HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Draft and Undrafted Free Agents Talk

Closed Thread

Old
06-12-2013, 09:45 PM
bmoak

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post
I remember when Don Maloney fell in love with Lauri Korpikoski at the combine and the ensuring interview.

Of all Maloney's misses in the NYR drafts, he got the right Finn of that trio.

Tukonen - 10th
Nokelainen - 16th
Korpikoski (traded up) - 19th

Not for the weak of stomach: 2004 'Rebuilding' Draft:
1st - Montoya
1st - Korpikoski
2nd - Darin Olver
2nd - Dane Byers
2nd - Bruce Graham
2nd - Brandon Dubinsky (thank god)
3rd - Zdenek Bahensky
3rd - Billy Ryan
4th - Ryan Callahan

Historically, getting Dubinsky and Callahan is a net win for drafting, but with so many kicks at the can in the first 3 rounds, sad to see what became of it.
People thought Maloney was talking out of his rear end when he said that Korpedo would be the best of the Finnish trio. I don't think anyone on this board liked him as a pick, and there were snarky comments for years about how the Rangers should have drafted Wolski.

Like 1999, the Rangers had the misfortune of loading up picks in what turned out to be a weak draft year beyond Ovechkin and Malkin. The only teams in 2004 that really drafted better than the Rangers are the Caps and the Hawks, and they had even more and better picks.

Old
06-12-2013, 09:54 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoak View Post
People thought Maloney was talking out of his rear end when he said that Korpedo would be the best of the Finnish trio. I don't think anyone on this board liked him as a pick, and there were snarky comments for years about how the Rangers should have drafted Wolski.

Like 1999, the Rangers had the misfortune of loading up picks in what turned out to be a weak draft year beyond Ovechkin and Malkin. The only teams in 2004 that really drafted better than the Rangers are the Caps and the Hawks, and they had even more and better picks.
Maloney and Renney were OK at drafting, not great. That's evident from those drafts they ran.

Clark and Gordon have done a better job. At this point in time it's either considered very good or just good. The bar has been set higher now.

They CAN find NHL talent when 5-6 years ago it was a success just to find some.

Now it's about finding impact NHL talent.

Time will tell if their drafting is ultimately good or very good based on this next generation which also includes Skeji, Nieves, and Anderson.

Old
06-13-2013, 01:14 AM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
Maloney and Renney were OK at drafting, not great. That's evident from those drafts they ran.

Clark and Gordon have done a better job. At this point in time it's either considered very good or just good. The bar has been set higher now.

Time will tell if their drafting is ultimately good or very good based on this next generation which also includes Skeji, Nieves, and Anderson.
I agree.
The drafting has improved markedly since 2008.

Old
06-13-2013, 08:39 AM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Maloney and Renney were OK at drafting
That's very debatable.

Old
06-13-2013, 09:14 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
That's very debatable.
If 2003 is being used as evidence, 'debatable' is being kind.

Old
06-13-2013, 12:36 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoak View Post
I don't think anyone on this board liked him as a pick, and there were snarky comments for years about how the Rangers should have drafted Wolski.
That's not true, I was a big fan of LK, and I know I wasn't the only one. Plus there was more talk about Kris Chucko than Wolski. LK was a way better pick than Chucko.

Quote:

Still up for debate. I mean, it's not hard to best the guy that wanted Jessiman in '03. But Clark/Gorton report card is not even complete yet, still way too many guys who have not proven anything yet, high picks too.

Old
06-13-2013, 01:56 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Yeah, Clarke and Gorton have done a good job of stocking the pond, but you still have to fish a few keepers out of that pond when all is said and done.

2008 looks like a solid draft, even though we lost two NHLers from it after the fact. The rest of the players are really just a big pile of potential at this point. Until those players start making a bigger impact in the NHL, or any impact for that matter, Clark and Gorton will get an "incomplete" from me.

Old
06-13-2013, 03:04 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Yeah, Clarke and Gorton have done a good job of stocking the pond, but you still have to fish a few keepers out of that pond when all is said and done.

2008 looks like a solid draft, even though we lost two NHLers from it after the fact. The rest of the players are really just a big pile of potential at this point. Until those players start making a bigger impact in the NHL, or any impact for that matter, Clark and Gorton will get an "incomplete" from me.
I'm not even talking about guys that become all stars, we can't even say the guys we've drafted lately are helping supply the big club with inexpensive youth who can play a shift in case of injuries or to push the underachievers.

Old
06-13-2013, 03:07 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I'm not even talking about guys that become all stars, we can't even say the guys we've drafted lately are helping supply the big club with inexpensive youth who can play a shift in case of injuries or to push the underachievers.
There was a gap last year of players who were ready to play. We are through that. This year, there seem to be more than a few players who could fill in quite easily for stretches.

The Cheraponov draft laid a big fat egg in the system as they pretty much got no one from there.

Old
06-13-2013, 03:31 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
There was a gap last year of players who were ready to play. We are through that. This year, there seem to be more than a few players who could fill in quite easily for stretches.

The Cheraponov draft laid a big fat egg in the system as they pretty much got no one from there.
Who's gonna 'fill in quite easily' ? For stretches? Unproven players like Miller and Kreider ? Rookies like MCI who have one Pro season under their belts?

Which draftee do you feel very confidently could just slip into the lineup giving us depth?

It's time to forget Cherapanov. He was a great looking prospect, but he was one guy.

LA, Boston, Chicago have all had multiple busts in round 1 the last 5 to 7 years, don't hear them crying about it all these years later.

Last edited by Bluenote13: 06-13-2013 at 03:37 PM.
Old
06-13-2013, 03:32 PM
Joey Bones

http://norran.se/2013/06/skellefteaa...-nhl-kontrakt/

Joacim Eriksson talking to clubs!!

Old
06-13-2013, 03:33 PM
Joey Bones

Thoughts on this guy?

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...ftee-in-family

Old
06-13-2013, 03:33 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Who's gonna 'fill in quite easily' ? For stretches? Unproven players like Miller and Kreider ? Rookies like MCI who have one Pro season under their belts?

Which draftee do you feel very confidently could just slip into the lineup giving us depth?
I think Miller, Kreider, Thomas, Hrivik, Fast, Lindberg up front could fill in if they don't make the team. Will they all play great? No. Will there most likely be a couple who can step in if their are injuries? Yes. Last year, without Kreider taking that step, they had nothing.

I do feel confident McIlrath could step in to play some games if need be. Outside of him on defense though, they are lacking, which is a bit scary.

Although in all honesty, I don't know a ton about the undrafted UFA's they signed this year.

Old
06-13-2013, 03:35 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Bones View Post
Has to be a major priority for this organization.

Old
06-13-2013, 03:44 PM
Joey Bones

Quote:
Has to be a major priority for this organization.
Agreed completely.

Quote:
I think Miller, Kreider, Thomas, Hrivik, Fast, Lindberg up front could fill in if they don't make the team. Will they all play great? No. Will there most likely be a couple who can step in if their are injuries? Yes. Last year, without Kreider taking that step, they had nothing.

I do feel confident McIlrath could step in to play some games if need be. Outside of him on defense though, they are lacking, which is a bit scary.

Although in all honesty, I don't know a ton about the undrafted UFA's they signed this year.
Lindberg I think will come in handy, IMO. What about Bourque? Even though he's had injury problems, I think he could be added to that group of potential candidates for depth players.

Old
06-13-2013, 03:45 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:

I can confidently say that Lindberg can start with the club, but that's not a definite, its opinion. And we didn't draft him.

I have serious doubts about the rest, mainly because they are young, inexperienced and still need to prove they can handle the AHL with some regularity. At least with Oscar you know he played in a Pro league and excelled.

Old
06-13-2013, 03:49 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

lets be honest.

top to bottom, we lack overall skill in this organization.

we have no high end forwards beyond ck and thats still up for debate. we are "power forward read 3rd liner" heavy.

we have no high end offensive dmen. we are "2 way dmen read offensively challenged" heavy

we lack skill. we drafted mcilrath over tarasenko. enuf said there.

we do like swedes it seems

put me solidly in the so-so column with our recent draft history. i see lots of missed opportunities to get more skilled and lots of "safe" picks for 3rd line forward types and 2 way north american dmen.

Old
06-13-2013, 03:52 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
I can confidently say that Lindberg can start with the club, but that's not a definite, its opinion. And we didn't draft him.

I have serious doubts about the rest, mainly because they are young, inexperienced and still need to prove they can handle the AHL with some regularity. At least with Oscar you know he played in a Pro league and excelled.
I think what I meant was that last year was a lull in players being ready. They had players who were too young and not ready to take that next step but they have good young players.

Old
06-13-2013, 04:12 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
put me solidly in the so-so column with our recent draft history. i see lots of missed opportunities to get more skilled and lots of "safe" picks for 3rd line forward types and 2 way north american dmen.
Please list for us the "safe" players that we drafted who were considered safe picks at the time of the draft.

I can think of one: Miller. You can make an argument for Sjkei, but I think he was looked at as having the ability to play in the NHL in some capacity but with really nice upside (so semi-safe). What other picks have we made that were "safe" picks?

Old
06-13-2013, 04:35 PM
nsvoyageurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
lets be honest.

top to bottom, we lack overall skill in this organization.

we have no high end forwards beyond ck and thats still up for debate. we are "power forward read 3rd liner" heavy.

we have no high end offensive dmen. we are "2 way dmen read offensively challenged" heavy

we lack skill. we drafted mcilrath over tarasenko. enuf said there.

we do like swedes it seems

I agree with this 100%.

Old
06-15-2013, 02:48 PM
Joey Bones

http://www.expressen.se/sport/hockey...s-med-canucks/

Well absolute *****************!!!!!!!!!

Old
06-15-2013, 02:49 PM
GrindNMuck

Any rumors of the Rangers picking up some undrafted free agents, out of CHL, Or NCAA

Old
06-15-2013, 03:12 PM
Joey Bones

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8474754

Here's NHL's profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrindNMuck View Post
Any rumors of the Rangers picking up some undrafted free agents, out of CHL, Or NCAA
To be honest, I think they are done finding players until after the draft. During FA frenzy they could pick up one or two based on who they'll sign and how many contract slots are still up for grabs. Since Eriksson is gone off the market, they seriously need a goaltender, but there are plenty of those available in NJ in a few weeks from now.

Old
06-15-2013, 04:59 PM
BlessThisMess513

How do you think the hiring of Vigneault will change their approach to the draft, if at all?

Old
06-15-2013, 05:49 PM
LetterJ

The games that I watched the Knights, I thought Remi Elie showed glimpses of being an NHL legitimate power forward:

http://thehockeyhouse.net/nhl/2013-n...iew-remi-elie/

Quote:
Overview:

Remi Elie is a 6í1, 203lb Canadian left-winger who plays for the London Knights of the Ontario Hockey League. Born in Green Valley, Ontario, Elie played for the Eastern Ontario Wild of the Ontario East Minor Midget Hockey League (OEMMHL) and he totaled 39 points (15-24) in just 29 games. Elie also played for the Eastern Ontario Wildís Minor team where he had 3 points (1-2) in as many games. Elie was taken in the 5th round (91st overall) in the 2011 OHL Priority Selection by the London Knights. However, Elie was also the 1st overall selection by the Hawkesbury Hawks in the Central Canada Hockey League (CCHL) draft. Elie decided to play for Hawkesbury that year. In 59 games for the Hawks, Elie posted a solid 46 points (21-25) as well as 9 points (5-4) in as many games for the Hawks in the playoffs. This past season, Elie moved onto the OHL to play for the Knights. In 65 games for London, Elie had just 17 points (7-10) and in the playoffs, Elie had 8 points (4-4) in 21 games which saw the Knights win the OHL Championship and a berth in the Memorial Cup.

Pros:

Elie is a plus skater with a strong stride. Unlike two of the other players Iíve covered so far (Jordan Subban and Nicolas Petan), Elie has good size for a junior player and should be able to transition well into the NHL, if he gets there. Elie is a physical, emotional player who plays with an edge. He also has some good offensive tools like his above-average passing, as well as a solid shot. Elie shows good confidence when controlling the puck.

Cons:

Despite his solid tools on offense, I havenít seen the production from Elie that I would have liked. That may come from his lower minute totals with London, so next year Elie should get more minutes being a second year player and having the Junior A experience. While Elie shows good passion on the ice, he sometimes gets tired from playing too hard, too fast which causes him to tire throughout the course of the game. Elie must also get better defensively if he wants to make it in the NHL.

Draft Round Projection:

Remi Elie is a rather unheralded prospect and his low production could see him falling as far as the 7th round. However, teams could see he has good developmental value and take him in the 5th round.

Comparison:

If Elie can reach his potential, I could see him as a Cal Clutterbuck-type of player with more offensive upside.

NHL Projection:

I could see Remi Elie being a solid second line power forward if he can expand on his offensive game, but he could just as easily become a physical fourth line energy guy. However, he may not be much more than a career AHL journeyman if he doesnít develop well.
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/remi-elie/:

Quote:
History

2010-11: Remi Elie played for the Eastern Ontario Wild midget program in Ottawa. In 34 games for the midget major team, including five playoff games, he scored 18 goals with 27 assists and had 49 penalty minutes. He also skated for the midget minor team. Elie was the first overall selection in the 2011 CJHL Draft, by Hawkesbury, and was selected by London in the fifth round (91st overall) of the 2011 OHL Priority Draft.

2011-12: Elie was the second-leading scorer for the Junior A Hawkesbury Hawks as a 16-year-old behind Stephen Hrehoriak. He scored 21 goals with 25 assists in 59 games and had 39 penalty minutes. The Hawks finished fifth in the 12-team CJHL and reached the second round in the playoffs. Elie was Hawkesbury's leading scorer in the playoffs with 5 goals and 4 assists in nine games. In April he signed a contract to play for the London Knights in 2012-13.

2012-13: Elie played in 65 OHL games for London in his first season and participated in the Memorial Cup after the Knights captured the OHL playoff championship. Elie scored 7 goals with 10 assists and was +7 with 34 penalty minutes during the regular season. The Knights won 50 of 68 games in regulation to finish with the OHL's best record and overcame a three games to one deficit in the OHL Finals against Barrie. Elie scored 4 goals with 4 assists and was +3 with 8 penalty minutes in 21 OHL playoff games. In five games at the Memorial Cup he had 1 assist and was +1 with 4 penalty minutes. Elie was ranked 71st amongst North American skaters in Central Scouting's final rankings prior to the 2013 NHL Draft.

Talent Analysis

Elie is an interesting prospect, simply because he was stuck in a numbers game for the London Knights and is projected to play a much more vital role as the years progress. Heís a solid overall player, who is not blazingly fast nor blessed with elite hands -- but heís shown a dogged pursuit of the puck and the ability to chip in offensively. Heís a grinder whoís not afraid to go into the dirty areas of the ice and projects as an energy winger at the next level.

When I watched him in the Mem Cup, I found he did not log a lot of minutes at all. Is he ready to break out with more minutes?

Closed Thread