HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Canadiens sign defenseman Davis Drewiske to a two-year contract ($637.5K AAV)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-13-2013, 02:40 PM
  #176
24get
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,285
vCash: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
UFA dman that made between 600,00 and 700,000 last year. not exactly a group of all-stars


Fortunus, Maxime
Benoit, Andre
Gilroy, Matt
Smaby, Matt
Johnson, Aaron
Drewiske, Davis
Bagnall, Drew
Mullen, Patrick
Vandermeer, Jim
Sloan, Tyler
Kostka, Mike
Collins, Sean
DeSantis, Jason
Exelby, Garnet
Pyett, Logan
Reese, Dylan
Strachan, Tyson
Gysbers, Simon
Hendry, Jordan
Yes but can they fight?

24get is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 02:41 PM
  #177
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Analyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 39,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24get View Post
Yes but can they fight?
Jim Vandermeer can.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 02:42 PM
  #178
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 28,993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusfring View Post
Which game did Thornton not play in OT? If you say last night then you obviously wasn't watching. He didn't play in the 3RD OT, but played in the others and actually had a good scoring chance.
He played under 10 minutes in a game that almost went 120 minutes, interpret it however you want.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 02:45 PM
  #179
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 28,993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Hawks
2012/2013
Bryan Bickell, Andrew Shaw, Dave Bolland, Viktor Stalberg, Marcus Kruger, Michael Frolik, Michal Handzus

2009/2010
Kris Versteeg, Tomas Kopecky, Dustin Byfuglien, Andrew Ladd, Bryan Bickell

That's serious quality in the bottom half of the lineups.

Just because it's better to have top end players doesn't mean you shouldn't bother improving the depth side. One is a lot easier to do than the other and it certainly doesn't clash with either happening.

What these teams thrive in doing is having a consistent supply of cheap quality talent to fill in when the bottom 6 outgrow their role. Right now Bergevin seems to be setting up the foundations in order to have that constant influx.

Eller Diaz Bouillon Galchenyuk Moen Prust Gallagher are pretty good "bottom 6" type players. In fact I would say this was a strength on the Habs team, 3 scoring lines and 6 d-men that can play regular.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 02:46 PM
  #180
Talks to Goalposts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,477
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24get View Post
Yes but can they fight?
Even if they aren't good at it you could probably make them.

Guys willing to take near league minimum are generally so desperate to remain in the show that you could probably force them to practice in a pink tutu and they won't complain too much. Asking them to do socially sanctioned bareknuckle boxing should be childsplay .

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 02:54 PM
  #181
StellerEller
Canada's Team
 
StellerEller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Hamilton, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,855
vCash: 100
Like this signing:
1)Cheap
2)He wasn't even that bad this year. A summer in the system, training, and learning will help him adjust.
3)I think even if he's 28 he'll improve since he'll be settled
4)His role won't be huge, I think MT was forced to try and use him once Emelin went down but he'll shine as a #6/7

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Tinordi
Drewiske-Diaz
Boullion

Hopefully we can flip Diaz or someone for a physical Dman, then when Emelin is back we'll be set. Then again if that doesn't happen (more likely), at least We'll have good depth that can try and whether the storm til Emelin is healthy.

StellerEller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 03:02 PM
  #182
HCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The Wild West
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,554
vCash: 500
According to NHL.com defensemen with the 7th amount of ice per team (approximately) played in roughly half of their teams games and over the course of a full season would play about 800 minutes. That same group average roughly 4 points during last season which would equate to about 7 points over a full season.

I can't understand all the furor that has been created by signing a guy who is supposed to fill that role. Look at the alternatives at that price level. Maybe some are available who are statistically better than Drewiske but character is also a factor that comes into consideration. MB probably feels that Drewiske will understand his role, be a good teammate and do whatever is asked of him without complaint. That is worth something and it is something that we can't measure.

Signing Drewiske now allows MB to focus on other pressing issues without worrying about rounding out the bottom end of the lineup.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 03:05 PM
  #183
StellerEller
Canada's Team
 
StellerEller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Hamilton, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,855
vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
According to NHL.com defensemen with the 7th amount of ice per team (approximately) played in roughly half of their teams games and over the course of a full season would play about 800 minutes. That same group average roughly 4 points during last season which would equate to about 7 points over a full season.

I can't understand all the furor that has been created by signing a guy who is supposed to fill that role. Look at the alternatives at that price level. Maybe some are available who are statistically better than Drewiske but character is also a factor that comes into consideration. MB probably feels that Drewiske will understand his role, be a good teammate and do whatever is asked of him without complaint. That is worth something and it is something that we can't measure.

Signing Drewiske now allows MB to focus on other pressing issues without worrying about rounding out the bottom end of the lineup.
Exactly. MB can now go and look for a feasible trading partner to flip Diaz, Gorges, etc for a need (Physical Dman, Power Forward). I think he's setting himself up for options at the draft. Hopefully we can snag Someone good.

StellerEller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 03:11 PM
  #184
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred
 
habs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,429
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StellerEller View Post
Exactly. MB can now go and look for a feasible trading partner to flip Diaz, Gorges, etc for a need (Physical Dman, Power Forward). I think he's setting himself up for options at the draft. Hopefully we can snag Someone good.
He isn't going anywhere any time soon.

Gorges was the guy that stepped in and had Gallagher stay him in, no way management is even thinking of trading him.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 03:17 PM
  #185
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,952
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
He isn't going anywhere any time soon.

Gorges was the guy that stepped in and had Gallagher stay him in, no way management is even thinking of trading him.
Are you kidding me? Did we enter into an alternate universe where Gorges is untouchable? Did I miss something?

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 03:20 PM
  #186
StellerEller
Canada's Team
 
StellerEller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Hamilton, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,855
vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
He isn't going anywhere any time soon.

Gorges was the guy that stepped in and had Gallagher stay him in, no way management is even thinking of trading him.
This is true but I think management would be open to trading him if they got the right offer, especially for the money he makes. What I was getting at was guys like Diaz or Gorges are decent trade bait but they're also assets, so I was speculating MB was setting himself up to have a win-win scenario in the trade market. Being able to walk away gives you lots of leverage.

StellerEller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 03:21 PM
  #187
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred
 
habs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,429
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Are you kidding me? Did we enter into an alternate universe where Gorges is untouchable? Did I miss something?
I don't think there is such a thing as untouchable, but it is very very very unlikely that the habs are lookig for a "feasible trading partner" for Gorges.

Bergevin basically keep talk about having character guys and he is going to ship out the only guy that stepped up and took a rookie into his home.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 03:22 PM
  #188
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban
 
Team_Spirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 19,456
vCash: 309
Meh hes not very good.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 03:25 PM
  #189
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,952
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
I don't think there is such a thing as untouchable, but it is very very very unlikely that the habs are lookig for a "feasible trading partner" for Gorges.

Bergevin basically keep talk about having character guys and he is going to ship out the only guy that stepped up and took a rookie into his home.
My feelings on Gorges are well known, I don't think you would have a lot of trading partners at his price regardless.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 03:25 PM
  #190
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred
 
habs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,429
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StellerEller View Post
This is true but I think management would be open to trading him if they got the right offer, especially for the money he makes. What I was getting at was guys like Diaz or Gorges are decent trade bait but they're also assets, so I was speculating MB was setting himself up to have a win-win scenario in the trade market. Being able to walk away gives you lots of leverage.
Diaz and a few other guys yes,

But Gorges, I just can't see him being shopped, even by watching 24CH, you can see Therrien leaning on Gorges as a leader more than anyone else, remembered a time he asked the room a question and went to Gorges first for his opinion.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 03:28 PM
  #191
StellerEller
Canada's Team
 
StellerEller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Hamilton, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,855
vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
Diaz and a few other guys yes,

But Gorges, I just can't see him being shopped, even by watching 24CH, you can see Therrien leaning on Gorges as a leader more than anyone else, remembered a time he asked the room a question and went to Gorges first for his opinion.
Well I'm not suggesting we run him out of town but I think he could be good trade bait that we can afford to give up, especially with a good return coming back. I'm not suggesting that he is being targeted to be moved specifically, he just holds expendable value

StellerEller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 03:36 PM
  #192
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod
 
overlords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 24,358
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
I don't think there is such a thing as untouchable, but it is very very very unlikely that the habs are lookig for a "feasible trading partner" for Gorges.

Bergevin basically keep talk about having character guys and he is going to ship out the only guy that stepped up and took a rookie into his home.
I really don't think that precludes you from being traded. It's a pretty minor things. It's nice of him, but minor.

__________________



"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 03:39 PM
  #193
Bieber fever
Registered User
 
Bieber fever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Westmount
Posts: 4,693
vCash: 500
people underate how hard it is to ajust to a new team , systeme , city , ect.

Bieber fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 03:40 PM
  #194
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service
 
Watsatheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,698
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Eller Diaz Bouillon Galchenyuk Moen Prust Gallagher are pretty good "bottom 6" type players. In fact I would say this was a strength on the Habs team, 3 scoring lines and 6 d-men that can play regular.
Exactly, one of the biggest reasons why the team improved over last season. Depth is an important part of a team. I like that Bergevin doesn't seem narrow his priorities to one big need and looks to build everything up step by step...however small. I'm intrigued to see how he'll fix the top 6 as much as anyone else but I think these moves are necessary as well. Unlike any of the previous few GMs, he actually re-signed a deadline depth rental which is also interesting to note.

Some people are acting as if this signing is for the top 4. Doesn't get much better in terms of a press box D. He doesn't complain and doesn't really have anything to lose (unlike Beaulieu/Tinordi) by not playing for long periods of time. Would be ridiculous to have the team's top prospects sitting that long not playing.

Proven to be a quality guy and will be prepared when time to play. He's played the role on a cup winner yet to some the Habs apparently too good for him to play the role here.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 03:43 PM
  #195
24get
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,285
vCash: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
According to NHL.com defensemen with the 7th amount of ice per team (approximately) played in roughly half of their teams games and over the course of a full season would play about 800 minutes. That same group average roughly 4 points during last season which would equate to about 7 points over a full season.

I can't understand all the furor that has been created by signing a guy who is supposed to fill that role. Look at the alternatives at that price level. Maybe some are available who are statistically better than Drewiske but character is also a factor that comes into consideration. MB probably feels that Drewiske will understand his role, be a good teammate and do whatever is asked of him without complaint. That is worth something and it is something that we can't measure.

Signing Drewiske now allows MB to focus on other pressing issues without worrying about rounding out the bottom end of the lineup.
Interesting.

Actually, those 3 points in 9 games from DD are not to be expected.
This is a pace of 27 points per 82 games. Best season for Gorges was 23 points.
So getting even 5-8 points over 42 games from Drewiske would be fabulous.
McQuaid did 4 points in 32 games this season and Boychuck did 6 points as a #5.

Habs do have a lot of offense in their d-team.

Top 6 in points ttl: 38+30+14+12+9+9=112 pts (55 esp).
Chi top-6 have: 27+20+18+12+12+10=99 points.

At best, we can expect

24get is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 03:45 PM
  #196
24get
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,285
vCash: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bieber fever View Post
people underate how hard it is to ajust to a new team , systeme , city , ect.
You can say that about Ryder, after two months, he was totally adapted to Montreal.
In playoff, he was back to his former Montreal self.

24get is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 03:51 PM
  #197
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred
 
habs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,429
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I really don't think that precludes you from being traded. It's a pretty minor things. It's nice of him, but minor.
Its just my opinion so no one has to agree with me, but I don't think its minor.

Doesn't mean his untouchable, but it would take something of an over-payment for Bergevin to trade him, and with how he has played this year, that is unlikely.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 03:54 PM
  #198
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 21,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
Diaz and a few other guys yes,

But Gorges, I just can't see him being shopped, even by watching 24CH, you can see Therrien leaning on Gorges as a leader more than anyone else, remembered a time he asked the room a question and went to Gorges first for his opinion.
So? Nobody is suggesting trading Gorges for a crappy player. Any time a trade happens (unless you're rebuilding) it's to improve your team. And when one leader goes away, another one steps up.
I'm pretty sure Cole was regarded as a leader when he was here.

As for him taking in Gallagher, so did Gonchar with Malkin, it means nothing. The team can let you go despite this.

We should definitely be looking to upgrade on Gorges.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 04:00 PM
  #199
76ftw
24
 
76ftw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,726
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I don't get it.



If we are going to compare him to last year's Gorges, isn't that setting the bar a little low?
For 650K I would take last year Gorges for sure lol

76ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 04:03 PM
  #200
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 28,993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
So? Nobody is suggesting trading Gorges for a crappy player. Any time a trade happens (unless you're rebuilding) it's to improve your team. And when one leader goes away, another one steps up.
I'm pretty sure Cole was regarded as a leader when he was here.

As for him taking in Gallagher, so did Gonchar with Malkin, it means nothing. The team can let you go despite this.

We should definitely be looking to upgrade on Gorges.
It's not nothing. Gonchar wasn't given away or traded, he left as a UFA because they couldn't afford him and had younger PMD's.

The best way to "upgrade" on Gorges is to improve the defense to the point where he is #4 not #2 or 3. It's easier said than done as #2 or 3 d-men are not walking the streets looking for jobs. In the meantime he's fine as #3.

Part of what Cole was moved was his surly demanor, yes he was a leader, but I think they had an issue with how he was leading.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:28 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.