HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Flyers sign Mark Streit to a multi-year deal [4 yrs, $21m; $5.25 AAV] (post #1)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-14-2013, 09:25 AM
  #326
orange is better
than other colors...
 
orange is better's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,243
vCash: 500
Why not reunite Timonen and Coburn now? I like the idea of putting Gus with Grossmann. Grossmanns positional awareness and overall strength can somewhat makeup for Gus's lack thereof.

I'd try...

Timonen-Coburn
Streit-Schenn
Gustafsson-Grossmann

orange is better is offline  
Old
06-14-2013, 09:35 AM
  #327
Kevin Danko
Couple of Drinks Bud
 
Kevin Danko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Delaware
Country: United States
Posts: 3,978
vCash: 897
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Why not reunite Timonen and Coburn now? I like the idea of putting Gus with Grossmann. Grossmanns positional awareness and overall strength can somewhat makeup for Gus's lack thereof.

I'd try...

Timonen-Coburn
Streit-Schenn
Gustafsson-Grossmann
Got a feeling that Gus wouldn't be getting destroyed as much either.

Kevin Danko is offline  
Old
06-14-2013, 09:40 AM
  #328
FlyersFan61290
Registered User
 
FlyersFan61290's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 7,575
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Fair enough. I am in full agreement that Streit will help the 2nd pp unit, and that Timonen should in no way be replaced by Streit on the top unit. I just never looked at the second unit as a problem last year or even as being bad. Never thought they were necessarily good, but I was never concerned with "fixing" the second unit, outside of the obvious desire to always want to improve.
If that's the way they decide to go he'll most definitely provide some stability. The point on the 2nd unit was a carousel. From what I can remember they used Foster, Mez, Gus, Gervais, Read and Couts there at various points in the season and I believe the use (IMO misuse) of Couturier and Read at the point negatively effected the 2nd units productiveness.

FlyersFan61290 is offline  
Old
06-14-2013, 09:50 AM
  #329
FLYERSFAN18
Registered User
 
FLYERSFAN18's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 1,749
vCash: 500
Its pretty simple IMO. We have our #1 PP unit from last year that should be kept intact at least to start the season.

Harntell/Schenn-Giroux-Simmonds
Timonen-Voracek

Hartnell/Schenn-Couts-Read
Streit-Gus

Now if Timonen gets hurt or is ineffective on the #1 unit then Streit would be first in line to take his spot. Thats the way I see it.

FLYERSFAN18 is offline  
Old
06-14-2013, 09:53 AM
  #330
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 11,690
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Why not reunite Timonen and Coburn now? I like the idea of putting Gus with Grossmann. Grossmanns positional awareness and overall strength can somewhat makeup for Gus's lack thereof.

I'd try...

Timonen-Coburn
Streit-Schenn
Gustafsson-Grossmann
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYERSFAN18 View Post
Its pretty simple IMO. We have our #1 PP unit from last year that should be kept intact at least to start the season.

Harntell/Schenn-Giroux-Simmonds
Timonen-Voracek

Hartnell/Schenn-Couts-Read
Streit-Gus

Now if Timonen gets hurt or is ineffective on the #1 unit then Streit would be first in line to take his spot. Thats the way I see it.
I like both of these ideas. I think they are going to bring in another winger in the offseason that could get some PP time as well. Could be Gagne, could be another winger, but I think someone else is going to be brought in who can contribute on the PP from time to time (injuries, slumps, etc).

DrinkFightFlyers is offline  
Old
06-14-2013, 09:53 AM
  #331
orange is better
than other colors...
 
orange is better's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,243
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYERSFAN18 View Post
Its pretty simple IMO. We have our #1 PP unit from last year that should be kept intact at least to start the season.

Harntell/Schenn-Giroux-Simmonds
Timonen-Voracek

Hartnell/Schenn-Couts-Read
Streit-Gus

Now if Timonen gets hurt or is ineffective on the #1 unit then Streit would be first in line to take his spot. Thats the way I see it.
If gagne is resigned, I'd try

Hartnell-Giroux-Schenn
Timonen-Voracek

Gagne-Couturier-Simmonds
Streit-Read

orange is better is offline  
Old
06-14-2013, 09:54 AM
  #332
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 9,668
vCash: 500
It's all well and good that the Flyers are improving their special teams with Streit but we will need to see much better 5 on 5 play particularly against tight checking teams. Streit should be able to help with the transition game hopefully..much better than the trifecta of duds in Gervais, Foster and Huskins we had to recycle due to the loss of Carle..

FreshPerspective is offline  
Old
06-14-2013, 10:00 AM
  #333
FLYERSFAN18
Registered User
 
FLYERSFAN18's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 1,749
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
If gagne is resigned, I'd try

Hartnell-Giroux-Schenn
Timonen-Voracek

Gagne-Couturier-Simmonds
Streit-Read
I like that idea as well. I was only using players currently under contract, but i do like Read on the point on the power play

FLYERSFAN18 is offline  
Old
06-14-2013, 10:03 AM
  #334
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,898
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
If gagne is resigned, I'd try

Hartnell-Giroux-Schenn
Timonen-Voracek

Gagne-Couturier-Simmonds
Streit-Read
I don't understand fans

People cry about not giving our young players a chance, and then they go and make lines that that...

Gus needs to be on the 2nd unit

RJ8812 is offline  
Old
06-14-2013, 10:06 AM
  #335
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 27,962
vCash: 500
For the PP, I'd do this:

Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek
Timonen-Streit

Read-Schenn-Simmonds
Gus-Couturier

SolidSnakeUS is offline  
Old
06-14-2013, 10:12 AM
  #336
FlyersFan61290
Registered User
 
FlyersFan61290's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 7,575
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
For the PP, I'd do this:

Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek
Timonen-Streit

Read-Schenn-Simmonds
Gus-Couturier
Couturier was pretty bad when on the point last year, that's not to say he can't improve but I think I'd go with an intact 1st unit:

Hartnell-G-Simmonds
Kimmo-Voracek

and add Streit to the 2nd unit with Gus:

Read-Schen/Couturier-Couturier/Schenn
Streit-Gus

FlyersFan61290 is offline  
Old
06-14-2013, 10:27 AM
  #337
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 9,668
vCash: 500
I agree with Bill ...he addresses a need but at a potential cost that somewhat nullifies the potential returns. Streit will need to be better than average all around (not just defensively). It's not as bad as the Bryz situation but it could be similar.

Hopefully, Streit doesn't become a whipping boy if his defense is worse than Carle's and his offense is not as productive as it has been..


Quote:
It is still debatable whether Streit is the right player for the Flyers given his contractual price tag, age and average-at-best defensive skills.

FreshPerspective is offline  
Old
06-14-2013, 10:31 AM
  #338
Jtown
Registered User
 
Jtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Posts: 8,924
vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
If gagne is resigned, I'd try

Hartnell-Giroux-Schenn
Timonen-Voracek

Gagne-Couturier-Simmonds
Streit-Read
Id put read in gagne's spot and move gus on the 2nd unit. I think he needs some time developing on the PP.

Jtown is online now  
Old
06-14-2013, 11:05 AM
  #339
Broad Street Elite
Registered User
 
Broad Street Elite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
I agree with Bill ...he addresses a need but at a potential cost that somewhat nullifies the potential returns. Streit will need to be better than average all around (not just defensively). It's not as bad as the Bryz situation but it could be similar.

Hopefully, Streit doesn't become a whipping boy if his defense is worse than Carle's and his offense is not as productive as it has been..
Probably a debate better had when we know what the contract pricetag will actually be.

Broad Street Elite is offline  
Old
06-14-2013, 11:30 AM
  #340
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL
 
GoneFullHolmgren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 29,723
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
I agree with Bill ...he addresses a need but at a potential cost that somewhat nullifies the potential returns. Streit will need to be better than average all around (not just defensively). It's not as bad as the Bryz situation but it could be similar.

Hopefully, Streit doesn't become a whipping boy if his defense is worse than Carle's and his offense is not as productive as it has been..
Well Streit will be under the microscope with Flyer fans. Thats just how it is when someone is brought in via trade or free agency. People will have to be patient with the guy if he does sign. there will be a adjustment period for chemistry and such.

GoneFullHolmgren is offline  
Old
06-14-2013, 11:35 AM
  #341
orange is better
than other colors...
 
orange is better's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,243
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
I don't understand fans

People cry about not giving our young players a chance, and then they go and make lines that that...

Gus needs to be on the 2nd unit
You're criticizing the wrong person then. Simply because I'm not the biggest Gus fan. I think he most certainly needs to be given an full time roster spot, because I think he deserves the look after his strong play to end the season, but if the units i posted worked well, I don't see a reason to simply force a young guy onto the point simply because he's young and needs experience, because I don't necessarily see the upside that some on here seem to think he has.

Don't get me wrong, I'll be more than happy to eat a nice roasted crow for dinner if he proves me wrong, but until I see his game progress over a longer stretch of games...

orange is better is offline  
Old
06-14-2013, 11:39 AM
  #342
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,869
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
You're criticizing the wrong person then. Simply because I'm not the biggest Gus fan. I think he most certainly needs to be given an full time roster spot, because I think he deserves the look after his strong play to end the season, but if the units i posted worked well, I don't see a reason to simply force a young guy onto the point simply because he's young and needs experience, because I don't necessarily see the upside that some on here seem to think he has.

Don't get me wrong, I'll be more than happy to eat a nice roasted crow for dinner if he proves me wrong, but until I see his game progress over a longer stretch of games...
I honestly think we're in an awesome position where we can literally roll all three pairings out fairly evenly at even strength.

I think that will save some tread on the tires for Timonen and Streit as well.

We have a unique opportunity here this upcoming season with the defense we've assembled. It's not every day that we can theoretically throw all three pairings out to log significant minutes.

Let's not waste it by being skittish with Gustafsson. There's no reason for it.

CS is offline  
Old
06-14-2013, 11:56 AM
  #343
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL
 
GoneFullHolmgren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 29,723
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
You're criticizing the wrong person then. Simply because I'm not the biggest Gus fan. I think he most certainly needs to be given an full time roster spot, because I think he deserves the look after his strong play to end the season, but if the units i posted worked well, I don't see a reason to simply force a young guy onto the point simply because he's young and needs experience, because I don't necessarily see the upside that some on here seem to think he has.

Don't get me wrong, I'll be more than happy to eat a nice roasted crow for dinner if he proves me wrong, but until I see his game progress over a longer stretch of games...
i would take my chances with Gus on the bottom pairing then Bruno Gervais. We dont know what Gus can become. We know that Gervais ****ing blows. I would deal Mez regardless if they sign Streit. the guy is made of glass and cannot be trusted to stay healthy.

Timonen/Schenn
Streit/Coburn
Grossman/Gus

As much as I dislike Coburn I think that is a pretty solid defense. Not anything near the top of the league, but miles better then last season.

GoneFullHolmgren is offline  
Old
06-14-2013, 12:08 PM
  #344
Stizzle
Registered User
 
Stizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,299
vCash: 500
I see a lot of people throwing out possible PP combos in the last few posts. A few had Simmonds on the 2nd unit, which i don't like. His screens are super needed on the first unit and he also is good at cleaning up rebounds.

Stizzle is offline  
Old
06-14-2013, 01:18 PM
  #345
RinaldoZac
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 184
vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
i would take my chances with Gus on the bottom pairing then Bruno Gervais. We dont know what Gus can become. We know that Gervais ****ing blows. I would deal Mez regardless if they sign Streit. the guy is made of glass and cannot be trusted to stay healthy.

Timonen/Schenn
Streit/Coburn
Grossman/Gus

As much as I dislike Coburn I think that is a pretty solid defense. Not anything near the top of the league, but miles better then last season.
i personally would rather Lauridson than Gustavsson, Lauridson brings physicality and grit that Gus does NOT offer

RinaldoZac is offline  
Old
06-14-2013, 01:22 PM
  #346
Broad Street Elite
Registered User
 
Broad Street Elite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerJesus View Post
i personally would rather Lauridson than Gustavsson, Lauridson brings physicality and grit that Gus does NOT offer
And Gus brings offensive ability... which Lauridson does not offer. Overall, OL was impressive in limited showing, but took a number of bad, bad penalties and offered next to nothing in the way of puck movement. Given the composition of the unit, the team benefits more from Gus than they do from OL.

Broad Street Elite is offline  
Old
06-14-2013, 01:29 PM
  #347
Stizzle
Registered User
 
Stizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,299
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerJesus View Post
i personally would rather Lauridson than Gustavsson, Lauridson brings physicality and grit that Gus does NOT offer
Sorry, I don't think Lauridsen is quite ready. Gus is really well rounded and has shown stretches of being a good NHL defenseman. I like Lauridsen, but he has too many holes. He is an acceptable AHL call-up who is improving all the time. He is certainly an intriguing player.

Stizzle is offline  
Old
06-14-2013, 01:37 PM
  #348
Jtown
Registered User
 
Jtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Posts: 8,924
vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerJesus View Post
i personally would rather Lauridson than Gustavsson, Lauridson brings physicality and grit that Gus does NOT offer
Thats why we have schenn Coburn and Grossman.....

Jtown is online now  
Old
06-14-2013, 01:42 PM
  #349
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,869
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerJesus View Post
i personally would rather Lauridson than Gustavsson, Lauridson brings physicality and grit that Gus does NOT offer

CS is offline  
Old
06-14-2013, 01:45 PM
  #350
dawkins121
Registered User
 
dawkins121's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,401
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzle View Post
I see a lot of people throwing out possible PP combos in the last few posts. A few had Simmonds on the 2nd unit, which i don't like. His screens are super needed on the first unit and he also is good at cleaning up rebounds.
Yeah I don't see why anyone would want to break up the umbrella. I loved the way Hartnell and Simmonds worked together down low when they were together. Our three best puck movers Giroux, Timonen, and Voracek cycling up high while Simmonds and Hartnell were constantly rotating in front of the net with one right in front always ready to pull the trigger and the other down low behind the goal ready to make the feed into the slot. Just beautiful chemistry all around.

dawkins121 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:19 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.