HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canadiens sign defenseman Davis Drewiske to a two-year contract ($637.5K AAV)

Old
06-13-2013, 11:54 AM
RyanBostonRedsox
Long Live Chappelle

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Not that this will impede us from making any moves, but I don't really like how we're not even July 1st yet and Bergevin already has the same 7 NHL defensemen we had last year under contract. Did we really need to rush to lock down Bouillon and Drewiske? I hope he doesn't feel like we don't need any upgrades there, because the lack of depth was exposed as soon as Emelin went down.
Bouillon, we shouldn't have rushed. Bergevin wanted to make it clear that if one plays hard, then they will be rewarded. One of his only mistakes thus far. However, with Drewiske, it's a no-brainer. Whether it is 2-way, and he switches between Hamilton and Montreal, or he just stays with Montreal, that contract is awesome to have.

RyanBostonRedsox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 11:54 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
I wonder what $650K will get you in the UFA market.

The amount of panicking surrounding this depth move is quite entertaining.
That is all. if better options arise, Drew will be happy to get paid to practice and watch the games from press box.

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 11:55 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Pretty funny folks over here are happy about this signing.

If anything, it indicates that management thinks his play over the stretch was worth a two-year extension which is very, very precarious considering that they also thought Desharnais merited an extension after his dry season opening and also Bouillon after playing a handful of good games next to Subban.

Really close-sighted move, I find.

In Philly you have Paul Holmgren acquiring legit top d-man Mark Streit for a low pick and here we're extending a player who couldn't break through the top6 even with a few rookies and injuries in tow. His play over the stretch was brutal, absolutely brutal. His timing and positioning, basically the fundamentals of a d-man, were really bad. Now some could argue that it was because he wasn't used to our system, he was rusty, etc. But how in the world does he get an extension when he's yet another non-physical, non-talented warm body?

Can't we acquire a checker-type for once?

Bergevin's grade post-Cole trade has been trending sharply downward - he's showing shades of Gainey/Gauthier with his small-minded, limited moves. Extending Bouillon and Drewiskie with the soft-as-butter d-corps we already have?? ffs.
Quote:
Keeping in mind every game from the moment Emelin got hurt until we were eliminated from the playoffs, it was blatantly clear to me that our problems were deeper than just our goalies having a bad game. We were putrid defensively. The defense we had (whether you include Emelin or not) was not a defense that was going to go particularly deep into the playoffs, so I don't see why it's unreasonable to expect/hope for upgrades.
Quote:
Agreed. Aside from a handful of games (Toronto, Philly come to mind) it wasn't our goalies being bad, it was our defense. I said it then and was called a Price fanboy and/or a Therrien hater. It's stupid.

Our defense looked AWFUL all they way until we got eliminated. Not an ounce of guile or talent was on display. Drewiskie couldn't even crack THAT lineup.

And instead of actually making moves, trying to be proactive and take us to the next level Bergevin actually doubles-down on his stupid trade and extends him. Desharnais, Bouillon and Drewiskie - pretty much the three LEAST LIKELIEST candidates for extensions in any other dimesion.

At some point you gotta figure, maybe pretty boy is a bit of a shined up turd?
I can't disagree with anything in these three posts. I tired to offer a rational behind this move from Bergevin's perspective, but even so, I don't see the rush to have signed Drewiske or even to re-sign him at all.

We'll see what happens, I guess.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb View Post
That would be extremely stupid. Unless you prefer Bouillon on our 2nd pairing on the PP. I know I don't.
Bouillon - Gorges was clutch wat are you saying.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
gusfring

Another sign we are pretty much bringing back the same team next year.

gusfring is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanBostonRedsox View Post
I completely agree. Based on what I've read/listened to in the course of the last two weeks, Diaz will be packaged with our first round pick to move up in the draft.
Diaz won't bump the Habs up the draft chart by much and they'll have a hard time replacing him in the line-up. More likely case is they move Weber, but not as a package deal with the 1st to move up because he won't get the Habs a much better pick either.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 11:56 AM
btallett

Pull the trigger on a Markov trade at the draft! and then sign Scuderi in FA this summer

btallett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 11:58 AM
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?

Send a message via Skype™ to dmanfish90
Quote:
625K and 650K

So cheap.
Where did you get this info. I love how "Financial terms were not disclosed per club policy" and less than an hour later Dr. Gonzo knows, i'm assuming via twitter. Classic Montreal. Just give up the policy already. Who cares how much we pay our players...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
I don't see how our goalie ******** the bed in the playoffs equates to the defense being shredded. Short of having your d-men block every shot, there isn't much you can do on some of the goals given up like the Slifverberg one from far away along the boards or the one handed trickler by Karlsson.

Can we use another big mean 6'4" top 4 d-man...hell yeah but with Regehr re-signing taht market is pretty thin. May as well be patient and develop Tinordi and maybe sign a 1-2 year patch.
Post of the thread. We need to get bigger in our D unit. DD is just a depth guy. Good signing i guess. We'll see after 2 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
OKm, that explains the 2 year deal. Basically as low to the cap as a body can get at if your done with him you can AHL him without any problem.
I'm glad you're not the GM. You don't AHL 28-year old players with low cap hits. If we're done with him, we should have him play some minutes here or there so that GMs can see his value and trade him.

Quote:
I wonder what $650K will get you in the UFA market.

The amount of panicking surrounding this depth move is quite entertaining.
Not much at all. This is a sort of steal IMO i guess...time will tell.

dmanfish90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
And instead of actually making moves, trying to be proactive and take us to the next level Bergevin actually doubles-down on his stupid trade and extends him. Desharnais, Bouillon and Drewiskie - pretty much the three LEAST LIKELIEST candidates for extensions in any other dimesion.

At some point you gotta figure, maybe pretty boy is a bit of a shined up turd?
I wouldn't go that far, but I certainly think the decisions to immediately lock up depth players, some on multi-year contracts (the 3 you mentioned) versus playing hardball with Subban and letting go a decent player like Ryder without batting an eye merit some questioning.

Depth is great and all, but when it's not supporting talent, what's it good for?

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
WhiskeySeven
Mr. Worldwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Depth D that was good enough to be a Depth D on a cup winner less than an year ago. No reason why he can't be one on the Habs.
Maybe we have a bit too much "depth" and not enough actual talent. Bouillon playing more than 14minutes is a liability as it is (the man's like 37...), Diaz - though talented - is astonishingly soft against any forecheck, Weber has regressed to the point that he's AHL fodder and Beaulieu looked really bad out there.

Leaving Markov (who I think will be better next season), Subban, Gorges, a one-legged Emelin and Tinordi.

We don't need depth and we never needed Drewiskie, we need an actual NHL d-man like Scuderi or Regher or basically anyone competent. An Odyua or some other minute cruncher would really help us out - Bouillon can't play that role and neither can anyone else we have past the top3 at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Don't be near Natey when the news breaks.

His fit is going to be FAAABULOUS

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 12:00 PM
RyanBostonRedsox
Long Live Chappelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24get View Post
Kind of surprising at first.

This guy can clear the crease, play a good defensive game (for a bottom-6) and almost never gets penalized (about 1 minor every four games).

So as a 7th or 8th d-men, with all the injuries, he seems an OK option.

As OP pointed out, better him in the press box than our young d-men.

Anyway, somebody must see something in him to sign him for two years.
LA did sign him for thee years before that and asked for a 5th for him near the deadline.
Guess that settles the value of Markov higher than a 5th...
This is true, but Los Angeles also has 9-10 defensemen with a couple coming off the IR if I remember correctly.

RyanBostonRedsox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 12:01 PM
WhiskeySeven
Mr. Worldwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I can't disagree with anything in these three posts. I tired to offer a rational behind this move from Bergevin's perspective, but even so, I don't see the rush to have signed Drewiske or even to re-sign him at all.

Message brought to you by WhiskeySeven for HFHabs Hall of Fame Ltd.

He posts on topic... sometimes.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 12:02 PM
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?

Send a message via Skype™ to dmanfish90
Quote:
I completely agree. Based on what I've read/listened to in the course of the last two weeks, Diaz will be packaged with our first round pick to move up in the draft.
Where did you hear this??? Terrible move. No Emelin for half the season, No Diaz for the rest. Terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb View Post
That would be extremely stupid. Unless you prefer Bouillon on our 2nd pairing on the PP. I know I don't.
In comparison, Diaz is better, but Bouillon could fill the role for about half the year. Gorges-Bouillon would be a nice shutdown D, except neither of them can clear the crease, although they are both scrappy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Encounter View Post
Diaz won't bump the Habs up the draft chart by much and they'll have a hard time replacing him in the line-up. More likely case is they move Weber, but not as a package deal with the 1st to move up because he won't get the Habs a much better pick either.
Umm what? A great PMD to play in your top 4 won't move you up the draft chart? Okay there bud.

As for Weber, yes he wouldn't at all because he's barely played and value is at probably an all-time low now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btallett View Post
Pull the trigger on a Markov trade at the draft! and then sign Scuderi in FA this summer
Terrible. Just terrible.

dmanfish90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 12:02 PM
Andy

Quote:
I wouldn't go that far, but I certainly think the decisions to immediately lock up depth players, some on multi-year contracts (the 3 you mentioned) versus playing hardball with Subban and letting go a decent player like Ryder without batting an eye merit some questioning.

Depth is great and all, but when it's not supporting talent, what's it good for?
Again, the only rational behind it is if Bergevin thinks that one of or maybe to of Beaulieu, Tinordi, Pateryn or Ellis can step in the lineup full time.

Once again, this is me only trying to rationalize the re-signing of both Boullion and Drewiske, but you are right. Depth is great, but it's function is kind of mitigating when there isn't the supporting talent.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 12:03 PM
Habitant le colon

Quote:
Originally Posted by btallett View Post
This : let me add Both Diaz and Markov will go at draft

For UFA Whitney and Scuderi !

Scuderi Subban
Gorges Whitney
Bouillon Tinordi
Drewiske (Emelin)

Habitant le colon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 12:03 PM
Nitehowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Don't be near Natey when the news breaks.
Didn't we used to have a good poster named Natey?? or close to that name?

Nitehowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 12:04 PM
Price My Man Crush

Quote:
Where did you read/listened this? Seriously, I've seen nothing saying that Diaz will be traded with our first round pick.

Price My Man Crush is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 12:05 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitehowl View Post
Didn't we used to have a good poster named Natey?? or close to that name?
natey = Hawkguy. Still around, just changed his name.

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 12:06 PM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

Meh, I am amongst the people who thought we should have never given an extension to Bouillon (especially if you're gonna give him the same salary...). Drewiske is the perfect #7, won't hurt you IF YOU DON'T OVERPLAY HIM. I liked what he showed offensively, has good offensive awareness and has a pretty decent shot. Now I hope that means that Weber is traded for a 3rd/4th round pick.

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 12:06 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanfish90 View Post
Where did you get this info. I love how "Financial terms were not disclosed per club policy" and less than an hour later Dr. Gonzo knows, i'm assuming via twitter. Classic Montreal. Just give up the policy already. Who cares how much we pay our players...?

Post of the thread. We need to get bigger in our D unit. DD is just a depth guy. Good signing i guess. We'll see after 2 years.

I'm glad you're not the GM. You don't AHL 28-year old players with low cap hits. If we're done with him, we should have him play some minutes here or there so that GMs can see his value and trade him.

Not much at all. This is a sort of steal IMO i guess...time will tell.
You're in a much stronger position if you can just delete the guy if he doesn't work out. For fringe players its good to have some sort of "Oh god, this guy horrible" insurance.

By the same token, other GM's would like to have that option if they're trading for him.

This means the club's commitment to Drewiskie is essentially zero beyond being paid an NHLer's salary for the next two seasons, which is almost nothing to the Habs. Which it seems he accepted because he likes getting an NHL salary.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 12:08 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
It's Montreal, we hate everyone unless they score 40 goals. Even then, we'll still look for excuses.
That 40 goal scorer is a floater. Can't back check and doesn't play D.

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 12:08 PM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:

unless Drewiske signed the 1st offer that showed up, happy he has a contract.

Not singling anyone out here, but alot of folks act like he MUST chase down what they feel is more important 1st. Maybe he just wants to get some files off his desk so he can focus on the more important issues, like the draft, and setting the table to make any trades he can before UFA season?

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 12:10 PM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

Anyway the panicking in this thread reminds me of when we re-signed Nokelainen last year

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitant le colon View Post
This : let me add Both Diaz and Markov will go at draft

For UFA Whitney and Scuderi !

Scuderi Subban
Gorges Whitney
Bouillon Tinordi
Drewiske (Emelin)
Hooray for being horrible again!

If you think Markov can't skate, wait till you see Whitney.

He was so bad that he was one of the worst on the freaking Oilers.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
That 40 goal scorer is a floater. Can't back check and doesn't play D.
terrible...why cant the other guy on his line who back checks and plays D score 40 goals....he sux

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote