HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Flyers sign Mark Streit to a multi-year deal [4 yrs, $21m; $5.25 AAV] (post #1)

Closed Thread

Old
06-14-2013, 09:25 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

vCash: 500
Why not reunite Timonen and Coburn now? I like the idea of putting Gus with Grossmann. Grossmanns positional awareness and overall strength can somewhat makeup for Gus's lack thereof.

I'd try...

Timonen-Coburn
Streit-Schenn
Gustafsson-Grossmann

Old
06-14-2013, 09:35 AM
Kevin Danko
Couple of Drinks Bud

vCash: 897
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Why not reunite Timonen and Coburn now? I like the idea of putting Gus with Grossmann. Grossmanns positional awareness and overall strength can somewhat makeup for Gus's lack thereof.

I'd try...

Timonen-Coburn
Streit-Schenn
Gustafsson-Grossmann
Got a feeling that Gus wouldn't be getting destroyed as much either.

Old
06-14-2013, 09:40 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Fair enough. I am in full agreement that Streit will help the 2nd pp unit, and that Timonen should in no way be replaced by Streit on the top unit. I just never looked at the second unit as a problem last year or even as being bad. Never thought they were necessarily good, but I was never concerned with "fixing" the second unit, outside of the obvious desire to always want to improve.
If that's the way they decide to go he'll most definitely provide some stability. The point on the 2nd unit was a carousel. From what I can remember they used Foster, Mez, Gus, Gervais, Read and Couts there at various points in the season and I believe the use (IMO misuse) of Couturier and Read at the point negatively effected the 2nd units productiveness.

Old
06-14-2013, 09:50 AM
FLYERSFAN18

Its pretty simple IMO. We have our #1 PP unit from last year that should be kept intact at least to start the season.

Harntell/Schenn-Giroux-Simmonds
Timonen-Voracek

Hartnell/Schenn-Couts-Read
Streit-Gus

Now if Timonen gets hurt or is ineffective on the #1 unit then Streit would be first in line to take his spot. Thats the way I see it.

Old
06-14-2013, 09:53 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:

I'd try...

Timonen-Coburn
Streit-Schenn
Gustafsson-Grossmann
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYERSFAN18 View Post
Its pretty simple IMO. We have our #1 PP unit from last year that should be kept intact at least to start the season.

Timonen-Voracek

Streit-Gus

Now if Timonen gets hurt or is ineffective on the #1 unit then Streit would be first in line to take his spot. Thats the way I see it.
I like both of these ideas. I think they are going to bring in another winger in the offseason that could get some PP time as well. Could be Gagne, could be another winger, but I think someone else is going to be brought in who can contribute on the PP from time to time (injuries, slumps, etc).

Old
06-14-2013, 09:53 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYERSFAN18 View Post

Timonen-Voracek

Streit-Gus

If gagne is resigned, I'd try

Hartnell-Giroux-Schenn
Timonen-Voracek

Gagne-Couturier-Simmonds
Streit-Read

Old
06-14-2013, 09:54 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

It's all well and good that the Flyers are improving their special teams with Streit but we will need to see much better 5 on 5 play particularly against tight checking teams. Streit should be able to help with the transition game hopefully..much better than the trifecta of duds in Gervais, Foster and Huskins we had to recycle due to the loss of Carle..

Old
06-14-2013, 10:00 AM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:

Hartnell-Giroux-Schenn
Timonen-Voracek

Gagne-Couturier-Simmonds
Streit-Read
I like that idea as well. I was only using players currently under contract, but i do like Read on the point on the power play

Old
06-14-2013, 10:03 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:

Hartnell-Giroux-Schenn
Timonen-Voracek

Gagne-Couturier-Simmonds
Streit-Read
I don't understand fans

People cry about not giving our young players a chance, and then they go and make lines that that...

Gus needs to be on the 2nd unit

Old
06-14-2013, 10:06 AM
SolidSnakeUS

For the PP, I'd do this:

Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek
Timonen-Streit

Read-Schenn-Simmonds
Gus-Couturier

Old
06-14-2013, 10:12 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
For the PP, I'd do this:

Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek
Timonen-Streit

Read-Schenn-Simmonds
Gus-Couturier
Couturier was pretty bad when on the point last year, that's not to say he can't improve but I think I'd go with an intact 1st unit:

Hartnell-G-Simmonds
Kimmo-Voracek

and add Streit to the 2nd unit with Gus:

Read-Schen/Couturier-Couturier/Schenn
Streit-Gus

Old
06-14-2013, 10:27 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

I agree with Bill ...he addresses a need but at a potential cost that somewhat nullifies the potential returns. Streit will need to be better than average all around (not just defensively). It's not as bad as the Bryz situation but it could be similar.

Hopefully, Streit doesn't become a whipping boy if his defense is worse than Carle's and his offense is not as productive as it has been..

Quote:
It is still debatable whether Streit is the right player for the Flyers given his contractual price tag, age and average-at-best defensive skills.

Old
06-14-2013, 10:31 AM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:

Hartnell-Giroux-Schenn
Timonen-Voracek

Gagne-Couturier-Simmonds
Streit-Read
Id put read in gagne's spot and move gus on the 2nd unit. I think he needs some time developing on the PP.

Old
06-14-2013, 11:05 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
I agree with Bill ...he addresses a need but at a potential cost that somewhat nullifies the potential returns. Streit will need to be better than average all around (not just defensively). It's not as bad as the Bryz situation but it could be similar.

Hopefully, Streit doesn't become a whipping boy if his defense is worse than Carle's and his offense is not as productive as it has been..
Probably a debate better had when we know what the contract pricetag will actually be.

Old
06-14-2013, 11:30 AM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post

Well Streit will be under the microscope with Flyer fans. Thats just how it is when someone is brought in via trade or free agency. People will have to be patient with the guy if he does sign. there will be a adjustment period for chemistry and such.

Old
06-14-2013, 11:35 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
I don't understand fans

People cry about not giving our young players a chance, and then they go and make lines that that...

Gus needs to be on the 2nd unit
You're criticizing the wrong person then. Simply because I'm not the biggest Gus fan. I think he most certainly needs to be given an full time roster spot, because I think he deserves the look after his strong play to end the season, but if the units i posted worked well, I don't see a reason to simply force a young guy onto the point simply because he's young and needs experience, because I don't necessarily see the upside that some on here seem to think he has.

Don't get me wrong, I'll be more than happy to eat a nice roasted crow for dinner if he proves me wrong, but until I see his game progress over a longer stretch of games...

Old
06-14-2013, 11:39 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
You're criticizing the wrong person then. Simply because I'm not the biggest Gus fan. I think he most certainly needs to be given an full time roster spot, because I think he deserves the look after his strong play to end the season, but if the units i posted worked well, I don't see a reason to simply force a young guy onto the point simply because he's young and needs experience, because I don't necessarily see the upside that some on here seem to think he has.

Don't get me wrong, I'll be more than happy to eat a nice roasted crow for dinner if he proves me wrong, but until I see his game progress over a longer stretch of games...
I honestly think we're in an awesome position where we can literally roll all three pairings out fairly evenly at even strength.

I think that will save some tread on the tires for Timonen and Streit as well.

We have a unique opportunity here this upcoming season with the defense we've assembled. It's not every day that we can theoretically throw all three pairings out to log significant minutes.

Let's not waste it by being skittish with Gustafsson. There's no reason for it.

Old
06-14-2013, 11:56 AM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

Quote:

i would take my chances with Gus on the bottom pairing then Bruno Gervais. We dont know what Gus can become. We know that Gervais ****ing blows. I would deal Mez regardless if they sign Streit. the guy is made of glass and cannot be trusted to stay healthy.

Timonen/Schenn
Streit/Coburn
Grossman/Gus

As much as I dislike Coburn I think that is a pretty solid defense. Not anything near the top of the league, but miles better then last season.

Old
06-14-2013, 12:08 PM
Stizzle

I see a lot of people throwing out possible PP combos in the last few posts. A few had Simmonds on the 2nd unit, which i don't like. His screens are super needed on the first unit and he also is good at cleaning up rebounds.

Old
06-14-2013, 01:18 PM
RinaldoZac
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
i would take my chances with Gus on the bottom pairing then Bruno Gervais. We dont know what Gus can become. We know that Gervais ****ing blows. I would deal Mez regardless if they sign Streit. the guy is made of glass and cannot be trusted to stay healthy.

Timonen/Schenn
Streit/Coburn
Grossman/Gus

As much as I dislike Coburn I think that is a pretty solid defense. Not anything near the top of the league, but miles better then last season.
i personally would rather Lauridson than Gustavsson, Lauridson brings physicality and grit that Gus does NOT offer

Old
06-14-2013, 01:22 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerJesus View Post
i personally would rather Lauridson than Gustavsson, Lauridson brings physicality and grit that Gus does NOT offer
And Gus brings offensive ability... which Lauridson does not offer. Overall, OL was impressive in limited showing, but took a number of bad, bad penalties and offered next to nothing in the way of puck movement. Given the composition of the unit, the team benefits more from Gus than they do from OL.

Old
06-14-2013, 01:29 PM
Stizzle

Quote:
Sorry, I don't think Lauridsen is quite ready. Gus is really well rounded and has shown stretches of being a good NHL defenseman. I like Lauridsen, but he has too many holes. He is an acceptable AHL call-up who is improving all the time. He is certainly an intriguing player.

Old
06-14-2013, 01:37 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Thats why we have schenn Coburn and Grossman.....

Old
06-14-2013, 01:42 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:

Old
06-14-2013, 01:45 PM
dawkins121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzle View Post
I see a lot of people throwing out possible PP combos in the last few posts. A few had Simmonds on the 2nd unit, which i don't like. His screens are super needed on the first unit and he also is good at cleaning up rebounds.
Yeah I don't see why anyone would want to break up the umbrella. I loved the way Hartnell and Simmonds worked together down low when they were together. Our three best puck movers Giroux, Timonen, and Voracek cycling up high while Simmonds and Hartnell were constantly rotating in front of the net with one right in front always ready to pull the trigger and the other down low behind the goal ready to make the feed into the slot. Just beautiful chemistry all around.

Closed Thread