HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Canadiens sign defenseman Davis Drewiske to a two-year contract ($637.5K AAV)

Old
06-13-2013, 11:55 AM
Habster33
In Habs we trust!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jee View Post
Don't forget Emelin will be out till (iirc) November. Having depth is always a good thing.
It's too bad people here can't understand that point. It's pretty ridiculous when you see people whining about a 7th/8th D man dept that will reflect about 1% on the CAP.

People always want to get the best FA available, They don't seem to get that you don't build a team with FA but with players you draft. We don't have a chance at winning the SC within the next 2-3 years for sure so why trade prospects/draft picks for a cup run now when we're not there yet..

I just don't get people here sometimes.

FWIW I think it's a good DEPTH move. You need 8-9 Dmen for a entire season.

Habster33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 11:56 AM
danyhabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
Correct me if im wrong, but if he gets sent to the AHL, his salary wont count against the CAP?

Wiuld he had to go through re-entry waivers?
637.5k$ playing in the NHL.

Molson wouldnt like that.

Last year Nokelainen was in the AHL too.

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 11:57 AM
Dean Ambrose
#BESTFORBUSINESS

vCash: 233
For 637K, I'm all for it. He's a depth guy and teams need that. Emelin will be out past the beginning of the season, so this move doesn't hurt. Drewiske can step in for that time and do a well.

Dean Ambrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 11:58 AM
Habster33
In Habs we trust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Pretty surprised by that signing. I'm all for depth, but depth that could actually play....not sure we were convinced of that when he did. But then, it's not a lot of money. You do have to wish though that to have a better D....Drewiske CANNOT be in your starting lineup.

So as of now, we have 2 guys that are signed and shouldn't be starting...Bouillon and Drewiske. Time to move up the ladder Marc.....
Do you really think that Drewiske will be starting every game???

Old
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
The issue I have with guys like Drewiske is that if it's what you call having "depth", well 30 teams in the league have this depth, because every team has at least a couple of players like Drewiske.

I mean. Nothing against the guy, but I would hope something more significant to help our D. I guess we shall see, but I don't have a good feeling about Bergevin for this summer. Guy looks like he fell in love with his team.
In my opinion, you are focusing on the wrong issue. Drewiske as our #7 d-man at $600K per year is a minor issue when it comes to our overall defensive play. Our #5 and #6 d-men are a far more important issue to be concerned with. They will be getting a lot more ice time than Drewiske and their play will have more of an impact on the results.

This is a solid signing which allows young players to develop for another year and allow Bergevin to consider his options for those higher up on the depth chart.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habster33 View Post
It's too bad people here can't understand that point. It's pretty ridiculous when you see people whining about a 7th/8th D man dept that will reflect about 1% on the CAP.
Yeah but the point that's been made over and over is that this is the same "depth" that was supposed to shine at the moment we went through our ugliest defensive stretch of the entire year.

It's natural for people to be skeptical about the move until Bergevin makes a significant upgrade to the actual talent that this vaunted "depth" is supposed to support.

It reminds me a little of last year when we signed Bouillon (which I was not opposed to myself, mind you) - but the chorus was, "great depth, won't play all the games, good 7th defenseman!", etc. Fast forward to this year and our depth guy played the entire year on the second pairing.

Last edited by hototogisu: 06-13-2013 at 12:07 PM.
hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 11:59 AM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

Quote:
Drewiske is NOT depth.
Yes, yes he is.

Quote:
Having Drewiske as a 7th d-man is nothing more than having enough bodies to fill the 23 guys roster.
That is exactly what depth is. Some teams will have better depths, though.

Jee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 12:00 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
Correct me if im wrong, but if he gets sent to the AHL, his salary wont count against the CAP?

Wiuld he had to go through re-entry waivers?
Re-entry waivers were eliminated in this CBA. Waivers only apply on the way down.

You are correct any cap hit under 900k has no cap implications in the AHL. If you were to send him down he has ZERO cap hit after clearing waivers. The only risk to the team is his salary(guaranteed) and one of 50 contracts.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 12:03 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Pretty surprised by that signing. I'm all for depth, but depth that could actually play....not sure we were convinced of that when he did. But then, it's not a lot of money. You do have to wish though that to have a better D....Drewiske CANNOT be in your starting lineup.

So as of now, we have 2 guys that are signed and shouldn't be starting...Bouillon and Drewiske. Time to move up the ladder Marc.....
No need to panic. The salary alone tells you that he is not expected to be in the starting lineup. As I said earlier, this is not a make or break situation but it was some housekeeping that needed to be taken care of.

It gives the team some breathing room to see how players are developing in Hamilton and it is a bit of insurance against Emelin's recovery.

Old
06-13-2013, 12:03 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Decent signing, he is basically going to replace Weber's role on the team, which he is better suited for, he can play both LD and RD, ppl say he is a great teammate, and has been in that role before.

IMO if Emelin was healthy, Drewiski and Bouillon would be our 7-8th d-men, which is perfectly fine with me.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 12:06 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Now just make a trade for Weber for a 4th.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 12:07 PM
Tyson

Depth move. At least the fifth we used to get him is not totally lost

Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 12:07 PM
Habster33
In Habs we trust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Yeah but the point that's been made over and over is that this is the same "depth" that was supposed to shine at the moment we went through our ugliest defensive stretch of the entire year.

It's natural for people to be skeptical about the move until Bergevin makes a significant upgrade to the actual talent that this vaunted "depth" is supposed to support.
He barely played for us. Let him get a few games under his belt with the Habs before judging him. I agree he may not be the best D in the NHL but give him a chance at least.

We need to change the Top 6 D and stop worrying about depth players. In 2014-2015, we'll see where MB stands since we'll only have Gorges and Subban (if he gets an extension) on the payroll. We'll see if we stick with the young kids (Tinordi and Beaulieu) or if we make a trade or not. MB we'll be able to shape the D squads he'd like to have.

Old
06-13-2013, 12:10 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habster33 View Post
He barely played for us. Let him get a few games under his belt with the Habs before judging him. I agree he may not be the best D in the NHL but give him a chance at least.

We need to change the Top 6 D and stop worrying about depth players. In 2014-2015, we'll see where MB stands since we'll only have Gorges and Subban (if he gets an extension) on the payroll. We'll see if we stick with the young kids (Tinordi and Beaulieu) or if we make a trade or not. MB we'll be able to shape the D squads he'd like to have.
A voice of reason

Old
06-13-2013, 12:10 PM
JPGoHabsGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
It's Montreal, we hate everyone unless they score 40 goals. Even then, we'll still look for excuses.
usually their too 1 dimensional and provides no back checking

At first my thought process went WHY GOD WHY

but i guess it can work out, now that he will have more time to get accustomed to the team. That second year could be a problem if he has a bad year this upcoming year.

JPGoHabsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 12:11 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Pretty funny folks over here are happy about this signing.

If anything, it indicates that management thinks his play over the stretch was worth a two-year extension which is very, very precarious considering that they also thought Desharnais merited an extension after his dry season opening and also Bouillon after playing a handful of good games next to Subban.

Really close-sighted move, I find.

In Philly you have Paul Holmgren acquiring legit top d-man Mark Streit for a low pick and here we're extending a player who couldn't break through the top6 even with a few rookies and injuries in tow. His play over the stretch was brutal, absolutely brutal. His timing and positioning, basically the fundamentals of a d-man, were really bad. Now some could argue that it was because he wasn't used to our system, he was rusty, etc. But how in the world does he get an extension when he's yet another non-physical, non-talented warm body?

Can't we acquire a checker-type for once?

Bergevin's grade post-Cole trade has been trending sharply downward - he's showing shades of Gainey/Gauthier with his small-minded, limited moves. Extending Bouillon and Drewiskie with the soft-as-butter d-corps we already have?? ffs.
First, the Habs brass obviously like him a lot. When they aquired him, they said they did their homework on the guy and know what he can bring to the team. His play was not great with us...but they still know he can be a cheap 7th D. They will not ask him to run a powerplay and be a top D. And if he's bad, send him to the AHL...it won't cost a lot.

Second, yeah the Flyers traded for Streit, but they need someone like him. They need a PP quarterback. We don't.

Bergevin signed a cheap 7th D...nothing less and nothing more. We don't want a young player like Beaulieu riding the bench...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 12:14 PM
le_sean

OMG end of the werld. 630K on a playa. Rediculous. Fire Bergeron. Drewisky sux. Depth is 4 oceans and lakes.

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 12:14 PM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I guess I haven't really seen enough of this guy to form an opinion.

I will say this. Better to have a longer look on the cheap then see him hook-on somewhere else and thrive.

I remember when we acquired Gorges - after not playing/dressing much in his short stint after the trade deadline - people did not see much there (Now Gorges is coming off a sub-par year but he has been good by and large).

In any event who knows and for 650k we may as well find out.

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 12:15 PM
Dean Ambrose
#BESTFORBUSINESS

vCash: 233
People are acting like he's going to play every game. When Emelin returns, Drewiske will go to the press box or even the AHL. He'll play 25-35 games this season, tops. So yes, to those saying Drewiske isn't depth, that's exactly what he is. It's not the BEST depth, but it's depth and every team needs depth. For 637K, I don't see why we're making such a big deal about it.

Maybe a one year deal would have been better, but whatever. No reason to ***** and moan and lose sleep over this signing.

Dean Ambrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 12:15 PM
Runner77

6 pages on a press box guy, lol. We sure love our Habs.

Am all for the signing at the cost and given the role he's going to play.

To think that he was free to go anywhere he wanted -- could have even gone back to LA and be an 8th defenseman, enjoy the beach, sunshine ...

Runner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 12:16 PM
RyanBostonRedsox

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
Decent signing, he is basically going to replace Weber's role on the team, which he is better suited for, he can play both LD and RD, ppl say he is a great teammate, and has been in that role before.

IMO if Emelin was healthy, Drewiski and Bouillon would be our 7-8th d-men, which is perfectly fine with me.
He also has cup experience. He didn't play much, if at all during those playoffs, but he has the experience of playing in the Stanley Cup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Now just make a trade for Weber for a 4th.
Honestly, I'd take a 5th, or a 6th. I know Bergevin was asking for a 2nd rounder for him at the deadline, which I think is insane, but hey, it won't hurt to try, right? I'll just be a little agitated if we get rid of him without a return. I'm sure there's a team who would take a chance on him, even it is a 4th or 5th round pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
First, the Habs brass obviously like him a lot. When they aquired him, they said they did their homework on the guy and know what he can bring to the team. His play was not great with us...but they still know he can be a cheap 7th D. They will not ask him to run a powerplay and be a top D. And if he's bad, send him to the AHL...it won't cost a lot.

Second, yeah the Flyers traded for Streit, but they need someone like him. They need a PP quarterback. We don't.

Bergevin signed a cheap 7th D...nothing less and nothing more. We don't want a young player like Beaulieu riding the bench...
I believe Bergevin liked watching him when he was with the Chicago organization, as CHI played LA a lot.

RyanBostonRedsox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 12:18 PM
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?

Send a message via Skype™ to dmanfish90
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFC View Post
Not that I have a problem with the signing but why are we locking up 7th defenceman depth when we haven't even fixed our 5th and 6th defenceman depth?

Too many of the I can go through the game without making mistakes type of players and not enough identity in my opinion.
Who needs 5th and 6th defenseman when Subban should be playing 27+ Suter minutes per game, a buttload at ES, some on the PP, and a **** ton on the PK

dmanfish90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 12:19 PM
brian70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jee View Post
Yes, yes he is.

That is exactly what depth is. Some teams will have better depths, though.
No, it isn't. Depth is having a 5th/6th defenseman who'd be good enough to play on the 2nd pair on most teams; or a 7th or 8th good enough for 3rd pair duties. Depth is having a 3rd liner who could play top 6 on most teams. Drewiske is an insurance policy in case of injuries, seen as a better option (or more options) for your GM than calling up a youngster.

brian70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 12:20 PM
couris

Hopefully they dont think Drewiske can do a patch job while Emelin is out.

couris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 12:31 PM
Tusk

So people have been reading into this signing as it being more than an AHL/ injury call up contract? He's getting a one way to be a good soldier, it's pretty simple.

Tusk is offline   Reply With Quote