HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Flyers sign Mark Streit to a multi-year deal [4 yrs, $21m; $5.25 AAV] (post #1)

Closed Thread

Old
06-13-2013, 12:51 PM
Psuhockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahthorne View Post
Anybody else still have a bad feeling that Holmgren still has Couturier/whoever he's been dangling on the block? In hopes to get a #1 winger or even Keith Yandle? I've got a knot in my stomach and I'm sure it won't go away all offseason...
I don't think the Flyers are done, but I think Yandle is off the board. Streit is exactly the same as Yandle in that they are both left-handed PMDs playing mostly a offensive role. With Timonen on the roster already, I doubt they are going to add a thrid one of those at over $5 mil a year.

Old
06-13-2013, 12:52 PM
Psuhockey

I think the Flyers could definitely make a push to move up in the draft and get one of the big forwards. No real insight, just a hunch.

Old
06-13-2013, 12:54 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
I think the Flyers could definitely make a push to move up in the draft and get one of the big forwards. No real insight, just a hunch.
Gut feeling, but I'm thinking that if the Flyers are going big in the draft, they're going to Samuel Morin.

Old
06-13-2013, 12:58 PM
BernieParent
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Well if you look at his splits through last year and even the year before, he still gives you big time minutes.

This year he averaged 18:15 per game on even strength play.
This year he averages 3:45 per game(PP QB, we need one desperately for the 2nd PP unit)
Even as a terrible defenseman which he has been portrayed as he averages 1:20 on the PK this year.
TTOI-23:20

Now the year before he had almost the same numbers.

Even strength ice per game was at 18:57
PP time per game was at 3:42
SH time was actually less at 0:42 per game.
TTOI-23:22

People see he was a minus and instantly think he is a horrible player. Pair him with a player like Grossmann or Coburn and let Streit do his thing, and we shouldn't worry about him. Streit will help this team move the puck out of our zone and contribute big points from the back end. We need this desperately. He has a great first pass and a good shot from the back. He also provides leadership, which we always need.

I have never seen a 3rd pairing defender play 23 mins a night. Seems like some Islander fans and other teams fans are just trolling anything and everything Flyers related. But that's not new.
Thanks, Prongo and others, for your responses. Sure, I'm taking the input from the fans of Streit's previous employer with a grain of salt, but his recent injury history is still food for thought. I'm just hoping for a sensible allotment of ice time from Laviolette to maximize each defensive pairing's output while not overburdening any one of them.

Old
06-13-2013, 01:00 PM
BernieParent
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
Good God, I made the Bill Meltzer appreciation thread in the Trade Forum on accident. MODS!
Let me guess, posters immediately called Meltzer overrated and a 3rd-liner at best, and offered a 4th + mediocre prospect for him. Then they started arguing among themselves about how valuable that 4th pick is and started asking for Voracek for the same offer.

Old
06-13-2013, 01:02 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Let me guess, posters immediately called Meltzer overrated and a 3rd-liner at best, and offered a 4th + mediocre prospect for him. Then they started arguing among themselves about how valuable that 4th pick is and started asking for Voracek for the same offer.
I was able to pull it to safety in time.

06-13-2013, 01:09 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Gut feeling, but I'm thinking that if the Flyers are going big in the draft, they're going to Samuel Morin.
As long as they trade down to get him, that would be fine by me. I like the idea of going after Erixon if Columbus was willing to part with him in a trade of picks scenario.

Old
06-13-2013, 01:11 PM
BernieParent
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I was able to pull it to safety in time.
News Item:
Hero Moderator Rescues Internet

Wayward hockey thread "could have been devastating to the IQ of the entire planet"

Old
06-13-2013, 01:15 PM
dr robbie
Let's Go Pens!

Good signing by the Flyers. Streit played very well in the Pens series this year and he looks as though he has a few years left in the tank. His slapper from the point... is very nice.

Old
06-13-2013, 01:15 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
News Item:
Hero Moderator Rescues Internet

Wayward hockey thread "could have been devastating to the IQ of the entire planet"
I'm sure thankful to Beef though. I completely blew it and he rescued me. *dreamy eyes* Do I make a Beef Invictus appreciation thread now? Probably.

Old
06-13-2013, 01:19 PM
BernieParent
HFB Partner

Quote:
I'm sure thankful to Beef though. I completely blew it and he rescued me. *dreamy eyes* Do I make a Beef Invictus appreciation thread now? Probably.
Start it on the Penguins board.

Old
06-13-2013, 01:21 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

You couldn't leave the post there for a couple more hours and add a passage describing the downfall of intelligence in modern society strictly based on the rumored availability of young Flyers' forwards?

It seems every summer we create mass hysteria in the hockey world without meaning to. I would blame us for being so good at collecting forwards, but in reality, the fault lies in the masses.

Old
06-13-2013, 01:26 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Haha Chris.

If the masses had a collective mind, I think they see the Flyers as this stereotype (without investigation, of course):

1) Possibly going to RFA your favorite player
2) Headed by an aggressive-trading GM
3) Goonsquad
4) Rinaldo
5) Bounty of forwards to try to swindle your GM into a bad trade
6) Too much money (small market team annoyance)
7) Same people that pelted Santa Claus

Old
06-13-2013, 01:42 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
Haha Chris.

If the masses had a collective mind, I think they see the Flyers as this stereotype (without investigation, of course):

1) Possibly going to RFA your favorite player
2) Headed by an aggressive-trading GM
3) Goonsquad
4) Rinaldo
5) Bounty of forwards to try to swindle your GM into a bad trade
6) Too much money (small market team annoyance)
7) Same people that pelted Santa Claus
You forgot that we have to trade all our star forwards for scraps because we are billions over the cap.

Old
06-13-2013, 02:15 PM
3Fs

Of all the possible routes that they could of taking, I am very pleased with this trade. I'm hoping for 3 years at 5mil per. Any more years I think would be a mistake but a few more dollars, I believe would be no big deal.

I still think they have something in the works. I just hope the don't blow up team to get that piece that I feel is coming.

I just hope the piece I feel that is still coming can win some freakin faceoffs.

Old
06-13-2013, 03:00 PM
jabba2
Just say no to Clowe

Hopefully no longer than 3 years. Streit will take over Timmonen's role as #1 PP defensman when Kimmo retires after this season. Streit also gives the Flyers a badly needed 2nd puck mover. Turning 36 in December, Streit will only have a few good years left himself. The downdside is the team still doesnt want to rely on Gustafsson as a top 4 Dman. Maybe they want to groom him into the role another year.

Old
06-13-2013, 03:03 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba2 View Post
Hopefully no longer than 3 years. Streit will take over Timmonen's role as #1 PP defensman when Kimmo retires after this season. Streit also gives the Flyers a badly needed 2nd puck mover. Turning 36 in December, Streit will only have a few good years left himself. The downdside is the team still doesnt want to rely on Gustafsson as a top 4 Dman. Maybe they want to groom him into the role another year.
There is also the possibilty that the organization doesn't not think he is good enough to be groomed for that role. I know the majority of people here think he already is a top 4 defenseman, but it is possibile that you may be off-base with this analysis...

Old
06-13-2013, 04:29 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

I believe that it is imperative that either Gus can step into the #2 PMD role by '14-15season, or they find/obtain one by then... When Kimmo leaves the Flyers fall back to where they were this past season in the PMD situation... only IMO a bit worse off.

The Flyers are going to be hurting when Kimmo retires in more ways that moving the puck from the backline... Kimmo is a warrior, even with his diminutive size, and Gus will never be that... plus Kimmo can excel on both size of the puck, and Streit will never be that... I see the Flyers in World of hurt after this season and will have to pick up the slack by committee... unless they can obtain that true #1 who is a sturdy warrior who laces them up every game -- come Hell or high water -- and can play every situation, leads and leads the D.

I believe that Homer is not done, and he will move a young asset for the player... if not this OffSeason, that surely the following one... and I can't say that I disagree with that, IF the right player is obtained.

Weber would have cured many ills had Nashville passed... and IMO if Pronger was not lost, the situation is not nearly as dire right now... As I see it, anyway.

Old
06-13-2013, 04:49 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
I believe that it is imperative that either Gus can step into the #2 PMD role by '14-15season, or they find/obtain one by then... When Kimmo leaves the Flyers fall back to where they were this past season in the PMD situation... only IMO a bit worse off.

The Flyers are going to be hurting when Kimmo retires in more ways that moving the puck from the backline... Kimmo is a warrior, even with his diminutive size, and Gus will never be that... plus Kimmo can excel on both size of the puck, and Streit will never be that... I see the Flyers in World of hurt after this season and will have to pick up the slack by committee... unless they can obtain that true #1 who is a sturdy warrior who laces them up every game -- come Hell or high water -- and can play every situation, leads and leads the D.

I believe that Homer is not done, and he will move a young asset for the player... if not this OffSeason, that surely the following one... and I can't say that I disagree with that, IF the right player is obtained.
I'm not sure Gus will be that warrior either, but keep in mind that he's still filling out and getting stronger - and Kimmo the Sturdy hadn't even come over here yet at Gus' age.... There is some time, but not that much.

If we need a D next year, Homer will find one.

Old
06-13-2013, 05:22 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
I'm not sure Gus will be that warrior either, but keep in mind that he's still filling out and getting stronger - and Kimmo the Sturdy hadn't even come over here yet at Gus' age.... There is some time, but not that much.

If we need a D next year, Homer will find one.
IMO Gus may eventually get a nice O game going... but he doesn't have that 6'5" player in a 5'10" body that Kimmo has, and probably never will... he isn't going to get in there and take on the big forward, and skate away battered but victorious like Kimmo does. I hope I'm wrong, but you either have it or you don't... no matter how much time given him.

Kimmo before his injury a couple seasons back was an Iron Man and played through everything... nothing took him out of the lineup... He still plays through most everything, but is more banged up than he used to be... age cannot be avoided.

I like Gus, but the point where I see him falling short is his size... and his inability to play 7 inches or so larger... Kimmo's 'guts' has made him as great as he's been in the NHL... Frankly I wish he and his bud Kapanen can put their heads together and bottle it, or teach how to do it... but I think it just comes down to having a heart much bigger than their body normally contains... I find it interesting that Kimmo and Kappy both had 'it'... But I digress LOL.

And, I agree Homer will find a way to find one.

Last edited by Sawdalite: 06-13-2013 at 05:27 PM.
Old
06-13-2013, 06:17 PM
Appleyard

vCash: 365
Quote:
IMO Gus may eventually get a nice O game going... but he doesn't have that 6'5" player in a 5'10" body that Kimmo has, and probably never will... he isn't going to get in there and take on the big forward, and skate away battered but victorious like Kimmo does. I hope I'm wrong, but you either have it or you don't... no matter how much time given him.

Kimmo before his injury a couple seasons back was an Iron Man and played through everything... nothing took him out of the lineup... He still plays through most everything, but is more banged up than he used to be... age cannot be avoided.

I like Gus, but the point where I see him falling short is his size... and his inability to play 7 inches or so larger... Kimmo's 'guts' has made him as great as he's been in the NHL... Frankly I wish he and his bud Kapanen can put their heads together and bottle it, or teach how to do it... but I think it just comes down to having a heart much bigger than their body normally contains... I find it interesting that Kimmo and Kappy both had 'it'... But I digress LOL.

And, I agree Homer will find a way to find one.
It is the 'Sisu' that the majority of them have and is integral to their culture... keeping going against all odds... I always heard Finns joke that if you do not have it you are a Russian or a Swede!

Knowing quite a few Finns and spending quite a bit of time in Finland I swear it is just built into the peoples psych! Look at the Finns up and down the NHL, a lot of them are warrior types who do not give up!

I suppose you have to have that to fight both the Nazis and the Russians during the 2nd world war... and still not lose, and somehow retain sovereignty against the Ruskies. During the winter war the Finns killed 4 Russians for every 1 man they lost.

Old
06-13-2013, 06:23 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

Hopefully they can sign him to a MAX of 3 years. A nice stop-gap for the Flyers as it gives them a little time to figure out the future of the defense.

I really want to see them develop 1-2 solid top 4 d-men in the next 3-4 years. Highly doubt it will happen, but we shall see..

Old
06-13-2013, 06:31 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
It is the 'Sisu' that the majority of them have and is integral to their culture... keeping going against all odds... I always heard Finns joke that if you do not have it you are a Russian or a Swede!

Knowing quite a few Finns and spending quite a bit of time in Finland I swear it is just built into the peoples psych! Look at the Finns up and down the NHL, a lot of them are warrior types who do not give up!

I suppose you have to have that to fight both the Nazis and the Russians during the 2nd world war... and still not lose, and somehow retain sovereignty against the Ruskies. During the winter war the Finns killed 4 Russians for every 1 man they lost.
Great take on that... makes sense to me... I wouldn't mind Homer getting some more Finns in O&B.

Old
06-13-2013, 09:22 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Fair points about Kimmo, but Gus is winning me over. He really played well down the stretch, and clearly impressed his coach at the WC, since he played loads of minutes. He has come a long way, from a smurf D in Sweden to a U.S. college, undrafted he's on the verge of becoming an NHL regular full t ime. That does show some drive and determination.

Old
06-13-2013, 09:31 PM
Prestige Worldwide
Rookie User

Gus is clearly ready to take the next step and solidify himself as an NHL regular this coming year. Where he goes from there is anyone's guess but I think he and Grossmann are going to make a hell of a third pairing come October.

Closed Thread