HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 11.0

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-13-2013, 10:02 AM
  #226
phillytennis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
What should he say ? This doesn't tell me anything. It doesn't indicate if he will pass on Petan over a guy like Mantha for the sake of size or not. A thing he said though is that he will be looking for character.



If you hope a 6'5 230 18 years old kid to wow you with speed... The u18 was on a big ice and McCarron effective in close. He has fast foot in close. Sure he has no speed to burn... But which succesful 6'5 230 forward has it ???


No hes not.... But there will be someone better at 25 for sure.
As a P.Ed teacher, a former hockey player, coach I have seen all types of players.
When the Habs won the cup 4 years in a row from 1976--79, they never compromised on speed and finesse. They had finesse players above all who could play a gritty game when called upon...take for instance, Lambert, Tremblay, Risebrough, Gainey, Robinson, Nyrop, Bouchard...you get the point.
MRB1...you want size above all. I want skill, speed, character and size. I don't want to compromise on the first three points.


Last edited by Doctor No: 06-13-2013 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Flaming
phillytennis is offline  
Old
06-13-2013, 10:08 AM
  #227
TinordiandSubban
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,406
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
What do you guys think of Sergei Tolchinsky? Too small?
Would win a tallest midget contest with three of the Habs current top six, and is very quick and elusive. Best skater in the draft, makes Datsyukian plays at top speed and says he loves playing in North America.

Dare to draft him in the 3rd?

TinordiandSubban is offline  
Old
06-13-2013, 10:17 AM
  #228
phillytennis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinordiandSubban View Post
Would win a tallest midget contest with three of the Habs current top six, and is very quick and elusive. Best skater in the draft, makes Datsyukian plays at top speed and says he loves playing in North America.

Dare to draft him in the 3rd?
I love Datsyuk's attitude when he plays...supremely talented, competitive and responsible at both ends of the ice. He is not typical of most Russian players in the NHL. I would have to do some more due diligence before considering him. Maybe he would be a good 6th or 7th round pick.

phillytennis is offline  
Old
06-13-2013, 10:23 AM
  #229
Nitehowl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: BC Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 918
vCash: 500
Habs Combine player no one mentioned....

http://www.merrittherald.com/sports/211293461.html


Seventeen-year-old Merritt Centennials defenceman Dane Birks can be forgiven if he was a little tired in class this past week.

The Grade 12 student at Merritt Secondary School ex-perienced the thrill of a lifetime in slightly less than 48 hours as he was the only BCHL player invited to a special evaluation camp put on by the Montreal Canadiens on Wednesday, June 5 at the Bell Sports Complex,

Nitehowl is offline  
Old
06-13-2013, 10:28 AM
  #230
Draft
Registered User
 
Draft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,019
vCash: 500
I was giving the Hockey Writers War Room write-up another once over. For the most part, seems like a pretty good list this year. Great source for video and write-ups if the less absorbed posters haven't gotten there yet. Especially helpful for the players many of us might not have seen as much of that will go in the 2nd round onwards.

http://thehockeywriters.com/2013-nhl...ition-round-1/

I'm feeling Lehkonen, Bailey, Poirier, DLR, and Dauphin for #34 and #36. But maybe also Mccoshen, McCarron, Hagg, Petan and Klimchuk. 10 guys in two picks..... make it happen MB.

Draft is offline  
Old
06-13-2013, 10:29 AM
  #231
phillytennis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitehowl View Post
http://www.merrittherald.com/sports/211293461.html


Seventeen-year-old Merritt Centennials defenceman Dane Birks can be forgiven if he was a little tired in class this past week.

The Grade 12 student at Merritt Secondary School ex-perienced the thrill of a lifetime in slightly less than 48 hours as he was the only BCHL player invited to a special evaluation camp put on by the Montreal Canadiens on Wednesday, June 5 at the Bell Sports Complex,
Seems pretty level headed. He could a good sleeper pick.

phillytennis is offline  
Old
06-13-2013, 10:36 AM
  #232
ChoseLa
Registered User
 
ChoseLa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: Martinique
Posts: 4,331
vCash: 500
Lekonhen could easily be a 1st rounder, he got amazing skills and came into the combina a 6", so he's not even a small player anymore.

ChoseLa is online now  
Old
06-13-2013, 10:46 AM
  #233
HaZiKaN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 90
vCash: 500
With Drewiski signed for next year as our 7th D, could we expect Webber to be traded at the draft? Wath is his value?

HaZiKaN is offline  
Old
06-13-2013, 10:49 AM
  #234
Nitehowl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: BC Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 918
vCash: 500
" -Kevin Devine, Buffalo Sabres

How they grade:

We use dropoff points. I think there are three of them in the top 10. After that I think from 10-25 you may get the same player at 25 that you do at 10.

For all those people that want to trade the two 2nd's + 25th to move up a few spots

Nitehowl is offline  
Old
06-13-2013, 11:00 AM
  #235
Mrb1p
Registered User
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,933
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillytennis View Post
As a P.Ed teacher, a former hockey player, coach I have seen all types of players.
When the Habs won the cup 4 years in a row from 1976--79, they never compromised on speed and finesse. They had finesse players above all who could play a gritty game when called upon...take for instance, Lambert, Tremblay, Risebrough, Gainey, Robinson, Nyrop, Bouchard...you get the point.
MRB1...you want size above all. I want skill, speed, character and size. I don't want to compromise on the first three points.
Yet ... Just above I mentioned that I would take petan over anyone else at 25 ... I don't want anything specific other than the BPA

Mrb1p is offline  
Old
06-13-2013, 11:03 AM
  #236
Shutdown
Registered User
 
Shutdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 927
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitehowl View Post
http://www.merrittherald.com/sports/211293461.html


Seventeen-year-old Merritt Centennials defenceman Dane Birks can be forgiven if he was a little tired in class this past week.

The Grade 12 student at Merritt Secondary School ex-perienced the thrill of a lifetime in slightly less than 48 hours as he was the only BCHL player invited to a special evaluation camp put on by the Montreal Canadiens on Wednesday, June 5 at the Bell Sports Complex,
From another article

"Listed heights and weights can always be questionable, but Birks went from being listed at 6'1" 165 lbs. last season with Creston Valley of the KIJHL, to 6'3" 190 lbs."

Also his profile on eliteprospect (who has him at that 6'1, 165lbs) says he's committed to Michigan Tech for 2015-16... 2 more years of Junior A? Even MacMillan who was under developed only played one year outside of his draft year in the BCHL. But Birks is an August birthdate I think, so that makes him one of the younger guys in the draft.

edit: http://www.techhockeyguide.com/2012/...or-the-future/
these guys say he's a 2014 commit. they cover M. Tech exclusively so I'm guessing they know what they're talking about.

Shutdown is offline  
Old
06-13-2013, 11:04 AM
  #237
Markowicz
Simple Jacques
 
Markowicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,037
vCash: 500
Just ben doing a lot of reading up on our potential picks this coming draft and i'm a little confused about the Kerby Rychel hate. Can someone explain what the biggest knock on this guy is? All indicators are that he's big, has good work ethic, and scores goals in the tough-to-get-to areas of the ice.

Is he super slow or something?

Markowicz is offline  
Old
06-13-2013, 11:09 AM
  #238
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,491
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markowicz View Post
Just ben doing a lot of reading up on our potential picks this coming draft and i'm a little confused about the Kerby Rychel hate. Can someone explain what the biggest knock on this guy is? All indicators are that he's big, has good work ethic, and scores goals in the tough-to-get-to areas of the ice.

Is he super slow or something?
The biggest knock is his skating. I think you could make a case that he's the worst skater out of all the 'consensus' first rounders. His offensive upside is questionable too - he's one of those guys that might top out as just a third liner in the NHL.

hototogisu is offline  
Old
06-13-2013, 11:09 AM
  #239
Mrb1p
Registered User
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,933
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markowicz View Post
Just ben doing a lot of reading up on our potential picks this coming draft and i'm a little confused about the Kerby Rychel hate. Can someone explain what the biggest knock on this guy is? All indicators are that he's big, has good work ethic, and scores goals in the tough-to-get-to areas of the ice.

Is he super slow or something?
He's inconsistent, has low offensive potential and he's not the best skater.

we said the same thing about Corey Perry.

Mrb1p is offline  
Old
06-13-2013, 11:15 AM
  #240
AnthonyD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 44
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Really? I've had to look long and hard to find a positive scouting report on Fasching at this point. Way too inconsistent, not a great skater, not very engaged physically, and not showing a huge amount of skill. It seems like he has the frame scouts love but little else. Not sure I'd go for him in any round.
http://thehockeywriters.com/hudson-f...spect-profile/

AnthonyD is offline  
Old
06-13-2013, 11:27 AM
  #241
Markowicz
Simple Jacques
 
Markowicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,037
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
He's inconsistent, has low offensive potential and he's not the best skater.

we said the same thing about Corey Perry.
This is the thing though, i feel like ever since we took bigger guys that ended up being busts in the 90's (see Jason Ward, Terry Ryan, etc.,), we're now scared to take these type of guys and end taking d-men or smaller, more skilled forwards. I have a gut feeling about this Rychel kid. I think he has Brandon Saad written all over him. That said, he might still be available in the second round.

Personally, i'm of the mind that with our first three picks we just go out and get 2-3 big forwards. I know it sounds simplistic, but odds are that if we do that, at least one of them will pan out. Like if we took Erne, Rychel, and Dickinson for instance.

I'm tired of taking safe picks in the first round, and to me a safe pick is a guy who skate well but is under-sized. We already have enough of these players. It's time to draft for need.

Markowicz is offline  
Old
06-13-2013, 11:29 AM
  #242
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,491
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyD View Post
Hockey Prospect:

Quote:
Quotable: “Some games he seems to have it all together, other games he’s not a factor. Physically he has all the tools. I just don’t see him putting it all together. I have coached some players in the past who were just too nice. It’s
difficult to make a nice kid be something he’s not comfortable being. I see some
of that in Hudson.” – Mark Edwards
FC:

Quote:
Fasching possesses the body of a man-child but fails to play with enough aggressiveness or passion to take advantage of
it. He needs to use his size and strength to make a difference more often. He came into the season with a high profile but failed to live up
to the expectations of being a projected first round selection after his time tearing up Minnesota HS hockey. His intensity and desire have
some questions left unanswered
RLR:

Quote:
Falling:

-Hudson Fasching: Simply not exhibiting a high enough skill level to overcome the heavy boots. We thought he had better hands.
McKeen's

Quote:
2013 NHL Draft: Falling Prospects:

Hudson Fasching (RW, 2013), USNTDP

Despite an impressive showing at the U18 World Championships, Fasching failed to build on his point totals this year .. his skating also saw limited improvement since the beginning of the season.
He'll get picked high because of his size and potential but he's not someone I have much interest in. A lot of red flags there.

hototogisu is offline  
Old
06-13-2013, 11:34 AM
  #243
ChesterNimitz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: CinCPac
Country: Midway Islands
Posts: 460
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Yet ... Just above I mentioned that I would take petan over anyone else at 25 ... I don't want anything specific other than the BPA
Your logic is unassailable.

ChesterNimitz is offline  
Old
06-13-2013, 11:36 AM
  #244
Marc the Habs Fan
Moderator
Chucky breakout year
 
Marc the Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Longueuil
Country: Canada
Posts: 53,030
vCash: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markowicz View Post
This is the thing though, i feel like ever since we took bigger guys that ended up being busts in the 90's (see Jason Ward, Terry Ryan, etc.,), we're now scared to take these type of guys and end taking d-men or smaller, more skilled forwards. I have a gut feeling about this Rychel kid. I think he has Brandon Saad written all over him. That said, he might still be available in the second round.
The comparison can be made, both are late birthdays, both players come from the same division in the OHL, both with inconsistent draft years, 2 fairly big guys...but Saad is a much better skater than Rychel and also far better defensively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaZiKaN View Post
With Drewiski signed for next year as our 7th D, could we expect Webber to be traded at the draft? Wath is his value?
Apparently, Bergevin wanted a 3rd rounder or better during the season for Weber. Wasn't going to settle for a 5th rounder. Renaud Lavoie reported it right after the deadline.

The best way to do this trade could be with a conditional pick based on Weber's performance, the better he does, the better pick.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline  
Old
06-13-2013, 11:37 AM
  #245
Mrb1p
Registered User
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,933
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNimitz View Post
Your logic is unassailable.
you're right, my logic is to go BPA over anything and this will never change.

Mrb1p is offline  
Old
06-13-2013, 11:39 AM
  #246
Mrb1p
Registered User
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,933
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
The comparison can be made, both are late birthdays, both players come from the same division in the OHL, both with inconsistent draft years, 2 fairly big guys...but Saad is a much better skater than Rychel and also far better defensively.



Apparently, Bergevin wanted a 3rd rounder or better during the season for Weber. Wasn't going to settle for a 5th rounder. Renaud Lavoie reported it right after the deadline.

The best way to do this trade could be with a conditional pick based on Weber's performance, the better he does, the better pick.
Not so sure that Saad is clearly superior defensively. I don't think you can really knock on him for his two-way play. But in the same way, Rychel is a lot more physical.

Mrb1p is offline  
Old
06-13-2013, 11:39 AM
  #247
ChesterNimitz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: CinCPac
Country: Midway Islands
Posts: 460
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
The biggest knock is his skating. I think you could make a case that he's the worst skater out of all the 'consensus' first rounders. His offensive upside is questionable too - he's one of those guys that might top out as just a third liner in the NHL.
If possible, you're over-rating his potential. Leave it to us, in one of the best drafts in the last 35 years, to pick one of the players with the lowest ceiling. For that reason alone, I'm not adverse to trading down and thus reducing the chances that we will have the opportunity to make that mistake.

ChesterNimitz is offline  
Old
06-13-2013, 11:47 AM
  #248
Marc the Habs Fan
Moderator
Chucky breakout year
 
Marc the Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Longueuil
Country: Canada
Posts: 53,030
vCash: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Not so sure that Saad is clearly superior defensively. I don't think you can really knock on him for his two-way play. But in the same way, Rychel is a lot more physical.
Well, Saad played a bit on the Blackhawks PK this year (51 seconds per game on average). They also had him on the Toews-Hossa line most of the season, which is their power on power line.

I don't think Rychel will be doing that as a 20 year old in the NHL. Maybe his defensive ability isn't a problem, but people have knocked Rychel's aversion to backchecking hard.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline  
Old
06-13-2013, 12:02 PM
  #249
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy
 
ChuckyToGally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaZiKaN View Post
With Drewiski signed for next year as our 7th D, could we expect Webber to be traded at the draft? Wath is his value?
5th round pick at best IMO.

ChuckyToGally is online now  
Old
06-13-2013, 12:04 PM
  #250
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,491
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNimitz View Post
If possible, you're over-rating his potential. Leave it to us, in one of the best drafts in the last 35 years, to pick one of the players with the lowest ceiling. For that reason alone, I'm not adverse to trading down and thus reducing the chances that we will have the opportunity to make that mistake.
Or we could see a repeat of 2003 - we take the home run, all-skill pick in Kostitsyn and miss the guys who are bad skaters with attitude/commitment/upside questions in Richards, Getzlaf and Perry.

I apologize to everyone for bringing that comparison up again

hototogisu is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:40 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.