HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade value of Andrei Markov

Old
06-12-2013, 01:46 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG View Post
The Flyers just gave up a 4th round pick and a prospect (Shane Harper) for the rights to Mark Streit, who could become a UFA in about 3 weeks.

So for those interested in perpetuating the theory that Markov has no trade value, let's let this settle it. 4th round and a prospect for a guy who was done with the Islanders and might never even play for the Flyers. Streit is a year older than Markov, finished with 27 points (to Markov's 30), had a woeful -14 plus/minus rating this year, is smaller than Markov, has never been considered a better defensive defenseman than Markov, and will likely be paid at least as much as Markov next season on a 35+ retirement contract that will stay with the team forever. And the Flyers might lose him for nothing in three weeks.

Still think no one will trade for Markov, who is a better player than Streit in absolutely every facet and actually has a contract for next season?
Great points , all of them. But I believe Markov will stay with the Habs until he retires. I am ok with that, you don't have to (and really can't) sell off all your players at a whim.

In the Streit example the player indicated he wouldn't be back with the team, it makes sense to get as much as you can. Of course I would be ecstatic if that could be done for Ryder at this point.

But not Markov, he's here to stay.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 02:15 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
The Flyers just gave up a 4th round pick and a prospect (Shane Harper) for the rights to Mark Streit, who could become a UFA in about 3 weeks.

So for those interested in perpetuating the theory that Markov has no trade value, let's let this settle it. 4th round and a prospect for a guy who was done with the Islanders and might never even play for the Flyers. Streit is a year older than Markov, finished with 27 points (to Markov's 30), had a woeful -14 plus/minus rating this year, is smaller than Markov, has never been considered a better defensive defenseman than Markov, and will likely be paid at least as much as Markov next season on a 35+ retirement contract that will stay with the team forever. And the Flyers might lose him for nothing in three weeks.

Still think no one will trade for Markov, who is a better player than Streit in absolutely every facet and actually has a contract for next season?
Plus Streit is looking for similar money to what Markov is getting, he rejected 3 years at 14.25 mil from NYI.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 03:44 PM
habsfanatics

Quote:

Excellent post, but I wouldn't use the actions of a lunatic in philly and apply it to the rest of the league, markov has some value, but holmgren is terrible.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 03:47 PM
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?

Send a message via Skype™ to dmanfish90
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
Excellent post, but I wouldn't use the actions of a lunatic in philly and apply it to the rest of the league, markov has some value, but holmgren is terrible.
The guy lost his best defenseman to injury for years, he's desperate. Obviously however he think that his Defense needs to improve...

Buyout Bryzgalov, sign Mike Smith. Solves PHI's problems. Mike Smith is more consistent than Bryz.

dmanfish90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 05:02 PM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanfish90 View Post
The guy lost his best defenseman to injury for years, he's desperate. Obviously however he think that his Defense needs to improve...

Buyout Bryzgalov, sign Mike Smith. Solves PHI's problems. Mike Smith is more consistent than Bryz.
Philly's problems are a lot deeper than in net. Bryz wasn't the problem, their porous d was.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 05:23 PM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:

Assuming Smith signs with Philly.

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 08:45 AM
btallett

I really hope we trade Markov , and I believe if we do we will get more then what people think that's for sure. I hope we move him at the draft and move on with building our future Stanley Cup winning team ! Subban and Diaz on our #1 PP until Beaulieu makes the jump in the next 2 seasons , then Subban and Beaulieu and i cant wait!!

btallett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 08:51 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
Philly's problems are a lot deeper than in net. Bryz wasn't the problem, their porous d was.
I agree here. Bryz is a good goalie and perhaps overpayed but that's beside the point. Philly's Dcore is not that great and like all teams, makes it hard on a goalie.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 08:56 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

What if Smith is just like Bryz?

Bryzgalov was excellent in the desert with no pressure, then going into phillie with the weight of great expectations. Smith wasn't exactly a huge success in TB when they expected him to solve their goaltending issues, who's to say he won't flop in Phillie?

Old
06-13-2013, 09:12 AM
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post

Bryzgalov was excellent in the desert with no pressure, then going into phillie with the weight of great expectations. Smith wasn't exactly a huge success in TB when they expected him to solve their goaltending issues, who's to say he won't flop in Phillie?
You're right. However this time you don't sign him to a 7/8? year deal. You can sign Smith to a 3-4 year deal (preferably 3 or less) at 5 million per year. If he can't handle the pressure, you can easily trade him away, to a less demanding market nonetheless (Florida, Tampa maybe, Phoenix again, etc.)

Old
06-13-2013, 09:19 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
You're right. However this time you don't sign him to a 7/8? year deal. You can sign Smith to a 3-4 year deal (preferably 3 or less) at 5 million per year. If he can't handle the pressure, you can easily trade him away, to a less demanding market nonetheless (Florida, Tampa maybe, Phoenix again, etc.)
The problem with your plan is, if Smith is a UFA and has 4-5 teams after him he can demand either big money(6.5 x 4 years) or big term(7 years at 5.5-5.75/year). UFA is a free market where supply and demand meet, not a super market where the price is the price and you buy what you want.

Old
06-13-2013, 10:06 AM
AmeriHab

Just curious, what would the trade value of Markov give us in moving up in the draft. Not our first but maybe Markov plus the 34+36 pick?

AmeriHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 11:48 AM
Stripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeriHab View Post
Just curious, what would the trade value of Markov give us in moving up in the draft. Not our first but maybe Markov plus the 34+36 pick?
Markov alone should be able to get us a first round pick. In what position? Would depend on how badly a team would need him.

Stripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 12:12 PM
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?

Quote:
The problem with your plan is, if Smith is a UFA and has 4-5 teams after him he can demand either big money(6.5 x 4 years) or big term(7 years at 5.5-5.75/year). UFA is a free market where supply and demand meet, not a super market where the price is the price and you buy what you want.
Which 4-5 teams are after a goalie?

And that is the truth. And it's quite annoying.

Old
06-13-2013, 12:20 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Which 4-5 teams are after a goalie?

And that is the truth. And it's quite annoying.
Hard to establish right now as some moving parts are involved, Pittsburgh, Phillie, Phoenix, Buffalo, Calgary, Edmonton, Minnesota, NY Islanders are all possibilities depending on what moves they make.

Old
06-13-2013, 12:31 PM
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?

Quote:
Hard to establish right now as some moving parts are involved, Pittsburgh, Phillie, Phoenix, Buffalo, Calgary, Edmonton, Minnesota, NY Islanders are all possibilities depending on what moves they make.
The bolded aren't going to move their goalies. Sad with Pittsburgh because they still think they have a great goalie in Pittsburgh (ahhh yeah right). Buffalo with Miller have a few years left before Enroth will take over. Edmonton's Dubnyk played well past couple years, he just needs a better team defensively in front of him and he'll be fine.

Old
06-13-2013, 12:36 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
The bolded aren't going to move their goalies. Sad with Pittsburgh because they still think they have a great goalie in Pittsburgh (ahhh yeah right). Buffalo with Miller have a few years left before Enroth will take over. Edmonton's Dubnyk played well past couple years, he just needs a better team defensively in front of him and he'll be fine.
Fleury might be traded or bought out. Miller is on the trading block. Edmonton is not 100% sold on Dubnik and MacT wants to start winning now.

Old
06-13-2013, 12:43 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:

If you think Bryz is the problem in Philly I really have no hopes for you.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 12:51 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeriHab View Post
I'd want Ouellet + Detroit's 1st for Markov + 36th overall.

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 01:23 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
If you think Bryz is the problem in Philly I really have no hopes for you.
They have more than one problem. He is on his way out though, can't handle the pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
I'd want Ouellet + Detroit's 1st for Markov + 36th overall.
I'm not a big fan of Ouellet, good junior player but neither big nor fast enough to be a top d-man. Not a good fit with all the young guys we have.

Old
06-13-2013, 01:29 PM
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?

Quote:
Fleury might be traded or bought out. Miller is on the trading block. Edmonton is not 100% sold on Dubnik and MacT wants to start winning now.
Didn't Shero or Bylsma say that Fleury is the franchise goaltender and will be back next season.

Miller is on the block. I forgot that.

Tell MacT to improve his defense first. Then if he can upgrade in Dubnyk. Dubby's come a long way, but he has played well past couple seasons, not to mention last year at the WHC.

Old
06-13-2013, 01:36 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Didn't Shero or Bylsma say that Fleury is the franchise goaltender and will be back next season.

Miller is on the block. I forgot that.

Tell MacT to improve his defense first. Then if he can upgrade in Dubnyk. Dubby's come a long way, but he has played well past couple seasons, not to mention last year at the WHC.
You have to take those comments with a grain(or truckload) of salt, had they said otherwise it would have whipped the media into a frenzy. I'd be shocked if he is still there in October.

If Edmonton can get a high end goalie they can trade Dubnyk. He's pretty average.

Old
06-13-2013, 01:39 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Question to ppl saying to trade Markov, who is going to be QB our PP?

Subban isn't a pp QB, Diaz isnt that good at it, only guy in the system that might be able to do it is Bealieau and he needs to at least start the year off in the AHL.

Last edited by habs03: 06-13-2013 at 01:48 PM.
habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 01:54 PM
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?

Quote:
You have to take those comments with a grain(or truckload) of salt, had they said otherwise it would have whipped the media into a frenzy. I'd be shocked if he is still there in October.

If Edmonton can get a high end goalie they can trade Dubnyk. He's pretty average.
You might be right, or you might be wrong. Fleury won them a SC before as the #1 goalie, so he's having some off years. I don't think he'll be moved necessarily, but I wouldn't be shocked if he was.

Like I said before, Edmonton should improve their defense first. And he's not that average...

On an 11th placed team, he finished with a 2.57 GAA (this stats indicate what I already know about Edmonton, their terrible defense) and a .921 save % (a more indicate stat showing that his stats are above average, and could be better with a better defensive core limiting more shots on net...

Old
06-13-2013, 03:05 PM
AmeriHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
Question to ppl saying to trade Markov, who is going to be QB our PP?

Subban isn't a pp QB, Diaz isnt that good at it, only guy in the system that might be able to do it is Bealieau and he needs to at least start the year off in the AHL.
I agree that Markov is our PP QB right now, but Diaz did ok and the PP started to stall a little once Markov got fatigued at the end of the year if I remember right. Markov is probably more of a deadline trade guy, but with the hype of the draft, it makes it difficult to not want to continue the youth movement. I want a good return on him while there may be one. He's a great player, no taking that away from him, but were not in contention coming up again and I'd rather no more 1st round PO exits...

AmeriHab is offline   Reply With Quote