Closed Thread

Old
06-14-2013, 08:53 AM
Shakey Rustie
1L

vCash: 1077
Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
It still does in Britain. What *** used to mean was a bundle of sticks.
South Park?

Old
06-14-2013, 08:54 AM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
He referred to him as a fairy, it does not mean he referred to him as being gay. Anyone with good sense would see that. He used the word in an entirely different context. My issue isn't about defending Kane, it's about defending language.

It's never just the word that is inappropriate, it's the context. When the intent behind the word is in question....ask, never assume.
Sure, the door is open either way for interpretation. He could have meant 'flying gracefully through the air'. He could also have meant the derogatory term, which you alluded to in your 'less than a manly play' reference. You yourself even suggested that was what you thought he meant by it. It also didn't help that he defended it so aggressively instead of trying to clarify which context he meant.

Old
06-14-2013, 08:55 AM
SensibleGuy

vCash: 50
The whole issue could have been avoided had Kane been wise enough to use a different word in place of the one that has obviously and inarguably come to be known as a derogatory term for gay people prior to hitting the tweet button. Perhaps "wuss" would have avoided the fuss. Unfortunately, Kane isn't that wise...

Old
06-14-2013, 09:09 AM
YearsintheWilderness

vCash: 500
Huge over-reaction.

If he had said, "he looked effeminate," would that have also been attacked?

Thought police, word police. Strange days...

Old
06-14-2013, 09:12 AM
SaintTavares

vCash: 578
I really hate the fact that he apologized (or had to). Everyone in the world has become so overly-sensitive to the slightest little thing. In his original tweet, he makes no reference to Bosh's sexuality at all. So are we supposed to now act like the word fairy doesn't refer to a small, fantasy creature? It's really ridiculous how people react to the dumbest things.

Old
06-14-2013, 09:17 AM
Potrzebie

vCash: 112
Meh. Par for the course these days. This is the product of the world becoming ever more instant and wired in the last 20 years... a powerful communication device we could only have dreamed of when I was a kid are now in the hands of every middle schooler. People think pictures of their every meal should be shared with their friends and their every thought should be shared instantly with the world... 20 years ago Kane would have made the same comment in his living room to his buddies and the world would have never known. It's stuff like this that reminds me why I have absolutely no use for Twitter.

Old
06-14-2013, 09:23 AM
Howard Chuck
HFBoards Sponsor

So, here we are in the middle of the Stanley Cup finals (and a very exciting one as well), but what gets everyone riled up? One word, written by one person on a social media site.

The world needs a thicker skin. Seriously.

Everyone I know makes fun of their stereotype as a way for us all to have a laugh, Irish, blonde, gay, native, black, white, asian whatever (OMG, I hope one of those words isn't wrong!!!). We all know that we never mean anyone harm regardless of the words that may come out of our mouths.

I wish the world would lighten up and have some fun.

Old
06-14-2013, 09:41 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 574
I heard on the radio that he used a homophobic slur on twitter, obviously I thought he used the British term for cigarette. But fairy? I'm no Kane defender but whatever. Sick of the everyone jumping on anyone that isn't completely PC. Its becoming ridiculous.

Old
06-14-2013, 10:09 AM
scelaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensibleGuy View Post
The whole issue could have been avoided had Kane been wise enough to use a different word in place of the one that has obviously and inarguably come to be known as a derogatory term for gay people prior to hitting the tweet button. Perhaps "wuss" would have avoided the fuss. Unfortunately, Kane isn't that wise...
Bingo. He likely intended no harm from either the fairy reference or the money-phone pic, but both were dumb moves and elicited the reaction he deserved.
If everyone who has ever criticized Kane is a Kane-hater, this message is for the Kane-lovers:
Think of Kane as your son, immensely talented, but far from perfect in lots of ways. As a parent, would you blindly defend his every dumb move, lashing out at the victims/critics? Or, would you take him aside, hold him accountable and try to help him grow up and be a more well-rounded person? Those of you who are closer to Kane's age may not get it, but hopefully some of you will realize that constructive criticism is a lot closer to love than to hate.
As for the fairy reference, let me say this:
Is it OK to say, you really jewed me if you feel you've been taken advantage of financially?
Is it OK to say you gyped me (same as Jewed, but a derogatory reference to Gypsys)?
Nig**r and Negro are from the Latin Niger, meaning black. They were not derogatory at one time. Things change.
Being from a visible minority, and with a huge following of young people, Kane needs to be educated, not blindly defended and coddled. I am actually pleased at how he has responded to this latest minor incident and am more hopeful that he will continue to mature than I once was.
Kane has got a choice. He can be a great hockey player who is known as thoughtless and ignorant in some of his off-ice behaviour. Or, he could grow into a great role model, off and on the ice. It's his choice, but his friends and advisors can help the process by telling him when he has made a dumb-ass move, rather than blindly defending him.

Old
06-14-2013, 10:24 AM
Snot Rocket

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
I heard on the radio that he used a homophobic slur on twitter, obviously I thought he used the British term for cigarette. But fairy? I'm no Kane defender but whatever. Sick of the everyone jumping on anyone that isn't completely PC. Its becoming ridiculous.
Couldn't agree more.

Old
06-14-2013, 10:25 AM
koth

vCash: 162
I don't think Kane did anything wrong in his original tweet. His ignorance in this case is understandable. I honestly didn't know "fairy" was seen a derogatory term for gay people.

He probably should have listened to the first few people that tried to tell him it was a derogatory term for gay people, though. It would have been seen as an innocent mistake at that point and a lesson learned. Instead he had to eat crow pretty hard.

Old
06-14-2013, 10:42 AM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Same here!

Old
06-14-2013, 10:52 AM
SCP Guy

If I was a pro athlete I would seriously consider not doing the social media thing....seems to harm more then it helps most players. Everyone is so sensitive these days I don't see the value in the risk involved for athletes....

Old
06-14-2013, 11:16 AM
jetsfan101

1. His rant about hating losing showed me nothing I hadn't seen from him on the ice. He doesn't coast, he's always getting after it. He plays the way he talked, so this didn't surprise me.

2. Fairy? Really?? When I hear 'fairy', I don't think gay or effeminent. I think of a fairy. Tinkerbell, the Tooth Fairy. So if I hear a guy is playing like a fairy, I think he's playing like a fairy would. Small, soft timid. Not gay (what does playing gay even mean??).

Reminds me of Halloween. I live in Winkler, super religious town (which I am). But some around here HATE Halloween because it 'celebrates evil/Satan/ghosts/whatever'. But you make it whatever you want to make it. If you think of it as Satan's birthday or whatever ridiculous crap you can think of, that's always what it's going to be in your own world. I choose to think of it as dressing up in fun costumes and getting candy from people. That's an awesome day!

Old
06-14-2013, 11:17 AM
Peter Petan
I Can Fly!

vCash: 1326
Can we just sticky a "Evander Kane twitter" thread? I don't think these gaffes are stopping anytime soon...

Old
06-14-2013, 11:19 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

this one...meh i can take it or leave it.

the Jewed/Gypped analogy isn't a good one, as those words are not up for interpretation. There has and is only one way those have been used/created.

I can totally understand the misuse of "fairy' when meaning "effiminate". I"m trying to think of another example but none are really coming to mind.

I agree he would have been best served taking the original posters advice that it's a derogitory term, but he obviously didn't think it was as widely recogonized as one as it is (apparently i wasn't either).

I actually ended up in a very similar situation using the expression "lets call a spade a spade". Two of my freinds told me it was racist, and i argued quite vehemently that i was pretty sure it wasn't.

I did some digging and lo and behold- it's not "meant" to be. It derives from "calling a shovel a bloody shovel", but sure enought, quite a few in the world seem to feel it's ....well...you know.

Even though i know i'm "right" and that it's not supposed to be racist, i don't use it anymore to avoid issue. it's annoying that peoples misinformation can remove words/sayings/etc that could otherwise be used, but i just don't think it's worth the fight to argue. Even less so when you've got a public profile like Evander.

I think he'll never really "learn" as he seem like a bit of a fighter/stubborn, as many competitive people are. For the best he put out the apology, but i know if it was me it would have taken me a while to swallow it (i would have initially argued it just like he did).

Old
06-14-2013, 11:22 AM
winterpeg
Sharp Dressed Man

Isn't there a point where we're so afraid to offend people, that we're actually disrespecting them more by assuming they're so damn sensitive? I have a few gay friends, and some of them (read: most) would be more offended to have people tiptoe around homosexuality, than to just talk about it like it's a normal thing and not assume it's offensive.

If we tiptoe around their sexuality like it is a condition, then we're not headed in the right direction in terms of equality. We should just talk about it like anything else.

Guess EK should have called him a butterfly.

Yikes.

Old
06-14-2013, 11:37 AM
buggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterpeg View Post
Isn't there a point where we're so afraid to offend people, that we're actually disrespecting them more by assuming they're so damn sensitive? I have a few gay friends, and some of them (read: most) would be more offended to have people tiptoe around homosexuality, than to just talk about it like it's a normal thing and not assume it's offensive.

If we tiptoe around their sexuality like it is a condition, then we're not headed in the right direction in terms of equality. We should just talk about it like anything else.

Guess EK should have called him a butterfly.

Yikes.
As an entomologist I find that both offensive and taxonomically incorrect.

Old
06-14-2013, 11:49 AM
Gm0ney

vCash: 1300
Society has pretty much come to the point where anything that could be construed as offensive to a person/group is automatically out-of-line. "Fairy" definitely could be interpreted as a derogatory term for homosexual...I've heard it used that way (I believe it was Mr. Roper on Three's Company).

There also seems to be some kind of competition to prove one's moral superiority by becoming offended on behalf of identity group. A lot of straight, white males are in the vanguard of the offended in this case.

Old
06-14-2013, 11:53 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

To me all that matters is what the intention of the person saying it was. I couldn't care less half the time if someone is offended by something cause thats on them for being so ridiculous. An the vast majority of the time the people complaining aren't of the group that its supposedly offensive towards

Old
06-14-2013, 12:04 PM
Bartho

vCash: 700
I for one will not stand for the fact that we can't use whatever derogatory terms we want without social backlash. Oh, the oppression!

Old
06-14-2013, 12:15 PM
SensibleGuy

I find it hard to believe there are people who were unaware of the word "fairy" being used as a derogatory term for homosexuals. I'm 46 and can easily remember it being used that way when I was in school - quite regularly actually. Its hardly an odd-ball interpretation. In fact I remember an episode of Seinfeld where George leaps over a puddle in an effeminate way and a group of kids called him a "Mary," obviously a play on the word fairy. Kane needs to be smarter about what he's posting. I don't think he's a homophobe and I don't think he really had any ill intent in the comment, but he's a public figure and he has to realize that everything he says is going to come under scrutiny and there are going to be lots of people reading his comments who aren't necessarily members of the Evander Kane fan club...

Last edited by SensibleGuy: 06-14-2013 at 12:21 PM.
Old
06-14-2013, 12:16 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartho View Post
I for one will not stand for the fact that we can't use whatever derogatory terms we want without social backlash. Oh, the oppression!
The issue is what you consider derogatory, most people may not. Can we not use language simply because someone out there considers it derogatory?

As someone above mentioned calling a spade a spade which isn't racist in the least. Or people being offended by the word niggardly which has absolutely nothing to do with the racial epitaph and has a completely different root to it.

Old
06-14-2013, 12:19 PM
jetsfan8

so i guess that means that elementary schools should stop reading kids fairy tales because they often use the word fairy in those books.....

good god, what is wrong with this city/world, who the heck cares if he called a basketball player soft/fairy/baby/ i dont care what who cares
seriously the world needs to pit on their big boy shoes, and stop being so sensitive
if the wors fairy is homophobic, than you might as well call the whole entire earth homophobic, cause there are many instances when people use that word

its used on this forum every gdt, when soft mottens does his fairy dances on ice

like always in this stupid city, the idiotoc media just wants a story, and a few softies who dont work during the day, and sit at home on the internet reading "politically correct lifestyles" internet sites are freaking out and having a hissy fit

seriously if the word "fairy" offends you in any way, i dont know how you survive on this earth, and what you do for a living, because if thats offensive, than youll never make it in the real world people

i nearly crapped my pants reading these "kane wants out" and "kane should be shopped" etc comments

like is there something seriously wrong woth cotizens and media in this city, cause i really dont get it, the comment wasnt offensive AT ALL

not even 0.0000000000000000000001%

people need to grow up, you will be called much worse than a fairy in life, get used to it

Old
06-14-2013, 12:19 PM
koth

vCash: 162
So after talking with co-workers, apparently I'm the only one who didn't know "fairy" is a derogatory name for gay people. But they are all older than I am, and I'm told it was used more frequently when they were younger. I really don't think a 21 year old would know this, as I'm 35 and didn't know it.

Closed Thread