HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Should they change the formula of Overtime in the playoffs?

Old
06-14-2013, 04:40 AM
Fifthgear

vCash: 500
Should they change the formula of Overtime in the playoffs?

I think they should, i would only allow a single period of overtime 5 on 5 and if the score is unchanged, i would put 5 shootouts attempts by team.

Soccer = 30min then penalties in major events
Tennis = tie break except last set in major´s

Baseball = 1 run or till they die of old-age
Hockey = 1 goal or till they die of old-age

Last edited by Fifthgear: 06-14-2013 at 07:07 AM.
Fifthgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 05:27 AM
Fifthgear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifthgear View Post
I think they should, i would only allow a single period of overtime 5 on 5 and if the score is unchanged, i would put 5 shootouts attempts by team like in soccer. Discuss
I forgot to mention that it´s ridicoulous the way it is right now!!

Old
06-14-2013, 05:31 AM
habspinner

Quote:
So, what you're saying is it would NOT be ridiculous to theoretically have a game 7 Stanley Cup Final scenario wherein the winning team is the one that wins the shootout?

habspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 05:34 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Bad idea. It's perfect as it is.

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 05:44 AM
HabstuckinTO

Sudden death overtime in the Stanley Cup playoffs is one of the most exciting things in sport. Changing it would be ridiculous.

HabstuckinTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 05:55 AM
GRECOHAB

I dont think that the current formula of sadden death overtime should change in the playoffs. It adds such dramma, and it is something so special among all other sports, that needs to remain, no doubt.

I would suggest though, that like in the regular season, playoffs overtime should be played 4 on 4. Lots of open ice, high quality chances, odd man rushes, and i think very few games would enter a 2nd overtime period in the end.

Just my thoughts...

GRECOHAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 06:01 AM
RC51

Quote:
I think your a soccer fan that sometimes watches hockey. Your out to prove that soccer has it right and hockey should join in.

NO. As the overtime builds into a 2nd or 3rd or 4th overtime period the pressure keeps rising. it's called sudden DEATH and nothing is more exciting in any sport. ASK any player and what do you see. the greatest games they were ever involved in were the games that everything is on the line in huge overtime games. To win one of those is highest high and games you remember for the rest of your life.

What you want is a shootout? that removes 90% of hockey.
what of hard work, what of best PP or PK, what of speed vs toughness, what of coaching and strategy, what of passing ability or hockey sense and vision on the ice. ALL these thing are NOT in a shootout. What you want is a chess board with only 2 kings and to hell with all the rest of the action, lets cut to the chase and forget about context and texture. Why don't you just read the score in the morning. who cares who scores, who cares about how the games was played. Just give me WHO won and that's it I got no time for anything else.

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 06:14 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
I think that potentially deciding the winner of the Stanley Cup on shoot-out attempts is beyond ridiculous; it's absurd.

Old
06-14-2013, 06:31 AM
Rosso Scuderia

Worst idea ever.

Rosso Scuderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 06:32 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Shootouts in the playoffs should be permanently banned from even the thought of them.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 06:35 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Marathon games are fun..

If they are going to make a change than I rather it be
5-on-5 OT1
4-on-4 OT2
3-on-3 OT3.

No way does it not end before OT4 and I'd be surprised to see one go to OT3.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 06:35 AM
RussCourtnallsGhost

I actually love shootouts, and even I think this is the worst idea ever.

RussCourtnallsGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 06:46 AM
Madevilz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
Bad idea. It's perfect as it is.
/thread

Madevilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 06:47 AM
Fifthgear

Quote:
Originally Posted by habspinner View Post
So, what you're saying is it would NOT be ridiculous to theoretically have a game 7 Stanley Cup Final scenario wherein the winning team is the one that wins the shootout?
You are right, except game 7 of the Stanley cup final.

Old
06-14-2013, 06:48 AM
LeHab

Always looking forward to ridiculously long playoff OTs. The only thing I would change is to forbid having playoff games on consecutive nights.

LeHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 06:53 AM
Fifthgear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
I think your a soccer fan that sometimes watches hockey. Your out to prove that soccer has it right and hockey should join in.

NO. As the overtime builds into a 2nd or 3rd or 4th overtime period the pressure keeps rising. it's called sudden DEATH and nothing is more exciting in any sport. ASK any player and what do you see. the greatest games they were ever involved in were the games that everything is on the line in huge overtime games. To win one of those is highest high and games you remember for the rest of your life.

What you want is a shootout? that removes 90% of hockey.
what of hard work, what of best PP or PK, what of speed vs toughness, what of coaching and strategy, what of passing ability or hockey sense and vision on the ice. ALL these thing are NOT in a shootout. What you want is a chess board with only 2 kings and to hell with all the rest of the action, lets cut to the chase and forget about context and texture. Why don't you just read the score in the morning. who cares who scores, who cares about how the games was played. Just give me WHO won and that's it I got no time for anything else.
Exciting ???? 3rd OT , i bet that 50% of people went after 2nd OT to sleep and yes i´m soccer fan also but they took in consideration the fans that are watching and don´t tell me penalties in soccer to end a game aren´t exciting!
NHL should take ideas from soccer and also remove that stupid 1 pt. when you lose a game in OT !!!

Old
06-14-2013, 07:02 AM
Fifthgear

By the way i was following in twitter many conversation that same night where many well knowned journalist, reporters and ex-player that they were saying that they where going to bet because it was enough. Thats why i´m saying that 3OT it´s to much except 7th game of a final of the Stanley Cup.

Soccer = 30min then penalties in major events
Tennis = tie break except last set in major´s

Baseball = 1 run or till they die of old-age
Hockey = 1 goal or till they die of old-age

Last edited by Fifthgear: 06-14-2013 at 07:08 AM.
Old
06-14-2013, 07:05 AM
Habster33
In Habs we trust!

Quote:
Exciting ???? 3rd OT , i bet that 50% of people went after 2nd OT to sleep and yes i´m soccer fan also but they took in consideration the fans that are watching and don´t tell me penalties in soccer to end a game aren´t exciting!
NHL should take ideas from soccer and also remove that stupid 1 pt. when you lose a game in OT !!!
More embellishment plays?? That would be amazing

It's been that way forever.. Why change that? Soccer and Hockey are like comparing apples and oranges. I wish hockey NEVER takes ANY ideas from soccer.. Cuz really, soccer is boring as **** to watch!

Habster33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 07:08 AM
RC51

Quote:
so according to you 50% of Boston and Chicago fans just went to bed and did not bother to stay up.

so why don't you ask a few Boston or Chicago posters and ask them if they went to bed?

NO, YOU went to bed because it's not your team, NO YOU went to bed because your a soccer fan first. Now your still trying to defend a stupid position by inventing facts you think are true.

as far as other hockey fans from other teams, well of course they might not have stayed up and this proves what? I know a lot of people that just don't give dam about soccer and that would prove what? that soccer is a dumb sport!

Stop, your just digging yourself a bigger hole.

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 07:17 AM
nilan30

Quote:
Exciting ???? 3rd OT , i bet that 50% of people went after 2nd OT to sleep and yes i´m soccer fan also but they took in consideration the fans that are watching and don´t tell me penalties in soccer to end a game aren´t exciting! NHL should take ideas from soccer and also remove that stupid 1 pt. when you lose a game in OT !!!
You are right. It is exciting. Exciting that a boring a** soccer game is going to be over.

nilan30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 07:17 AM
Fifthgear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
so according to you 50% of Boston and Chicago fans just went to bed and did not bother to stay up.

so why don't you ask a few Boston or Chicago posters and ask them if they went to bed?

NO, YOU went to bed because it's not your team, NO YOU went to bed because your a soccer fan first. Now your still trying to defend a stupid position by inventing facts you think are true.

as far as other hockey fans from other teams, well of course they might not have stayed up and this proves what? I know a lot of people that just don't give dam about soccer and that would prove what? that soccer is a dumb sport!

Stop, your just digging yourself a bigger hole.
Boston-Chigago for sure fans stayed up to look at it but the rest of fans of Hockey like many of the Journalist, ex-players did go to bed (twitter conversations). Don´t speak only about Boston-Chicago fans, speak about fans in general! Is it to complicated?

By the way, soccer is the sport that´s played the most all around the world but let me tell you there´s nothing that replaces hockey in my hart. Go habs go! 25 Stanley Cups

Old
06-14-2013, 07:23 AM
Fifthgear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilan30 View Post
You are right. It is exciting. Exciting that a boring a** soccer game is going to be over.
It´s your opinion, not the millions and millions of peoples that play or like watch soccer games in the world. I only took soccer as an example? Boy o Boy.

Whats the hate of soccer guy´s

But like i said, nothing replaces Hockey in my heart! Go Habs Go! 25 Stanley Cups.

Old
06-14-2013, 07:26 AM
Fifthgear

Quote:
It´s your opinion, not the millions and millions of peoples that play or like watch soccer games in the world. I only took soccer as an example? Boy o Boy.

Whats the hate of soccer guy´s

But like i said, nothing replaces Hockey in my heart! Go Habs Go! 25 Stanley Cups.
If you are the real Nilan, ask Marinaro (he´s a soccer fan) about this !!! but i don´t think you are ...

Old
06-14-2013, 07:28 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Not a chance. Keep it the way it is.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 07:31 AM
skillhockey

It wouldn't last 3 ots if refs had balls to call those penalties, players get tired and make mistakes all the time in ot periods.

skillhockey is offline   Reply With Quote