HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL - Finals, Draft, Firings

Closed Thread

Old
06-13-2013, 02:54 PM
sf expat71

vCash: 500
I hope DB's taking notes. That was a phenomenal game last night, aggressive but not out of control, excellent speed especially by the Hawks. Hope it goes to 7. It's pretty fun to just watch hockey without being invested in one of the teams, especially at such a high level. That being said, I'd trade enjoyment for the ulcers and rollercoaster of seeing the Pens in there instead if I could...

Old
06-13-2013, 07:19 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

I am happy for Saad he was taken by the Hawks and not us. He wouldn't have had the opportunity to play here that he has gotten in Chicago.

Old
06-13-2013, 07:20 PM
MrBurghundy
Never forget: #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by td_ice View Post
I am happy for Saad he was taken by the Hawks and not us. He wouldn't have had the opportunity to play here that he has gotten in Chicago.
That is a team that knows how to bring in younger players while still remaining one of the top teams in the league.

Old
06-13-2013, 09:51 PM
PitthockeyFan

Chicago Success vs. Boston in Game 1 -

Simply put, I think we can say that many thought it unlikely Chicago would be able to score 4 goals in a game against Boston. The fact that the did it in Game 1 when the Pens struggled so much over 4 games can show us a lot about what the Pens are missing.

It's only one game but I think we can say make the following conclusions

1. Chicago had some good luck and bounces with their 3rd and 4th goals.
2. Hawks maintained their composure even though they were behind the Bruins almost the entire game until they tied it at three at the end of the game. And it was in front of their home crowd.
3. They were very disciplined, only getting called for 3 penalties, 2 of which were TMMOTI, over 5 and half periods.
4. They broke even on the face-offs and neutralized what was perceived as a slight edge for the Bruins.
5. They equaled the Bruins in hits.

I think we can say it's unlikely that the Pens could pull off such a feat. Why could Chicago do it as opposed to the Pens? Pens came closest in Games 3 and 4 vs. the Bruins, but by then it was too late.

1. Hawks are much more disciplined, composed and mature than the Pens.
2. The Hawks bore down hard at times when the Bruins were ahead and they kept on pushing and moving their legs.
3. I suspect the Hawks conditioning is better than the Pens.
4. Their players are faster and more physical (note how on their 1st and 4th goals their players challenged Bruins players with the puck and took it away from them).
Bickell's knocking down Seidenberg on the GWG is especially telling.
5. The hawks are younger than the Pens.
6. Pens have not made getting better at the fundamentals (like faceoffs) a priority.

Simply put, the Pens expect their talent to win them the games and overcome all the other weaknesses in their game.

Pens need to, without mentioning any players,

1. Become more disciplined and mature. They need to be composed when playing the game.
2. Get younger, faster, bigger and better conditioned.
3. They need to work at the fundamentals of the game.

What did you see that the Hawks did that the Pens didn't? What does it tell you about how the Pens are built and what they will have to change to get better?

Can the Hawks continue to play like this in game two and beyond?

Old
06-13-2013, 10:16 PM
hiptanaka

This is just wild speculation, but I'm guessing the Hawks had less "optional" practices too.

Old
06-13-2013, 10:25 PM
66-30-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiptanaka View Post
This is just wild speculation, but I'm guessing the Hawks had less "optional" practices too.
Wait, you're supposed to practise? thought it was optional for every team after every game? You learn something new everyday.

Old
06-13-2013, 10:36 PM
On Vinyl
Oh Danny Boy

Man, I thought you were the Pithockey22 for a second. As for the cup finals, I think both teams look evenly matched. Chicago had way more luck last game, though. Luck that the Pens never got. Boston probably should have ended that game in regulation/first overtime. They know how the Pens felt in the ECF now.

Old
06-14-2013, 04:15 AM
sf expat71

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
That is a team that knows how to bring in younger players while still remaining one of the top teams in the league.
I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that most other fanbases won't make as big a deal of this as we do. They only bring in young players when they have the talent and ability to outplay some of the vets, and I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but, seriously, why not us? This is almost profound for us only because we never see it. I mean, look at all the young players that made contributions for the Kings last year. Heck, the last game, if Shaw was a Pens prospect, I don't know that he'd have been on the ice to score the game winner or even dressed.

So many teams have impactful rookies playing meaningful minutes, even on playoff teams. Us, we get Tanner friggin' Glass...

Old
06-14-2013, 05:06 AM
hoyster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dueling mullets View Post
Plenty of pucks were bouncing around in front of Rask during the Pens series. Difference is that no one on the Pens was there for the bounce to become lucky. Unless of course you wanted a puck to luckily bounce into the net with no Penguin player within Chara's stick distance.
Well Chicago got one off Ference that luckily bounced in the net.

No, but I was more thinking about all of those posts Pens hit etc. One lucky bounce there and maybe...

Old
06-14-2013, 07:00 AM
MrBurghundy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf expat71 View Post
I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that most other fanbases won't make as big a deal of this as we do. They only bring in young players when they have the talent and ability to outplay some of the vets, and I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but, seriously, why not us? This is almost profound for us only because we never see it. I mean, look at all the young players that made contributions for the Kings last year. Heck, the last game, if Shaw was a Pens prospect, I don't know that he'd have been on the ice to score the game winner or even dressed.

So many teams have impactful rookies playing meaningful minutes, even on playoff teams. Us, we get Tanner friggin' Glass...
Hey at least we traded that bum Tangradi so we could let Adams and Glass get playing time on the 4th line. They're the future anyway. Not losers like Tangradi who didn't develop fast enough.

Old
06-14-2013, 07:28 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Looking like an excellent 2011 draft for the Hawks with Saad in the 2nd round and Shaw a 5th rounder!!

I won't complain that much since Saad was drafted pretty early in the 2nd and we never really had a shot at him since we picked 54th and ended up with a great pick ourselves in Harrington

Old
06-14-2013, 07:28 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Hey at least we traded that bum Tangradi so we could let Adams and Glass get playing time on the 4th line. They're the future anyway. Not losers like Tangradi who didn't develop fast enough.
I agree with the youth mentality but Tangradi was just as useless as the other 2.

Old
06-14-2013, 07:30 AM
MrBurghundy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
I agree with the youth mentality but Tangradi was just as useless as the other 2.
Agree to disagree.

Old
06-14-2013, 07:49 AM
UnrealMachine

Quote:
Looking like an excellent 2011 draft for the Hawks with Saad in the 2nd round and Shaw a 5th rounder!!

I won't complain that much since Saad was drafted pretty early in the 2nd and we never really had a shot at him since we picked 54th and ended up with a great pick ourselves in Harrington
We had a shot and picked Joe Morrow instead. Ultimately though, it was decided that 8 weeks of Brenden Morrow was worth more than Joe Morrow or Brandon Saad. Time will tell just how bad that decision was, but the good news is that you probably won't have to wait very long.

Old
06-14-2013, 08:01 AM
Al Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealMachine View Post
We had a shot and picked Joe Morrow instead. Ultimately though, it was decided that 8 weeks of Brenden Morrow was worth more than Joe Morrow or Brandon Saad. Time will tell just how bad that decision was, but the good news is that you probably won't have to wait very long.
Well, I'd be willing to bet right now that JM gets more quality time - even next season - at the NHL level than BM did (assuming/hoping he doesn't come back), and Saad looks like the real deal for the foreseeable future, so I think we can already chalk that decision up in the bad decision column.

Old
06-14-2013, 08:35 AM
specialized

The best part of watching Chicago win game one is reading all the whining in the Boston forum....lol

Old
06-14-2013, 09:15 AM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

I won't go in there but whining after losing Game 1 on the other team's ice, in 3OT? WTF.

Old
06-14-2013, 09:31 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealMachine View Post
But Saad wasn't a 1st round pick, if the Pens really wanted him and didn't care about Morrow they should have traded down and pick him up later while getting an extra pick. Anyways it's always easy to look at these drafts a few years later and realize the mistakes

Old
06-14-2013, 09:34 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
I won't go in there but whining after losing Game 1 on the other team's ice, in 3OT? WTF.
Typical Bruins. Julien also complained again about some of the Hawks embellishing, I believe it was the Chara penalty where he cross checked Shaw in the face. Seriously get up !!!

Old
06-14-2013, 09:35 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adams27 View Post
The best part of watching Chicago win game one is reading all the whining in the Boston forum....lol
I've always said this about the Bruins though, it starts with the team owner all the way to the President, GM, Coach and to the fans

From all my friends and I have a lot that have different favorite hockey teams, they are by far the worst ones. Biggest bunch of babies

Old
06-14-2013, 12:22 PM
plaidchuck

vCash: 200
Well the awards will be announced tonight, I predict no Penguins win anything putting a cherry on top of this season.

Old
06-14-2013, 12:39 PM
Waffle Fries

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidchuck View Post
Well the awards will be announced tonight, I predict no Penguins win anything putting a cherry on top of this season.
All of the big awards will be announced tomorrow. (Hart, Lindsey, Norris, Calder and Vezina)

Tonight is the Masterson, Selke, Lady Byng, Jack Adams, Messier, NHL Foundation Player Award and the GM of the Year.

Tonight our nominees are Sid for the Masterson and Shero for GM of the year.

There's no way Sid wins the Masterson because Harding should and probably will win.

Shero has a good chance to win, but I'm mad at him and don't want him to

Old
06-15-2013, 06:26 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Go Hawks

Old
06-15-2013, 06:56 AM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Quote:
Go Hawks
Hoping for a massive blowout after reading about the whining and seeing the Chara gif. I'm not a fan of Chicago but Boston has become one of my more despised teams; I'm starting to really dislike their players and it all starts with big nose.

Old
06-15-2013, 12:24 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
I'm leaning more to a Chicago win as the series progresses. Boston fans annoy me.

Closed Thread