HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Subban and that bridge contract..(what to expect with his next extension)

View Poll Results: Bridge contract
Bridge contract was a smart deal. It was a good move for both parties 107 54.04%
Should have signed him long term (likely cheaper) when we had the chance. Bit of a blunder by MB. 91 45.96%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-13-2013, 01:08 AM
hockeyfan2k11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHwest View Post
I don't believe PK will win the Norris, I just don't see it, if he does it's because he didn't get a full season look. You guys are severely over rating where he is at, every shift is an adventure and I am at the edge of my seat but not in a good way. Yes he makes some fantastic plays but also makes some bone headed plays as well. I have no doubt he will turn into a very special player but right now he is just making special plays. When I think of Norris I think of Brad Park, Larry in his prime or especially Denis Potvin, all calm and cool, no mistakes. PK is not there yet, plus he is still a restricted so his next contract will still be reasonable, if not his return could be very good, but I wouldn't trade him unless he was impossible to deal with.
Who are you watching?

There isn't a single dman on this earth who has never made a mistake. Give me a break.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 01:30 AM
CHwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Who are you watching?

There isn't a single dman on this earth who has never made a mistake. Give me a break.
That is correct, it's the amount of mistakes and risks taken. Big risk big reward, right, not on a championship team. Did you watch the game tonight, against a good team, mistakes kill. And don't take it personally, I have no doubt PK will be an elite talent, I just don't think he's there yet.

CHwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 06:32 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
I know it might happen to everyone who's about to sign a new contract with their actual team, just like it happened a thousand times before...
Do they happen or not? Why are you even arguing about this, geez man save face and drop it.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 06:37 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
Or he can go play in the KHL for 2 years but they won't accept him because he's an American.

These bridge deals for your best players are just plain dumb. I can't believe you guys sometimes, your star players have always had the upper hand in negotiations, certainly since they expanded from the Original 6. Drafting a guy 3rd overall and then treating him like second rate trash is just silly, it's not going to fly in the real world.
Don't get me wrong, I'm against giving out bridge deals to players that have exceptional talent and have proven enough. Just saying they have very little power in negotiations.

Old
06-13-2013, 07:48 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Do they happen or not? Why are you even arguing about this, geez man save face and drop it.
get over yourself, two or three times in a league that is 100 years old and saw thousands of individuals take part in it is hardly happening.

No need to make a big fuss about all this, your life doesnt depend on you being right or wrong on the matter.

Besides, you're wrong.

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 08:59 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
get over yourself, two or three times in a league that is 100 years old and saw thousands of individuals take part in it is hardly happening.

No need to make a big fuss about all this, your life doesnt depend on you being right or wrong on the matter.

Besides, you're wrong.
How am I wrong? You just admitted it yourself that it has happened.
You really like making yourself look bad.

Just at the top of my 4h of sleep head, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, Chara, heck even Markov, Malkin, Crosby, all signed at discounted prices compared to what they were likely going to get on the open market. There's many more others as well, it isn't as uncommon as you think. Stop making it too easy for me.

Old
06-13-2013, 09:39 AM
groovejuice

Quote:

Just at the top of my 4h of sleep head, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, Chara, heck even Markov, Malkin, Crosby, all signed at discounted prices compared to what they were likely going to get on the open market. There's many more others as well, it isn't as uncommon as you think. Stop making it too easy for me.
Could take Malkin off the list now. Just signed for 8 years at $9.5M per.

groovejuice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 09:45 AM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

The bridge contract was a good idea IMO, he's a good player, but not to the point where management will make exceptions for him and he knows it now.

As for the next contract, well good for him, he deserves it.

ZARTONK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 10:08 AM
Jakomyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZARTONK View Post
The bridge contract was a good idea IMO, he's a good player, but not to the point where management will make exceptions for him and he knows it now.

As for the next contract, well good for him, he deserves it.
Exactly. Bergevin said outright that if he plays great and proves to be a top defenseman in the league, that he would be happy to give Subban what he deserved for his next contract.

More importantly, this sends the continued message to other young players that you won't be getting massive $$$ or term after your ELC, something that will be a huge benefit to the team long term.

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 10:39 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejuice View Post
Could take Malkin off the list now. Just signed for 8 years at $9.5M per.
Doesn't change the fact he signed at a discounted price on his previous deal.

Old
06-13-2013, 10:43 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakomyte View Post
Exactly. Bergevin said outright that if he plays great and proves to be a top defenseman in the league, that he would be happy to give Subban what he deserved for his next contract.

More importantly, this sends the continued message to other young players that you won't be getting massive $$$ or term after your ELC, something that will be a huge benefit to the team long term.
The problem is more about Bergevin's analysis. If MB couldn't see just how special PK was, or that he's pretty much a sure fire player, then you have to wonder just how good he is at assessing players.

Old
06-13-2013, 11:01 AM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

Quote:
The problem is more about Bergevin's analysis. If MB couldn't see just how special PK was, or that he's pretty much a sure fire player, then you have to wonder just how good he is at assessing players.
What makes you say that MB couldn't see how special PK was? He signed him for two years at an AAV of less than 3M$ with Subban still an RFA at the end of the deal and we're saying he did a bad thing?

ZARTONK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 11:04 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
As an outsider to the organization getting information second hand and through media he would have definitely been picking up on the halo effect appearing around Price, and smoke clouds hovering over PK. it would not surprise me if he took the biases of other people into contract talks.

But as that song goes, Bergie "how you like me now?". Besides the outcome was good, he's got a player playing well and he'll have control of him for years to come.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 11:27 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakomyte View Post

Every kid coming out of an ELC needs to know that this is how the Habs operate...agreed, it will be a benefit down the line...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 11:47 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZARTONK View Post
What makes you say that MB couldn't see how special PK was? He signed him for two years at an AAV of less than 3M$ with Subban still an RFA at the end of the deal and we're saying he did a bad thing?
Because he said he needed to see some things from PK and forced a low ball deal, to the point where he willingly made PK sit out for it. That tells me he wasn't convinced on signing PK long term, Habs were clear on not wanting a long term deal inked.

Saying its a bad thing is a stretch. At the end, PK will still be a Habs. Just that many here were sold on PK enough to get him signed cheaper long term right away. Now he'll be more expensive. It's not the end of the world, but we likely would have saved cash long term.

Old
06-13-2013, 11:53 AM
Sorinth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
How many offer sheets do you see each year? The players, agents, GM's all know it's not a very productive way to chase talent.
To be fair you only see the ones that get accepted. It was rumored Philly gave Subban an offer sheet and he just didn't sign it. At the end of the day all it takes is 1 GM to be desperate or out of options.

Sorinth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 12:00 PM
Sorinth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Every kid coming out of an ELC needs to know that this is how the Habs operate...agreed, it will be a benefit down the line...
So are you in favour of every kid holding out as well? Because every kid who is a star player at the end of their ELC wants a long term deal and they'll holdout to try and get it.

Old
06-13-2013, 12:20 PM
groovejuice

Quote:
Doesn't change the fact he signed at a discounted price on his previous deal.
I agree. But he certainly left no money on the table this time.

groovejuice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 12:24 PM
Sorinth

Quote:
Even that's debatable, I could easily see a desperate team offer 11-12m a year.

Old
06-13-2013, 01:29 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
Even that's debatable, I could easily see a desperate team offer 11-12m a year.
Best way to avoid that, sign him to a 6-7 year extension this summer.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 01:32 PM
M.C.G. 31

vCash: 1300
The Habs definitely need to sign him before next summer and before a team can give him an offer sheet.

Give him 8 years at 6.5 - 8 million. He deserves it. He's the star of the team.

"It's going to be great. I can't wait for the crowd, the noise, the energy in the building. I can't wait to take that all away from them."
- PK Subban
M.C.G. 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 02:02 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Is it that certain?
The new CBA has changed. You can't do front loaded contracts anymore, the limit is 8 years and the difference in salary between years is limited.

Malkin's salary will be 9.5M from 1st to last year. If you want to compare, Crosby signed a 12year extension last year, if we apply the 8 year limit, his cap hit would be 12.1M, not 8.7M.
Corey Perry will be making 8.625M next year, are we really going to suggest Malkin should only be making 75K more than him? A good productive year for Perry is a pretty average one for Malkin.

That's also why we should sign any young player that's a safe bet as early as possible.

Old
06-13-2013, 02:15 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Is it that certain?
The new CBA has changed. You can't do front loaded contracts anymore, the limit is 8 years and the difference in salary between years is limited.

Malkin's salary will be 9.5M from 1st to last year. If you want to compare, Crosby signed a 12year extension last year, if we apply the 8 year limit, his cap hit would be 12.1M, not 8.7M.
Corey Perry will be making 8.625M next year, are we really going to suggest Malkin should only be making 75K more than him? A good productive year for Perry is a pretty average one for Malkin.

That's also why we should sign any young player that's a safe bet as early as possible.
I think Malkin could have made closer to 100 mil/8 years if he really wanted to tighten the screws on the Pens. As you said with those comparables he'd be around 11 mil cap hit +- 500k.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 02:59 PM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

What I want him to sign for:

8 years 6.5M per

What I think he'll sign for:

8 years 7.5M per

I don't know his marketing revenues. I know he's not Christiano Ronaldo or Sidney Crosby but he does get a little of money from that. He might settle for around 6.5-7M cuz of that.

MooseOllini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 05:21 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:

what discount Chara took ? and with wich team, with his new one at the time, Boston ? (cause you know, that's your argument, "be nice, may play for a discount later")

you know Malkin and Crosby are making close to 9 Mil right ?

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote