HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Torey Krug and the Big, Bad, Bruins

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-26-2013, 09:31 AM
  #1
DKH
Registered User
 
DKH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 25,793
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DKH
Torey Krug and the Big, Bad, Bruins

With 80-something Stan Fischler covering this recent series it made me think back 40 years ago one Christmas morning when under the tree was a brand new book penned by Stan called 'Bobby Orr, and the Big, Bad, Bruins'. I still have the thing to this day although the picture of Bobby on the cover is in about the same shape as his knees.

I had thought Stan was in some nursing home by now, long since diagnosed with dementia (it was clearly apparent about 10 years ago in his history or hockey book, when he said Dennis Potvin is better than Orr)

of course like many things in life Stan had an agenda- word is his popular Bobby Orr & ....was a best seller and Orr saw not a penny. Stan wrote it and cashed the checks and true or not bought a nice summer place in up state New York. Orr may have led the league in many categories in his playing days but getting financially screwed over also found him near the top. Orr was not happy about this apparently and Fischler was not a popular person around the Bruins while dotting on the New ( ) teams he covered and drew a check.

Well, when I read Stan was making predictions about this series on twitter- I was shocked. Stan Lives atleast on social media!!!! Lo and behold I see Stan has almost 20,000 followers but only ONE- yes ONE he is following.

One follower? who can Stan possibly be following has to be his writer wife Shirley. But now I am not so sure.....I'm going Torey Krug.

Stan cashed in on Orr for a summer home, Torey Krug may be the key to the best assisted living home in NY.

as an aside on Krug- it will be interesting how the Penguins deal with him- they are talented but are they willing to leave their forwards high to watch him and the others, and allow Boston's first two lines especially and the Merlot line work on the Penguins defense. Douglas Murray is a borderline late and heavy hitter who concerns me- love to see Lucic bury him and then get him to drop the gloves and tune him up like a fish

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 09:37 AM
  #2
blackngold4877
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 788
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
With 80-something Stan Fischler covering this recent series it made me think back 40 years ago one Christmas morning when under the tree was a brand new book penned by Stan called 'Bobby Orr, and the Big, Bad, Bruins'. I still have the thing to this day although the picture of Bobby on the cover is in about the same shape as his knees.

I had thought Stan was in some nursing home by now, long since diagnosed with dementia (it was clearly apparent about 10 years ago in his history or hockey book, when he said Dennis Potvin is better than Orr)

of course like many things in life Stan had an agenda- word is his popular Bobby Orr & ....was a best seller and Orr saw not a penny. Stan wrote it and cashed the checks and true or not bought a nice summer place in up state New York. Orr may have led the league in many categories in his playing days but getting financially screwed over also found him near the top. Orr was not happy about this apparently and Fischler was not a popular person around the Bruins while dotting on the New ( ) teams he covered and drew a check.

Well, when I read Stan was making predictions about this series on twitter- I was shocked. Stan Lives atleast on social media!!!! Lo and behold I see Stan has almost 20,000 followers but only ONE- yes ONE he is following.

One follower? who can Stan possibly be following has to be his writer wife Shirley. But now I am not so sure.....I'm going Torey Krug.

Stan cashed in on Orr for a summer home, Torey Krug may be the key to the best assisted living home in NY.

as an aside on Krug- it will be interesting how the Penguins deal with him- they are talented but are they willing to leave their forwards high to watch him and the others, and allow Boston's first two lines especially and the Merlot line work on the Penguins defense. Douglas Murray is a borderline late and heavy hitter who concerns me- love to see Lucic bury him and then get him to drop the gloves and tune him up like a fish
Krug has been a god send so far, hopefully he can keep up the pace. He completely changes our breakout and power play when he's out there, the Rangers had no answer for the guy and if he's beating Lundquist clean on those shots he'll beat Vokoun with them as well.

blackngold4877 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 09:39 AM
  #3
RI.B FAN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: JAMESTOWN RI
Posts: 1,127
vCash: 500
I have the same paperback book. Looks a lot like yours. Must have read that about 10 times. Pit will meet there first real threat in this upcoming series. Go Bruins!

RI.B FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 09:47 AM
  #4
DKH
Registered User
 
DKH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 25,793
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DKH
I'm Pittsburgh I'm shading high on the defense and having Orpik and Murray specifically play overly physical on Boston's forwards down low.

I'm Boston I want Bergeron on Crosby and Krejci on Malkin. I'm sure Pittsburgh is comfortable any matchup but that.

Krejci got banged up yesterday and was flexing his leg a few times after a huge board hit. Lucic and Horton need to bring yesterdays game to this series. I think they will. They are the ultimate water seeks its own level players.

I ****ing hate James Neil but he is a concern.

Boston needs to split in Pitt...and rough up those guys like the Islanders did. Crosby hates, hates, hates being called a whiney little *****, so Boston needs to call him out publically when he goes into his ass kissing to the linesman and refs routine.

Boston needs to do the blueprint of the Islanders, and since they are much better when engaged they can make things interesting. Boston to me can beat everyone left but this team- but they are the underdogs and may be more talented that me and others give credit because they lally gag thru so many periods and games this year.

Boston needs to win battles low because the Pens are going to be spread out and looking to both cover the defense and get quick strike transition if Krug or Bartkowski, or even Johnny start to wander or pinch to much.

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 10:57 AM
  #5
misterjaggers
Puma
 
misterjaggers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: The Duke City
Country: United States
Posts: 14,273
vCash: 500
Remember Hawgie hockey? See action at the 4:00 mark.



Last edited by misterjaggers: 05-26-2013 at 11:13 AM.
misterjaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 07:41 PM
  #6
vjcsmoke
Registered User
 
vjcsmoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 595
vCash: 500
Hopefully Krug has a longer career with Boston than Hawgood who lasted just two years before being traded for Vladimir Ruzicka.

http://nhltradetracker.com/playersta...pid=2200&name= Greg Hawgood

Ruzicka, interestingly enough had a 'breakout' second year where he scored
39 goals and 36 assists for nearly a ppg pace.

http://nhltradetracker.com/playersta...pid=4716&name= Vladimir Ruzicka

However Ruzicka was a defensive liability, didn't mesh with coach Sutter who arrived the next year, and ended up leaving in free agency for Ottawa.

http://bruinslegends.blogspot.com/20...r-ruzicka.html

Let's just say I have higher hopes for Krug than either Hawgood or Ruzicka. Hoping to see a 10 year player here!!

vjcsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 07:52 PM
  #7
WBC8
 
WBC8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Da Wood, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 34,476
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaggers View Post
Remember Hawgie hockey? See action at the 4:00 mark.

Just awful officiating in that game.

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 08:37 PM
  #8
Concessionaire
My Precious
 
Concessionaire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,204
vCash: 500
I was reading the Devils' OoT thread after yesterday's game. A couple of posters there mentioned Krug had similarities to Brian Rafalski. I'd take that.


Last edited by Concessionaire: 05-26-2013 at 08:46 PM.
Concessionaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 08:46 PM
  #9
SPV
Zoinks!
 
SPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New Hampshire
Country: United States
Posts: 4,631
vCash: 500
I found a hard cover copy of that book about a year ago in the dollar bin at the local grocery store. It's in terrible condition, but my 5 year old son loves it. He always asks us to do his hair like Bobby Orr!

Super impressed with Krug right now, didn't expect much from him and love to be proven wrong. Worried about this series, but hoping our depth and a long layoff for their tenders will play in our favor. Hoping for the best, expecting the worst.

SPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 09:10 PM
  #10
eskimo7737
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 159
vCash: 500
I think being compared to Brian Rafalski is a good comparison for Krug, I agree, I will take it...

eskimo7737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 09:47 PM
  #11
howaryuh
Registered User
 
howaryuh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Guelph, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,606
vCash: 500
I saw Stan's twitter account, quite excited as yes I had read and enjoyed his books in days gone by.
To say he is eccentric is an understatement, it was a quick 'unfollow'.

howaryuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 09:47 AM
  #12
Dennis Bonvie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 7,451
vCash: 500
Stan Fischler gives hockey a bad name.

Going into the playoffs I had no expectations for this team. I felt one and done was a real possibility. To be going up against Pittsburgh in round 3 in unreal. To have a Tory Krug emerge, unreal again. This is all gravy from my perspective.

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 09:57 AM
  #13
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Kate08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Medford MA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,447
vCash: 500
Saw Krug and Bartkowski at the bar on Saturday night. Very gracious towards people that tried to talk to them.

ETA: That I observed. I did not talk to them.

Kate08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 11:51 AM
  #14
westernhome
Registered User
 
westernhome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,225
vCash: 500
so much for the quoted line by Claude of "don't worry about making a mistake, just play" as Krug looked nervous for the first time in yesterday's game, and then found himself benched for a while after making a big mistake

kid has been playing hard, Chicago's forecheck with fast big forwards was giving all the Bruins' defencmen some troubles at times, hate to see the rookie getting crapped on for a mistake or two when his compete level was top notch the whole game

westernhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 11:54 AM
  #15
patty59
***************
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,228
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by westernhome View Post
so much for the quoted line by Claude of "don't worry about making a mistake, just play" as Krug looked nervous for the first time in yesterday's game, and then found himself benched for a while after making a big mistake

kid has been playing hard, Chicago's forecheck with fast big forwards was giving all the Bruins' defencmen some troubles at times, hate to see the rookie getting crapped on for a mistake or two when his compete level was top notch the whole game
When a coach sits a guy out for a few shifts it's not him crapping on the player. He's a rookie and he needed to settle down a bit, his very next shift he iced the puck and sat for a bit longer. He's a good player, but sometimes you have to sit a rookie out for a few shifts if the nerves are getting to him. It's for from getting crapped on, as you can tell by him still getting shifts in the 3rd OT.

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 12:02 PM
  #16
QC
Visionary.
 
QC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 7,072
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by westernhome View Post
so much for the quoted line by Claude of "don't worry about making a mistake, just play" as Krug looked nervous for the first time in yesterday's game, and then found himself benched for a while after making a big mistake

kid has been playing hard, Chicago's forecheck with fast big forwards was giving all the Bruins' defencmen some troubles at times, hate to see the rookie getting crapped on for a mistake or two when his compete level was top notch the whole game
Crapped on?! You're making it sound like Clode gave him the Stu Bickel treatment.

QC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 12:05 PM
  #17
finchster
Registered User
 
finchster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Belgorod
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 7,236
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to finchster
Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
When a coach sits a guy out for a few shifts it's not him crapping on the player. He's a rookie and he needed to settle down a bit, his very next shift he iced the puck and sat for a bit longer. He's a good player, but sometimes you have to sit a rookie out for a few shifts if the nerves are getting to him. It's for from getting crapped on, as you can tell by him still getting shifts in the 3rd OT.
I've liked Krug this playoff but last night was his worst game of the playoffs, sitting him wasn't bad it gave us the best chance to win.

finchster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 12:08 PM
  #18
patty59
***************
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,228
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by finchster View Post
I've liked Krug this playoff but last night was his worst game of the playoffs, sitting him wasn't bad it gave us the best chance to win.
Exactly, it's not October, you can't just throw him out there and figure it out. Let him settle down a bit and try it again.

After he threw that puck up the middle that led to the 2nd goal I figured that was the last we'd see of him. But it wasn't. In a game as long as that one, you need all your guys so they had to play him.

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 12:14 PM
  #19
bwunderlich
Registered User
 
bwunderlich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: woodstock, ny
Posts: 2,073
vCash: 500
Must have missed this thread Dan.

Stan lives a few miles from me in the Catskills . . .I used to see him cycling in the area as he was proud to bike up a few steep climbs even up to a few years ago.

Thats all I can say positively about that.

bwunderlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 12:16 PM
  #20
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 11,396
vCash: 500
It wasn't the first puck he threw up the middle.

BNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 12:18 PM
  #21
WBC8
 
WBC8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Da Wood, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 34,476
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Nobody worried about Krug's aggressiveness when he was making those plays 99% of the time and whipping up on King Henrik....it's who he is... You live with it.. ... was it ill advised? Hell yes. Should he have known better? Yep. You want to sit him? Good luck, because you aren;'t holding this team to 1 goal a game like the Rags and Pens..

Cut him some slack.

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 12:22 PM
  #22
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 11,396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Nobody worried about Krug's aggressiveness when he was making those plays 99% of the time and whipping up on King Henrik....it's who he is... You live with it.. ... was it ill advised? Hell yes. Should he have known better? Yep. You want to sit him? Good luck, because you aren;'t holding this team to 1 goal a game like the Rags and Pens..

Cut him some slack.
I agree,but Claude usually has a short leash for mental errors and has definite opinions on decision making.

BNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 12:25 PM
  #23
patty59
***************
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,228
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Nobody worried about Krug's aggressiveness when he was making those plays 99% of the time and whipping up on King Henrik....it's who he is... You live with it.. ... was it ill advised? Hell yes. Should he have known better? Yep. You want to sit him? Good luck, because you aren;'t holding this team to 1 goal a game like the Rags and Pens..

Cut him some slack.
I doubt he'll get scratched, but you NEVER throw the puck up the middle, ever. Krug knows this and hopefully something like that doesn't happen again.

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 12:42 PM
  #24
RussellmaniaKW
Registered User
 
RussellmaniaKW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,398
vCash: 500
serious question: what was he supposed to do on that play? the NBC guys were saying he should have gone up the boards, but with the Bruins changing that would have just been asking for a too many men on the ice penalty. Hawks were also changing so it could have just as easily been picked off along the boards.

Should he have just held on to it a little longer or what? I'm not saying he made the right play, but I think it's a tougher play than people are admitting.

RussellmaniaKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 12:45 PM
  #25
patty59
***************
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,228
vCash: 500
put if off the glass.

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:43 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.