HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Draft Thread Part 2: Bark to the Future

Closed Thread

Old
06-13-2013, 03:42 AM
Hagged

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by maplepred View Post
Did tormentor really put lazar as first overall for this draft??
No, ISS did. Tormentor hadn't seen Lazar enough to agree or disagree. But at that time he was at least considering Jones and McKinnon ahead of Barkov. But remember those posts are from two years ago.

Old
06-13-2013, 06:22 AM
maplepred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkine View Post
No, ISS did. Tormentor hadn't seen Lazar enough to agree or disagree. But at that time he was at least considering Jones and McKinnon ahead of Barkov. But remember those posts are from two years ago.
Ok thanks,

So I guess lazar has really dropped off compared to past projections.

I still think poile should trade for a mid-late round first is possible to snag a guy like him or maybe pulock

Old
06-13-2013, 08:15 AM
Hagged

Quote:
Ok thanks,

So I guess lazar has really dropped off compared to past projections.

I still think poile should trade for a mid-late round first is possible to snag a guy like him or maybe pulock
Agree on both of them. Another prospect to consider is swedish Andre Burakowsky who played in Allsvenskan for Malmö team. He is also hard to compare to the other prospects since he is still adjusting to pro-level game. 11 points in 43 games from lower lines is quite OK and when he still was in juniors he was considered as a top 10 pick for 2013. If he somehow dropped to second round, there might be reason enough to make a trade for a pick.

I have to get back to Barkov being a late riser: Craig Button visited Finland during the lockout. He happened to see a Tappara-TPS game where Barkov's line was put against Koivu's line. He talks about that game and some more in this TSN-podcast which has been uploaded to youtube and some of the plays Button talks about have been added to the youtube video. At the end of the podcast Button is asked on which is the top three, and he says that it is Jones-McKinnon-Barkov. So I would say that Barkov has actually slid a bit to be considered now a top 5 prospect instead of top 3 as Nichuskin and Drouin have been the late risers to come and compete with Barkov for the 3rd overall position. It sure will be interesting to see how the top 10 will be at the actual draft.

Last edited by Hagged: 06-13-2013 at 10:23 AM.
Old
06-13-2013, 05:23 PM
maplepred

Do you think his stock dropped because of his shoulder?

Old
06-13-2013, 11:32 PM
Jfio

Shoulder injury and his age? I Don`t think hes NHL ready at the start of 13-14.

Old
06-14-2013, 03:17 AM
Hagged

Quote:
Do you think his stock dropped because of his shoulder?
No I don't think that it affected Barkov's draft stock one way or another. Drouin and Nichuskin had their value on the rise for the last half a year and now they all are somewhat in a three way tie. When the season starts there is no way he's not ready. He is already starting to practise and he'll get a normal training summer between the injury and the season.

Old
06-14-2013, 03:51 AM
Jfio

yes he will recover but with all the bUzz around him, fin to na, sm-liiga to nhl. Shy kid like he is might take some time to get there..

Old
06-14-2013, 05:57 AM
maplepred

Why do you say he is shy?
And lots of guys move from a European league to NHL right away

Old
06-14-2013, 06:19 AM
Jfio

overall impression i get from finnish forums, media. i just wish so bad that he will be the next big star... I'm just trying to say that there is no hurry. his development will not be destroyed in a few months.

sorry my finnlighs....

Old
06-14-2013, 09:28 AM
PredsV82
Polishing Turds

vCash: 50
pre-draft evaluations can get silly and are often widely variable.

I cant remember where I read it but I saw somewher that Barkov "wasnt projected as a first line C"

I think Im just gonna quit reading and wait for the draft.

Old
06-14-2013, 09:31 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
pre-draft evaluations can get silly and are often widely variable.

I cant remember where I read it but I saw somewher that Barkov "wasnt projected as a first line C"

I think Im just gonna quit reading and wait for the draft.
I'm feeling somewhat the same way. I think I've absorbed about all I can of the top 5, so now I'm reading up on the next 10 or 20 guys so I can act like I know what I'm talking about when other teams pick, and even though I've never seen any of these plays play a single shift, randomly declared teams "winners" and "losers" based on stuff I've heard on the internet when the GMs and scouts get paid to do this.

Old
06-14-2013, 09:57 AM
maplepred

Slowest month ever!!

I think for the record, Mack and bark will both be number one centres.

Old
06-14-2013, 10:23 AM
Hagged

Interesting article which has a couple of Craig Button quotes. One of them:

Quote:
"Sitting at fourth overall, the Predators won’t have their choice of MacKinnon or Barkov. At least one of them, if not both, will likely be taken in the top three." Hypothetically, if the Predators had to decide between the two centers, Button would lean slightly towards Barkov as being the better fit for the Predators’ future.

“Barkov may be a little less dynamic [than MacKinnon], but he’s a little bit more of that player that can thrive on his own,” Button said. “And if you’re looking at [Filip] Forsberg as a left or right winger, who would he benefit more from playing with? If you’re asking me, today, I think the better fit with Forsberg is Barkov.”
Another one is this:
Quote:
“If you wanted to have Barkov in the conversation [for the No. 1 pick], it’s not out of the realm of possibility. That’s how good he is. Remember, a lot of people haven’t seen Barkov as much as they’ve seen Jones or MacKinnon or Drouin. Just because he may not be there in draft rankings or mock drafts doesn’t mean he’s not in a class with those players,” Button said, adding, “If the team picking first stood up and said, ‘With the first pick we draft Aleksander Barkov,’ it wouldn’t be one of those things where I fell out of my chair.”
link to the article nhl-draft-aleksander-barkov-nashville-predators-best-fit.html

Old
06-14-2013, 10:33 AM
maplepred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkine View Post
Interesting article which has a couple of Craig Button quotes. One of them:

Another one is this:

link to the article nhl-draft-aleksander-barkov-nashville-predators-best-fit.html

That's crazy! We definitely need a guy to play with forsberg and barkov has always been that guy IMO.

I remember when I started this draft thread in part one a while back, my original question was, who would be the best player we could draft to play with forsberg and possibly have great chemistry. I can't remember who it was but someone replied right away and said barkov, but we probably wouldn't get a chance at him, this was before when we didnt think we would tank so bad at end of season. Now we have a real chance at barkov!

If I was poile, I would be trying to figure out who the top three want, and if one wants barkov, we should move ahead of then and snag him. The perfect predator barkov!

I also liked what it said in your article you posted how he can thrive on his own, doesn't need to rely on teammates.

I know if we did get Mack, he would have no drouin anymore, just sayin

Old
06-14-2013, 10:38 AM
glenngineer
HF Partner

Quote:
That's crazy! We definitely need a guy to play with forsberg and barkov has always been that guy IMO.

I remember when I started this draft thread in part one a while back, my original question was, who would be the best player we could draft to play with forsberg and possibly have great chemistry. I can't remember who it was but someone replied right away and said barkov, but we probably wouldn't get a chance at him, this was before when we didnt think we would tank so bad at end of season. Now we have a real chance at barkov!

If I was poile, I would be trying to figure out who the top three want, and if one wants barkov, we should move ahead of then and snag him. The perfect predator barkov!

I also liked what it said in your article you posted how he can thrive on his own, doesn't need to rely on teammates.

I know if we did get Mack, he would have no drouin anymore, just sayin
He would have Forsberg though.

Old
06-14-2013, 10:42 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
In 6 games without Drouin, Mackinnon had 8 goals and 3 assists.

In 10 games in February without Mackinnon has 10 goals and 16 assists.
I'm sooo concerned. These guys are great talents any way you slice it.

http://www.thescoutingreport.org/the...non-or-drouin/

Old
06-14-2013, 11:08 AM
Roman Yoshi
Joey: A New Hope

If Drouin falls for any reason or if Colorado offers us the 1st overall for our 4th and Smith or something along those lines, we have to take him. By far and away the most explosive offensive talent in the Top 4.

I don't see that happening though. I really wish We could get a pair of firsts this year, but I don't see that happening either unless one of Blum or Ellis moves.

Old
06-14-2013, 11:58 AM
maplepred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustlechuck24 View Post
If Drouin falls for any reason or if Colorado offers us the 1st overall for our 4th and Smith or something along those lines, we have to take him. By far and away the most explosive offensive talent in the Top 4.

I don't see that happening though. I really wish We could get a pair of firsts this year, but I don't see that happening either unless one of Blum or Ellis moves.
Ok then, I will pack blum's suitcase for him! Lol.
Yeah I guess if we get drouin that's pretty sweet as well!
I am happy with Mack, bark, or drouin, in no particular order, but I would be more weary with nich or monahan or Lindholm, thank god we have the fourth pick.

Only thing that concerns me is drouin's frame not being that big, but I guess he is the same height as Crosby is...

Old
06-14-2013, 12:05 PM
Huffman

The problem with Forsberg and Barkov on the same line is that none of them are great skaters, they are both okay but they could use some quickness and grit to play with them.

Old
06-14-2013, 01:37 PM
maplepred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffman View Post
The problem with Forsberg and Barkov on the same line is that none of them are great skaters, they are both okay but they could use some quickness and grit to play with them.
Forsberg is fast as hell and barkov brings grit.
Would love to see them on line eventually with Wilson.

Old
06-14-2013, 02:59 PM
Byrddog

vCash: 50
Quote:
If we don't get Barkov we may need to put you in a padded room for a while.

Old
06-14-2013, 03:06 PM
maplepred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
If we don't get Barkov we may need to put you in a padded room for a while.
Bahahahaha!!!! We just may! Lol

Old
06-14-2013, 03:35 PM
triggrman

vCash: 557
Quote:
Forsberg is fast? Funny he looked marginal speed wise to me.

Old
06-14-2013, 03:40 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Forsberg is fast? Funny he looked marginal speed wise to me.
he's a good skater. but not fast as hell.

Old
06-14-2013, 03:59 PM
braindead

Quote:
I know Forsberg is not fast as hell and I'd reserve judgement on grit for anyplayer frequently compared to Joe Thornton.

Wilson centering Forsberg and Drouin would be pretty freakin awesome as well.

I'll be thrilled with Barkov but 1. I'm starting to worry that you will jinx us with the contnuous ra-ra on him and 2. We shouldn't get fixated on one guy that is ranked 4th when there are five (or more) unbelievable prospects, at least two of which will be available to us. and 3. it will take time.... maybe years... before we know who we wished we had taken so near term we should be prepared to enjoy whichever one we get.

Closed Thread