HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 11.0

Closed Thread

Old
06-13-2013, 12:05 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Chucky breakout year

vCash: 626
Burakowsky profile: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/junio...re-burakowsky/

Old
06-13-2013, 12:07 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Well, Saad played a bit on the Blackhawks PK this year (51 seconds per game on average). They also had him on the Toews-Hossa line most of the season, which is their power on power line.

I don't think Rychel will be doing that as a 20 year old in the NHL. Maybe his defensive ability isn't a problem, but people have knocked Rychel's aversion to backchecking hard.
You can teach back-checking, though, no? I mean, you put a guy in a position to succeed like they did with Saad this year, and its not a big surprise that he got his act together. Rychel could easily be the same. I just think that we need to start drafting more physical guys who can score that are big.

Old
06-13-2013, 12:08 PM
Tyson

Poirier and Dauphin will be drafted. Educated guess. Diaby as well.

Old
06-13-2013, 12:08 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Want so hard.

Old
06-13-2013, 12:12 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Want so hard.
If both were on the board at 25, would you take him or Zykov?

Old
06-13-2013, 12:16 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
If both were on the board at 25, would you take him or Zykov?
That's a tough pick..

I want to say I'd go with Burakowsky only because I wasn't enamored with Zykov's performance against the Mooseheads.. but really only 3 players all play-offs played good against the Mooseheads; Poirier, Andrighetto and Kucherov.

That being said.. Zykov might play more the style we enjoy. I'd probably go with Burakowsky since there is no KHL risk factor.

Old
06-13-2013, 12:16 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Chucky breakout year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markowicz View Post
You can teach back-checking, though, no? I mean, you put a guy in a position to succeed like they did with Saad this year, and its not a big surprise that he got his act together. Rychel could easily be the same. I just think that we need to start drafting more physical guys who can score that are big.
Saad got his act together before landing with the Hawks this year. He was dominant in the OHL last season. More and more it seems clear his 2nd half struggles in his draft year were due to a groin injury.

(If it seems like I'm a Saad expert, I have him in a keeper league).

From OHL Expert That, in a locked thread, so I can't quote it normally:

Quote:
Rychel is a goalscorer with some sandpaper to his game. Concerns stem around consistency, hockey sense, dumb penalties, poor skating, and abysmal defensive play. There's also the fact that his production increased substantially when Khokhlachev returned to Windsor from the KHL. Not that I necessarily agree with those who say he's a product of Khokhlachev, but it's certainly a huge factor.

Old
06-13-2013, 12:21 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Saad got his act together before landing with the Hawks this year. He was dominant in the OHL last season. More and more it seems clear his 2nd half struggles in his draft year were due to a groin injury.

(If it seems like I'm a Saad expert, I have him in a keeper league).

From OHL Expert That, in a locked thread, so I can't quote it normally:
I have heard reports though that Rychel's skating has improved. And stuff like dumb penalties and even hockey sense can be improved upon. And i also have Saad in my keeper league, lol.

Old
06-13-2013, 12:24 PM
ChoseLa

Quote:
That's a tough pick..

I want to say I'd go with Burakowsky only because I wasn't enamored with Zykov's performance against the Mooseheads.. but really only 3 players all play-offs played good against the Mooseheads; Poirier, Andrighetto and Kucherov.

That being said.. Zykov might play more the style we enjoy. I'd probably go with Burakowsky since there is no KHL risk factor.
I considered Zykov to be one of the few who actualy played well against the Moosehead.

Old
06-13-2013, 12:26 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
I considered Zykov to be one of the few who actualy played well against the Moosehead.
I only remember one of his two goals in Halifax and it was a lucky bounce. Most of the time, I didn't really notice him on the ice. He was strong but I didn't see him with a lot of confidence when he had the puck. For the most part, BAC was just trying to fight, body check and intimidate.

Old
06-13-2013, 12:47 PM
kernkraft

Those "mainstream" rankings just make me sad. It takes me away from my perfect world of Button's rankings where we would be able to draft:

25th - Rasmus Ristolainen
34th - Ian McCoshen
36th - Justin Bailey
55th - Andre Burakowsky

Old
06-13-2013, 12:49 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Want so hard.
Yeah if the Habs can interview and get a feel that he is actually leaning towards the CHL, I'd be all for them picking him.

Old
06-13-2013, 01:12 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernkraft View Post
Those "mainstream" rankings just make me sad. It takes me away from my perfect world of Button's rankings where we would be able to draft:

25th - Rasmus Ristolainen
34th - Ian McCoshen
36th - Justin Bailey
55th - Andre Burakowsky
I'd cry myself to sleep in joy.

Old
06-13-2013, 01:17 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Would love to have Grant's take on this....or anybody else....but monster for monster....Tyler Hill or Mike McCarron?
McCarron for sure and i don't even like him. Tyler Hill will be lucky to go in the top4 rounds.

Old
06-13-2013, 01:18 PM
Roulin

Does anyone know why De La Rose made Sweden's u20 team and Burakowsky didn't? Was B injured, or did they just want DLR's skillset at the bottom of the lineup?

Old
06-13-2013, 01:33 PM
yianik

Quote:
That's a tough pick..

From what I have seen of Zykov he goes to the net pretty strongly and can finish, thoughts on his skating ?

Old
06-13-2013, 01:35 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

What about Josh Morrisey at 25 ? curious to hear habs fans take on him. i think he be a hell of a pick at 25. We have him rank 17th at HP

Old
06-13-2013, 01:40 PM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Does anyone know why De La Rose made Sweden's u20 team and Burakowsky didn't? Was B injured, or did they just want DLR's skillset at the bottom of the lineup?
I dont work for Sweden but my guess would be because the offense that both bring isnt a big enough difference to make up for the defensive side.

Burakowsky is better offensively but more streaky. JDLR is good offensively while bringing grit and defensive play as well. He can play on the bottom 6 as well as the top 6. Burakowsky cant.

Old
06-13-2013, 01:48 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Quote:
Originally Posted by yianik View Post
From what I have seen of Zykov he goes to the net pretty strongly and can finish, thoughts on his skating ?
His skating was fine. It wasn't explosive by any stretch of the imagination but it will be adequate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeHP View Post
What about Josh Morrisey at 25 ? curious to hear habs fans take on him. i think he be a hell of a pick at 25. We have him rank 17th at HP
We could do worse but I feel he is too much of what is already littered through our system.

Old
06-13-2013, 01:54 PM
yianik

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyjockey View Post
Hi all,

I had some time so I compiled all of the more common mock drafts (11) that I can find (mkeens, pronman, iss, espn, Tsn button, draft guys, draft site...) and did a consensus mock using those rankings. Obviously not 100% since teams go off board but a good indication on where hockey minds that do this for a living evaluate these players. if you have any other pro mocks, I can add them to the mix.

In regards to our position at 25 and assuming a more expected draft, we would have some awesome picks to choose from.

Personally, I like what I hear about Zykov, Burakovsky and Rychel,

compiled mock draft

prospects average Rk

Nate Mackinnon 1.7
Seth Jones 1.8
Jonathan Drouin 2.5
Aleksander Barkov 4.5
Valeri Nichushkin 5.1
Elias Lindholm 6.4
Sean Monahan 7.3
Darnell Nurse 9.8
Nikita Zadorov 10.2
Max Domi 11.7
Alex Wennberg 14.5
Rasmus Ristolainen 14.5
Hunter Shinkaruk 15.0
Bo Horvat 15.1
Ryan Pulock 16.8
Josh Morrissey 18.1
Anthony Mantha 18.8
Curtis Lazar 19.5
Adam Erne 19.8
Valentin Zykov 21.4
Andre Burakovsky 22.8
Frederik Gauthier 23.5
Zach Fucale 24.0
Samuel Morin 25.0
Kerby Rychel 25.3
Madison Bowey 26.0
Robert Hagg 26.4
J.T. Compher 27.4
Nic Petan 27.5
Ryan Hartman 27.5
Morgan Klimchuk 28.0
Micro Mueller 28.1
Steve Santini 29.5
Artturi Lehkonen 29.5
Jason Dickinson 29.6
Pavel Buchnevich 29.7
Emile Poirier 29.7
Shea Theodore 29.9
Chris Bigras 30
Laurent Dauphin 30+
Jacob De La Rosa 30+
Dillon Heatheringtn 30+
Ian McCoshen 30+
Michael Mccarron 30+
Connor Hurley 30+
Jordan Subban 30+
Tommy Vannelli 30+
My picks would be Samuel Morin at 25, De La Rosa at 34 and McCoshen at 36.

Last edited by yianik: 06-13-2013 at 02:01 PM. Reason: wrong player
Old
06-13-2013, 02:12 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Chucky breakout year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Pretty sure its the last one. They felt they had enough offence with Forsberg, Collberg, Lindholm, Wennberg, Karlsson, Rackel, Arvidsson, Rask, etc.

Old
06-13-2013, 02:15 PM
phillytennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markowicz View Post
Just ben doing a lot of reading up on our potential picks this coming draft and i'm a little confused about the Kerby Rychel hate. Can someone explain what the biggest knock on this guy is? All indicators are that he's big, has good work ethic, and scores goals in the tough-to-get-to areas of the ice.

Is he super slow or something?
I don't mind him. I prefer him at 34. I would like to think someone will slip to us at position 25...Erne, Morissey, Mantha...you get the point.

Old
06-13-2013, 02:53 PM
Gunners CH

Could someone give me a bit of a comparison between JT Compher and Ryan Hartman? They seem like quite similar players, and ranked pretty even as well.

Is Hartman just a tough/more physical player? Who would you guys prefer between the two?

Old
06-13-2013, 02:54 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillytennis View Post
I don't mind him. I prefer him at 34. I would like to think someone will slip to us at position 25...Erne, Morissey, Mantha...you get the point.
Thinking the same. As many pundits have pointed out, picks 10 through 35 are kind of a crapshoot (slight exaggeration but you get the point). No matter what we'll get good players with our first 3 picks unless we go way off board.

Besides the obvious, which is getting a big winger with skill and grit, I still think we are thin in the big physical D department. Besides Tinordi and Emelin, we really have nobody on the team or in the system (maybe Didier?). I think that they would be smart to address this early on. If Samuel Morin is still there at 25, i think its definitely worth the gamble.

Old
06-13-2013, 02:59 PM
Runner77

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonMonkey View Post
Could someone give me a bit of a comparison between JT Compher and Ryan Hartman?
Talk about Compher, just trying to get to the bottom of a comment that appears in his McKeens player profile, as to whether he has only suffered one or multiple concussions:

Quote:
will temper expectations however due to concerns about his concussion history and whether he has the physical foundation to play his game at the next level ... could use a growth spurt.
Maybe I'm misinterpreting the comment?

FC has no mention about concussion issues in Compher's profile.

Don't know about the other publications.

Closed Thread