HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Rogers Arena upgrades

Old
05-17-2013, 05:58 PM
kes20

vCash: 500
Rogers Arena upgrades

Aquilini is currently building tower 1 of 3 which will connect to Rogers Arena. This will expand the concourse and add additional washrooms/food areas. Does anyone know if the retail part of the building (first 3 floors) will include a sports bar similar to other arenas? Seems like it would be a great opportunity for Aquilini to capitalize on the before/after game crowd. Why give all the business to Shark Club and other surrounding bars when you have the ability to build one right beside the stadium.

Also, was curious to see how these new buildings will affect the future of Rogers Arena. The building is now 18 years old and you would have to think that with the buildings now attached the arena, it would make it difficult to ever tear down the arena. They may just need to do major upgrades in the future similar to what Madison square garden has done.

kes20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 06:03 PM
Ziostilon

Rogers Arena is in a great location right now. It's not like you can tear it down and build another at the same location

Ziostilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 09:33 PM
CanaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kes20 View Post
Aquilini is currently building tower 1 of 3 which will connect to Rogers Arena. This will expand the concourse and add additional washrooms/food areas. Does anyone know if the retail part of the building (first 3 floors) will include a sports bar similar to other arenas? Seems like it would be a great opportunity for Aquilini to capitalize on the before/after game crowd. Why give all the business to Shark Club and other surrounding bars when you have the ability to build one right beside the stadium.

Also, was curious to see how these new buildings will affect the future of Rogers Arena. The building is now 18 years old and you would have to think that with the buildings now attached the arena, it would make it difficult to ever tear down the arena. They may just need to do major upgrades in the future similar to what Madison square garden has done.
Don't know the answer sorry but my firm did some consulting for the Aquilini Group on the positioning for the entire development. Their agency was testing 3 concepts - one was a Sports theme, one was a Nightlife theme, and one was a Heart of the City theme. The research we did showed the Sports theme tested the best with prospective buyers, so *if* they follow in that direction I have to imagine that some of the commercial space would go to sports-related food and entertainment. Course just speculation on my part, the drawback of consulting is you rarely get to be part of the final execution ...

CanaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 10:15 PM
Verviticus

vCash: 695
what does a 'heart of the city theme' mean?

Verviticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 10:30 PM
Adikt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verviticus View Post
Maybe similar to what LA has with Staples Center is what I'd speculate? It's got a nice terrace across the street that is enclosed by the Ritz and some other restaurants and whatnot. On event nights (3 times more from their sports teams vs ours) it's a pretty lively area especially with the searchlights going.

Not sure how Rogers Arena would be able to do it just based on the location itself. Would require a lot of construction imo and integrate Edgewater a tad better. Costco being it's closest neighbour probably dampens that feel a tad.

Adikt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 10:32 PM
CanaFan

Quote:

IIRC (it was a few months ago), it was about living in the "heart" of Vancouver (i.e. in the Crosstown district). Concepts were light on detail but focussed on emotion by showing people watching street events, farmers markets, street food, buskers, the water taxis, beautiful views of the mountains and false creek. Was designed to attract people who want to be in the in the thick of urban life, as opposed to the sports theme and nightlife theme of the other two concepts.

*I should have clarified, these were marketing/creative concepts, not the actual design of the development. That is why I said I have no idea if the design would include sports bars, just that it made sense that they would incorporate some space to accompany their chosen branding (though I just double checked and it was actually the Heart of the City that tested best, not the Sports theme)...

Old
05-17-2013, 10:39 PM
luongo321

vCash: 50
Does anyone know how earthquake-proof arenas are made? Just curious, especially in Vancouver.

luongo321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 11:07 PM
Verviticus

vCash: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanaFan View Post
IIRC (it was a few months ago), it was about living in the "heart" of Vancouver (i.e. in the Crosstown district). Concepts were light on detail but focussed on emotion by showing people watching street events, farmers markets, street food, buskers, the water taxis, beautiful views of the mountains and false creek. Was designed to attract people who want to be in the in the thick of urban life, as opposed to the sports theme and nightlife theme of the other two concepts.
ah thanks, that's pretty interesting.

Quote:
*I should have clarified, these were marketing/creative concepts, not the actual design of the development. That is why I said I have no idea if the design would include sports bars, just that it made sense that they would incorporate some space to accompany their chosen branding
you mean the testing was based on which one would be easiest/most effective to advertise rather than which one would literally be accepted the best post-construction?

Verviticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 11:44 PM
Stories Tales Lies
and Exaggerations

Quote:
Originally Posted by luongo321 View Post
Does anyone know how earthquake-proof arenas are made? Just curious, especially in Vancouver.
They put it on a big rubber foundation
There are buildings like that by the way...

Stories Tales Lies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2013, 11:55 PM
VeteranNetPresence
Hey, Orpheus!

looks like nearest one is where the expansion of the concourse is

VeteranNetPresence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2013, 12:16 AM
CanaFan

Quote:
ah thanks, that's pretty interesting.

you mean the testing was based on which one would be easiest/most effective to advertise rather than which one would literally be accepted the best post-construction?

Ya, most effective concept with prospective buyers (25-35, $100k+ HHI, etc). Measured things like noticeability, uniqueness, memorability, personal relevance, etc. All 3 tested well, but one tested sig. better on most of those dimensions ...

Old
06-13-2013, 10:33 PM
kes20

There is a new "Canucks Bar and Grill" opening at YVR airport in August. I wonder if the 2nd location will be a part of the new Aquilini development by Rogers Arena. I can't think of a better spot than this for this type of sports bar that is branded under the Canucks name.

kes20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 03:27 PM
Apple Juice

I wonder how much rent would be per month to live in one of those towers

Apple Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 03:33 PM
Free Torts

vCash: 883
Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Juice View Post
Probably going to be mostly bought up by offshore speculators but I reckon in that location, it'll be pretty steep.

Free Torts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 03:40 PM
Evil Edler
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkP View Post
Probably going to be mostly bought up by offshore speculators but I reckon in that location, it'll be pretty steep.
If renting, places like this are usually more expensive the higher you go.

Evil Edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 04:07 PM
Spectrefire

I've always thought some sort of joint sports themed integration with BC Place would've been ideal for both arenas.

Spectrefire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 09:04 PM
Apple Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkP View Post
But what if you're paying for a monthly rent and living only on.... let's say the 7th floor or something.. Not too high, not a great view

Apple Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 09:18 PM
JBIZ14

$2500+ / month

JBIZ14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 09:19 PM
MarkMM

I was working with someone involved with PAVCO (the government body that owns BC Place) and if you recall during the election there was talk about the idea of selling BC Place to private interests. It had been discussed privately recently (before the election) and the proposals included turning the area around BC Place/near GM Place into something similar to LA Live, make it a community hub people come down to as a destination.

MarkMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 09:24 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kes20 View Post

That just seems so wrong.

Want 10 years to feel like one month?

Have kids.

Eddy Punch Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 09:30 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
There was an email sent out to Canuck season ticket holders where they are also adding additional seating and indeed opening a new restaurant in the tower which won't have any sight line to the game.

The tower currently being added is going to make the concourse bigger and there will also be new seats behind the home goalie.

LiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 09:38 PM
DJOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Juice View Post
My guess...1br = $1, 400; 2br = $2, 200; 3br = 3,400... same as everywhere else in the neighbourhood...I'd rather be on Marinaside Cr than at the arena.

Depends more on size than anything else.

DJOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 09:40 PM
ZKass The Bass

Cheaper ****ing prices

ZKass The Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 09:42 PM
Spectrefire

Would it make sense for ownership set aside a couple of suites for call-up players and Canucks use?

Spectrefire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 09:52 PM
JAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrefire View Post
Would it make sense for ownership set aside a couple of suites for call-up players and Canucks use?
I'm pretty sure it will be part of the plan.

Or as a group buy share thing from rest of the league. Why let hotels near by make those profits from other teams?

These suites would still be in use for ALL events at the Arena as well.

JAK is offline   Reply With Quote