HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Canadiens sign defenseman Davis Drewiske to a two-year contract ($637.5K AAV)

Old
06-13-2013, 04:16 PM
SouthernHab

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
Agreed. We need more face punchers, especially in the playoffs when they are historically called upon with great frequency.
Bollig played a hell of a game in the SC Finals last night. He is a face puncher.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 04:25 PM
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

Honestly, as a 7th defenseman, it doesn't get much better. He had some great games with us. Some bad games too, no doubt but I liked him.

Wonder what this means for Weber when we qualify him..

Hawkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 04:27 PM
JLP
чудесный Монреаль

So we have three 7th defencemen?

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 04:28 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMR View Post
WOOP WOOP!

Everyone hates him but thats how it started with Gorges.
By the end of the year if he stays healthy he will be a fan favourite.
Is Gorges worth 6 x his salary

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 04:38 PM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Bollig played a hell of a game in the SC Finals last night. He is a face puncher.
Yeah, he's been crucial in the 4 games with limited minutes he's played.

Dr Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 04:42 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Thornton didn't get a single shift in OT so obviously his coach didn't think he had much to add. Guys like Armstrong and Moen can be trusted in defensive zone faceoffs, that's part of the reason NHL teams have guys like that. On here all you hear about is scorers and bangers/fighters.

Halpern was fine as a #4 center, I think if given the chance, Dumnt can do a good job with it too.

How does Gorges being #3 make our defense suck? Scuderi played #2 minutes for LA, a team that won the cup last year and got to the sme finals this year. Your problem is you live in a dream world where every #4 d-man in the NHL is a Kronwall or Girardi. There was a list posted a few weeks back of guys playing top 4 minutes...Boston had Ference, Chicago had Oduya, LA had Scuderi and Regehr, Pittsburgh had Niskanen yet Gorges is not good enough to be a #3-4 in the NHL?

I will take Oduya , Ferrance , Scuderi ,over Gorges any day of the week

Kronwall is a #2 not a 4 , and Girardi is one of the better shut down d in the league , not our overated Gorges

cmon you are way overating Josh

Gorges is a 5 on great teams, he does nothing well , lacks size , gets beat by bigger players , average my friend and the playoffs showed it

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 04:43 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Guess which is the only D on the Habs with a cup ring. Habs too good for that player to play the same role on this team?
I dont have a problem with Bergevin signing Drewiske.

I look at it a little differently. Build on your core first. Once that is done, then look around and sign Drewiske type players.

Again, no problem with Drewiske being on our team. Just surprised at the urgency to lock him up to a 2 year contract. I doubt people were calling up Bergevin begging for his rights.

Old
06-13-2013, 04:47 PM
Takashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemorecup View Post

Kronwall is a #2 not a 4 , and Girardi is one of the better shut down d in the league , not our overated Gorges

Gorges is a 5 on great teams, he does nothing well , lacks size , gets beat by bigger players , average my friend and the playoffs showed it
You are way underrating Gorges. He had a bad year...
In a side note, some people says Gorges is better defensively than Subban, so that means our best defenseman in defence is a 5th in a good team?

Takashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 04:49 PM
MXD

No problem here. 8th D-Men, 7th in the absence of Emelin, and we might not get a satisfying player on the UFA market.

Besides, he's perfectly waivable (and claimable).

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 04:50 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Yeah, he's been crucial in the 4 games with limited minutes he's played.
I've got Dr Gonzo on an internet hockey forum vs. a coach named Joel Quenneville who has two Stanley Cup rings (one as an assistant) and the coach decided Bollig was crucial enough to play in Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Finals.

Wonder which side I am going to choose........

Anyway, we are getting a little bit off topic here.

Old
06-13-2013, 04:51 PM
Ezpz
No mad pls

vCash: 570
Quote:

I look at it a little differently. Build on your core first. Once that is done, then look around and sign Drewiske type players.

Again, no problem with Drewiske being on our team. Just surprised at the urgency to lock him up to a 2 year contract. I doubt people were calling up Bergevin begging for his rights.
It's better than getting to UFA, having him walk and only having crapper Picard types left to sign for depth.

Ezpz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 04:52 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezpz View Post
It's better than getting to UFA, having him walk and only having crapper Picard types left to sign for depth.
Heh.... to be honest, Picard brought a little bit more physicality and offense, so in other words, they're pretty much equal players.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 04:53 PM
Harpo
Lyle forever

He's depth, and it's the only thing we should read from this signing. Of course, there's still glaring holes in our lineup, but it's not as if we signed Gonchar.

Now let's get bigger and grittier in the spots that count.

Harpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 04:53 PM
Ezpz
No mad pls

vCash: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Heh.... to be honest, Picard brought a little bit more physicality and offense, so in other words, they're pretty much equal players.
Picard brought nothing of the sort.

Ezpz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 04:58 PM
habsfanatics

Not sure why we rushed to sign a guy who was barely good enough to be our 7th dman and threw in a 2nd year to boot.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 05:00 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemorecup View Post

Gorges is as good or better than those guys. You can say what you want but Gorges is a guy a lot of GM's would go after if he was a UFA. He is durable, reliable, smart, gritty and a leader. People on here suddenly turn on him because heaerned a nice contract and got it.

I brought up Girardi and Kronwall to prove a point, both guys are #1 on their respective teams. I guess you missed the point.

Not sure how a guy 6'1" 205lbs "lacks size" when he is bigger than 3 of Chicago's d-men and the same weight as a 4th. The only thing the playoffs "showed" is we can't win with half a team and crappy goaltending. Huge revalation!

In ter

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 05:04 PM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
I've got Dr Gonzo on an internet hockey forum vs. a coach named Joel Quenneville who has two Stanley Cup rings (one as an assistant) and the coach decided Bollig was crucial enough to play in Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Finals.

We all know who you would choose. The face puncher.

You're beyond predictable with your empty rhetoric and sarcastic comments whenever someone who isn't a pugilist signs. You do it in the prospect threads, and you do it here. You should change up your schtick.

Dr Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 05:05 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
Not sure why we rushed to sign a guy who was barely good enough to be our 7th dman and threw in a 2nd year to boot.
What's the worst thing that can happen?

Old
06-13-2013, 05:06 PM
Runner77

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
Could be marketable at some point during the season, whenever one of our prospects is ready to make the jump.

Drewiske should fetch at least a 5th. The 2nd contract year buys us an extra year to convert him into a pick, should he be needed for all of next season.

Runner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 05:07 PM
Halifaxhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpo View Post
He's depth, and it's the only thing we should read from this signing. Of course, there's still glaring holes in our lineup, but it's not as if we signed Gonchar.

Now let's get bigger and grittier in the spots that count.
That sounds dirty.....and kinda painful

Halifaxhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 05:11 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

You're beyond predictable with your empty rhetoric and sarcastic comments whenever someone who isn't a pugilist signs. You do it in the prospect threads, and you do it here. You should change up your schtick.
Bollig played in 4 of 18 playoff games, so coach Q thought he wasn't good enough to even dress in 14 of those games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Picard was a poor man's MAB, terrible defensively and soft. he was 215lbs but played like he was 160lbs.

Quote:

What does Drewiske have to do with building the core?

I'm not sure why they signed him for 2 years, maybe they see him being a top 6 guy at some point and being a "cap bargain", but in terms of the cap there is ZERO risk, if they have no room for him in the NHL he can be sent down with no cap hit so I have a hard time seeing why anybody could see this signing in a negative light.

Old
06-13-2013, 05:13 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:

it isnt about urgency... most GM (and their asst) work on various projects at the same time (unbelievable huh?), these guys happen to be signed first cause the negos with them are usually much simpler...

besides, it's not like MB has top RFA to re-sign or anything... Drew, Blunden, Dumont, White... so, while preparing for the draft and UFA, he signed one of his player, no urgency there...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 05:17 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:

You call it schtick.

I call it my beliefs in what type of players I think a team should have on its roster.

Joel Quenneville disagrees with you. Sorry man. The guy has a couple of Stanley Cup rings. He felt strong enough in the value of Bollig to dress him for the game.

Brandon ****ing Bollig. Zero goals and zero assists for the season doing nothing during a Stanley Cup Finals game except dishing out 9 hits and letting Boston know that he is there ready to handle whatever Boston was willing to dish out.......which turned out to be nothing.

But again, off topic. I already stated that I dont have a problem with Drewiske being on the team.

Old
06-13-2013, 05:18 PM
Halifaxhab

So now, not only does the habs gm need to be able to trade a 7th rd pick for Crosby to be considered any good, he needs to sign and/or trade players in a specific order?

Halifaxhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 05:26 PM
Sorinth

Quote:

What's funny is that in the enforcer thread when I brought up Scotty Bowman's opinion of enforcers his stanley cup rings didn't seem to have the same impact.

Sorinth is offline   Reply With Quote