HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Hemsky to Ottawa

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-13-2013, 08:10 PM
  #76
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan
 
saskriders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Calgary/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,421
vCash: 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by FightingIrish17 View Post
What would it take? Edmonton is loaded with prospects if that helps.
Not really interested in anyone other than MPS, Klefbaum, or guys we obviously aren't getting. I would be more willing to trade Gryba then Weir

saskriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 08:37 PM
  #77
SpezDispenser
Registered User
 
SpezDispenser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 14,357
vCash: 500
Not sure Hemsky's the kind of rental we should be spending a Smith or Wiercioch or Gryna on. I'm not saying Hemsky's not good or worth having, but spending on a rental, especially another injury prone guy, is a risk that I have to question personally.

SpezDispenser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 08:39 PM
  #78
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy
 
MAK19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Madrid
Posts: 13,350
vCash: 500
Problems with Hemsky:

1-UFA next summer

2-Injury prone and very unlikely to play a full season

3-This is one is the main reason why it doesn't make sense for Ottawa. The Sens could throw $5M at someone in free agency and that player will be better than Hemsky, healthier than Hemsky and will not cost any assets.


Therefore, acquiring Hemsky makes no sense for Ottawa. Or any team for that matter, at least until UFA is over.



I mean, take Valterri Filppula for instance. If Filppula was offered $5M per year, he would take it. IMO. He won't get more than that. Well it would make a lot more sense to give that to Filppula then trade assets for Hemsky.

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 08:48 PM
  #79
Security Guard Chang*
Chang's Army
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Greendale
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,853
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
Problems with Hemsky:

1-UFA next summer

2-Injury prone and very unlikely to play a full season

3-This is one is the main reason why it doesn't make sense for Ottawa. The Sens could throw $5M at someone in free agency and that player will be better than Hemsky, healthier than Hemsky and will not cost any assets.


Therefore, acquiring Hemsky makes no sense for Ottawa. Or any team for that matter, at least until UFA is over.



I mean, take Valterri Filppula for instance. If Filppula was offered $5M per year, he would take it. IMO. He won't get more than that. Well it would make a lot more sense to give that to Filppula then trade assets for Hemsky.


I agree, we can get much safer players from UFA for 5 mill , Hemsky would be a great plan c though.

Security Guard Chang* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 08:53 PM
  #80
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid
 
Benny FTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,116
vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
Problems with Hemsky:

1-UFA next summer

2-Injury prone and very unlikely to play a full season

3-This is one is the main reason why it doesn't make sense for Ottawa. The Sens could throw $5M at someone in free agency and that player will be better than Hemsky, healthier than Hemsky and will not cost any assets.


Therefore, acquiring Hemsky makes no sense for Ottawa. Or any team for that matter, at least until UFA is over.



I mean, take Valterri Filppula for instance. If Filppula was offered $5M per year, he would take it. IMO. He won't get more than that. Well it would make a lot more sense to give that to Filppula then trade assets for Hemsky.
These are good points.

Benny FTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 08:58 PM
  #81
SephF
Thanks Smytty
 
SephF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,505
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
Everything you said about Smith is the exact opposite to how I see him. He was 52% on faceoffs, he is gritty and has size. In a full season he would have projected 28 points and 165 hits. Not bad for a 3rd line center that brings many more intangibles.

Hemsky is definitely a better player than Smith, but doesn't fit with us anymore. He is overpaid by about 1M, and has had some injury problems. (though I personally don't see it like a Havlat situation) Yakupov was significantly better on the RW this season. We need to make room for Yak to play there the full season with offensive linemates.
I'm an idiot, I had O'Brien and Smith mixed up, just ignore me

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 09:00 PM
  #82
roboninja
EYG
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hass View Post
I agree, we can get much safer players from UFA for 5 mill , Hemsky would be a great plan c though.
But most of those players will not be signing for only 1 year. That's a higher risk.

roboninja is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 09:04 PM
  #83
Aceonfire
Las Vegas Aces
 
Aceonfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,084
vCash: 500
Smith is like Stoll 2.0

Great trade for both teams.

And I appreciate that a lot of Sens fans realize that Hemsky has value. He would excel in your system and not have to face the toughest competition like he does in Edmonton.

Your PP will improve a lot, I would bet on that.

Aceonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 09:17 PM
  #84
Aceonfire
Las Vegas Aces
 
Aceonfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,084
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
Problems with Hemsky:

1-UFA next summer

2-Injury prone and very unlikely to play a full season

3-This is one is the main reason why it doesn't make sense for Ottawa. The Sens could throw $5M at someone in free agency and that player will be better than Hemsky, healthier than Hemsky and will not cost any assets.



Therefore, acquiring Hemsky makes no sense for Ottawa. Or any team for that matter, at least until UFA is over.



I mean, take Valterri Filppula for instance. If Filppula was offered $5M per year, he would take it. IMO. He won't get more than that. Well it would make a lot more sense to give that to Filppula then trade assets for Hemsky.

Hemsky had 20 points in 38 games, Filppula had 17 in 41.

Would you really wanna pay Filppula 5mil a year for more than one year?

Most of these UFAs will be looking for paydays and longer contracts.

Hemsky would resign for 3mil per for 4-5 years. He is a quiet guy, he stays with the team that has his rights.

Aceonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 09:30 PM
  #85
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy
 
MAK19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Madrid
Posts: 13,350
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceonfire View Post
Hemsky had 20 points in 38 games, Filppula had 17 in 41.

Would you really wanna pay Filppula 5mil a year for more than one year?

Most of these UFAs will be looking for paydays and longer contracts.

Hemsky would resign for 3mil per for 4-5 years. He is a quiet guy, he stays with the team that has his rights.
Not really, but I don't want Hemsky either. Filppula will likely get less than that. It was just an example. Also, Filppula > Hemsky, no matter what point totals from one season say.Filppula is a great two-way player and the type of player Ottawa prefers.


You're talking as if Hemsky being a rental is a good thing. Newsflash, it's not. It hurts his value.

Ottawa is NOT trading long term assets like Smith for Hemsky. And certainly not Wiercioch. Wiercioch is a ridiculous price for Hemsky.


Hall, Eberle, RNH, Yakupov and Gagner all outscored Hemsky last year. Hemsky was Edmonton's #6 forward... and some people have him penciled in Ottawa's 1st line (and calling it a 'great' 1st line)


Signing Hemksy for 5 years would be very stupid. He is broken down, a shell of his former self, and cannot play full season. Stupid investment.

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 09:55 PM
  #86
Roof Daddy
Registered User
 
Roof Daddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 7,532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
Not really, but I don't want Hemsky either. Filppula will likely get less than that. It was just an example. Also, Filppula > Hemsky, no matter what point totals from one season say.Filppula is a great two-way player and the type of player Ottawa prefers.
Filppula might take less to stay in Detroit, but are the Sens really at the top of any UFA's list? That's not meant as a slight or anything, I think you guys have a great young team, but what UFA out there would have the Sens in their top 5 destinations? So I have no problem agreeing there are better options out there than Hemsky, what is debatable is whether they are realistically available (to your team)?

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 10:00 PM
  #87
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy
 
MAK19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Madrid
Posts: 13,350
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
Filppula might take less to stay in Detroit, but are the Sens really at the top of any UFA's list? That's not meant as a slight or anything, I think you guys have a great young team, but what UFA out there would have the Sens in their top 5 destinations? So I have no problem agreeing there are better options out there than Hemsky, what is debatable is whether they are realistically available (to your team)?
If the Sens throw $5M out there, they can get someone. That much is obvious. It likely won't be Horton, but someone will take $5M. And, imo, that player is better/healthier than Hemsky.

For example, I doubt Filppula refuses $5M from the Sens because I think he'll end up getting around 4 or 4.5M.

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 10:09 PM
  #88
Roof Daddy
Registered User
 
Roof Daddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 7,532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
If the Sens throw $5M out there, they can get someone. That much is obvious. It likely won't be Horton, but someone will take $5M. And, imo, that player is better/healthier than Hemsky.

For example, I doubt Filppula refuses $5M from the Sens because I think he'll end up getting around 4 or 4.5M.
The only (higher profile) UFA that I could see going to the Sens would be Ryder or Clowe. May indeed be a better fit, but those guys will want 4+ year deals for 4+ million. Not sure how much you'll like it after year 2

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 10:22 PM
  #89
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid
 
Benny FTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,116
vCash: 137
Hemsky > Filppula no doubt. Problem is Hemsky will take assets to acquire.

Benny FTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 10:46 PM
  #90
StefanW
Get well, Bryan
 
StefanW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,374
vCash: 50
I would be willing to go for Hemsky, but the odds are with the deal he is on that Edmonton would be asked to take some salary back (say 1.25 or 1.5). With that take back it is probably worth moving Smith for him for the same of opening up a spot at C on the roster.

The upside is that he would instantly improve our powerplay. The downside is that Murray was pretty clear that he wanted someone who could grow with the team. While Hemsky's age is fine, I can't see us re-signing at the 5 or 6 mill it would probably take when he enters UFA. That makes him a one year rental, which we don't actually want at the moment.

Too bad though, because I think he is a great player and an amazing fit for the Ottawa system.

StefanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 10:54 PM
  #91
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"
 
BonkTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Jakarta, IDN
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,158
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceonfire View Post
Smith is like Stoll 2.0

Great trade for both teams.

And I appreciate that a lot of Sens fans realize that Hemsky has value.
He would excel in your system and not have to face the toughest competition like he does in Edmonton.

Your PP will improve a lot, I would bet on that.
And I appreciate that a lot of Oilers fans realize that Hemsky no longer has "2008-09 value".

BonkTastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 10:58 PM
  #92
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"
 
BonkTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Jakarta, IDN
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,158
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny FTW View Post
Hemsky > Filppula no doubt. Problem is Hemsky will take assets to acquire.
Truth is, I'd rather toss Edmonton a little something for Hemsky and hope he re-signs for less $, than sign Filppula for the $5mil/7 year contract someone will desperately give him on the open market in the worst UFA year of all time.

Losing a bottom-6 asset now > trying to justify Filppula's disgustingly overpaid contract two years from now and realizing how bad it is.

BonkTastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 11:46 PM
  #93
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid
 
Benny FTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,116
vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
Truth is, I'd rather toss Edmonton a little something for Hemsky and hope he re-signs for less $, than sign Filppula for the $5mil/7 year contract someone will desperately give him on the open market in the worst UFA year of all time.

Losing a bottom-6 asset now > trying to justify Filppula's disgustingly overpaid contract two years from now and realizing how bad it is.
agreed

Benny FTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 12:18 AM
  #94
Roof Daddy
Registered User
 
Roof Daddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 7,532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
Truth is, I'd rather toss Edmonton a little something for Hemsky and hope he re-signs for less $, than sign Filppula for the $5mil/7 year contract someone will desperately give him on the open market in the worst UFA year of all time.

Losing a bottom-6 asset now > trying to justify Filppula's disgustingly overpaid contract two years from now and realizing how bad it is.
I'm glad most Sens fans see it that way. The thing is, if Hemsky plays so well that he prices himself out of Ottawa, then he likely a) stayed healthy, and b) returned to form. Our team has been a gong show the past few years and as a result his production has been poor, but there's no doubting the skill this guy has. If Alfie does indeed retire, a Michalek-Spezza-Hemsky line could soften the blow. I think both are good compliments to his style. The biggest issue is whether they can all stay healthy, but I would definitely tune in to a lot more Sens games.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 12:19 AM
  #95
vespa99
Registered User
 
vespa99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,431
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
Not really, but I don't want Hemsky either. Filppula will likely get less than that. It was just an example. Also, Filppula > Hemsky, no matter what point totals from one season say.Filppula is a great two-way player and the type of player Ottawa prefers.


You're talking as if Hemsky being a rental is a good thing. Newsflash, it's not. It hurts his value.

Ottawa is NOT trading long term assets like Smith for Hemsky. And certainly not Wiercioch. Wiercioch is a ridiculous price for Hemsky.


Hall, Eberle, RNH, Yakupov and Gagner all outscored Hemsky last year. Hemsky was Edmonton's #6 forward... and some people have him penciled in Ottawa's 1st line (and calling it a 'great' 1st line)


Signing Hemksy for 5 years would be very stupid. He is broken down, a shell of his former self, and cannot play full season. Stupid investment.
I love people giving their opinion that are so well informed.
Hemsky was great this year and fully healed from his shoulder issues which is his historic problem. He took a shot off his foot blocking a shot and broke his foot. For the rest of the season he played on a broken foot but it limited his production. Had nothing to do with being injury prone, just bad luck. He would without question be on Ottawa's first line and would be a great addition for you. He is still a dynamic near point a game player and is only 30. Whatever team trades for him is going to be pleasantly surprised and will sign him to a 5 year deal at a reasonable price. Next time do a little research on a player rather than towing the HF party line.

vespa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 01:12 AM
  #96
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan
 
saskriders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Calgary/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,421
vCash: 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
I'm glad most Sens fans see it that way. The thing is, if Hemsky plays so well that he prices himself out of Ottawa, then he likely a) stayed healthy, and b) returned to form. Our team has been a gong show the past few years and as a result his production has been poor, but there's no doubting the skill this guy has. If Alfie does indeed retire, a Michalek-Spezza-Hemsky line could soften the blow. I think both are good compliments to his style. The biggest issue is whether they can all stay healthy, but I would definitely tune in to a lot more Sens games.
Alfie has spent most of the last couple years on the second line, so Hemsky would definently be on the first line. Even if he wasn't healthy/can't return to form, then he is still at least an upgrade on the 1st line RW; and irregardless is gone/payed less in year.

On another note, would any Oil fans be interested in Da Costa+ (for those Sens fans who say no to Smith (not me, but a significant number))

saskriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 02:00 AM
  #97
Joey Moss
Registered User
 
Joey Moss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 22,169
vCash: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post
Alfie has spent most of the last couple years on the second line, so Hemsky would definently be on the first line. Even if he wasn't healthy/can't return to form, then he is still at least an upgrade on the 1st line RW; and irregardless is gone/payed less in year.

On another note, would any Oil fans be interested in Da Costa+ (for those Sens fans who say no to Smith (not me, but a significant number))
Sure, if the + is Smith, Neil, Gryba, Wiercioch..

Da Costa is not wanted here at all. We need to get away from players like him.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 02:09 AM
  #98
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan
 
saskriders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Calgary/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,421
vCash: 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
Sure, if the + is Smith, Neil, Gryba, Wiercioch..

Da Costa is not wanted here at all. We need to get away from players like him.
Da Costa has potential to be a 2/3 centre. If Ottawa didn't have the centre depth they do, Da Costa definitely would have been a roster player all year.

saskriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 05:11 AM
  #99
WillyBilly1990
Registered User
 
WillyBilly1990's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Gatineau, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 549
vCash: 537
Could Hemsky be signed to an extension even if his contract expires next year because if we can i would do the trades instantly

WillyBilly1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 06:27 AM
  #100
One M0RE YEAR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 214
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post
Da Costa has potential to be a 2/3 centre. If Ottawa didn't have the centre depth they do, Da Costa definitely would have been a roster player all year.
Nice sell but as a sens fan i feel as though Da costa is going to turn out to be a gilbert brule type player.

One M0RE YEAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:12 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.