HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Hemsky to Ottawa

Old
06-14-2013, 08:53 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by One M0RE YEAR View Post
Nice sell but as a sens fan i feel as though Da costa is going to turn out to be a gilbert brule type player.
I see Brule as Da Costa's floor. Odds are, he peaks as a 3rd line offensive guy who doesn't bring it physically, but still has a decent defensive game due to having an active stick and playing smart hockey. His ceiling is a bit higher than that, but I doubt he hits his ceiling. Kind of like what Sam Gagner looked like before he went on a tear this year, actually. Problem with DaCosta is that he might lose patience with the Sens because we're organizationally stacked with 3rd line C's, and he might take his game to Europe if he doesn't get a chance in the NHL soon.

If you're not interested, that's fine, I think we can all live with that.. I just wanted to clear up the misconceptions on the Brule comparisons.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 09:16 AM
Karly14

I'm a Sens fan, and I think a few of our supporters are undervaluing Hemsky. Yes, he has injury problems, but when healthy he absolutely controls the game. He really is one of the few players in the league who can do this. I've noticed in other Sens threads (not so much here), that people are saying Hemsky plays a small, soft game. This isn't the case at all. He grinds and digs, and will take a hit to make a play. If he could somehow stay healthy, he would be the perfect winger for a shooting center like Turris. The thought of a player with the vision, skill and passing ability of Hemsky, on a second line with Turris and (maybe?) Silfverberg (another great shooter), should get Sens fans excited. Of course, his health is the issue, but I think it's worth the gamble.

Karly14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 09:35 AM
JackBauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa99 View Post
I love people giving their opinion that are so well informed.
Hemsky was great this year and fully healed from his shoulder issues which is his historic problem. He took a shot off his foot blocking a shot and broke his foot. For the rest of the season he played on a broken foot but it limited his production. Had nothing to do with being injury prone, just bad luck. He would without question be on Ottawa's first line and would be a great addition for you. He is still a dynamic near point a game player and is only 30. Whatever team trades for him is going to be pleasantly surprised and will sign him to a 5 year deal at a reasonable price. Next time do a little research on a player rather than towing the HF party line.
Then keep him. I don't care if his injury was the result of dropping a couch on his foot while moving, he's made of glass. At 30, a man's bone density starts to deteriorate. He will never play a full 82 games in this league. Whether its bad luck or not, he'll find a way to get hurt at least once a season. Given that we already have players crucial to our offense like that in Spezza and Michalek, I wouldn't trade a guy who has a regular roster spot on our team for him (read: Smith/Weircioch).

JackBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 09:45 AM
One M0RE YEAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
I see Brule as Da Costa's floor. Odds are, he peaks as a 3rd line offensive guy who doesn't bring it physically, but still has a decent defensive game due to having an active stick and playing smart hockey. His ceiling is a bit higher than that, but I doubt he hits his ceiling. Kind of like what Sam Gagner looked like before he went on a tear this year, actually. Problem with DaCosta is that he might lose patience with the Sens because we're organizationally stacked with 3rd line C's, and he might take his game to Europe if he doesn't get a chance in the NHL soon.

If you're not interested, that's fine, I think we can all live with that.. I just wanted to clear up the misconceptions on the Brule comparisons.
He isnt skilled enough to play in the nhl at his size in a 2/3 role IMO..The reason I said that was because I think some fans are over rating Da Costa in a trade for hemsky. I don't think the oilers would ever make that trade. As a sens fan I would LOVE that trade.

One M0RE YEAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 09:48 AM
MandyAlwaysKnows
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny FTW View Post
Hemsky > Filppula no doubt. Problem is Hemsky will take assets to acquire.
Disagree. Filppula is a better two-way player and is healthier. He had a bad year, Hemsky has had 2 in a row.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
Truth is, I'd rather toss Edmonton a little something for Hemsky and hope he re-signs for less $, than sign Filppula for the $5mil/7 year contract someone will desperately give him on the open market in the worst UFA year of all time.

Losing a bottom-6 asset now > trying to justify Filppula's disgustingly overpaid contract two years from now and realizing how bad it is.
Then don't give Filppula that contract. Offer him 4 and that's it. I'm cool with the Sens current roster. Rather stay put then add Hemsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa99 View Post
I love people giving their opinion that are so well informed.
Hemsky was great this year and fully healed from his shoulder issues which is his historic problem. He took a shot off his foot blocking a shot and broke his foot. For the rest of the season he played on a broken foot but it limited his production. Had nothing to do with being injury prone, just bad luck. He would without question be on Ottawa's first line and would be a great addition for you. He is still a dynamic near point a game player and is only 30. Whatever team trades for him is going to be pleasantly surprised and will sign him to a 5 year deal at a reasonable price. Next time do a little research on a player rather than towing the HF party line.
lol

Just bad luck, eh? Bad luck after bad luck after bad luck. Poor guy can't catch a break.

''Hemsky was great this year''. Please. Well maybe for Oil standards, but not Ottawa standards.

The guy will never play a full season again. He'll never be a ppg player again. Stupid investment on Ottawa's part.

MandyAlwaysKnows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 09:50 AM
MoreGore

Why is Hemsky the guy that Edmonton wants to move? It isn't like they are full of vets, whihc IMO is a weakness, but anyways he might be a good fit in Ottawa but as we all know he is a risk and he is making good money. Those facts obviously lowers his worth.

So what Can Ottawa afford that Edmonton might want? No decent roster player is worth the cost to be honest. Wiercioch is now a person that stays in Ottawa due to the loss of Gonchar so it won't be him. A player like Gryba, or perhaps Condra though he is a great bottom 6er.

MoreGore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 09:50 AM
MandyAlwaysKnows
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
He isnt skilled enough to play in the nhl at his size in a 2/3 role IMO..The reason I said that was because I think some fans are over rating Da Costa in a trade for hemsky. I don't think the oilers would ever make that trade. As a sens fan I would LOVE that trade.
You obviously don't know a thing about Da Costa. He has some things/issues that may not allow him to carve out a career in the NHL, but his skill level is not one of those.

Old
06-14-2013, 09:56 AM
One M0RE YEAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
You obviously don't know a thing about Da Costa. He has some things/issues that may not allow him to carve out a career in the NHL, but his skill level is not one of those.
He has great hands/vision but I don't think his skill level is high ENOUGH (key word enough) to compensate for his size and play a 2/3 role in the nhl. maybe in 2/3 years but I doubt edmonton wants to wait that long

Old
06-14-2013, 09:59 AM
MandyAlwaysKnows
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
He has great hands/vision but I don't think his skill level is high ENOUGH (key word enough) to compensate for his size and play a 2/3 role in the nhl. maybe in 2/3 years but I doubt edmonton wants to wait that long
Sure, whatever. But it's his size, strength and skating that are the issues, not his skill, so why even mention his skill? I don't get it

Old
06-14-2013, 10:03 AM
One M0RE YEAR

Quote:
Sure, whatever. But it's his size, strength and skating that are the issues, not his skill, so why even mention his skill? I don't get it
I'm saying that he is not good enough/ a need for the oilers to want to give up hemsky for.

Old
06-14-2013, 10:20 AM
TSA0402

When you have a guy with the skill level of Hemsky, there is going to be a price. Cap really in this case isnt as important as most people make it out to be. Its not he has a Luongo/Campbell kind of contract.

Question is, would Hemsky fit better than a guy like Cammalleri. Spezza and Turris are both playmaking centers first.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 10:37 AM
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup

Hemsky is going to Vancouver

LolClarkson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 10:38 AM
Beerfish

Quote:

The guy will never play a full season again. He'll never be a ppg player again. Stupid investment on Ottawa's part.
There was a total of 16 players in the whole league who were a ppg player last year, zero from Ottawa. Hemksy was behind only Turris, Gonchar and Alfredsson and played a lot less games.

Jason spezza games played the last 4 years: 5, 80, 62, 60.

I have no problem with people not wanting Hemksy nor do I have a problem with people bringing up his injury past but I do have people posting as if the guy is garbage due to his injury past while totally ignoring skilled players on their team that have had injury histories.

Over the last three years Hemsky has played 39 more games than Sydney Crosby.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 10:39 AM
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number1RedWingsFan52 View Post
IMO Ottawa would be better just to sign one of the UFA like Clarkson, Weiss, Filppula, Horton. Hemsky is to injured prone and is'nt worth $5 million that Edmonton signed him to I cant see any body giving a prospect for Hemsky maybe a 4th rd pick at the most.
Hemsky is a way more talented player then any FA. Weiss and Horton are prone to injury too.

To answer the OP, Edm doesn't need prospects. They need to shed prospects

Old
06-14-2013, 10:42 AM
Beerfish

In any case, whoever gets Hemksy will get him at a bargain compared to what the oilers could have gotten previously.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 10:43 AM
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehner View Post
Hemsky is overpaid and a UFA at season's end, I feel like we should receive a little bit of insurance on this trade.

While Smith is on a great contract for four more years.

Thats my only problem with Hemsky straight up.
Lol he is not over paid at all his term is good. His numbers are only down cuz he is playing few minutes with bad line mates.

Old
06-14-2013, 10:43 AM
IranCondraAffair

I can understand the benefit of trading a scoring winger to Ottawa. Especially if Alfredsson retired. I really do. Some of the people in this thread are out to lunch though.

Hemsky would be option #42 on a LOOOOOONG list of possible solutions for Ottawa. At the point, Ottawa might be better off just re-signing Latendresse ( who is much younger) who'd put up similar production (less points but more hits and requires less icetime) for 1/3 the salary.

The only benefit to Ottawa in acquiring Hemsky is that he probably wouldn't cost a lot in terms of assets. He's paid wayyy too much for a team with a budget like Ottawa though.

The only thing that Hemsky has going for him was that he USED to be good, which is a kind way of saying that a girl USED to be hot in high school. Hemsky's salary, production, and injury history put him in the "single mom with 3 kids living in a trailer park" category of assets. You don't give up guys ike Smith and Wiercioch for Hemsky when there are 30 better options out there.

Re-visit this trade idea after free agency and Ottawa is scraping the bottom of the barrel after being rejected by all the good free agents and trades. Hemsky will still be there. Trust me.

IranCondraAffair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 10:47 AM
rockinghockey

A poster asked why would EDM move a vet like Hemsky, because they have Eberle and Yak as their two top RWs. Hemsky is not a 3rd liner so it makes more sense to move him. If I was EDM I would wait until the buyouts happen and the UFAs are all signed. Teams will want a top 6 winger with Hemsky's skills and they might get a bit more for him.

rockinghockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 10:50 AM
One M0RE YEAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by IranCondraAffair View Post
I can understand the benefit of trading a scoring winger to Ottawa. Especially if Alfredsson retired. I really do. Some of the people in this thread are out to lunch though.

Hemsky would be option #42 on a LOOOOOONG list of possible solutions for Ottawa. At the point, Ottawa might be better off just re-signing Latendresse ( who is much younger) who'd put up similar production (less points but more hits and requires less icetime) for 1/3 the salary.

The only benefit to Ottawa in acquiring Hemsky is that he probably wouldn't cost a lot in terms of assets. He's paid wayyy too much for a team with a budget like Ottawa though.

The only thing that Hemsky has going for him was that he USED to be good, which is a kind way of saying that a girl USED to be hot in high school. Hemsky's salary, production, and injury history put him in the "single mom with 3 kids living in a trailer park" category of assets. You don't give up guys ike Smith and Wiercioch for Hemsky when there are 30 better options out there.

Re-visit this trade idea after free agency and Ottawa is scraping the bottom of the barrel after being rejected by all the good free agents and trades. Hemsky will still be there. Trust me.
I don't really think there are that many free agents out there as good as hemsky for a scoring role, which the sens need.

Old
06-14-2013, 10:54 AM
alpine4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
Zack Smith seems to be the consensus here.
Nope, not for me... One our 3D needs to go...

either, Gryba, Borowieki or Weircioch...

alpine4life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 11:46 AM
SilverRed

Greening for Hemsky

SilverRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 11:51 AM
duul

vCash: 50
Hemsky for Wiercioch, or something built around that. One of your D needs to go and you guys definitely need more scoring depth.

duul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 11:55 AM
Benny FTW
Tool Time Travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by duul View Post
Hemsky for Wiercioch, or something built around that. One of your D needs to go and you guys definitely need more scoring depth.
No way. Wiercioch > 1 year of Hemsky

Benny FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 12:00 PM
duul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny FTW View Post
No way. Wiercioch > 1 year of Hemsky
The thing is he'll most likely resign with you guys. Of course Edmonton can add some sort of pick to sweeten the pot.

duul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 12:05 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Ryan Smyth

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine4life View Post
Nope, not for me... One our 3D needs to go...

either, Gryba, Borowieki or Weircioch...
I have no clue who Borowieki is, but I'd definitely do Hemsky for Gryba+late pick or Hemsky+late pick for Wier.

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote