HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should they change the formula of Overtime in the playoffs?

Old
06-14-2013, 07:35 AM
canadiancreed
Exiled from paradise

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifthgear View Post
I forgot to mention that it´s ridicoulous the way it is right now!!
Funny I was going to say that hockey has shootouts period is ridiculous right now.

*puts money on playoff games being decided by shoots in ten years if the current administration is still in charge*

canadiancreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 07:37 AM
Fifthgear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillhockey View Post
It wouldn't last 3 ots if refs had balls to call those penalties, players get tired and make mistakes all the time in ot periods.
I agree 100% with you, it wouldn´t last 3 OT´s

Fifthgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 07:38 AM
llamateizer

So having Pierre Dagenais scoring the shootout GWG for the stanley cup after playing 2 minutes the whole game is exciting?

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 07:39 AM
Fifthgear

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiancreed View Post
Funny I was going to say that hockey has shootouts period is ridiculous right now.

*puts money on playoff games being decided by shoots in ten years if the current administration is still in charge*

Old
06-14-2013, 07:42 AM
Fifthgear

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamateizer View Post
So having Pierre Dagenais scoring the shootout GWG for the stanley cup after playing 2 minutes the whole game is exciting?
Yes and many of people around me think the same as me but not accordingly in this thread? By the way, i mean 3OT´s

Old
06-14-2013, 07:43 AM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

I'm in the very small minority that loves the way OT works in both the regular season and the playoffs. I'm good with the 5 minutes of OT then the shootout in the regular season, but using shootouts in the playoffs just wouldn't work IMO. Continuous OT is the way it should be.

ZARTONK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 07:50 AM
Fifthgear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZARTONK View Post
I'm in the very small minority that loves the way OT works in both the regular season and the playoffs. I'm good with the 5 minutes of OT then the shootout in the regular season, but using shootouts in the playoffs just wouldn't work IMO. Continuous OT is the way it should be.
I respect your opinion, but 3 Ot´s ??? Maybe OT´s is ok but not like the way it is right now!

I don´t know but maybe 5-5 first OT, 4-4 2nd OT, etc ...

Old
06-14-2013, 08:02 AM
Fifthgear

I have the best of solutions, first OT regular nets, 2nd OT handball nets, 3rd OT soccer nets

Old
06-14-2013, 08:07 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Yeah, I like Soccer's offside rule too.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 08:24 AM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

Quote:
I respect your opinion, but 3 Ot´s ??? Maybe OT´s is ok but not like the way it is right now!

I don´t know but maybe 5-5 first OT, 4-4 2nd OT, etc ...
I know what you mean, but the odds of a game going to triple OT are pretty low, there's no need to change the whole playoff OT structure over that.

This year's Conference Quarterfinals games 47 games, 17 of those went to OT, none went further than that.

During the Conference Semis, on the 24 games 4 went to OT, one went to double OT, and nothing further.

During the Conference Finals, on the 9 games two went to double OT.

And we just saw one triple OT in total.

So on 81 playoff games 21 went to single OT, 3 went to double OT, and 1 went to triple OT.

Last edited by ZARTONK: 06-14-2013 at 08:37 AM.
ZARTONK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 08:34 AM
habfaninvictoria

Ummm.... no .... The Stanley cup is the hardest trophy in all of sports to win. No other sport requires such a marathon. To win the cup you need a combination of skill, grit, determination and STAMINA. OT is one of the things that makes hockey unique, why change it? Because you wanted your beauty sleep? Because you have the attention span of a gnat? It was exciting. I watched the whole game, even my wife, who hates hockey, actually became interested during the 3rd OT.

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 08:36 AM
Burke the Legend

go back to soccer forum

the shootout in regular season is already a joke

Burke the Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 08:38 AM
AllanMTL46
Alexei BOOM Emelin

Perfect as it is. Might be long sometimes for some, but I find it exciting and fair in the end.

AllanMTL46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 08:46 AM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

The most exciting hockey is playoffs sudden death OT, getting rid of it is an idea I don't even want to think about.

Strik_IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 09:14 AM
Price My Man Crush

Those who wants to see a change: keep dreaming. Btw, it's funny. The OP has an avatar with a soccer player and his teammates holding the World Cup.

Hey man, hockey is not ****ing soccer.

Price My Man Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 09:27 AM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

Jee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 09:32 AM
Mad Habber

Quote:
Exciting ???? 3rd OT , i bet that 50% of people went after 2nd OT to sleep and yes i´m soccer fan also but they took in consideration the fans that are watching and don´t tell me penalties in soccer to end a game aren´t exciting!
NHL should take ideas from soccer and also remove that stupid 1 pt. when you lose a game in OT !!!
Why bother playing the game? Just go straight for the shootout. Go ahead and sell tickets for that. They can do the same in soccer. No game, just penalty kicks. You win, you move on. You lose, see ya next year. Now that's a sport for ya.

Or maybe what we should do is send some hockey fans to fix soccer and it's long boring games. Let's see, the field is too big, and there are too many people on it. The field should be 200'x85' and have no more than 5 people plus 1 goalie on the field from each team. This stupid ball that rolls out of bounds isn't very good either. Should have boards, so the ball bouces back and play continues. And what is it with these guys that fall down in tears all the time because someone got too close to them and may or may not have brushed up against them. Allow body contact, that will stop these wimps from rolling around on the field a bit. There you go. I think soccer has been improved.

But if you really want to make it the best sport in the world, here is what you do. After implementing the changes listed above, you flood, then freeze the surface of the field. Now the field has become too slippery so we should give them something to help the players get around. This is just a suggestion, but how about putting these metal blades on the shoes of the players. They'll eventually get the hang of it, I'm sure. You give the players some sticks so they can whack the ball or each other, which ever they prefer. Now I know the ball poses a problem now. It's too bouncy and guys will be hitting each other in the face trying to whack the ball on the first bounce. So you replace the ball with a smaller little disk of vulcanize rubber. This way it can slide, glide, roll and bounce a little. Your nets may be too big now, so you should reduce their size a bit.

There you go, we've improved soccer a full 100%. That was fun. Now I'm a fan. You want to hear my suggestions to improve basketball, after all, they play all this time and score so many points that they are basically meaningless points. We start by flooding, then freezing the court...

Hockey is fine the way it is and if you want to watch soccer, no one is stoping you from changing the channel or buying tickets to a soccer game.

Mad Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 09:34 AM
HeShootsHeScores

The best thing about this sport is actually Playoffs overtime, and the more OT periods are being played, the better.

These are emotional epic battles for the big prize.

HeShootsHeScores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 09:47 AM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZARTONK View Post
Agree with you.

These young men in the NHL are incredible shape and they make millions doing what they love. If they have to work a little extra, so be it.

I watched every minute of Game 1. I think most hockey fans were not complaining. Maybe if they were Bruins fans or if you lost some sleep.

SouthernHab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 09:52 AM
Joe Cole

They should leave it as is. Part of what makes hockey great is endurance.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 10:00 AM
Fifthgear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mover View Post
Those who wants to see a change: keep dreaming. Btw, it's funny. The OP has an avatar with a soccer player and his teammates holding the World Cup.

Hey man, hockey is not ****ing soccer.
Is this forum where you can give your opinion or what? To explain if you don't mind, my Avatar is La Roja (Spain) who as won the Euro, The world Cup and the Euro back to back to back. My origins are from Spain but born in Canada. Hockey is my game and soccer is about right there also. clear enough?

Go habs go and Espana La major !!!

Old
06-14-2013, 10:15 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Shoot outs made regular season games kind of a joke and crapshoot. will NEVER happen to playoff games, no thanks.

Since when is more hockey a bad thing?

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 10:18 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Never. They should change the rules to allow 1 ot period in the regular season before shootouts.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 10:21 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

we should have a poll, just so it can be something like 600-1 in favor of NO, so no one ever brings back such an embarrassing idea.

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 10:32 AM
walsy37

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Never. They should change the rules to allow 1 ot period in the regular season before shootouts.
Bingo - even at 4 on 4 for a period is better than the stupid shootout.

For the OP who keeps writing "3OT", the game was the most watched in the US since 1997! If you listen to US sports radio, they all say that OT hockey in the POs is the best thing in the sport and someone wants to take that away. Takes a soccer fan to come up with such a moronic idea.

walsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote