HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part LXII - All Talk From Around the League Here

Closed Thread

Old
06-13-2013, 05:30 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
I would disagree with this. IMO Filpulla is can do many things well, he has a pretty similar skillset to Plek. Not a great fit for the Habs, but should be worth quite a lot to some teams. He'd be a nice upgrade from Bozak for the Leafs.
17 points in 41 games, he wouldn't be an upgrade on much. Plus he is 17th on the wings with 0:36 per game of SH time so comparing him to Plekanec is downright comical.

Old
06-13-2013, 05:35 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Most years a more offensive minded defense wins the cup, like LA, Chicago, Detroit, Pittsburgh.

Boston's defense is also helped by having a lot of good defensive forwards and a conservative system. If you put those 6 d-men playing for Edmonton Colorado or Florida they probably look closer to average. Much like the JM system made our defense look better in 2010.
I wouldn't consider those any more offensive minded than the Bruins team that won the cup. The only common denominator was that they had a franchise defenseman and Norris winner/finalist on all these teams. Doughty, Lidstrom, Keith, Letang.

The remainder of the defense corps on these teams is hardly what I would have considered soft, or mostly offensive minded players. While we have a good mix here in Montreal the only well balanced defenseman in the league of the players mentioned above is Subban. Gorges is ok defensively but hardly intimidating, and the only other partially physical defenseman we have is Emelin and I find him overrated on these boards. He's a great bottom pairing defenseman, but that's it.

The transition to a more robust style of defending is the only way we stand a change at prolonged post-season success. This is only going to be achieved once Tinordi establishes himself a regular and we ship out one of Markov/Diaz for more rounded and physical replacement.

Old
06-13-2013, 05:54 PM
Roulin

Quote:
17 points in 41 games, he wouldn't be an upgrade on much. Plus he is 17th on the wings with 0:36 per game of SH time so comparing him to Plekanec is downright comical.
I wish the Habs used Plek like that! IMO it makes more sense to have players like Helm and Miller play a lot of PK minutes. Regardless, Filpulla is a very good two way forward, plays against tough opposition, is fast and smart. Producing .5ppg regularly, with the odd 66pt season like 2011-12, in the toughest division in hockey, definitely has value.

Old
06-13-2013, 06:07 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Fillippula is similar to Ryder, not as good a scorer but better player, pretty one dimensional player, somebody will sign him at 4.5-5 mil cap hit...pass.

We can use Gallagher on the 2nd line and sign a guy like Torres or Cooke. We could even use Prust on the 3rd line if we have to.

I was thinking Clowe and Clarkson would cost a fortune, but the way Bickell is playing I think he will hit the market and HE will be the one getting crazy money instead of Clowe/Clarkson. Horton's also made himself some bucks at playoff time. Ryder and Iginla will also get good money. I'm not saying we'll get one of those guys, but I think their price may be lower than I first thought.
Desharnais is close to Ryder. Filppula can matchup up against tougher matchups (not shutdown role). Swapping DD for Filp would improve the lineup IMO. Well worth the ~1M more of cap it'd take since by default he'd give easier matchups to Eller and Plekanec increasing their production. Gives the coaching staff more options too since he's pretty good at faceoffs and adept at playing both C/W.

Old
06-13-2013, 08:22 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Desharnais is close to Ryder. Filppula can matchup up against tougher matchups (not shutdown role). Swapping DD for Filp would improve the lineup IMO. Well worth the ~1M more of cap it'd take since by default he'd give easier matchups to Eller and Plekanec increasing their production. Gives the coaching staff more options too since he's pretty good at faceoffs and adept at playing both C/W.
Would be a short sighted move, lateral one at best.

Old
06-13-2013, 09:15 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Would be a short sighted move, lateral one at best.
What argument would you use to back this opinion?

I'd say lateral at worst:

- can be used without sheltering defensively: Gives more opportunity to shelter Galchenyuk and less worry on matchups
- similar in age
- 66 point career high on playoff team during the season Desharnais got his 60 point career high on loterry team
- Career average ~40-45 point production
- versatile: LW, C, PP, occational PK, 3rd line, 2nd line - many different linemates
- ~52% faceoffs
- Cup Ring
- over 100 playoff games experience - would be tops on the Habs
- 41 points in last 65 playoff games
- Not that different in cap hit: est 4.0-4.5M (similar to Hudler seems plausible)
- average size

For 0.5M - 1.0M more, I can't see how one can argue lateral at best unless you weight this past season as the main basis of future production.

Old
06-13-2013, 09:34 PM
StellerEller
Canada's Team

vCash: 100
Quote:

- can be used without sheltering defensively: Gives more opportunity to shelter Galchenyuk and less worry on matchups
- similar in age
- 66 point career high on playoff team during the season Desharnais got his 60 point career high on loterry team
- versatile: LW, C, PP, occational PK, 3rd line, 2nd line - many different linemates
- ~52% faceoffs
- Cup Ring
- Not that different in cap hit: est 4.0-4.5M (similar to Hudler seems plausible)
- average size

For 0.5M - 1.0M more, I can't see how one can argue lateral at best unless you weight this past season as the main basis of future production.
That's actually a pretty cool idea. Especially because he can play wing, and we can undo the C logjam by putting him there if need be.

Old
06-13-2013, 10:04 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
watching leafs fans jerk each other off in the orr signing thread is hilarious. toronto is fake new york as the leafs are the fake bruins. incroyable

Last edited by MasterDecoy: 06-13-2013 at 11:01 PM.
Old
06-14-2013, 07:53 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

- similar in age
- ~52% faceoffs
- Cup Ring
- average size

He's leaving Detroit because he's looking for 5 mil a year on a long term deal. No way do I sign Filippula to a 4.5-5 mil cap hit, not the type of player we need period.

"Valtteri Filppula isn't likely to play for the Detroit Red Wings next season.
Detroit, which tends to take a conservative approach to managing their salary cap, aren't likely to meet his reported demands of around $5 million annually. That's not unreasonable given that Filppula had just 17 points in 41 games in 2013, but he might still command that much on the open market where the talent pool is thin."

Old
06-14-2013, 07:56 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Note a huge loss, but a loss nonetheless for Toronto...was a big pain in the butt for sure...KHL money...

Leo Komarov confirmed reports that he will return to the KHL next season after playing just one year with the Toronto Maple Leafs in the NHL.
He posted this on his Twitter page: "Thank you Leafs organization, fans and all my komrades in Toronto for the opportunity you gave me. I have my own reason to go to Khl and hope everybody will understand it ... i hope i will be back." Komarov was a tenacious hitter and a good penalty killer, but he had a fourth-line role with the Leafs. It's being reported that he'll get more ice time and more money when he plays in Russia.

Old
06-14-2013, 08:38 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Matt Larkin ‏@THNMattLarkin 1h If anyone doubts goaltending's importance in the playoffs for a second: top two save percentages belong to Rask (.942) and Crawford (.936).
Of course a few years ago the hype was "maybe goaltending isn't so important after all!!" after it was Niemi vs. Leighton in the finals.

It's really funny to see perceptions swing so wildly depending on which team gets to the finals and how. Like how when the Ducks won it, everyone became obsessed with recreating the "perfect third line" of Niedermayer-Pahlsson-Moen. Then Chicago won it with an average goalie and suddenly elite, high-priced goaltenders were overrated. Then Boston won it and everyone became obsessed with size. And so on.

Old
06-14-2013, 09:48 AM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Of course a few years ago the hype was "maybe goaltending isn't so important after all!!" after it was Niemi vs. Leighton in the finals.

It's really funny to see perceptions swing so wildly depending on which team gets to the finals and how. Like how when the Ducks won it, everyone became obsessed with recreating the "perfect third line" of Niedermayer-Pahlsson-Moen. Then Chicago won it with an average goalie and suddenly elite, high-priced goaltenders were overrated. Then Boston won it and everyone became obsessed with size. And so on.
Both these teams were one OT away from being eliminated

Old
06-14-2013, 10:05 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:

Leighton is a journeyman but make no mistake he was outstanding that spring. He shut out the Habs 3 damn times, and absolutely carried the team at points that year. It can never be argued that goaltending isn't the single most important factor in winning, it's just a matter of which name gives you the best chance at getting that needed performance.

I agree however that there is no agreed to formula, that making a team in the image of another team who has won in years past is folly. If your team can score goals, has great goaltending and has enough players strong enough to take on the Stanley Cup marathon you have a chance.

Old
06-14-2013, 10:19 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:

Well people thought that once you saw a Leighton in the finals, it was always like that. Which it obviously wasn't. Leighton in a cup final was an exception, not the rule. Yet, with everything else you mention...there is a common denominator...size and grit is mostly always there. Wiht the Ducks, with the Hawks, to a lesser degree with the Wings but then you still have incredible talent but still need a Zetterberg, a Franzen, and still some great 3rd line with Maltby, Draper......Honestly, the formula is still there. Boston with Paille and Campbell are the Draper of Maltby of these playoffs. Or the Pahlsson and Nieds of their time. So talent always prevail but will always need that physical element in it. And great goaltending is obviously WAY MORE the rule than 1 year of Leighton....

Old
06-14-2013, 10:20 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Note a huge loss, but a loss nonetheless for Toronto...was a big pain in the butt for sure...KHL money...

Leo Komarov confirmed reports that he will return to the KHL next season after playing just one year with the Toronto Maple Leafs in the NHL.
He posted this on his Twitter page: "Thank you Leafs organization, fans and all my komrades in Toronto for the opportunity you gave me. I have my own reason to go to Khl and hope everybody will understand it ... i hope i will be back." Komarov was a tenacious hitter and a good penalty killer, but he had a fourth-line role with the Leafs. It's being reported that he'll get more ice time and more money when he plays in Russia.
Why the heck would he wrote "I hope I will be back.."....

Old
06-14-2013, 10:36 AM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Old
06-14-2013, 10:40 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
" I hope some NHL team throws stupid money at me"

Old
06-14-2013, 11:25 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Our worst fears should be getting Komarov's tweet from Emelin's twitter account.

Old
06-14-2013, 11:42 AM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Quote:
politically correct / manners... he is just being cliche

Old
06-14-2013, 11:56 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Well people thought that once you saw a Leighton in the finals, it was always like that. Which it obviously wasn't. Leighton in a cup final was an exception, not the rule. Yet, with everything else you mention...there is a common denominator...size and grit is mostly always there. Wiht the Ducks, with the Hawks, to a lesser degree with the Wings but then you still have incredible talent but still need a Zetterberg, a Franzen, and still some great 3rd line with Maltby, Draper......Honestly, the formula is still there. Boston with Paille and Campbell are the Draper of Maltby of these playoffs. Or the Pahlsson and Nieds of their time. So talent always prevail but will always need that physical element in it. And great goaltending is obviously WAY MORE the rule than 1 year of Leighton....
Was leighton as bad in thiose playoffs as people make him out to be?

Old
06-14-2013, 11:58 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Was leighton as bad in thiose playoffs as people make him out to be?
He was one of the worst goalies I've ever seen play.

And we couldn't score on him.

What a ****ing embarassment.

Old
06-14-2013, 12:05 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Le Tigre View Post
politically correct / manners... he is just being cliche
And I call it insult to injury. I mean, leave my team and laugh at me on your way home...

Old
06-14-2013, 02:12 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post

And a couple of years before that it was Biron. We just don't match up well against the Flyers.

Old
06-14-2013, 02:37 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:

for goalies making it past the first round Leighton's numbers were second only to Halak that year. If that's one of the worst you've seen then I'd like Price to be one of the worst every year.

Old
06-14-2013, 02:43 PM
BLONG7

Quote:

We were very much a perimeter team, and they had some big D who could clear the crease...

Closed Thread