HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canadiens sign defenseman Davis Drewiske to a two-year contract ($637.5K AAV)

Old
06-13-2013, 11:38 AM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

vCash: 500
625K and 650K

So cheap.

Dr Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 11:38 AM
ChoseLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I'm not a fan of Boullion, but even though Drewiske makes the habs taller, he doesn't make them tougher. Boullion is a tough cookie for his size.
I wasn't really refering to Bouillon as he's been a very good 6th, but more of "Weber or Kaberle" are 7th and 8th.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 11:40 AM
Runner77
#gangstA Ghetto 58

vCash: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by hersky77 View Post

Webber will be moved, Kabrle is going to be bought out, so that means we have two rookies in our depth chart, Davis was signed to sit in the press box/ play when called upon instead of playing a rookie in the same situation.
So it's not just a depth move, it sets up a trade involving Weber?

Runner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 11:40 AM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Yeah, but that's the same D corps that got absolutely shredded at the end of the year and into the playoffs, so I don't see what the rush is to keep it status quo? Even if you felt that was just a bad stretch for the team and that things would return to normal eventually...you're handcuffing yourself at least a little bit by keeping the same 7 guys under contract.
I can see him making a UFA signing for a physical stay at home type. meaning Weber is likely gone and Kaberle is definately gone (durrrrr statement of the year there). Drewiske, to me, looks to be one of his depth moves

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 11:41 AM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hersky77 View Post
Think of this logically
1) Subban
2)Markov
3)Gorges
4)Diaz
5)Bouillon
6)Tinordi
7)Davis
8)Nathan
9) Webber
10) Emelin ( should be #4 but is out until november the earliest)

So when emelin comes back
1) Subban
2) Markov
3) Gorges
4)Emelin
5)diaz
6) Bouillon
7)Tinordi
8) Davis
9)Nathan
10) Webber

Webber will be moved, Kabrle is going to be bought out, so that means we have two rookies in our depth chart, Davis was signed to sit in the press box/ play when called upon instead of playing a rookie in the same situation.
Obviously.

But why commit to two seasons of your press-box guy? We'll have to see the money on this but that only makes sense if it was necessary to push his salary to the point he can go to Hamilton for no cap charge.

Otherwise it seems this new management is weirdly attached to keeping their replacement level players.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 11:42 AM
Impossible Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
a 5th would be calder-rific!
Yeah, we need at least one 5th round pick for Timmins to work his magic

Impossible Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
625K and 650K

So cheap.
good. inexpensive depth players able to step in anytime and give you 8-10 mins a game are important to keep around

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Yeah, but that's the same D corps that got absolutely shredded at the end of the year and into the playoffs, so I don't see what the rush is to keep it status quo? Even if you felt that was just a bad stretch for the team and that things would return to normal eventually...you're handcuffing yourself at least a little bit by keeping the same 7 guys under contract.
I don't see how our goalie ******** the bed in the playoffs equates to the defense being shredded. Short of having your d-men block every shot, there isn't much you can do on some of the goals given up like the Slifverberg one from far away along the boards or the one handed trickler by Karlsson.

Can we use another big mean 6'4" top 4 d-man...hell yeah but with Regehr re-signing taht market is pretty thin. May as well be patient and develop Tinordi and maybe sign a 1-2 year patch.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
WhiskeySeven
Mr. Worldwide

Pretty funny folks over here are happy about this signing.

If anything, it indicates that management thinks his play over the stretch was worth a two-year extension which is very, very precarious considering that they also thought Desharnais merited an extension after his dry season opening and also Bouillon after playing a handful of good games next to Subban.

Really close-sighted move, I find.

In Philly you have Paul Holmgren acquiring legit top d-man Mark Streit for a low pick and here we're extending a player who couldn't break through the top6 even with a few rookies and injuries in tow. His play over the stretch was brutal, absolutely brutal. His timing and positioning, basically the fundamentals of a d-man, were really bad. Now some could argue that it was because he wasn't used to our system, he was rusty, etc. But how in the world does he get an extension when he's yet another non-physical, non-talented warm body?

Can't we acquire a checker-type for once?

Bergevin's grade post-Cole trade has been trending sharply downward - he's showing shades of Gainey/Gauthier with his small-minded, limited moves. Extending Bouillon and Drewiskie with the soft-as-butter d-corps we already have?? ffs.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 11:43 AM
Draft

I have no problem with having Drew signed for peanuts for two-ears. No big deal, he'll be decent in his supporting role. Gives Tinordi and Beaulieu more time to develop, nothing wrong with that, they both need it.

Draft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 11:43 AM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
625K and 650K

So cheap.
OKm, that explains the 2 year deal. Basically as low to the cap as a body can get at if your done with him you can AHL him without any problem.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 11:45 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
I don't see how our goalie ******** the bed in the playoffs equates to the defense being shredded. Short of having your d-men block every shot, there isn't much you can do on some of the goals given up like the Slifverberg one from far away along the boards or the one handed trickler by Karlsson.

Can we use another big mean 6'4" top 4 d-man...hell yeah but with Regehr re-signing taht market is pretty thin. May as well be patient and develop Tinordi and maybe sign a 1-2 year patch.
Keeping in mind every game from the moment Emelin got hurt until we were eliminated from the playoffs, it was blatantly clear to me that our problems were deeper than just our goalies having a bad game. We were putrid defensively. The defense we had (whether you include Emelin or not) was not a defense that was going to go particularly deep into the playoffs, so I don't see why it's unreasonable to expect/hope for upgrades.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 11:47 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Pretty funny folks over here are happy about this signing.

If anything, it indicates that management thinks his play over the stretch was worth a two-year extension which is very, very precarious considering that they also thought Desharnais merited an extension after his dry season opening and also Bouillon after playing a handful of good games next to Subban.

Really close-sighted move, I find.

In Philly you have Paul Holmgren acquiring legit top d-man Mark Streit for a low pick and here we're extending a player who couldn't break through the top6 even with a few rookies and injuries in tow. His play over the stretch was brutal, absolutely brutal. His timing and positioning, basically the fundamentals of a d-man, were really bad. Now some could argue that it was because he wasn't used to our system, he was rusty, etc. But how in the world does he get an extension when he's yet another non-physical, non-talented warm body?

Can't we acquire a checker-type for once?

Bergevin's grade post-Cole trade has been trending sharply downward - he's showing shades of Gainey/Gauthier with his small-minded, limited moves. Extending Bouillon and Drewiskie with the soft-as-butter d-corps we already have?? ffs.
Giving Holmgren credit? Remember Bryzgalov's addition to the Flyers?

Let's give MB the summer here, to see what happens...DD is a depth move, that costs almost nothing in terms of cap...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 11:48 AM
25get

We already have 8 d-men + Kaberle + Drewiske under contract.
Remove Emelin and we have a rooster of 8 healthy d-men signed.

We will see how we deal with Weber very soon.

I guess Tinordi will probably start the season in Hamilton unless he gets a top-6 spot.
He should get some stints in Montreal to allow to continue his development.

25get is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 11:49 AM
hersky77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner77 View Post
So it's not just a depth move, it sets up a trade involving Weber?
Weber is going to be dealt this summer regardless of who they signed or did not sign. So its a depth move for when someone gets traded and it will most likely be weber.

hersky77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 11:49 AM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 319
Yeah! Good for you Davis!

Flour Child is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 11:50 AM
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?

Send a message via Skype™ to dmanfish90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post
Goes the dynamite...? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb View Post
What hate? How can you hate a player that barely played a game for us?
I can't. But i'm a rational Habs fan, like yourself I am assuming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
It's Montreal, we hate everyone unless they score 40 goals. Even then, we'll still look for excuses.
Yup. Even when they consistently score close to 30 goals do we hate them...(cue Ryder pre-Boston).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Get the feeling we're going to move one of our D. Just a feeling.
I was going to say...but who???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
Might just be filler as we wait for Emelin to return.
If it was a filler, why 2 years. This wreaks of Beaulieu is going to fill Markov's spot when Markov's done his contract/may not be re-signed. All depends on Markov's season next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
There will be some activity on draft day...

DD is a solid guy....6-th or 7th type of guy...
Great. Two DDs. Let's try not to confuse the too now going forward k guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mover View Post
Wow, not expected but I'm cool with this. WE'RE GETTING BIGGER GUYS!!
LOL excellent post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanltQC View Post
Subban, Markov, Gorges, Emelin, Diaz, Bouillon, Tinordi, Drewiske, Beaulieu

That makes 9 (8 with Emelin out). Also how are the younger prospect are supose to come to camp with hope they will make the team? They know that they are way to low.

Let's hope Drewiske signed a 2 way deal
Beaulieu won't be ready/won't have a spot for him before 2-years from now. Drewiske is injury replacement/7th D to fill in when people aren't playing well...

Quote:
Not that this will impede us from making any moves, but I don't really like how we're not even July 1st yet and Bergevin already has the same 7 NHL defensemen we had last year under contract. Did we really need to rush to lock down Bouillon and Drewiske? I hope he doesn't feel like we don't need any upgrades there, because the lack of depth was exposed as soon as Emelin went down.
Considering the now very thin list of FA D crop out there, I don't mind this a bit. It's not like we could have done a Campoli and signed him few days into Training Camp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
I expect Weber to be moved, plus obviously Kaberle moved/bought out.

Would you rather have Drewiske is the press box as #7th or 8th or a young player?

If you're going to keep Beaulieu he needs to play, not just be a spare part.

Emelin will likely start the year on the shelf, so hopefully we add a veteran stay at home d-man as a #4-5(Fistric? Murray? Scuderi?).
I'm disappointed we aren't going to keep Weber, but he is essentially a Diaz clone (or is Diaz a Weber clone ).

Fact is this should make me just shrug my shoulders and go "Ok, we signed some depth. Let's move on to the bigger things MB."

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Emelin's injury was huge in our late season downfall...we need a nasty stay at home crease clearing kind of guy to get added....Orpik?
And how do you expect us to sign and play Orpik. We only have room for him until Emelin returns. Then what...cue the "We'll have the best defensive depth in the NHL"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
a 5th would be calder-rific!
Don't get your hopes up, but yes...calder-ific indeed

dmanfish90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 11:50 AM
WhiskeySeven
Mr. Worldwide

Quote:
Keeping in mind every game from the moment Emelin got hurt until we were eliminated from the playoffs, it was blatantly clear to me that our problems were deeper than just our goalies having a bad game. We were putrid defensively. The defense we had (whether you include Emelin or not) was not a defense that was going to go particularly deep into the playoffs, so I don't see why it's unreasonable to expect/hope for upgrades.
Agreed. Aside from a handful of games (Toronto, Philly come to mind) it wasn't our goalies being bad, it was our defense. I said it then and was called a Price fanboy and/or a Therrien hater. It's stupid.

Our defense looked AWFUL all they way until we got eliminated. Not an ounce of guile or talent was on display. Drewiskie couldn't even crack THAT lineup.

And instead of actually making moves, trying to be proactive and take us to the next level Bergevin actually doubles-down on his stupid trade and extends him. Desharnais, Bouillon and Drewiskie - pretty much the three LEAST LIKELIEST candidates for extensions in any other dimesion.

At some point you gotta figure, maybe pretty boy is a bit of a shined up turd?

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 11:51 AM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

I wonder what $650K will get you in the UFA market.

The amount of panicking surrounding this depth move is quite entertaining.

Dr Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 11:51 AM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
Excellent contract for a 7th d-man. Nice signing, I like Big DD.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 11:52 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Depth D that was good enough to be a Depth D on a cup winner less than an year ago. No reason why he can't be one on the Habs.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 11:52 AM
RyanBostonRedsox
Long Live Chappelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Get the feeling we're going to move one of our D. Just a feeling.
I completely agree. Based on what I've read/listened to in the course of the last two weeks, Diaz will be packaged with our first round pick to move up in the draft.

RyanBostonRedsox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 11:53 AM
hey

7th dman with experience...no reason to hate this move

hey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 11:54 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanBostonRedsox View Post
I completely agree. Based on what I've read/listened to in the course of the last two weeks, Diaz will be packaged with our first round pick to move up in the draft.
Don't be near Natey when the news breaks.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 11:54 AM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanBostonRedsox View Post
That would be extremely stupid. Unless you prefer Bouillon on our 2nd pairing on the PP. I know I don't.

Seb is offline   Reply With Quote