HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mark Messier

Closed Thread

Old
01-05-2004, 02:35 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

vCash: 500
Mark Messier

IF it's true that we could've signed him in the off-season, and that is a big if, I really think they're regretting it now. 23 points so far this year and offensive player of the week. If we coulda got him for an Oates-esque salary, woulda been a HUGE pickup. Not only on the ice, but off the ice with the young forwards, and for the future behind the bench.

Old
01-05-2004, 03:18 PM
Oi'll say!

I heard more than once that he was only interested in playing for the Rangers.

Old
01-05-2004, 03:30 PM
metallicat
@metallicat51

HIndsight is always 20/20...no telling how he would have played here.

Old
01-05-2004, 03:56 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
IF it's true that we could've signed him in the off-season, and that is a big if, I really think they're regretting it now. 23 points so far this year and offensive player of the week. If we coulda got him for an Oates-esque salary, woulda been a HUGE pickup. Not only on the ice, but off the ice with the young forwards, and for the future behind the bench.
Rumours were the Oilers tried, but he only wanted to play for the Rangers.

Old
01-05-2004, 07:06 PM
mamettt

messier is a pathetic leader and a pathetic hockey player who should retire at his age. He's NHL offensive player of the week because he gets 20 mintues a night, doesn't backcheck, and refuses to admit that he is no longer near the player he once was. Oh, and the rangers are totally out of a playoff spot. Yeah, some pickup he would have been

Old
01-05-2004, 08:18 PM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamettt
messier is a pathetic leader and a pathetic hockey player who should retire at his age. He's NHL offensive player of the week because he gets 20 mintues a night, doesn't backcheck, and refuses to admit that he is no longer near the player he once was. Oh, and the rangers are totally out of a playoff spot. Yeah, some pickup he would have been
Well I gotta say the Rags aren't that far out of a playoff spot, but boy Calgary layed down the smack tonight

Old
01-05-2004, 08:42 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
23 pts in 37 games, 13 goals, ATOI about 16 minutes, +6.

I can't really see how this wouldn't be an improvement over at least some of the guys we have.

I thought they should've made a bigger push to sign him, at the time as a depth guy.

Old
01-06-2004, 12:17 AM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Hey, who needs the truth when you can just make whatever outrageous statement you want and hope nobody bothers to check up on it.

Hmm, well Messier actually plays barely 16 minutes a game (16.2) and as for his no-back checking, strangely he's a plus-5 on a lousy Ranger team. Oates plays a measly 40 seconds less then him a game. But he's a minus. And can't get any points at all. For that matter NONE of the Oilers centers are even comprable in terms of production and output.

Messier is playing very well, he's obviously a great leader and his defensive play is quite commendable.

To say that the Oilers picking up a center who could log 16 minutes a game, be a plus player and produce 20 points would be a lousy pick up is just plain ignorant.

Old
01-06-2004, 05:48 AM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox
For that matter NONE of the Oilers centers are even comprable in terms of production and output.
Ummm....have you ever heard of Mike York?

Old
01-06-2004, 06:36 AM
PineJockey

Quote:
A little extreme don't you think? So what if he isn't the player he used to be. Neither is Hull, Kariya, Yzerman, Modano, Lemieux, Larionov, etc. That doesn't mean they are not valuable players. It is a bit ridiculous to call someone with 13 goals and 10 assists "pathetic". As for leadership . . . are you basing your comments on anything in particular or just venting?

Old
01-06-2004, 07:43 AM
Oil_in_my_veins

Quote:
pathetic leader, pathetic player??? please.
I'm guessing the only time you've ever seen him play is in the Heritage Classic.

Old
01-06-2004, 10:15 AM
mamettt

Pulleezze. As beautiful as his stats are, ask any group of ranger fans, and the majority of them will tell you he is a detriment to that organization. Given the fact that I live in new york and watch the rangers daily probably means I've seen enough of messier to know what I'm talking about. Sather gives him top line minutes, even when he is in no condition to play, and messier gobbles them up without thinking about the best interests of the team. He is holding not one but three centers back who are younger and better than he is (lindros, holik, nedved) so he can put up decent stats without any grit or backchecking to back it up. Sather rags on other players, lindros most notably, but never touches king mess. Messier, if he was a true leader, would see that the only way the rangers are going to make the playoffs and become a dominant team again is if lindros and holik lead them their. But no, king mess doesn't like to admit that at 43 years of age, while he may be able to cherry pick and still shoot a wrist shot, he is no shape to be anything more than a fourth line center due to his lack of grit, his lack of defense, and the physical punishment his body takes. As for his pretty +/-, hemsky was a + 5 last year, but I hardly think anybody would call him a defensive gem. +/- is a misleading, often times mis-represented statstic. Try watching some ranger games.

For his selfish play, his lack of respect for the game and his place in it, for his tarnishing his reputation(an entire generation of hockey fans have had to see a hobbled, watered version of a once great player), for his tremendous ego, and for his lack of respect for the ranger organization, he is a pathetic hockey player and a pathetic leader.

Old
01-06-2004, 03:40 PM
edmontonoilers89

So because a player loves the game he plays he shows a lack of respect for it? Explain that to me.

And why should he care who he tarnished his reputation to? So because Steve Yzerman isn't producing like he did in the early 90's I should have less respect for him? What kind of logic is that.

Closed Thread