7 mil per year.

Old
06-13-2013, 12:20 PM
sheed36

Any word on Horton's injury?

Old
06-13-2013, 12:21 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakaar10iemechx2012 View Post
Why exactly are we trading the only guy to crash the net during the playoffs ? He is also the size we are already lacking. How about switching him for our 5'7 captain ?
He is injury prone and based on his history, regressing with age, and his physicality can easily disappear come next season. No one would want Gionta.

Old
06-13-2013, 01:09 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
Any word on Horton's injury?
Minor, will probably miss game 2.

Old
06-13-2013, 01:16 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...is-summer.html

Old
06-13-2013, 01:38 PM
Price My Man Crush

http://tvasports.ca/hockey/un-espoir...-noye-13062013

Holy ****.

Old
06-13-2013, 01:43 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mover View Post
Kevin Forbes ‏@kforbesy 5m Tough day on the hockey prospect front with the news on both Edmonton's Kristian Pelss and Dallas's Scott Winkler.

Old
06-13-2013, 02:05 PM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post

Way to take one part of the post an put it out of context, when I specifically commented about the first two periods of overtime.

Keep those ridiculous micro-stats for yourself. The fact is, 9 times out of 10, Boston scores that winning goal in the first two periods of OT. They were playing way better hockey than Chicago, who just kept begging to get beaten by giving the puck to the Boston Ds every time they attacked by attempting ridiculous plays/dekes.

For two periods of OT, Boston made Chicago look like a bunch of pee-wees. No matter the number of shots and puck possession time.

Old
06-13-2013, 02:08 PM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
He is injury prone and based on his history, regressing with age, and his physicality can easily disappear come next season. No one would want Gionta.
I'm not sure about that. He cried in front of Therrien, which makes him the best captain in the NHL...

Old
06-13-2013, 02:12 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Kevin Forbes ‏@kforbesy 5m Tough day on the hockey prospect front with the news on both Edmonton's Kristian Pelss and Dallas's Scott Winkler.
What happened to Winkler?

Old
06-13-2013, 02:27 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
What happened to Winkler?
I saw a tweet that just said he was found dead in his home...no other info (yet).

Old
06-13-2013, 02:32 PM
Andy

Quote:
Way to take one part of the post an put it out of context, when I specifically commented about the first two periods of overtime.

Keep those ridiculous micro-stats for yourself. The fact is, 9 times out of 10, Boston scores that winning goal in the first two periods of OT. They were playing way better hockey than Chicago, who just kept begging to get beaten by giving the puck to the Boston Ds every time they attacked by attempting ridiculous plays/dekes.

For two periods of OT, Boston made Chicago look like a bunch of pee-wees. No matter the number of shots and puck possession time.
There is only one fact. Chicago won last night in a close game.

Let's not act like Chicago are scrubs offensively compared to the Bruins. Sure Bruins will score 9 out of 10 times with chances like that in OT, but so will the Hawks who had their fair of chances to end the game early in OT as well.

Also I disagree that Boston made Chicago look like "pee-wee" players. That is a gross exaggeration.

Great Boston outplayed Chicago in latter half of the second OT and for a good chunk of the 3rd OT. However, during regulation (where we can expect most of the series to be played) and the first OT the Hawks drove the pace of the game.

Also, I shouldn't have to keep advanced to myself. I also wouldn't call them ridiculous when some forms of advanced stats get used by nhl teams. Where there are disagreements about how the game was perceived, stats help clear up the story to a certain extent.

It was an extremely close game, could have gone either way. While Chicago dominated possession and drove the offensive play, Boston played a great counter-attack game and were extremely disciplined positionally to create their counter-attack rushes which they are so effective at doing.

Anyway, I won't take it any further. I don't expect you to agree. You have your way of seeing the game, I disagree with it. I'll leave it there.

Last edited by Andy: 06-13-2013 at 02:42 PM.
Old
06-13-2013, 03:13 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Really liked Pelss as a gritty bottom 6 prospect. Awful news on many levels.

Old
06-13-2013, 04:11 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Any one like the idea of singing Filpulla and using him on the wing?

IF his contract demands come down?

Filpulla-Plekanec-Gionta
Pacioretty-Eller-Gallagher
Bourque-Galchenyuk-Prust??

Old
06-13-2013, 04:14 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Any one like the idea of singing Filpulla and using him on the wing?

IF his contract demands come down?

Filpulla-Plekanec-Gionta
Pacioretty-Eller-Gallagher
Bourque-Galchenyuk-Prust??
3.5 or less, sure.

Closed Thread