HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 11.0

Closed Thread

Old
06-14-2013, 08:32 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillytennis View Post
Chris Kreider...tremendous breakaway speed...always a menace on the ice.
Kreider is fine if you want to build an Olympic speed skating team, but he seems to have no clue at hockey. Great size and speed but no hockey sense or vision. Young Mike Blunden minus the physical game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNimitz View Post
Of the four possible options mentioned:
Robert Hagg - 6'2", 205lbs
Steve Santini - 6'1", 210lbs
Dillon Heatherington - 6'4", 200lbs
Mirco Mueller - 6'4", 190lbs
would all be good value at 36 and all, except Hagg, should be available. I may be alone here, but I think Hagg is over rated and will not be the force many predict. In watching films of him, I just don't find him to be a fluid athlete. Just watch how odd he looks when he's shooting a puck.
In the early rounds I would never draft a guy who is defense only unless he was dominant(see Tinordi or Komisarek early on), guys like Mueller are 2 way guy, the type that will play PP and PK minutes and potentially shut down minutes if they reach full NHL potential.

Old
06-14-2013, 08:34 AM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRECOHAB View Post
I really enjoy this time of the year with all the mock drafts, and i have been reading alot of them lately. In the past i have posted suggestions of possible players that we can pick with our draftpicks. Today i will play the ''if i was Bergevin - Timmins'' game, and here is what i would do:

MOVES PRIOR THE DRAFT

Trade Weber to NYI for their 4th round pick (118th overall) that we gave away in the Wiz trade. They have two 4th rounders and i think they would be willing to part with one of them since they are so high in Swiss puck moving defenders.
Trade Ryder's rights to anyone for a 5th rounder. Its probably the asking price and i think alot of teams would be willing to pay for in such a poor UFA class. That team should be a potential contender with cap space. Lets guess ANA's 5th rounder (149th overall)

PLAYERS SELECTIONS AT THE DRAFT

25th overall: Samuel Morin
34th overall: Michael McCarron
36th overall: Emile Poirier
55th overall: Justin Bailey
71st overall: Jon Diaby
86th overall: Phillipe Desrosiers
118th overall: Michell Wheaton
149th overall: Jeremy Gregoire
176th overall: Axel Blomqvist
206th overall: Mats Eller

Thoughts? Opinions?
Excellent choices all throughout, basically the exact players the Habs should be drafting. I like Connor Hurley and Zach Sanford as well they could replace any player already taken on draft day.

Old
06-14-2013, 08:42 AM
Erik Estrada
@Denis.Coderre

Reviewed again all the team Canada U18 games. For Ds, Samuel Morin was best all-around. Very slick. Made good decisions. Tape to tape passes...

Worst IMO (by far), Heatherington... Panicked, nervous, coughed up the puck, bad passes, bad decisions, little hockey sense. On the plus side, his skating and size.

Old
06-14-2013, 08:46 AM
Top Corner2

I know there is a lot of debate about Anthony Mantha.

I'm totally on the fence about him myself, but he seems to be consistently showing up on scouts radar.

Here is an interesting article on him by Arpon Basu (who is always worth a read)

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=647144

Interesting to hear about his grandpa and hear his coach talk about him.

Old
06-14-2013, 08:48 AM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by yianik View Post
Im not seeing a lot of interest in De La Rosa and I wonder if people see him as another boring safe pick with a limited ceiling and so not so keen on him. He has very good size but needs to add muscle, skating is good and defensively solid. So 3rd liner ? Well his skill set is above average , gives an effort, plays a physical game and apparently goes to the dirty areas. If this guy translates his game to the NHL you have a guy who could score 25-30 goals who will be defensively responsible, give a full effort and play a physical brand of hockey ( not Clarkson physical but physical ). Sounds like the kind of guy who you want to be playing with Eller , Gallagher or Galchenyuk. He actually sounds similar to Eller, but maybe a more involved physical player than Eller was at this age and maybe a better stick handler. Course, people could just like other players more on the merits, just wondering.
I have been trying to convince everybody that JDLR should be our pick at #34 or #36 but Poirier, Dauphin and McCarron are considered "better" pick around here.

He is a beast defensively, can play any position on offense, plays with a lot of grit, hits and plays physical, goes to the net, good speed, good hands and a pretty good shot. The only knock on him is if he can turn all these tools into a top 6 forward. If he doesnt he will be a great 3rd liner but if he does i see him as a David Backes type player.

He is a lot grittier than Eller and needs to put on more weight. Imagine if he puts on about 10-20 pounds. 6"2, 210 pound winger is pretty good. He would be a physical beast.

Old
06-14-2013, 08:50 AM
Top Corner2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner77 View Post
I keep reading that Gauthier is defensively responsible but his offense is questionable. Those who have seen him play, does he have the tools to develop greater offense?
I think he will end up being a good 3rd line player if he winds up in the right organization. I'm thinking Hanzal, Handzus type.

Old
06-14-2013, 08:52 AM
ChesterNimitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
Reviewed again all the team Canada U18 games. For Ds, Samuel Morin was best all-around. Very slick. Made good decisions. Tape to tape passes...

Worst IMO (by far), Heatherington... Panicked, nervous, coughed up the puck, bad passes, bad decisions, little hockey sense. On the plus side, his skating and size.
Based on your assessment, do you believe Morin will be available at 25? Be careful in the way you frame your response. Any degree of absolutism is somewhat frowned upon here.

Old
06-14-2013, 08:56 AM
ChesterNimitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Corner2 View Post
I think he will end up being a good 3rd line player if he winds up in the right organization. I'm thinking Hanzal, Handzus type.
I think your assessment is correct. The question then becomes: is this the type of player you spend a first round draft choice on? Particularly in a draft as deep as this.

Old
06-14-2013, 08:57 AM
Erik Estrada
@Denis.Coderre

Quote:
Based on your assessment, do you believe Morin will be available at 25? Be careful in the way you frame your response. Any degree of absolutism is somewhat frowned upon here.
Many scenarios where I see him available at 25... He catches a mutated form of the ebola virus, he says he wants to pursue his dream as a gentleman farmer instead, etc... Anything can happen...

Old
06-14-2013, 09:00 AM
Top Corner2

Quote:
I think your assessment is correct. The question then becomes: is this the type of player you spend a first round draft choice on? Particularly in a draft as deep as this.
Some team will. I think the bigger question is is your organization the right organization for this kid. That's where I have my doubts about the habs & Gauthier....especially because he will have extra demands & attention due to him being a local player who played in the Q.

Old
06-14-2013, 09:02 AM
Top Corner2

Quote:

Morin was the best. But that whole D corps played great for Canada. While Heatherington was the least slick I like his physical game. I would love for any one of those guys to be picked by the habs (depending on where of course )

Old
06-14-2013, 09:04 AM
ChesterNimitz

Quote:
Many scenarios where I see him available at 25... He catches a mutated form of the ebola virus, he says he wants to pursue his dream as a gentleman farmer instead, etc... Anything can happen...
Well said. And, particularly politically correct for the sensitivities of this august board.

Old
06-14-2013, 09:05 AM
Top Corner2

Quote:
OK I'll say it. Morin is gonna be loooooong gone at 25!

I think there is a better chance that Horvat is there than Morin!

Old
06-14-2013, 09:06 AM
Erik Estrada
@Denis.Coderre

Quote:
Morin was the best. But that whole D corps played great for Canada. While Heatherington was the least slick I like his physical game. I would love for any one of those guys to be picked by the habs (depending on where of course )
Heatherington is the most raw. I don't know how much he can improve... A safer pick on that D corps would be Chris Bigras. Generally solid, made little mistakes, played with confidence...

Old
06-14-2013, 09:08 AM
Wandering Maroon

Pre Draft Talk - 6 picks in top three rounds

Here's my wish list for the top 6 picks taking into consideration are obvious organizational weaknesses and the likelihood that the player will still be available when we pick.

I am torn between Erne or Morin at 25

Pick #25 -Size and/or skill on the wing or Big d-man

Samuel Morin D,6' 6.25",202 QMJHL
or
Andre Burakowsky,LW,2/9/1995L,6.01.5,178,Malmo,SweAl
or
Rychel, Kerby LW 10/7/1994 L, 6.01,200,Windsor,OHL
or
Adam Erne,LW, Apr 20 1995 L, 6.01,210, Quebec, QJMHL

Pick #34-Big winger or nasty D-man
Michael McCarron
Chris Bigras D
Ian Maccoshen D
Dillon Heatherington D
Jason Dickinson RW

Pick #36 -Get physical on the wings
Anyone who we don't get at #34
Emile Poirier LW
Zach Nastasiuk RW

Pick #55 -Time for a goalie prospect or a big winger
Patrick Desrosiers G
Hudson Faschiding LW
Anthony Duclair LW

Pick #71 - Could be a good pick
Jan Kostalek D
Michael Downing D
Remi Elie LW

Pick#86

Alexei Fillipov RW
Joose Antoonen LW
Shane Starrett G

Old
06-14-2013, 09:14 AM
ChesterNimitz

Quote:
While Morin was clearly the best, I think that Heatherington's game will translate better in the NHL than many people give him credit for. Conversely, I think of all six Team Canada defenceman, Morrissey's game projects the worse at the NHL level. He'll definitely play in the NHL, but he will not be the offensive star that many are predicting.

Old
06-14-2013, 09:28 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitehowl View Post
what about McCoshen? I would take him or Mueller before the others
For what it's worth, I have McCoshen developing into more of a two-way guy than the four I listed. Of course when you're talking draft eligible prospects, the line between 'two-way' and 'defensive' defensemen is pretty blurry so you can definitely make a case for some guys I left off.

Old
06-14-2013, 09:44 AM
ChesterNimitz

Quote:
Heatherington is the most raw. I don't know how much he can improve... A safer pick on that D corps would be Chris Bigras. Generally solid, made little mistakes, played with confidence...
I agree. He'd be a value pick at 36 and the proverbial steal at 55. He's very quick, sharp and hard on the puck in his defensive zone. His game will translates very well in the NHL. I would not be surprised if he goes very early in the 2nd round. As I said earlier, in years to come, people will look back at this Team Canada's defence corps and be amazed at its depth and quality. While Morin may be the prize, there is a lot of NHL potential in each of the other 5. Heatherington, Bigras, Theodore, Bowey and Morrissey. Most, if not all should be available between 25 and 36. We would not be ill served if we took one or two of them if given the opportunity. They will all play in the NHL. And some, very, very well.

Old
06-14-2013, 09:44 AM
le_sean

Why is Bigras so highly rated? Some have him in the first round. He just seems like he's decent at everything without any outstanding ability. At least someone like Mueller has high end skating or Santini has great physicality. I don't see the appeal of Bigras.

Old
06-14-2013, 10:20 AM
Nitehowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Why is Bigras so highly rated? Some have him in the first round. He just seems like he's decent at everything without any outstanding ability. At least someone like Mueller has high end skating or Santini has great physicality. I don't see the appeal of Bigras.
This is my thought as well....just average size and average everything...he would be the last of all the Team Canada defence that I would pick. Maybe at 55 but tooooo much talent available earlier.

Old
06-14-2013, 10:48 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitehowl View Post
This is my thought as well....just average size and average everything...he would be the last of all the Team Canada defence that I would pick. Maybe at 55 but tooooo much talent available earlier.
I agree. I just don't see it with any of our first three picks.

Old
06-14-2013, 10:51 AM
Gaston Gingras

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRECOHAB View Post
I really enjoy this time of the year with all the mock drafts, and i have been reading alot of them lately. In the past i have posted suggestions of possible players that we can pick with our draftpicks. Today i will play the ''if i was Bergevin - Timmins'' game, and here is what i would do:

MOVES PRIOR THE DRAFT

Trade Weber to NYI for their 4th round pick (118th overall) that we gave away in the Wiz trade. They have two 4th rounders and i think they would be willing to part with one of them since they are so high in Swiss puck moving defenders.
Trade Ryder's rights to anyone for a 5th rounder. Its probably the asking price and i think alot of teams would be willing to pay for in such a poor UFA class. That team should be a potential contender with cap space. Lets guess ANA's 5th rounder (149th overall)

PLAYERS SELECTIONS AT THE DRAFT

25th overall: Samuel Morin
34th overall: Michael McCarron
36th overall: Emile Poirier
55th overall: Justin Bailey
71st overall: Jon Diaby
86th overall: Phillipe Desrosiers
118th overall: Michell Wheaton
149th overall: Jeremy Gregoire
176th overall: Axel Blomqvist
206th overall: Mats Eller

Thoughts? Opinions?
I like that list alot however I am not sold on McCarron, I see Mike McCarron as being similar in style to Brian Boyle. I see his potential and ceiling as a third liner who brings physical presence to his team

Old
06-14-2013, 10:56 AM
Hullois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaston Gingras View Post
I like that list alot however I am not sold on McCarron, I see Mike McCarron as being similar in style to Brian Boyle. I see his potential and ceiling as a third liner who brings physical presence to his team
Kind of like Prust? We absolutely need that so let's go for it.

Old
06-14-2013, 11:01 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
He's not as tough as Prust though.

I can't believe there's still 17 days left until this draft. There's not much more to say about this draft at this point. We've said it all.

Old
06-14-2013, 11:03 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hullois View Post
Kind of like Prust? We absolutely need that so let's go for it.
Yeah I still don't get that mentality. People worship Prust, are dying for us to send Bickell a blank contract and tell him to fill in his own terms...but if you suggest picking a guy like that 25, it's the worst thing you can do.

I mean, sure, we'd all love to get a 90 point player at #25 and McCarron, whatever his NHL ceiling may be, doesn't seem to be that guy...but at a certain point can't we hedge our bets and pick a player who, even if he does become a third liner at best, becomes a third liner that we absolutely need and can't pick up for peanuts in free agency?

And as my argument has been all along, we should still be able to get plenty of skill at 34 and 36 if we do pick McCarron at 25.

Closed Thread