HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Bryzgalov: To Buy Out or Not To Buy Out...That is the Question (Updates in post #1)

Old
06-13-2013, 03:53 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
The fact that we threw away the solution to our goalie position for a second rounder to make room for this guy, who we're now buying out two seasons later . . . it just sucks all the enthusiasm from me as a fan.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 03:54 PM
supa scoop

Great, here we go again.

Drive another goalie out of town, then have to give up assets to acquire another one. Then over, and over, and over, and over.

So tired of this ****. It's a ****** contract, but Holmgren and/or Snider were the ones who wrote it up, flew Bryz to town, and wined and dined him.

supa scoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgaspari View Post
to make this fiasco sound worse, holmgren gave up 2 third round picks to phx for the right to sign the goalie. by the way both picks are in the penguins system.
Forgot about that..who are they? I hope they never see the light of day in the NHL.

As far as the comment about Bryz winning a Vezina....the sun has set on that IMO and he certainly wouldn't do it here unlike Bob who I do believe could have still been a Vezina candidate like he is now if he had remained with the Flyers.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GingerFetish

Send a message via Skype™ to GingerFetish
Quote:
Originally Posted by kudymen View Post
Oh well. I will get eaten alive for this opinion, but: I'm happy to see a horrible contract gone. I'm not happy to see the guy gone...

One thing would be fitting for sure - if he miraculously turned his game around and in a year we would be seeing threads like "What would Bryz winning the Vezina mean for the Flyers." This twist would be so absurd it will probably happen

****, now I'm scared.

GingerFetish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 03:55 PM
BernieParent

If true, it would be nice if Holmgren added the prospective replacement before showing Bryzgalov the door just to, you know, have some small shred of leverage in negotiations. As long as Bryzgalov is part of the team, Holmgren can arguably walk away from someone asking for the moon.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 03:56 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgaspari View Post
to make this fiasco sound worse, holmgren gave up 2 third round picks to phx for the right to sign the goalie. by the way both picks are in the penguins system.
I was more concerned about giving up Matt Clackson myself.

It was only one 3rd rounder that went to Pittsburgh by the way. We traded a 2011 3rd rounder which was originally owned by Pittsburgh and acquired in the Dan Hamuis rights deal. Phoenix kept that pick and traded our 2012 3rd rounder to Pittsburgh.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 03:57 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
If true, it would be nice if Holmgren added the prospective replacement before showing Bryzgalov the door just to, you know, have some small shred of leverage in negotiations. As long as Bryzgalov is part of the team, Holmgren can arguably walk away from someone asking for the moon.
You are asking that Holmgren think a couple of steps ahead?

Old
06-13-2013, 03:57 PM
MP92

Quote:
Originally Posted by supa scoop View Post
Great, here we go again.

Drive another goalie out of town, then have to give up assets to acquire another one. Then over, and over, and over, and over.

So tired of this ****. It's a ****** contract, but Holmgren and/or Snider were the ones who wrote it up, flew Bryz to town, and wined and dined him.
He drove himself outta town man.

MP92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 03:58 PM
SuchySays

vCash: 50
team of babies can't seem to get along.

WE DON'T LIKE HIM!!! WAHHHHHHHHH

SuchySays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 04:01 PM
Clyde Donovan

Gaurantee Briere tears it up in the playoffs next season for whatever team he's on. Still probably needs to be bought out though.

Clyde Donovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 04:02 PM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
He was terrible, a distraction and also one of the highest paid goalies in the league. Call it "driving him out of town" or whatever you want, but he has to go.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 04:06 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchySays View Post
team of babies can't seem to get along.

WE DON'T LIKE HIM!!! WAHHHHHHHHH
We don't know it for a fact but during sleep gate it was mentioned that some of the younger players don't like or get him...supposedly the whistleblower was one of the younger players. Who knows. Bryz is just an odd fellow..maybe he's misunderstood but the team seems to be wasting too much energy on all the controversy that seems to surround him whether real or misplaced. Just too much of a distraction at this point and that contract is just too onerous considering what the Flyers need to do to get the team back as a contender. Bryz is not a bad goalie but he is not the answer we thought he would be and that is more Bryz's fault than anything but management should have done more due diligence...they acted too impatiently because of the playoff musical goalie debacle.

Old
06-13-2013, 04:08 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
The fact that we threw away the solution to our goalie position for a second rounder to make room for this guy, who we're now buying out two seasons later . . . it just sucks all the enthusiasm from me as a fan.
Flyers Hockey!?

06-13-2013, 04:09 PM
Stizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpaxil View Post
I really don't like the idea of buying out brier. weve been lugging around his cap hit for all this time and now hes finally on the cheap salary end of the deal where he might actually have some value and What?. you don't move a proven playoff performer like that if you expect to make the playoffs
Firstly, the Flyers don't care that much about actual salary. They care about cap hit. Second, he has been flat out brutal the last two regular seasons. He literally contributed nothing to the team and had the highest cap hit. Yes, he always put up points in the playoffs. He may continue to do so, he may not. I'm not willing to take the chance he may find it again. He's older and slower and flat out doesn't compete on a nightly basis. I also believe he drags down his linemates. For example, I think Brayden Schenn would have been much more consistant and put up better numbers had Briere not been attached to him.

Stizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 04:17 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Should have put him on DRY ISLAND the whole year... Go home Bryz, you're drunk! HAHA...

It's all hearsay at this point, but funny nonetheless.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 04:23 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post
Should have put him on DRY ISLAND the whole year... Go home Bryz, you're drunk! HAHA...

It's all hearsay at this point, but funny nonetheless.
He doesn't drink. Maybe that's the problem.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 04:24 PM
supa scoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOREacek View Post
He drove himself outta town man.
No way. He showed his quirky side and our media absolutely lambasted him.

Old
06-13-2013, 04:26 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
He doesn't drink. Maybe that's the problem.
I know. Maybe he should start..

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 04:27 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
What it all comes down to is that he drove himself out by being an average goalie while getting paid top dollar.

Old
06-13-2013, 04:27 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
He also played far, far below his cap hit (on average) for 99 regular season games, and has turned in one horrible playoff series and one mediocre playoff series. His on-ice performance is a much bigger issue than his personality.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 04:30 PM
FlyersFan61290

I was in support of keeping him for the yr and buying him out next season cause I figured the team didn't need the space this offseason (with Briere gone) plus I couldn't think of any practical solutions to the goalie problem. Now with Streit and the possibility of some other moves I'm more then ok with it.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 04:31 PM
supa scoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
He also played far, far below his cap hit (on average) for 99 regular season games, and has turned in one horrible playoff series and one mediocre playoff series. His on-ice performance is a much bigger issue than his personality.
I won't argue that he has been playing below expectations but damn.. I'd perform like **** too if after every ****** day of work I had to deal with five to ten Tim Pannocios. Contract you can blame Snider or Holmgren whoever the **** thought it would be a good idea.

He is not worth his contract but he is not the problem, unless these baseless rumors of his teammates hating him are true.

Old
06-13-2013, 04:35 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
I won't argue that he has been playing below expectations but damn.. I'd perform like **** too if after every ****** day of work I had to deal with five to ten Tim Pannocios. Contract you can blame Snider or Holmgren whoever the **** thought it would be a good idea.

He is not worth his contract but he is not the problem, unless these baseless rumors of his teammates hating him are true.
Blaming anyone other than Bryz for his downfall is incredibly dumb. There has been many players who had to deal with the pack of idiots in the media here and still performed well in the past.

You can match Bryz's production with other cheaper options while strengthening other positions to make up for it. That's what it all comes down to.

Old
06-13-2013, 04:38 PM
flyershockey

Quote:

I'm sure Bryzgalov will be fine taking his millions and moving on. I'm more pissed that the Flyers seemingly didn't do their homework when figuring what kind of guy he is. His lack of any sort of professionalism or seriousness coupled with his ****** play make him one of my least favorite players to ever wear a Flyers uniform.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 04:41 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Blaming anyone other than Bryz for his downfall is incredibly dumb. There has been many players who had to deal with the pack of idiots in the media here and still performed well in the past.

You can match Bryz's production with other cheaper options while strengthening other positions to make up for it. That's what it all comes down to.
Not to mention the fact that the media can only really bother you if you let them bother you. How mentally soft do you have to be that a guy like Tim P. is enough to throw you completely off?

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote