HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Buffalo Bills: Training Camp

Closed Thread

Old
06-10-2013, 06:28 PM
SundherDome
Jhonas is an Ewok

vCash: 500
Jackson will find a home soon. My guess is bears or ravens with an outside chance on St.Louis.

Old
06-10-2013, 06:34 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebuild View Post
Tarvaris Jacksons has been released by the Bills per WGR text alert.
That happened about six seconds after we drafted Manuel in my mind. Yawn.

Old
06-11-2013, 01:44 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

and when the circus becomes too much? I bet hes released at some point.

Old
06-11-2013, 01:45 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

I'm gunna dearly miss Travis...I mean Travaris.

Old
06-11-2013, 04:37 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Don't have a link for this but I saw on the Bottom Line of ESPN that Shawne Merriman made a dumb move by overdosing on alcohol and some kinda drug and was rushed to the hospital.

Old
06-11-2013, 09:11 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK Triple Threat View Post
Don't have a link for this but I saw on the Bottom Line of ESPN that Shawne Merriman made a dumb move by overdosing on alcohol and some kinda drug and was rushed to the hospital.
I am shocked at this completely unforeseeable turn of events.

Old
06-11-2013, 03:33 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
I can't decide whether it's a good thing or a bad thing that the defense is already apparently dominating the offense 11 on 11. 3 incompletions, sack, INT already.

Old
06-11-2013, 03:54 PM
missingmika

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
I can't decide whether it's a good thing or a bad thing that the defense is already apparently dominating the offense 11 on 11. 3 incompletions, sack, INT already.
This reminds me of the Packers run D....in practice, the Packers have an awesome run game, but its against the Packers run D...so you think you have a strength, when you really have a major weakness.

Old
06-11-2013, 04:03 PM
whiplash

I wonder if Tebow will even make it past the Pats practice jerseys. What a weird move.

TJax getting dumped on the other hand, that's expected

Old
06-11-2013, 09:49 PM
kirby11

Quote:
I am shocked at this completely unforeseeable turn of events.

yeah, alcohol and possibly ecstasy/molly...bad combo there, merriman

Old
06-11-2013, 09:51 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Par for the course. The defense is usually a step ahead of the offense until further along in training camp. With the aggressive style of our new defense it should be expected that the offense would have trouble until it's running like a well-oiled machine.

Old
06-11-2013, 09:57 PM
Der Jaeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiplash View Post
I wonder if Tebow will even make it past the Pats practice jerseys. What a weird move.

TJax getting dumped on the other hand, that's expected
This move is eerily similar to Steve Young's move to San Francisco. Both were first rounders (Young in the supplemental draft) based mostly on athletic ability as opposed to actual QB play. Both were mostly failures early on. Both went to the league's most stable franchise with a HoF head coach. Both sat behind a Super Bowl winning, HoF QB that wasn't giving up the position any time soon.

Josh McDaniel will essentially reset Tebow's developmental clock to Week 14 of the 2010 season. They easily have the time to develop Tebow - probably at least two more years. Look what Harbaugh did with Kaepernick - another athlete-turned-QB type - in 18 months. Tebow is going to work he rear off and improve with no pressure to do anything anytime soon.

This is the bet move Tebow could have made. And it could allow for a Montana-to-Young type of transition for the Patriot organization.

Old
06-12-2013, 02:16 AM
CraniumCram
Syracuse '14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jaeger View Post
This move is eerily similar to Steve Young's move to San Francisco. Both were first rounders (Young in the supplemental draft) based mostly on athletic ability as opposed to actual QB play. Both were mostly failures early on. Both went to the league's most stable franchise with a HoF head coach. Both sat behind a Super Bowl winning, HoF QB that wasn't giving up the position any time soon.

Josh McDaniel will essentially reset Tebow's developmental clock to Week 14 of the 2010 season. They easily have the time to develop Tebow - probably at least two more years. Look what Harbaugh did with Kaepernick - another athlete-turned-QB type - in 18 months. Tebow is going to work he rear off and improve with no pressure to do anything anytime soon.

This is the bet move Tebow could have made. And it could allow for a Montana-to-Young type of transition for the Patriot organization.

I see him playing TE in the short term. But you have to account for Mallet in that situation too.

Old
06-12-2013, 04:32 AM
Der Jaeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramdizzl View Post

I see him playing TE in the short term. But you have to account for Mallet in that situation too.
I don't. They have Gronkowski (if healthy) and Hernandez, and plenty of 2nd and 3rd string TE types on the roster. Why play Tebow at a position that he's never played before?

I see Belichick and McDaniels playing him strictly as a QB, and restarting his development clock. There's nothing for the Pats to lose in this situation. Tebow can sit behind Brady and Mallett, and focus on developing as a QB with no other pressures.

Nearly perfect situation for Tebow:
- clearly the 3rd stringer
- no pressure to start or even dress
- OC who, without question, believes in him
- HC that doesn't allow media hype to develop
- Team that doesn't need him to contribute anything, even in short yardage (Brady converted last 49 one-yard-to-go situations)
- Team that fits his team-first persona
- Organization that can take a chance due to long-term success
- Zero guarantees in Tebow's contract, heavily incentive laden

Perfect situation for both parties. If everything works out, Pats have the QB to keep the success rolling. If Tebow flops, both Tebow and the Pats move on without much tarnish on the New England organization.

Link: NFL.com story on Tebow

Old
06-12-2013, 05:10 AM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:

Look, if this actually happens, I will no longer be agnostic. Because it will be a sign that God clearly hates me.

Old
06-12-2013, 08:05 AM
Der Jaeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
Look, if this actually happens, I will no longer be agnostic. Because it will be a sign that God clearly hates me.
Really? Look at the vast improvements Tebow made between the Senior Bowl and the 2010 draft. 3 months and he fixed his throwing motion.

Now he gets two years with dedicated training time. He'll improve.

Old
06-12-2013, 08:37 AM
WNY to NoVA

Quote:
Really? Look at the vast improvements Tebow made between the Senior Bowl and the 2010 draft. 3 months and he fixed his throwing motion.

Now he gets two years with dedicated training time. He'll improve.
what in the hell?

Old
06-12-2013, 12:43 PM
Der Jaeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNY to NoVA View Post
what in the hell?
There's the myth that Tebow sucks for various reasons.

Then there's the reality. He went to D1 Sports Training in Nashville in the 2010 off-season and worked with Zeke Bratkowski. If you watch the documentary "Everything in Between," you see that he fixed his motion. He had to maintain it - but never truly did after McDaniels left.

Too bad reality gets drowned out by the two largest groups - the "Tebow is the greatest" crowd and the "Tebow sucks" crowd.

The reality is that he's another athlete QB with a great work ethic. Those types need time to develop. Like Colin Kaepernick.

Old
06-12-2013, 01:01 PM
WNY to NoVA

Quote:
There's the myth that Tebow sucks for various reasons.

Then there's the reality. He went to D1 Sports Training in Nashville in the 2010 off-season and worked with Zeke Bratkowski. If you watch the documentary "Everything in Between," you see that he fixed his motion. He had to maintain it - but never truly did after McDaniels left.

Too bad reality gets drowned out by the two largest groups - the "Tebow is the greatest" crowd and the "Tebow sucks" crowd.

The reality is that he's another athlete QB with a great work ethic. Those types need time to develop. Like Colin Kaepernick.
so tebow has a good throwing motion and might be the next kaepernick...?

Old
06-12-2013, 04:56 PM
dma0034

vCash: 600
Quote:
That isn't what he is saying. He is saying that Tebow is willing to work on everything to improve his quarterback skills. Yes he did have bad footing and throwing motion coming out of College. He has eliminated all considers with bad footing and was working on his throwing motion regularly with McDaniels when he was fired and Fox didn't give Tebow the time of day (Elway even said he would work with him in the off-season to help him with his throwing motion but they signed Peyton Manning instead). So Tebow goes off to probably the worst place he could go: the Jets. Not only is Tebow not much worse than the starting QB there but the Offensive Coordinator was an absolute joke and one-trick pony (Wild Cat). They don't let Tebow go in to play QB and the coach listens to his players who says he sucks ( whom seem bitter over the lost Tebow gave them the year before). Tebow has everything but accuracy..... if he were able to work on it than the sky is the limit.

Old
06-12-2013, 06:17 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Happens every year, especially with a newer scheme. Offense takes more reps/practise to get into game shape because it's a lot more stuff to learn and about rhythm.

Don't look into anything in training camp/pre-season at all as far as predicting future success outside of individual players.

Old
06-12-2013, 06:53 PM
Der Jaeger

Quote:
Not what I wrote.

Athlete college quarterbacks (Kaepernick, Tebow, Klein) that play in run-option attacks normally can't really come in an play right away. Newton was an anomaly - his talent was so good that he could play right away. If you're not that talented, you need time to develop.

In order to develop, your team needs a plan. San Francisco had a plan for Kaepernick. Denver had a plan for Tebow. Harbaugh followed through on his - 18 months of development time, which would have been more if Smith didn't get hurt. Denver was working their plan until McDaniels got fired. So Tebow never got a full off-season with the team dedicated to working on him. Fox never did that. The Jets never did that. So his development paused at week 14 of the 2010 season.

Now Tebow is with a team that undoubtably has a development plan. The Pats will develop him, and I predict he'll improve drastically.

Old
06-13-2013, 12:17 PM
whiplash

Quote:
I don't. They have Gronkowski (if healthy) and Hernandez, and plenty of 2nd and 3rd string TE types on the roster. Why play Tebow at a position that he's never played before?

I see Belichick and McDaniels playing him strictly as a QB, and restarting his development clock. There's nothing for the Pats to lose in this situation. Tebow can sit behind Brady and Mallett, and focus on developing as a QB with no other pressures.

Nearly perfect situation for Tebow:
- clearly the 3rd stringer
- no pressure to start or even dress
- OC who, without question, believes in him
- HC that doesn't allow media hype to develop
- Team that doesn't need him to contribute anything, even in short yardage (Brady converted last 49 one-yard-to-go situations)
- Team that fits his team-first persona
- Organization that can take a chance due to long-term success
- Zero guarantees in Tebow's contract, heavily incentive laden

Perfect situation for both parties. If everything works out, Pats have the QB to keep the success rolling. If Tebow flops, both Tebow and the Pats move on without much tarnish on the New England organization.

Link: NFL.com story on Tebow
I agree with most of this, I just have a hard time seeing him succeeding at a high level in the NFL. It's not impossible for a player to undergo a (nearly) complete overhaul and he's certainly on the right team for it, I just don't think it's likely. I'm not nearly as thorough in my research as you though, so I'm not going to argue to hard

I've never thought he was the worst or best and he got an absolute ***** deal in getting passed on to the Jets but even after his improbable season with Denver, I never got the impression he would amount to much more than a serviceable QB who could succeed in the right scheme with a very talented team around him. NE has the latter but as long as they have Brady, that scheme isn't changing and I don't know that Tebow will be able to pick it up. We'll see.

edit: And I guess saying it was a weird move was knee jerk. It makes some sense, as neither party has anything to lose and there's no way the media circus that surrounded the Jets follows him to the Pats.

Old
06-13-2013, 12:40 PM
Der Jaeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiplash View Post
I agree with most of this, I just have a hard time seeing him succeeding at a high level in the NFL. It's not impossible for a player to undergo a (nearly) complete overhaul and he's certainly on the right team for it, I just don't think it's likely. I'm not nearly as thorough in my research as you though, so I'm not going to argue to hard

I've never thought he was the worst or best and he got an absolute ***** deal in getting passed on to the Jets but even after his improbable season with Denver, I never got the impression he would amount to much more than a serviceable QB who could succeed in the right scheme with a very talented team around him. NE has the latter but as long as they have Brady, that scheme isn't changing and I don't know that Tebow will be able to pick it up. We'll see.

edit: And I guess saying it was a weird move was knee jerk. It makes some sense, as neither party has anything to lose and there's no way the media circus that surrounded the Jets follows him to the Pats.
Tebow got a crap deal when Fox took over. Fox should have never played him, let Tebow develop, and let the team tank into the top of the 2012 draft.

Tebow got a crap deal in the way Denver handled the Manning situation. Elway should have acquired Manning, and handled it exactly the way the Pats are now - letting Tebow slip back into development.

Tebow got a crap deal in New York.

If you want the prime example of how to handle a young, athletic QB, see SF and Kaepernick. They are the poster children for how to do it. I think the Pats are going to do the same thing, under the assumption that Tebow's time clock restarts back in his rookie season at week 14.

Old
06-13-2013, 07:44 PM
Imlach a cup

He will either fix his mechanics or he won't. But if BB cuts him, just on hoodies rep, it will be the end. No reason to root against a guy who chooses the high but I'm not hopeful.

Closed Thread