HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Willie Mitchell!!!!!!!!!

Old
06-13-2013, 08:38 AM
Whiskeypete

vCash: 500
i can't view the video at work. what is it? im assuming it's Willie out skating

Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 08:44 AM
KingPuckChoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoreZeGoals View Post
I love Mitchell and really hope he comes back, but it could be very dangerous to put our hopes on a guy who has been out a full year, is 36, and has a history of concussions. If we don't bring Scuds back and Mitchell either has a setback or gets injured, it won't be pretty
yeah. i don't know why people are encouraged by this video... so once he comes back he'll play 10-15 games and is one bodycheck away from being out the rest of the season

as if this guy can play a 72 to 82 game grind + 4 rounds of playoffs

KingPuckChoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 08:57 AM
Whiskeypete

DL will be cautious on moving forward. my guess is his evil genius mind is working the roster without WM, he has to.

in one of the interviews he gave last weekend to Rosen iirc he commented about "being here before" when it comes to Willie's progress. he mentioned about getting excited about WM's progress only to have it all go south.

i think what DL didn't say speaks volumes about whether he feels WM will return. he must move on and build the team from a realist standpoint - Willie isn't returning.

i am sure he hopes he does like the rest of us, but he must put the proper pieces in play in the event he can't return.

i looked around Rosen's blog could find the Dean quotes about this

Old
06-13-2013, 09:17 AM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeypete View Post
DL will be cautious on moving forward. my guess is his evil genius mind is working the roster without WM, he has to.

in one of the interviews he gave last weekend to Rosen iirc he commented about "being here before" when it comes to Willie's progress. he mentioned about getting excited about WM's progress only to have it all go south.

i think what DL didn't say speaks volumes about whether he feels WM will return. he must move on and build the team from a realist standpoint - Willie isn't returning.

i am sure he hopes he does like the rest of us, but he must put the proper pieces in play in the event he can't return.

i looked around Rosen's blog could find the Dean quotes about this
The issue there is Mitchell's cap number. If he's on the roster, he has to play. Who knows exactly when it'll be known if he can play. Could be July 5th, could be August, could be training camp. So that $3.5 million sits there, currently counting against the cap. If he's put on LTIR(don't want to do that too early in case he can play though), the Kings can use that space to do something else. If Mitchell is on the roster, the Kings don't have a lot of room to do much.

A little under $12 million right now, counting Mitchell. Figure Voynov gets at least 4. Clifford/Lewis/Nolan/Martinez/Muzzin/Ellerby made a little over 4 combined. If they're all back, that's probably inching up closer toward 5 for the bunch. That leaves somewhere around 3 million, for whoever is backing up Quick, and 1 or 2 guys to round out the roster.

Last edited by KingsFan7824: 06-13-2013 at 09:25 AM.
KingsFan7824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 09:23 AM
lumbergh

Willie Mitchell just made my day. What a huge addition he would make if he came back at full strength. If he came back, the Kings have to make room for him.

lumbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 09:35 AM
Whiskeypete

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan7824 View Post
The issue there is Mitchell's cap number. If he's on the roster, he has to play. Who knows exactly when it'll be known if he can play. Could be July 5th, could be August, could be training camp. So that $3.5 million sits there, currently counting against the cap. If he's put on LTIR(don't want to do that too early in case he can play though), the Kings can use that space to do something else. If Mitchell is on the roster, the Kings don't have a lot of room to do much.

A little under $12 million right now, counting Mitchell. Figure Voynov gets at least 4. Clifford/Lewis/Nolan/Martinez/Muzzin/Ellerby made a little over 4 combined. If they're all back, that's probably inching up closer toward 5 for the bunch. That leaves somewhere around 3 million, for whoever is backing up Quick, and 1 or 2 guys to round out the roster.
yeah this is really putting Dean into a bind. the RR signing was the icing to the situation, but Dean is literally handcuffed when it comes to this. factor in the reduced cap, Scuderi's UFA and Voynov's status.....i don't envy Dean right now.

i think the situtation is revealed to us depending on what he does with Scuderi. if Scuds is re-signed then DL is going with the assumption that WM won't return. if he signs Scuds and WM does return (and everyone is under the cap) then i think DL trades one of the SAH guys to clear room and space

the entire situation is a cluster

Old
06-13-2013, 10:06 AM
bmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeypete View Post
yeah this is really putting Dean into a bind. the RR signing was the icing to the situation, but Dean is literally handcuffed when it comes to this. factor in the reduced cap, Scuderi's UFA and Voynov's status.....i don't envy Dean right now.

i think the situtation is revealed to us depending on what he does with Scuderi. if Scuds is re-signed then DL is going with the assumption that WM won't return. if he signs Scuds and WM does return (and everyone is under the cap) then i think DL trades one of the SAH guys to clear room and space

the entire situation is a cluster
True, but it's not like he doesn't have options. If Mitchell comes back, I would hope that he could do at least a year or two. I would probably say that Regehr is the odd man out in that situation. Voynov has improved significantly since his first playoff year, and if Mitchell is close to what he was last year...wow, that's a good problem to have. I think Doughty really benefits from a stay at home guy who can really handle the load. I'm not sure Regehr is that guy any more, but i'll reserve judgment until I see him for a full season.

bmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 10:11 AM
Perro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabwaylingo View Post
Good to hear. It'd be a ****ing shame if he had to end his career like that. Fingers crossed...
Going out with as cup chance seems like a good way to go out to me.

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 10:25 AM
Stupid Sexy Flanders

Great news!

If it were me: keep all of Mitchell/Scuderi/Regehr/Greene and play 3/4 each game on a rotating basis. Of course it's likely somebody will be injured at some point anyway.

Stupid Sexy Flanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 10:30 AM
bmr

If they keep Mitchell and Scuderi, they are definitely going to have to get rid of Penner and trade someone else.

bmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 10:34 AM
jfont

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovacro View Post

I fear Scuds may be gone so hopefully the return of a healthy Mitchell can offset the loss.
Most likely...

The Isles traded Streit and they will need a veteran presence. And since Scuds is from that area, I'm sure he'll get a call from them.

06-13-2013, 10:36 AM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863

Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 10:38 AM
Perro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmr View Post
If they keep Mitchell and Scuderi, they are definitely going to have to get rid of Penner and trade someone else.
I think scuderi is gone no matter what. Would love him but I think he will either go back to pitt or to play at home in long island.
The piece was huge for LA. Thought the kings overpaid to get him to LA, but feel he is worth more now.

Old
06-13-2013, 10:40 AM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

Willie's carrer was supposedly over twice now. His new nickname should be Lazarus!

Old
06-13-2013, 10:50 AM
Pucknut50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
I'd rather take my chances and still sign Scuderi and if Mitchell comes back, that is a huge bonus and a plus. Let's remember he missed a full year of hockey, we can't expect him to log 20+ minutes right off the bat. Has to work his way back in and get himself back to playing shape.

Now if Mitchell does get back and the Kings do somehow re-sign Scuderi, imagine the insane amount of depth and size on the blueline.

Scuderi-Doughty
Mitchell-Voynov
Regehr-Greene
Muzzin
Martinez

Of course, some players will have to be moved if that is the case, the likely candidate being Martinez. I'd also be hesitant having Regehr and Greene as a pair as the two lack foot speed and it breaks the Kings' tendency of having a puck mover and a stay-at-home player on defense. Either way, it's a good problem to have. Better to have too much depth than no depth at all.
Ziggy,

Scuds, Regehr, and Greene, gives you zero offensive push(I am not talking points boys but just getting the puck out of the zone and keeping the puck in the offensive zone). Also Mitchell is much better as a stay at home defenseman not pushing the offensive side because he can do it but then he becomes less effective. Not sure how many people here played ice hockey more then weekend leagues but at this level it takes 5 guys moving the puck to be effective. You just cannot afford having that many one way defenseman.

People have to realize when your playing top 4 D minutes you have to be able to push the puck. Your bottom 2 can be a Greene or Regehr who play 8 to 10 min. and kill penalties. With most teams playing collapsing D and trying to block every shot you have to have Defenseman who have the ability to go down low and draw attention which opens up lanes for the F3 forward causing 2 on 1 or 3 on 2 down low.

Pucknut50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 10:53 AM
Mats26
Cup Champs

Good for Willie and the Kings if he does comes back. But we need to understand that it will probably be his last year anyway that's why RR was signed for 2. I don't think Willie will last a full year without a setback, RR is insurance.

As for Scuds, don't think he will sign at a significant discount. The best option is to sign hm, and let Willie take his time to fully recover but something tells me we are looking for someone cheaper to replace him so we have cap room in case WM is ready next year.

Ya DL is stuck here. Damn Willie and his videos...lol

Mats26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 10:56 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Yeah, either way, I think Scuderi/Penner are both gone, unfortunately. Willie Mitchell coming back is a bonus, in my eyes. I wouldn't doubt the Kings going with a Regehr-Doughty; Voynov-Martinez; Muzzin-Greene pairings and if Mitchell is healthy, you take out one of Muzzin/Martinez.

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 10:59 AM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
you take out one of Muzzin/Martinez.
I think one of them gets traded and Ellerby becomes the new Drewiske

Old
06-13-2013, 10:59 AM
Perro

I also could not see the video, what was it of?

Old
06-13-2013, 11:00 AM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perro View Post
I also could not see the video, what was it of?
Just Willie skating around at Toyota Training Center

Old
06-13-2013, 11:00 AM
Perro

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dingo View Post
I think one of them gets traded and Ellerby becomes the new Drewiske
I think Muzzin's value is higher right now than Martinez. I would be ok with getting some asset for him.

Old
06-13-2013, 11:02 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

I think Martinez is the better player, in all honesty. More composed, his confidence was just very low throughout these playoffs, I think Sutter has it out for him and his style of play. I personally feel more comfortable with Marty back there than Muzzin.

Oh and please God, no more Ellerby.

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 11:04 AM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post

Oh and please God, no more Ellerby.
I think Muzz or Martinez are every day players and one of them deserves to play on another team.

Ellerby will get better. Give him a year plus with our coaches and and a training camp and I think you'll see marked improvement. he is a long term project my friend.

Old
06-13-2013, 11:17 AM
Mats26
Cup Champs

Dean Lombardi, on Sunday, on whether Willie Mitchell’s injury could still be considered a “career-threatening” injury:

“Boy. I’d probably leave it at that now. I mean, it’s possible. But, it’s a day-to-day thing, in terms of his progress. I guess it’s safe to say that he’s at least making progress, but the problem is it’s the same progress he made before, and until we get to those final stages, you’re not going to know for sure. So, if you had asked me this maybe six months ago when we went through the process the first time, I would have been encouraged. But, given that we had two setbacks once he got to a certain point, I’m certainly not as optimistic as I would have been before. But that said, he’s clearly making progress again. But, we’ve still got to go to another level and push [the knee] to see if it responds. Your guess is as good as mine right now.”

Mats26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 11:29 AM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dingo View Post
I think Muzz or Martinez are every day players and one of them deserves to play on another team.

Ellerby will get better. Give him a year plus with our coaches and and a training camp and I think you'll see marked improvement. he is a long term project my friend.
Agreed. And hell, this will be Sutter's first training camp with the team; let that sink in for a minute.

I don't see us moving anyone we traded for last year (Regehr, Ellerby), and as others have mentioned, regardless of what happens with mitchell, Scuds is likely a goner. Teams around the league have a need for a SAH defenseman and we have a monopoly on some of the great ones. We won't be able to offer money/term like others will and as someone already mentioned, I think NYI and other eastern teams are going to make a big pitch for him. I was thinking NYI even before the Streit move, but even more now.

Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote