HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 11.0

Closed Thread

Old
06-13-2013, 10:02 AM
phillytennis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
What should he say ? This doesn't tell me anything. It doesn't indicate if he will pass on Petan over a guy like Mantha for the sake of size or not. A thing he said though is that he will be looking for character.

If you hope a 6'5 230 18 years old kid to wow you with speed... The u18 was on a big ice and McCarron effective in close. He has fast foot in close. Sure he has no speed to burn... But which succesful 6'5 230 forward has it ???

No hes not.... But there will be someone better at 25 for sure.
As a P.Ed teacher, a former hockey player, coach I have seen all types of players.
When the Habs won the cup 4 years in a row from 1976--79, they never compromised on speed and finesse. They had finesse players above all who could play a gritty game when called upon...take for instance, Lambert, Tremblay, Risebrough, Gainey, Robinson, Nyrop, Bouchard...you get the point.
MRB1...you want size above all. I want skill, speed, character and size. I don't want to compromise on the first three points.

Last edited by Doctor No: 06-13-2013 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Flaming
Old
06-13-2013, 10:08 AM
TinordiandSubban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
What do you guys think of Sergei Tolchinsky? Too small?
Would win a tallest midget contest with three of the Habs current top six, and is very quick and elusive. Best skater in the draft, makes Datsyukian plays at top speed and says he loves playing in North America.

Dare to draft him in the 3rd?

Old
06-13-2013, 10:17 AM
phillytennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinordiandSubban View Post
Would win a tallest midget contest with three of the Habs current top six, and is very quick and elusive. Best skater in the draft, makes Datsyukian plays at top speed and says he loves playing in North America.

Dare to draft him in the 3rd?
I love Datsyuk's attitude when he plays...supremely talented, competitive and responsible at both ends of the ice. He is not typical of most Russian players in the NHL. I would have to do some more due diligence before considering him. Maybe he would be a good 6th or 7th round pick.

Old
06-13-2013, 10:23 AM
Nitehowl

Habs Combine player no one mentioned....

http://www.merrittherald.com/sports/211293461.html

Seventeen-year-old Merritt Centennials defenceman Dane Birks can be forgiven if he was a little tired in class this past week.

The Grade 12 student at Merritt Secondary School ex-perienced the thrill of a lifetime in slightly less than 48 hours as he was the only BCHL player invited to a special evaluation camp put on by the Montreal Canadiens on Wednesday, June 5 at the Bell Sports Complex,

Old
06-13-2013, 10:28 AM
Draft

I was giving the Hockey Writers War Room write-up another once over. For the most part, seems like a pretty good list this year. Great source for video and write-ups if the less absorbed posters haven't gotten there yet. Especially helpful for the players many of us might not have seen as much of that will go in the 2nd round onwards.

http://thehockeywriters.com/2013-nhl...ition-round-1/

I'm feeling Lehkonen, Bailey, Poirier, DLR, and Dauphin for #34 and #36. But maybe also Mccoshen, McCarron, Hagg, Petan and Klimchuk. 10 guys in two picks..... make it happen MB.

Old
06-13-2013, 10:29 AM
phillytennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitehowl View Post

Seventeen-year-old Merritt Centennials defenceman Dane Birks can be forgiven if he was a little tired in class this past week.

The Grade 12 student at Merritt Secondary School ex-perienced the thrill of a lifetime in slightly less than 48 hours as he was the only BCHL player invited to a special evaluation camp put on by the Montreal Canadiens on Wednesday, June 5 at the Bell Sports Complex,
Seems pretty level headed. He could a good sleeper pick.

Old
06-13-2013, 10:36 AM
ChoseLa

Lekonhen could easily be a 1st rounder, he got amazing skills and came into the combina a 6", so he's not even a small player anymore.

Old
06-13-2013, 10:46 AM
HaZiKaN

With Drewiski signed for next year as our 7th D, could we expect Webber to be traded at the draft? Wath is his value?

Old
06-13-2013, 10:49 AM
Nitehowl

" -Kevin Devine, Buffalo Sabres

How they grade:

We use dropoff points. I think there are three of them in the top 10. After that I think from 10-25 you may get the same player at 25 that you do at 10.

For all those people that want to trade the two 2nd's + 25th to move up a few spots

Old
06-13-2013, 11:00 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillytennis View Post
As a P.Ed teacher, a former hockey player, coach I have seen all types of players.
When the Habs won the cup 4 years in a row from 1976--79, they never compromised on speed and finesse. They had finesse players above all who could play a gritty game when called upon...take for instance, Lambert, Tremblay, Risebrough, Gainey, Robinson, Nyrop, Bouchard...you get the point.
MRB1...you want size above all. I want skill, speed, character and size. I don't want to compromise on the first three points.
Yet ... Just above I mentioned that I would take petan over anyone else at 25 ... I don't want anything specific other than the BPA

Old
06-13-2013, 11:03 AM
Shutdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitehowl View Post

From another article

"Listed heights and weights can always be questionable, but Birks went from being listed at 6'1" 165 lbs. last season with Creston Valley of the KIJHL, to 6'3" 190 lbs."

Also his profile on eliteprospect (who has him at that 6'1, 165lbs) says he's committed to Michigan Tech for 2015-16... 2 more years of Junior A? Even MacMillan who was under developed only played one year outside of his draft year in the BCHL. But Birks is an August birthdate I think, so that makes him one of the younger guys in the draft.

edit: http://www.techhockeyguide.com/2012/...or-the-future/
these guys say he's a 2014 commit. they cover M. Tech exclusively so I'm guessing they know what they're talking about.

Old
06-13-2013, 11:04 AM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Just ben doing a lot of reading up on our potential picks this coming draft and i'm a little confused about the Kerby Rychel hate. Can someone explain what the biggest knock on this guy is? All indicators are that he's big, has good work ethic, and scores goals in the tough-to-get-to areas of the ice.

Is he super slow or something?

Old
06-13-2013, 11:09 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markowicz View Post
Just ben doing a lot of reading up on our potential picks this coming draft and i'm a little confused about the Kerby Rychel hate. Can someone explain what the biggest knock on this guy is? All indicators are that he's big, has good work ethic, and scores goals in the tough-to-get-to areas of the ice.

The biggest knock is his skating. I think you could make a case that he's the worst skater out of all the 'consensus' first rounders. His offensive upside is questionable too - he's one of those guys that might top out as just a third liner in the NHL.

Old
06-13-2013, 11:09 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:

He's inconsistent, has low offensive potential and he's not the best skater.

we said the same thing about Corey Perry.

Old
06-13-2013, 11:15 AM
AnthonyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Really? I've had to look long and hard to find a positive scouting report on Fasching at this point. Way too inconsistent, not a great skater, not very engaged physically, and not showing a huge amount of skill. It seems like he has the frame scouts love but little else. Not sure I'd go for him in any round.
http://thehockeywriters.com/hudson-f...spect-profile/

Old
06-13-2013, 11:27 AM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
He's inconsistent, has low offensive potential and he's not the best skater.

we said the same thing about Corey Perry.
This is the thing though, i feel like ever since we took bigger guys that ended up being busts in the 90's (see Jason Ward, Terry Ryan, etc.,), we're now scared to take these type of guys and end taking d-men or smaller, more skilled forwards. I have a gut feeling about this Rychel kid. I think he has Brandon Saad written all over him. That said, he might still be available in the second round.

Personally, i'm of the mind that with our first three picks we just go out and get 2-3 big forwards. I know it sounds simplistic, but odds are that if we do that, at least one of them will pan out. Like if we took Erne, Rychel, and Dickinson for instance.

I'm tired of taking safe picks in the first round, and to me a safe pick is a guy who skate well but is under-sized. We already have enough of these players. It's time to draft for need.

Old
06-13-2013, 11:29 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyD View Post
Hockey Prospect:

Quote:
Quotable: “Some games he seems to have it all together, other games he’s not a factor. Physically he has all the tools. I just don’t see him putting it all together. I have coached some players in the past who were just too nice. It’s
difficult to make a nice kid be something he’s not comfortable being. I see some
of that in Hudson.” – Mark Edwards
FC:

Quote:
Fasching possesses the body of a man-child but fails to play with enough aggressiveness or passion to take advantage of
it. He needs to use his size and strength to make a difference more often. He came into the season with a high profile but failed to live up
to the expectations of being a projected first round selection after his time tearing up Minnesota HS hockey. His intensity and desire have
some questions left unanswered
RLR:

Quote:
Falling:

-Hudson Fasching: Simply not exhibiting a high enough skill level to overcome the heavy boots. We thought he had better hands.
McKeen's

Quote:
2013 NHL Draft: Falling Prospects:

Hudson Fasching (RW, 2013), USNTDP

Despite an impressive showing at the U18 World Championships, Fasching failed to build on his point totals this year .. his skating also saw limited improvement since the beginning of the season.
He'll get picked high because of his size and potential but he's not someone I have much interest in. A lot of red flags there.

Old
06-13-2013, 11:34 AM
ChesterNimitz

Quote:
Yet ... Just above I mentioned that I would take petan over anyone else at 25 ... I don't want anything specific other than the BPA
Your logic is unassailable.

Old
06-13-2013, 11:36 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Chucky breakout year

vCash: 646
Quote:
This is the thing though, i feel like ever since we took bigger guys that ended up being busts in the 90's (see Jason Ward, Terry Ryan, etc.,), we're now scared to take these type of guys and end taking d-men or smaller, more skilled forwards. I have a gut feeling about this Rychel kid. I think he has Brandon Saad written all over him. That said, he might still be available in the second round.
The comparison can be made, both are late birthdays, both players come from the same division in the OHL, both with inconsistent draft years, 2 fairly big guys...but Saad is a much better skater than Rychel and also far better defensively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaZiKaN View Post
With Drewiski signed for next year as our 7th D, could we expect Webber to be traded at the draft? Wath is his value?
Apparently, Bergevin wanted a 3rd rounder or better during the season for Weber. Wasn't going to settle for a 5th rounder. Renaud Lavoie reported it right after the deadline.

The best way to do this trade could be with a conditional pick based on Weber's performance, the better he does, the better pick.

Old
06-13-2013, 11:37 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNimitz View Post
Your logic is unassailable.
you're right, my logic is to go BPA over anything and this will never change.

Old
06-13-2013, 11:39 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
The comparison can be made, both are late birthdays, both players come from the same division in the OHL, both with inconsistent draft years, 2 fairly big guys...but Saad is a much better skater than Rychel and also far better defensively.

Apparently, Bergevin wanted a 3rd rounder or better during the season for Weber. Wasn't going to settle for a 5th rounder. Renaud Lavoie reported it right after the deadline.

The best way to do this trade could be with a conditional pick based on Weber's performance, the better he does, the better pick.
Not so sure that Saad is clearly superior defensively. I don't think you can really knock on him for his two-way play. But in the same way, Rychel is a lot more physical.

Old
06-13-2013, 11:39 AM
ChesterNimitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
The biggest knock is his skating. I think you could make a case that he's the worst skater out of all the 'consensus' first rounders. His offensive upside is questionable too - he's one of those guys that might top out as just a third liner in the NHL.
If possible, you're over-rating his potential. Leave it to us, in one of the best drafts in the last 35 years, to pick one of the players with the lowest ceiling. For that reason alone, I'm not adverse to trading down and thus reducing the chances that we will have the opportunity to make that mistake.

Old
06-13-2013, 11:47 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Chucky breakout year

vCash: 646
Quote:
Not so sure that Saad is clearly superior defensively. I don't think you can really knock on him for his two-way play. But in the same way, Rychel is a lot more physical.
Well, Saad played a bit on the Blackhawks PK this year (51 seconds per game on average). They also had him on the Toews-Hossa line most of the season, which is their power on power line.

I don't think Rychel will be doing that as a 20 year old in the NHL. Maybe his defensive ability isn't a problem, but people have knocked Rychel's aversion to backchecking hard.

Old
06-13-2013, 12:02 PM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaZiKaN View Post
5th round pick at best IMO.

Old
06-13-2013, 12:04 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNimitz View Post
If possible, you're over-rating his potential. Leave it to us, in one of the best drafts in the last 35 years, to pick one of the players with the lowest ceiling. For that reason alone, I'm not adverse to trading down and thus reducing the chances that we will have the opportunity to make that mistake.
Or we could see a repeat of 2003 - we take the home run, all-skill pick in Kostitsyn and miss the guys who are bad skaters with attitude/commitment/upside questions in Richards, Getzlaf and Perry.

I apologize to everyone for bringing that comparison up again

Closed Thread