HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Canadiens sign defenseman Davis Drewiske to a two-year contract ($637.5K AAV)

Old
06-13-2013, 08:41 PM
onemorecup*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Shutt View Post
Why I like this:

1) Insurance Policy in case of injuries
2) Don't rush the young guys - Tinordi and Beaulieu need more time in the AHL
3) Asset Management - we can easily trade him later in the year - better to start with depth than waste draft picks later if we need someone
4) Salary is right
5) Size
exactly plus what do u want a 650k Drew or a 2.5m overpaid 5th-6th in free agency

great signing , webber is gone , kabbie is gone , dias will not break the bank here , maybe elswhere , MB will not commit stupid money to him ( ask Columbus what the Wiz is providing for 5.5 mil) so we need depth

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 08:49 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemorecup View Post
Josh on boston or chicago is a third pairing d man

I dont care if he is 6`1" he gets blown buy biggeer forwards and struggles down low , he had a crap year no one can defend him this year

overate him all you want , hs is an average dman making nearly 4 mil , period
Gorges was our "Drewiskie". He was a good bottom pairing guy that could play on the PK. But now he has a 6 year $4M contract and is playing tougher minutes. He doesn't look as good. I always said he was a bottom pairing dman. But in Montreal we pay guys like that 4M over 6 years. Thanks, Gauthier.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 08:56 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemorecup View Post
Josh on boston or chicago is a third pairing d man

I dont care if he is 6`1" he gets blown buy biggeer forwards and struggles down low , he had a crap year no one can defend him this year

overate him all you want , hs is an average dman making nearly 4 mil , period
Typical of one of your posts.

Full of fail.

Gorges is as good as guys like Oduya and Ference palying top 4 minutes, go ask any NHL GM if he is average.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
sampollock

not to physical though, but he has good attitude

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ezpz
No mad pls

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Gorges was our "Drewiskie". He was a good bottom pairing guy that could play on the PK. But now he has a 6 year $4M contract and is playing tougher minutes. He doesn't look as good. I always said he was a bottom pairing dman. But in Montreal we pay guys like that 4M over 6 years. Thanks, Gauthier.
He excelled last season as a #2 dman for 82 games. Josh may have had a bad year but he's certainly not a bottom pairing dman.

Ezpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 08:58 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Gorges was our "Drewiskie". He was a good bottom pairing guy that could play on the PK. But now he has a 6 year $4M contract and is playing tougher minutes. He doesn't look as good . I always said he was a bottom pairing dman. But in Montreal we pay guys like that 4M over 6 years. Thanks, Gauthier.
He played #2 minutes last year on a crappy team against top lines and was still a + player, how do you explain that given your ridiculous statement?

"But now he has a 6 year $4M contract and is playing tougher minutes. He doesn't look as good"

Old
06-13-2013, 09:08 PM
Forsead

I thought the trade was about Drewiske and saw alot of Gorges talk .

I don't like this move, if we are getting a 7th dman instead of using the kids, go get a Carkner type of guy, not Drewiske that isn't a better player and doesn't bring a good physical element to his game.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 09:11 PM
Ezpz
No mad pls

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post

I don't like this move, if we are getting a 7th dman instead of using the kids, go get a Carkner type of guy, not Drewiske that isn't a better player and doesn't bring a good physical element to his game.
You get a Carkner guy as your 8th, who you only dress vs teams like Boston. Drewiske is a 7 who can step in and play minutes vs anyone without making too many mistakes. Not a complete liability on the ice like a goon.

Ezpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 09:25 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezpz View Post
He excelled last season as a #2 dman for 82 games. Josh may have had a bad year but he's certainly not a bottom pairing dman.
Ah yes...Gorges is a top pairing dman now.

You know, there's nothing wrong with being a bottom pairing dman. He is a good #5. Any team that has him in their top 4 is...well....the Canadiens.

Old
06-13-2013, 09:28 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
He played #2 minutes last year on a crappy team against top lines and was still a + player, how do you explain that given your ridiculous statement?

"But now he has a 6 year $4M contract and is playing tougher minutes. He doesn't look as good"

He looked good in a shot blocking, passive system. Of course. But in the type of system we have now, he's poor. Maybe we should go get Torts!

And "good" is probably not the right word since he still can't clear the net, is not physical, gets creamed along the boards, has 0 ability with the puck...but he blocks shots and is good in the room. LOCK HIM UP!

Old
06-13-2013, 09:28 PM
Bullsmith

Hard to get excited about this. Meh signing at best. Hope he's a 7-8. But obviously management sees something there I haven't. Hope they're right. On the plus side they got a decent look at him, and he's pretty damn cheap. Problem is he plays that way.

Bruce

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 09:37 PM
otto bond

Quote:

Full of fail.

Gorges is as good as guys like Oduya and Ference palying top 4 minutes, go ask any NHL GM if he is average.
Well put. HAd we had a more balanced defensive core with depth, Gorges would have had a better year and you right on the money in terms of comparison
Quote:

You know, there's nothing wrong with being a bottom pairing dman. He is a good #5. Any team that has him in their top 4 is...well....the Canadiens.
Gorges can play 20-22 minutes a night, call it 4,5 or 6 in the depth chart, IMO, Gorges is a solid Dman. I would go on and say that I prefer him closer to 20 minutes a night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
Hard to get excited about this. Meh signing at best. Hope he's a 7-8. But obviously management sees something there I haven't. Hope they're right. On the plus side they got a decent look at him, and he's pretty damn cheap. Problem is he plays that way.

Bruce
You need depth and a player like him are definatly replaceable, but first you need to sign some one for that role and montreal just did that. Nothing to go about or even complane about.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 09:41 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezpz View Post
You get a Carkner guy as your 8th, who you only dress vs teams like Boston. Drewiske is a 7 who can step in and play minutes vs anyone without making too many mistakes. Not a complete liability on the ice like a goon.
I don't agree with you first IMO Carkner is a better hockey player than Drewiske AND a more physical player, I don't think you watched him play enough, he can even be a 6th on some teams. I have a pretty low opinion on Drewiske.

Old
06-13-2013, 10:19 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

I don't hate Drewinske or anything but this is a meh signing as far as im concerned.

There was no need to give him 2 years

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 10:21 PM
hockeyman*

Quote:
I don't agree with you first IMO Carkner is a better hockey player than Drewiske AND a more physical player, I don't think you watched him play enough, he can even be a 6th on some teams. I have a pretty low opinion on Drewiske.

enough said bud.

would love to see your encyclopedia selection of Drewiske.

hockeyman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 10:23 PM
Habiton

I fail to see how this is bad and why people are complaining. He signed as a player riding the pine, when he plays he is a no frills NHL defenseman. Safe to out him out there but unspectacular and that's exactly what you want out of a 7th. A guy you can trust with a regular shift. The reason he started struggling was when they played him like a 4th with Markov, he wasn't prepared and isn't at a level to be effective against that skill level.

If you want to talk about Gorges go to the gorges thread, this is about Drewskie who is a good guy that might be able to teach the young ones what being humble and grateful can add to your game.

I'm happy.

Habiton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 10:25 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyman View Post
enough said bud.

would love to see your encyclopedia selection of Drewiske.
Since I watch games in the west around 20-25 games.

He reminds me of Jay Leach, a guy with good tools, but doesn't seems to be able to get all together and has some troubles with consistency. Both of them have been journeymens defensemens, play a mistake free style and probably would have been more regular on their teams if they would have played a physical effective brand of hockey, especially since they both have good size. Drewiske is a better skater though.

Not bad options as far as 7th d are concerned, but IMO if you look at the best teams they have better guys and with a team challenged physically it could have been a good way to help.

It could be that you really think that he's a better hockey player than Carkner and that's your opinion, but I said a Matt Carkner type. It could be Shane O'brien, Andrew Alberts, or someone else.

Last edited by Forsead: 06-13-2013 at 10:39 PM.
Old
06-13-2013, 10:33 PM
HCH

Quote:

Full of fail.

You are banging your head against the wall. Some guys will never get it but lots of us agree with you. Let them stew in their own dissatisfaction and be content that we have Gorges.

I know he frustrated me at times... but then again all players do from time to time. In the long run he is an asset that I am happy to have.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 11:11 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

What they did find in this player? I hope he's not the model of what Bergevin is looking for as far as players. Cause we're gonna have Gainey/Gauthier Take 2 on our hands.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 01:36 AM
Roulin

IMO Drewiske is ok as an 8D, but I'm not thrilled about some of the implications. Does this mean that both Tinordi and Bouillon start in the top 6? Therrien preferred both to Dru by the end of the season... or does it mean that we'll start with 13F & 8D, instead of 14F & 7D? Usually that makes sense to me, but unless Kristo is for real, we'll have significantly more decent callup possibilities at D than at F. Or maybe Tinordi will start in Hamilton anyway?

I guess right now the depth chart looks something like (by depth, not pairings), unless room is made for Tinordi:

Markov-Subban
Gorges-Emelin
Bouillon-Diaz
Drewiske-Weber
Tinordi-Nygren
Beaulieu

...after Subban & Markov, that's more crowded than it is good. I'm anxious to see what comes next.

Last edited by Roulin: 06-14-2013 at 01:43 AM.
Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 01:55 AM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

trade coming up ?

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 04:27 AM
JohnnyB11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
IMO Drewiske is ok as an 8D, but I'm not thrilled about some of the implications. Does this mean that both Tinordi and Bouillon start in the top 6? Therrien preferred both to Dru by the end of the season... or does it mean that we'll start with 13F & 8D, instead of 14F & 7D? Usually that makes sense to me, but unless Kristo is for real, we'll have significantly more decent callup possibilities at D than at F. Or maybe Tinordi will start in Hamilton anyway?

I guess right now the depth chart looks something like (by depth, not pairings), unless room is made for Tinordi:

Markov-Subban
Gorges-Emelin
Bouillon-Diaz
Drewiske-Weber
Tinordi-Nygren
Beaulieu

...after Subban & Markov, that's more crowded than it is good. I'm anxious to see what comes next.
You're getting WAY ahead of yourself here, trying to figure out what this means to the opening day lineup. You need to let the summer unfold before worrying about signing Drewiske to a cheap contract.

JohnnyB11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 07:14 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

The only way I can see this is 44DD was insurance. Have more defensive depth and hope the kids continue to develop. If they do and look ready for the NHL next year, then with Bouillon's contract hopefully being up we can trade 44DD for at least the 5th round pick we gave up for him. More than likely a 3rd with a year left on his contract.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 07:17 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampollock View Post
not to physical though, but he has good attitude
People have an obsession with physical defensemen. Drewiske is a guy that will take the body to separate a guy from the puck, contrary to what some on here might think teams don't have 3-4 Emelins, most teams don't even have one. Even guys like Chra that have big time size don't go out and try and run everybody over, because they play 25 minutes a night and have to manage their energy.

Quote:

Carkner will want a lot more than 600k and a #7 or 8 role. It will be a Lapierre situation, puttinga guy in a role he isn't happy with.

Quote:

You seem to have no clue about the NHL do you? Do you think NHL teams have Shea Webers Duncan Keiths and Drew Doughty's as their #4 d-men? Gorges is solid for a #3 and above average for a #4. Go look at NHL rosters and minutes played.

Quote:
He looked good in a shot blocking, passive system. Of course. But in the type of system we have now, he's poor. Maybe we should go get Torts!

And "good" is probably not the right word since he still can't clear the net, is not physical, gets creamed along the boards, has 0 ability with the puck...but he blocks shots and is good in the room. LOCK HIM UP!
He plays mistake free hockey, he covers his man, uses his body despite not being huge and is good at KEEPING PUCKS OUT OF OUR NET? It's that one of the two objectives of hockey? Score goals at one end and stop them at the other?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habiton View Post
I fail to see how this is bad and why people are complaining. He signed as a player riding the pine, when he plays he is a no frills NHL defenseman. Safe to out him out there but unspectacular and that's exactly what you want out of a 7th. A guy you can trust with a regular shift. The reason he started struggling was when they played him like a 4th with Markov, he wasn't prepared and isn't at a level to be effective against that skill level.

If you want to talk about Gorges go to the gorges thread, this is about Drewskie who is a good guy that might be able to teach the young ones what being humble and grateful can add to your game.

I'm happy.
Plus from what I saw last year, though he was only getting his feet wet in Montreal, he showed good instincts with and without the puck.

Quote:
Since I watch games in the west around 20-25 games.

He reminds me of Jay Leach, a guy with good tools, but doesn't seems to be able to get all together and has some troubles with consistency. Both of them have been journeymens defensemens, play a mistake free style and probably would have been more regular on their teams if they would have played a physical effective brand of hockey, especially since they both have good size. Drewiske is a better skater though.

Not bad options as far as 7th d are concerned, but IMO if you look at the best teams they have better guys and with a team challenged physically it could have been a good way to help.

It could be that you really think that he's a better hockey player than Carkner and that's your opinion, but I said a Matt Carkner type. It could be Shane O'brien, Andrew Alberts, or someone else.
Guys like Carnker and O'brien want a lot more than 650k a year and want top 6 ice time. Comparing apples and oranges.

Edit: Carkner signed for 2 years and 3 mil with the Islanders last year. O'brien signed for 2 years and 4 mil.

Last edited by Monctonscout: 06-14-2013 at 07:24 AM.
Old
06-14-2013, 07:19 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
The only way I can see this is 44DD was insurance. Have more defensive depth and hope the kids continue to develop. If they do and look ready for the NHL next year, then with Bouillon's contract hopefully being up we can trade 44DD for at least the 5th round pick we gave up for him. More than likely a 3rd with a year left on his contract.
Even in the worst of cases that he completely flops, being under 900k, he can be sent to Hamilton with no cap hit, so zero risk.

As you said, I'd rather have him or Bouillon sitting than Tinordi Beaulieu Nygren etc