HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canadiens sign defenseman Davis Drewiske to a two-year contract ($637.5K AAV)

Old
06-13-2013, 06:30 PM
Sorinth

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
it isnt about urgency... most GM (and their asst) work on various projects at the same time (unbelievable huh?), these guys happen to be signed first cause the negos with them are usually much simpler...

besides, it's not like MB has top RFA to re-sign or anything... Drew, Blunden, Dumont, White... so, while preparing for the draft and UFA, he signed one of his player, no urgency there...
It also makes a lot of sense to get these guys signed quickly so you know exactly how much cap space you have going forward.

Sorinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 06:42 PM
Nom de Guerre
You Had ONE JOB

Forgot he even played for us

Nom de Guerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 06:51 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
It also makes a lot of sense to get these guys signed quickly so you know exactly how much cap space you have going forward.
Now that you put it like that, it does make sense.

Fill the team up with depth players and press box players. After that, look at how much money you have left and then go after talent.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 07:03 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Now that you put it like that, it does make sense.

Fill the team up with depth players and press box players. After that, look at how much money you have left and then go after talent.
better, dont sign anyone and wait.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 07:04 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlagos Blue View Post
Forgot he even played for us
It's strange, isn't it?

I was thinking about the habs defensive depth chart, and I didn't even remember to include drewiske, until this signing reminded me of him.

Anyways, I've seen him perform better than he did with the habs down the stretch last season. Maybe a full camp with the team will settle him down a little bit. Hopefully, he wont be asked to do anything more than spot duties on the 3rd pairing.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 07:10 PM
Walksss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
better, dont sign anyone and wait.
Obviously the only correct move is to do absolutely nothing until knuckledraggers that are on SC contending teams become UFAs and then quickly throw your wallet at them. It's the only way. They play a massive role in their teams success so we'll be able to easily steal them, perfect.

Walksss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 07:43 PM
MarkovsKnee

He's getting paid like he is a 7th defenseman. We need the depth. I can't see either Kaberle or Weber coming back, and we have a lot of puck movers already. We need a defensive d-man if one of Gorges or Cube get injured. Plus, it's unlikely that Emelin comes back before January.

So good signing.

MarkovsKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 08:32 PM
hockeyfan2k11

I don't mind the signing..but I wish we got an actual bruiser as a 7th dman. It's an element we sorely lack.

I guess Bouillion will be a regular.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 08:46 PM
Ghetto Sangria
The implication

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
I don't mind the signing..but I wish we got an actual bruiser as a 7th dman. It's an element we sorely lack.

I guess Bouillion will be a regular.
That's exactly what scares me. Signing Drewiske to a 2 year deal at that price means they intend on keeping him as a cheap 7th defenceman for cap management purposes... but then that bumps Bouillon up the depth chart, who I thought would be the 7th D.

Ghetto Sangria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 09:05 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
First of all, when you need to rely on a 38 years old guy got sent to the waivers and who got ignored by 27 teams before we claimed him as your 4th line center, it's fair to say that we, in fact, didn't have anybody of mention who, according to our management, step in those shoes. Dumont, the more he played, the least of an agitator he actually looked. Plus, he's just way, way too small to be a 4th line center.

Armstrong and Moen don't make your team tougher to play against, at least they clearly didn't last season.

As for the D question; You're talking about Kronwall and Girardi, who in fact, are good #2 guys in this league.

You're talking about Ference, who shares his duties with Boychuk and McQuaid in the 3/4/5 slot, and who's much, much more physical than Gorges. He's also better offensively for that matter. And he certainly didn't look as bad defensively as Gorges did this season.

You named guys like Niskanen and Oduya who are twice the skaters Gorges is, Scuderi who has won 2 Stanley Cup while being the main shutdown d-man of his team, and Regehr who's still very physical despite getting older.

Your top-4 d-men, in general, contribute to one facet of the game. No matter what it is.

Gorges is contributing to none. His shot-blocking has not been helping Price this year. That's all he has to his game.

Subban is a top-4 d-man. Markov is a top-4 d-man. Emelin has potential to become one. Gorges? If you have him as a top-4 d-man, you better hope he's at the top of his game. Because when he's not, it's really painful.
my freind this is a tremendous post and bang on

you nailed Gorges on the nose , completely overated

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 09:08 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
I'm good with this signing. Lets get Halpern and Armstrong signed to two year cheap contracts.

We made the playoffs with these players last season. And that's all that matters. Losing easily to Ottawa in the first round doesn't matter.

Keep you eyes on the prize. Playoffs. Not the second round. Playoffs.
Halpern ,Moen , Colby need to go if you want to compete for anything

they bring nothing to the table

Old
06-13-2013, 09:08 PM
vokiel
I hate blind passes

No idea... Don't know how to qualify this signing other than: useless. I guess we needed to beat the other teams on the Drewiske sweepstake. Great form...

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 09:12 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
A third line of Galchenyuk-Eller-Prust is an excellent third line. Not sure there are many better in the NHL. That's depth. Armstrong and Moen are both potential 3rd line players. That's depth. They aren't bruisers by any means but they are those guys you want in the playoffs ala Bickell. Both Armstrong and Moen have had their worth observed in the playoffs.... not necessarily with us though.

I'll move this to the off-season thread.

Hope to see Drew have a good season next year.
armstrong and Moen cant play third line for the Bulldogs , they are junk

Bickell, Shaw, Stoll, Campbell, etc are third liners who do contribute something

Moen and Colby right now are 13th forwards on good teams

Old
06-13-2013, 09:17 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takashi View Post
You are way underrating Gorges. He had a bad year...
In a side note, some people says Gorges is better defensively than Subban, so that means our best defenseman in defence is a 5th in a good team?
Last summer, some people actually said that Gorges was a better overall dman than Subban. No joke. I wiped the names off my memory because I could never take their opinion seriously ever again about anything and I don't know if that's entirely fair.

I guess you can find people to say just about anything. Doesn't mean you should derive conclusions from it.

Gorges is insanely overrated by the fans of this website. He does precious little well. He's not big, not physical, not offensive, doesn't clear the front of the net, doesn't move with the puck well, doesn't fight, doesn't have a good shot, isn't particularly fast or agile.

All he does is block shots and he tends to be well positioned. Last year he wasn't even doing that last bit well. And if we have the puck in the other team's zone than a big dimension of his game is just gone and he has almost nothing left to offer.

Insanely overrated. Gorges in a top 4 role prevents us from taking a step forward a heck of a lot more than Bouillon as a #6, especially with the insane contract he was given.

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 09:20 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Gorges is as good or better than those guys. You can say what you want but Gorges is a guy a lot of GM's would go after if he was a UFA. He is durable, reliable, smart, gritty and a leader. People on here suddenly turn on him because heaerned a nice contract and got it.

I brought up Girardi and Kronwall to prove a point, both guys are #1 on their respective teams. I guess you missed the point.

Not sure how a guy 6'1" 205lbs "lacks size" when he is bigger than 3 of Chicago's d-men and the same weight as a 4th. The only thing the playoffs "showed" is we can't win with half a team and crappy goaltending. Huge revalation!

In ter
Josh on boston or chicago is a third pairing d man

I dont care if he is 6`1" he gets blown buy biggeer forwards and struggles down low , he had a crap year no one can defend him this year

overate him all you want , hs is an average dman making nearly 4 mil , period

Old
06-13-2013, 09:20 PM
25get

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemorecup View Post
armstrong and Moen cant play third line for the Bulldogs , they are junk

Bickell, Shaw, Stoll, Campbell, etc are third liners who do contribute something

Moen and Colby right now are 13th forwards on good teams
During PO, Moen raised his game and certainly played very good for a fourth line if not third line.
He did not score but he played much better than during the season.

Armstrong is probably gone.

Last edited by 25get: 06-13-2013 at 10:33 PM.
25get is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 09:21 PM
dcyhabs

I guess Drewiske gets a contract for succeeding in getting positive comments while not actually playing well. He got good press for his first 2 or 3 weeks in spite of fairly weak play.

I guess Beaulieu is going to get turfed. Some other organization will benefit I expect. He looked ready.

I guess Weber is gone. Not the ideal guy for Montreal, but more upside than Drewiske I think.

I suppose we already knew Emelin would not be back for the start of the season.

Even with all this, why two years? It's not like they will be able to trade him once they have 7 or 8 better players, he's not that good.

dcyhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 09:23 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24get View Post
During PO, Moen raise his game and certainly played very good for a forth line if not third line.
He did not score but he played much better than during the season.

Armstrong is probably gone.
Moen is not a third liner maybe in Anaheim 5 years ago , not now

his play has gone down hill , does nothing that a third line role player is suppoed to do like Cleary , Shaw , etc...

Old
06-13-2013, 09:23 PM
dcyhabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemorecup View Post
Josh on boston or chicago is a third pairing d man

I dont care if he is 6`1" he gets blown buy biggeer forwards and struggles down low , he had a crap year no one can defend him this year

overate him all you want , hs is an average dman making nearly 4 mil , period
Gotta watch the big contracts for guys whose game is based on insane effort. I think DD falls into this category, too. They have to go on willpower alone and too much guaranteed money eats into that drive.

dcyhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 09:25 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcyhabs View Post
I guess Drewiske gets a contract for succeeding in getting positive comments while not actually playing well. He got good press for his first 2 or 3 weeks in spite of fairly weak play.

I guess Beaulieu is going to get turfed. Some other organization will benefit I expect. He looked ready.

I guess Weber is gone. Not the ideal guy for Montreal, but more upside than Drewiske I think.

I suppose we already knew Emelin would not be back for the start of the season.

Even with all this, why two years? It's not like they will be able to trade him once they have 7 or 8 better players, he's not that good.
A bit of an overreaction.

Bergevin said it best : Show me you deserve to be there and room will be made for you.

If Beaulieu can't be better than Drew, he does not deserve to play for the team next season. If he is better, I'm sure bergevin will find a way to get rid of Drew, even if it means sending him to the minors.

I'm not worried at all about this.

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 09:32 PM
Steve Shutt
Don't Poke the Bear

Why I like this:

1) Insurance Policy in case of injuries
2) Don't rush the young guys - Tinordi and Beaulieu need more time in the AHL
3) Asset Management - we can easily trade him later in the year - better to start with depth than waste draft picks later if we need someone
4) Salary is right
5) Size

Steve Shutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 09:33 PM
Metropolitsky
Still 4x more cups

e

What if « superstar X » refuses to play for us because another team offered him 600K more the first year ?

Metropolitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 09:36 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcyhabs View Post
Gotta watch the big contracts for guys whose game is based on insane effort. I think DD falls into this category, too. They have to go on willpower alone and too much guaranteed money eats into that drive.
agreed my friend the problem in this league is simple

these average to decent players are ridicously overpaid for their value ,and the majority are dime a dozen players

when 40 point Gios, 4th=5th d men make 4-5 MIL , regardless of UFA status thats nuts

you can pay Malkin 9 mil thats fine but when Gio and Gorges combine
for 9 mil for 2 average players these owners are {Mod Edit}

and who is available a year later at the trade deadline

the same player you grossly overpaid , its unlike other sports where the difference between stars and average is night and day

in this league Horcoff makes nearly the same as Toewes , Gio is within 500k of Tavares

Old
06-13-2013, 09:41 PM
JesusBouillon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Chainz View Post
He was solid when he was in a lesser role, perfect #7 defenseman and seems like a really good teammate.
Not really, I thought he was weak for his size and prone to mistakes.

I really don't see the point of this move, there has to be a better UFA available.

JesusBouillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 09:41 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metropolitsky View Post
What if « superstar X » refuses to play for us because another team offered him 600K more the first year ?
We can go over the cap during the offseason then make sure we are under the cap by trading or buying out players.

Drewiske won't prevent us from signing Superstar X. He's there to be an insurance policy only, a guy we can keep on the roster and bench most games without him *****ing about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusBouillon
Not really, I thought he was weak for his size and prone to mistakes.

I really don't see the point of this move, there has to be a better UFA available.
He'll be benched most games. Not many players want to sign in these conditions at minimum salary. That we sign Drewiske today doesn't mean we won't acquire an actual top6 defensemen at UFA.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote