HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 11.0

Closed Thread

Old
06-13-2013, 07:49 PM
phillytennis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoff Beard View Post
out of curiosity, who did you want the habs to pick instead of Leblanc ?
Chris Kreider...tremendous breakaway speed...always a menace on the ice.

Old
06-13-2013, 07:49 PM
ChesterNimitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markowicz View Post
Besides Morin, who could we realistically draft in the first 2 rounds that is a big defenseman who's more of the stay-at-home type?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Robert Hagg - 6'2", 205lbs
Steve Santini - 6'1", 210lbs
Dillon Heatherington - 6'4", 200lbs
Mirco Mueller - 6'4", 190lbs
Why draft a player based on such a narrow focus? Shouldn't your query be: who are the best defenceman available in the first two rounds? Generally, stay-at-home defencemen play that style due to the limitations in their overall mobility. To choose a lesser talented player because of his style of play would again mean that we will be reaching in the drafting process. Take the best talent available and if any need is later identified there will always be a host of Drewiskes available on the free agency market.

Old
06-13-2013, 07:50 PM
Crimson Skorpion

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I'd cry myself to sleep in joy.
As would I, but you and I both know Risto won't fall that far.

One of Zykov, Compher or Hartman would be a big win at #25. Rychel too.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Old
06-13-2013, 07:55 PM
ChesterNimitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Encounter View Post
As would I, but you and I both know Risto won't fall that far.

One of Zykov, Compher or Hartman would be a big win at #25. Rychel too.
Be careful. The utterances of that type of assurances can draw the ire of some readers here.

Old
06-13-2013, 07:56 PM
phillytennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNimitz View Post
Why draft a player based on such a narrow focus? Shouldn't your query be: who are the best defenceman available in the first two rounds? Generally, stay-at-home defencemen play that style due to the limitations in their overall mobility. To choose a lesser talented player because of his style of play would again mean that we will be reaching in the drafting process. Take the best talent available and if any need is later identified there will always be a host of Drewiskes available on the free agency market.
Agreed Chester...I want the most mobile defenceman with size...who sees the ice well and anticipates the play developing in front of him.

Old
06-13-2013, 08:04 PM
ChesterNimitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillytennis View Post
Agreed Chester...I want the most mobile defenceman with size...who sees the ice well and anticipates the play developing in front of him.
Of the four possible options mentioned:
would all be good value at 36 and all, except Hagg, should be available. I may be alone here, but I think Hagg is over rated and will not be the force many predict. In watching films of him, I just don't find him to be a fluid athlete. Just watch how odd he looks when he's shooting a puck.

Old
06-13-2013, 08:07 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
would all be good value at 36 and all, except Hagg, should be available. I may be alone here, but I think Hagg is over rated and will not be the force many predict. In watching films of him, I just don't find him to be a fluid athlete. Just watch how odd he looks when he's shooting a puck.
I wouldn't touch Hagg before 55. He just doesn't have -it-.

Old
06-13-2013, 08:09 PM
phillytennis

Quote:
I never saw Mirco Mueller play. I did see Santini play for the US U-18 team against team Canada. For me, he was the most impressive American player. I would certainly pick him at 34 or 36.

Last edited by phillytennis: 06-13-2013 at 08:17 PM. Reason: mistake...wrote "I", should be "he"
Old
06-13-2013, 08:18 PM
ChesterNimitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I wouldn't touch Hagg before 55. He just doesn't have -it-.
I don't think you have to worry. I think the hype around Hagg will see him drafted late in the first round. He will definitely play in the NHL, I just question at what level. I think we can do better at 34 and 36.

Old
06-13-2013, 08:34 PM
ChesterNimitz

Quote:
I never saw Mirco Mueller play. I did see Santini play for the US U-18 team against team Canada. For me, he was the most impressive American player. I would certainly pick him at 34 or 36.
I would definitely take Santini before Mueller and Hagg. But I wouldn't sell Heatherington short. He has excellent size and is surprisingly mobile for a large man as he demonstrated at the U18s. That Team Canada will in my opinion be known for the number of strong NHL defencemen that it produced. Morin, Heatherington, Bigras Theodore, Morrissey and Bowey will all play in the NHL. Some will even be stars. Drafting one or two out of this group can only be seen as a positive move. I can't question the drafting of any of them at either 34 or 36. And two of them, I only wish we have the chance to draft at 25.

Old
06-13-2013, 08:43 PM
phillytennis

Quote:
I would definitely take Santini before Mueller and Hagg. But I wouldn't sell Heatherington short. He has excellent size and is surprisingly mobile for a large man as he demonstrated at the U18s. That Team Canada will in my opinion be known for the number of strong NHL defencemen that it produced. Morin, Heatherington, Bigras Theodore, Morrissey and Bowey will all play in the NHL. Some will even be stars. Drafting one or two out of this group can only be seen as a positive move. I can't question the drafting of any of them at either 34 or 36. And two of them, I only wish we have the chance to draft at 25.
Santini, Morin and Morissey...take your pick...
Santini...good at both ends of the ice
Morissey...best offensive talent between the three
Morin...great physical presence, very good skater for his size

Old
06-13-2013, 09:24 PM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
Why would anyone take Santini before Mueller? Mueller is 6'3, skates well for his size, sees the ice well, has a good stick, isn't overly physical but uses his body to separate forwards from the puck. Our defensive prospect pool would be perfect if we could add him or McCoshen. Santini will likely struggle to move the puck at the NHL level where Mueller has already moved the puck well against stiff competition in the U-20 on an average team in Switzerland.

Old
06-13-2013, 09:28 PM
Nitehowl

Quote:
what about McCoshen? I would take him or Mueller before the others

Old
06-13-2013, 09:43 PM
yianik

Im not seeing a lot of interest in De La Rosa and I wonder if people see him as another boring safe pick with a limited ceiling and so not so keen on him. He has very good size but needs to add muscle, skating is good and defensively solid. So 3rd liner ? Well his skill set is above average , gives an effort, plays a physical game and apparently goes to the dirty areas. If this guy translates his game to the NHL you have a guy who could score 25-30 goals who will be defensively responsible, give a full effort and play a physical brand of hockey ( not Clarkson physical but physical ). Sounds like the kind of guy who you want to be playing with Eller , Gallagher or Galchenyuk. He actually sounds similar to Eller, but maybe a more involved physical player than Eller was at this age and maybe a better stick handler. Course, people could just like other players more on the merits, just wondering.

Old
06-13-2013, 10:09 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by yianik View Post
Im not seeing a lot of interest in De La Rosa and I wonder if people see him as another boring safe pick with a limited ceiling and so not so keen on him. He has very good size but needs to add muscle, skating is good and defensively solid. So 3rd liner ? Well his skill set is above average , gives an effort, plays a physical game and apparently goes to the dirty areas. If this guy translates his game to the NHL you have a guy who could score 25-30 goals who will be defensively responsible, give a full effort and play a physical brand of hockey ( not Clarkson physical but physical ). Sounds like the kind of guy who you want to be playing with Eller , Gallagher or Galchenyuk. He actually sounds similar to Eller, but maybe a more involved physical player than Eller was at this age and maybe a better stick handler. Course, people could just like other players more on the merits, just wondering.
Do you know this for sure? Eller is pretty beast in both areas.

If so than he got my attention.

Old
06-13-2013, 10:10 PM
Runner77

Quote:
Gauthier:-an excellent two way player; better hands than Lars Eller; was a rookie this season in the Q; play great in the U-18 tournament
I keep reading that Gauthier is defensively responsible but his offense is questionable. Those who have seen him play, does he have the tools to develop greater offense?

Old
06-13-2013, 10:40 PM
ChesterNimitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner77 View Post
I keep reading that Gauthier is defensively responsible but his offense is questionable. Those who have seen him play, does he have the tools to develop greater offense?
When dealing with 18 year olds, the only thing certain is the uncertainty of the extent of their possible development. As with all oversized juniors, the question remains whether his effectiveness was more as a result of his size advantage or his superior skill set. My only concern with Gauthier are his heavy feet. If he can gain an element of quickness the potential for increased offence is there. If not, he will join the ranks of a growing list of large juniors who made little or no impact in the NHL. The team drafting him will have to assess and, if they draft him, assume that risk. Would I take him at 25? My scouts would really have to convince me that the chance of increased quickness was a probability and not a mere possibility. If not, I would pass and see if he lasts to 34.

Old
06-13-2013, 11:39 PM
yianik

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
Do you know this for sure? Eller is pretty beast in both areas.

If so than he got my attention.
I think Ellers hockey sense and vision are better than De La Rosa . With the larger international surface there is more room as the checking is not as tight or challenging, but De la Rosa has a more north south attack the net kind of game than Eller had when drafted from what I have seen and his stick handling is pretty good. In terms of the physical play though Eller was pretty much NHL size when drafted, De La Rosa needs another 10-15 pounds to get there, but despite that I think he was more willing to initiate contact and drive the net than Eller was. Now as Eller has gotten bigger and stronger his physical game has come along great obviously. Just thinking that if De La Rosa gets bigger and stronger, with his willingness to play physical, that he will play that solid physical game at the NHL level. Not bone crushing physical , but a skill guy who will hit and fight his way to the net.

Old
06-14-2013, 03:21 AM
Mats86

Quote:
When dealing with 18 year olds, the only thing certain is the uncertainty of the extent of their possible development. As with all oversized juniors, the question remains whether his effectiveness was more as a result of his size advantage or his superior skill set. My only concern with Gauthier are his heavy feet. If he can gain an element of quickness the potential for increased offence is there. If not, he will join the ranks of a growing list of large juniors who made little or no impact in the NHL. The team drafting him will have to assess and, if they draft him, assume that risk. Would I take him at 25? My scouts would really have to convince me that the chance of increased quickness was a probability and not a mere possibility. If not, I would pass and see if he lasts to 34.
After seeing Gauthier play I came to same conclusion. Pass at 25, he's a good skater but doubt has NHL quickness. Most huge guys are like that. I see him as defensive, 3-4th line center

Old
06-14-2013, 03:53 AM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by yianik View Post
Im not seeing a lot of interest in De La Rosa and I wonder if people see him as another boring safe pick with a limited ceiling and so not so keen on him. He has very good size but needs to add muscle, is good and defensively solid. So 3rd liner ? Well his skill set is above average , gives an effort, plays a physical game and apparently goes to the dirty areas. If this guy translates his game to the NHL you have a guy who could score 25-30 goals who will be defensively responsible, give a full effort and play a physical brand of hockey ( not Clarkson physical but physical ). Sounds like the kind of guy who you want to be playing with Eller , Gallagher or Galchenyuk. He actually sounds similar to Eller, but maybe a more involved physical player than Eller was at this age and maybe a better stick handler. Course, people could just like other players more on the merits, just wondering.
There are a couple of us around who have been pulling for him, apparently unsuccessfully. I can support the Eller comparison however, DLR is a much more natural winger than Eller was. He's got all the tools, a well developed defensive game, leadership ability, and that gritty-skilled mix we all like. I'd take him over a guy like Nastasiuk for sure. He's my pick at #36 or potentially earlier. He's more skilled than the most of the other guys you "win with" that have been talked about.

Last edited by Draft: 06-14-2013 at 04:05 AM.
Old
06-14-2013, 06:10 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Good assessment. But we also needs to be concerned about the real possibility of him developing an offensive game in the bigs. I do have my doubts about that as well. His first steps aren't that great, to say the least. Once he gets going though, I don't think it's that problematic. As a matter of fact, I've seen him a lot this year, and sometimes live and I can say that he had improved all year long in that regard which at one point, is key in assessing a prospect development. He has to be considered at 25. Not sure that he will be THE guy though with everything that goes on during that day.

Old
06-14-2013, 06:47 AM
GRECOHAB

I really enjoy this time of the year with all the mock drafts, and i have been reading alot of them lately. In the past i have posted suggestions of possible players that we can pick with our draftpicks. Today i will play the ''if i was Bergevin - Timmins'' game, and here is what i would do:

MOVES PRIOR THE DRAFT

Trade Weber to NYI for their 4th round pick (118th overall) that we gave away in the Wiz trade. They have two 4th rounders and i think they would be willing to part with one of them since they are so high in Swiss puck moving defenders.
Trade Ryder's rights to anyone for a 5th rounder. Its probably the asking price and i think alot of teams would be willing to pay for in such a poor UFA class. That team should be a potential contender with cap space. Lets guess ANA's 5th rounder (149th overall)

PLAYERS SELECTIONS AT THE DRAFT

25th overall: Samuel Morin
34th overall: Michael McCarron
36th overall: Emile Poirier
55th overall: Justin Bailey
71st overall: Jon Diaby
86th overall: Phillipe Desrosiers
118th overall: Michell Wheaton
149th overall: Jeremy Gregoire
176th overall: Axel Blomqvist
206th overall: Mats Eller

Thoughts? Opinions?

Old
06-14-2013, 06:53 AM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRECOHAB View Post
I really enjoy this time of the year with all the mock drafts, and i have been reading alot of them lately. In the past i have posted suggestions of possible players that we can pick with our draftpicks. Today i will play the ''if i was Bergevin - Timmins'' game, and here is what i would do:

MOVES PRIOR THE DRAFT

Trade Weber to NYI for their 4th round pick (118th overall) that we gave away in the Wiz trade. They have two 4th rounders and i think they would be willing to part with one of them since they are so high in Swiss puck moving defenders.
Trade Ryder's rights to anyone for a 5th rounder. Its probably the asking price and i think alot of teams would be willing to pay for in such a poor UFA class. That team should be a potential contender with cap space. Lets guess ANA's 5th rounder (149th overall)

PLAYERS SELECTIONS AT THE DRAFT

25th overall: Samuel Morin
34th overall: Michael McCarron
36th overall: Emile Poirier
55th overall: Justin Bailey
71st overall: Jon Diaby
86th overall: Phillipe Desrosiers
118th overall: Michell Wheaton
149th overall: Jeremy Gregoire
176th overall: Axel Blomqvist
206th overall: Mats Eller

Thoughts? Opinions?
While I have hope we get a 4th and 5th, maybe in the way you state..
Morin won't be there at 25 and he's not worth trading up for.
I don't knw if Baily lasts to 55, wold be nice.
Not a big fan of Diaby, but he's in the 3rd round, so if we get him, it better be in te 3rd.
There's better goalies than Desrosiers in the draft.
Better players available than Wheaton or Gregoire.
I think we could do better than Mads Eller in the 7th round. If we want him, hope he goes undrafted and sign him, we have the cards with his brother already on the team.

Old
06-14-2013, 06:57 AM
ScopeHockey

Quote:
Yeah he reminded me of a younger version of Spacek who was fairly awkward himself.

Old
06-14-2013, 07:29 AM
ChesterNimitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScopeHockey View Post
Yeah he reminded me of a younger version of Spacek who was fairly awkward himself.
In any other draft, with or without the hype, Hagg would be at least a late 1st rounder. But this isn't every draft. At 25 there will be a wealth of talent (both at forward and defence) available. We can afford to be picky. We should be picky. While every player at 25 will have warts in their game, I find Hagg's a little more problematic. In watching the tapes, I just don't get a good feeling that his game will translate well in the NHL. These uneasy feelings are only heightened by the fact that there will be so many other defenceman available that have, at least in my view, much higher upsides.

Closed Thread