HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Per Agent, Devils To Re-Sign Andrei Loktionov On A 1 Year Deal

Old
06-12-2013, 06:53 PM
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
The literal only problem I can see with Loktionov playing center is the faceoffs, and I'm not convinced that's an enormous issue. Faceoffs are the "big new thing" this year and once again, like blocked shots last year, they're turning out to not mean a whole lot.

A blocked shot, like a won faceoff, is not a bad thing. But blocking a shot (and winning a faceoff) does not affect the game enough that it should be focused on over goals.

Loktionov has the potential to pretty drastically affect the Devils' offense in a positive way next season, and that is WAY more important than any marginal drawback he'd bring with his faceoffs.

Hockey Sports Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 06:56 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggers View Post
The literal only problem I can see with Loktionov playing center is the faceoffs, and I'm not convinced that's an enormous issue. Faceoffs are the "big new thing" this year and once again, like blocked shots last year, they're turning out to not mean a whole lot.

A blocked shot, like a won faceoff, is not a bad thing. But blocking a shot (and winning a faceoff) does not affect the game enough that it should be focused on over goals.

Loktionov has the potential to pretty drastically affect the Devils' offense in a positive way next season, and that is WAY more important than any marginal drawback he'd bring with his faceoffs.
Winning faceoffs is pretty important on special teams.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 06:57 PM
Hockey Sports Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balance View Post
It's actually foolish to believe otherwise. Loktionov and Henrique are both the same age and played on the same OHL team. Loktionov has a better PPG rate than Henrique in not only the OHL but also the AHL. Loktionov also outplayed Henrique in his first season and that can be evidenced not only by stats and watching them play but Deboer replacing Loktionov over Henrique as the center for Kovalchuk.

What is the difference between Henrique and Loktionov? Henrique was drafted by a team that lacked center depth and Loktionov was drafted by the deepest team in the NHL in center depth.

To think both won't be similar in point production throughout their career is a pretty radical statement and I wouldn't bet on it.
Hey wow. I won't say I've agreed with everything you've posted in this thread so far, but this seems pretty spot on. As recently as two years ago, Loktionov was a top-10 prospect in hockey. Henrique's a great player already and we should be psyched to have him, but it's not wrong to expect a whole other level of offense out of Loktionov, because that's the kind of skill he's been advertising since his OHL days.

Old
06-12-2013, 07:04 PM
Hockey Sports Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
Winning faceoffs is pretty important on special teams.
It's important yes, but not to the point where focusing on faceoff ability over offensive ability (or PK ability) is a good idea. And I feel like we're heading in the opposite direction in this thread regarding Loktionov. Winning a faceoff can be important, but being bad at faceoffs is not a reason to keep what might be an excellent offensive player off of a team.

EDIT: Here's some super fun stuff to read, if anyone's interested:
http://www.mc79hockey.com/?p=3670 , http://www.mc79hockey.com/?p=6142

Old
06-12-2013, 07:19 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
It's important yes, but not to the point where focusing on faceoff ability over offensive ability (or PK ability) is a good idea. And I feel like we're heading in the opposite direction in this thread regarding Loktionov. Winning a faceoff can be important, but being bad at faceoffs is not a reason to keep what might be an excellent offensive player off of a team.

I agree that faceoffs are overrated, however that study only looks at the opening faceoff on a powerplay. Assuming there are two faceoffs per powerplay, that would seemingly double the impact.

And as you can see in the data, in some cases, the difference is quite stark (a lot which is randomness, some of which probably means something).

I suspect teams that have less skilled, less creative players would have more of an incentive to win faceoffs on the powerplay. We've seen how difficult it is for the Devils to regain the zone sometimes when the puck is cleared.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 07:23 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balance View Post
Loktionov also outplayed Henrique in his first season and that can be evidenced not only by stats and watching them play but Deboer replacing Loktionov over Henrique as the center for Kovalchuk.
So ifso facto, Loktionov is better than Zajac?

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 08:08 PM
devilsblood

Quote:

I don't think anyone is saying his weak faceoff % is reason to keep him off the ice. But it may be a legit reason to move him to wing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Without flat out saying that, Zajac does need to bring a LOT more offense then we've seen from him in recent years, otherwise he is more or less a very well paid 3rd liner.

devilsblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 10:38 PM
guyincognito

The Devils are a puck-possession team that likes to grind teams up in half-court hockey. Faceoffs are kinda crucial to that.

guyincognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 11:31 PM
Hockey Sports Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyincognito View Post
The Devils are a puck-possession team that likes to grind teams up in half-court hockey. Faceoffs are kinda crucial to that.
Why? If the Devils can't possess the puck without faceoff wins, they've got bigger problems.

Old
06-12-2013, 11:34 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

Our horrible faceoff percentage has a lot to do with the decline of our penalty kill since last years playoffs. How many time during last years playoffs and into last year can you remember us losing a crucial faceoff, and on the same shift, sometimes even within seconds it was in the back of the net? I remember it happening way too much.

I'm sure it hasn't helped our PP either, especially when we lose a faceoff and then spend who knows how many seconds trying to get it back in.

This isn't really on Loktionov as he doesn't play the PK. I don't remember him always taking faceoffs on the PP either. It's Gio stinking up the circle on the PK. As much as I love the guy. And to think I gave Patty a hard time for his faceoffs last year, now we have two guys at 35% regularly taking faceoffs.

Bleedred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2013, 11:59 PM
Balance

Quote:
That was my last point and one point does not make an argument which is contrary to yours.

Balance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 12:14 AM
apice3*

What does our PK% have to do with our faceoff %? Our centers not named Zajac can't win faceoffs.

Old
06-13-2013, 12:31 AM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

Quote:
What does our PK% have to do with our faceoff %? Our centers not named Zajac can't win faceoffs.
Because we lost a lot of faceoffs right before PP goals were scored for the other team. You don't remember it happening almost every time a PP goal was scored against us in the playoffs last year? It was very common this year too.

Old
06-13-2013, 07:31 AM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
Quote:
Why? If the Devils can't possess the puck without faceoff wins, they've got bigger problems.
you're not serious, are you?

2 of their 4 centers were the worst FO guys in the league last year. that has to change.

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 07:45 AM
CerebralGenesis

Quote:
eek

we are forfeiting possession over half the time right off the bat, how is that ok?

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 08:12 AM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Because we lost a lot of faceoffs right before PP goals were scored for the other team. You don't remember it happening almost every time a PP goal was scored against us in the playoffs last year? It was very common this year too.
I see what you're saying now. I thought you meant our crappy faceoff % was because of our crappy PK, which would have been backwards.

Old
06-13-2013, 08:13 AM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
When you've got a player who wins face-offs at, say, 45%, that's fine. No, you're not going to put him on the ice in a clutch situation where you have to win the draw on the PP or PK, but for a routine drop of the puck, 45% is acceptable.

But 35% is just not acceptable. It's just not acceptable to have a center taking a quarter+ of your draws and losing 65% of them. And it's really, really not acceptable to have two centers each taking a quarter+ of your draws and losing 65% of them.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 04:33 PM
guyincognito

Quote:
Because if you have to leave the zone, you have to re-enter the zone. I'd love to go back and watch some of the playoff games from 2012, the bad ones where I was disgusted with their forecheck/offense, and see what they were doing faceoff-wise in the offensive zone.

There was probably a connection to why they looked dominant and played the great majority of the game in the offensive zone in some games, and couldn't get out of their own way in others.

The last 1/4 or so of the season proved their system is pretty sound. Can't score to save their lives, but if they had a second primary faceoff guy they could really dominate possession. Loktionov as the second primary faceoff guy is going to be a trainwreck.

guyincognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 04:59 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

That's why I say to people who say ''We have too much center depth as it is'' anytime someone brings up a good center to bring in, that we could get better.

We're one of the worst faceoff teams in the league. We were even worse this year with Zajac than we were last year without him for most of the year.

Zajac had one of the best faceoff percentages in the league this year too. He was in the upper 50s. Without Zajac I'm pretty sure our faceoff winning percentage was in the low 40s.

Old
06-21-2013, 12:32 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
1 year , 725k per year

Per. Cap Geek
http://capgeek.com/devils/

Devils Trap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 12:34 PM
KaossKing
Pacing Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Trap View Post
1 year , 725k per year

Per. Cap Geek
http://capgeek.com/devils/
Good deal. glad that 1.5M nonsense talk is behind us

KaossKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 12:40 PM
Cowbell232

What a great signing. Great price, hopefully he fits in well over the long season.

Old
06-21-2013, 12:45 PM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

wow thats awesome. great signing

MartyOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 02:24 PM
Hockey Sports Fan

Damn, Lou's really making a lot of room for himself. Seems like he's preparing to get some serious signings done...which is weird 'cause I'm pretty sure Lou never does that and hasn't worked a day for the past 3 years.

Seriously though, I'm really interested to see what Elias and Henrique's contracts look like. I'm not worried about Elias's money (he probably deserves whatever we give him still, which is CRAZY at 37 years old), but the term may be the sticker-shock factor. There's been speculation that because of the lower cap, contract length is gonna be a much bigger factor this offseason. We could see something a little crazy for Elias (4 years?), and I wouldn't put it past him to hit UFA again to squeeze another year out of Lou.

Old
06-21-2013, 02:28 PM
tsipka

Quote:
Da We could see something a little crazy for Elias (4 years?), and I wouldn't put it past him to hit UFA again to squeeze another year out of Lou.
I think Elias will probably get a 3-4 year deal. Other teams will deff offer him that and Lou will deff match it.

tsipka is offline   Reply With Quote