HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

UNB Varsity Reds Thread (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
06-14-2013, 01:52 PM
Kyle Bailey
Rookie User

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS Fan View Post
I don't have a problem with players going to grad school like Cuddihy and Pierce who enrolled in the MBA program, if I'm not mistaken. The two players I mentioned were not in the MBA, but in a "Sports" Masters program. One of them did not graduate from SFX, but was allowed in because he was a good person and was recommended by some influential people. Do I really care? No. I was happy for Prids to win as he missed out in 2010 when he was injured. My point is don't disguise the program as anything other than a place for athletes to go and play a 5th year without having to enroll in an MBA or BEd program.

Further to this, I'm not interested in what the NCAA does or other schools may do for basketball players. I would guess that in the CIS, most basketball or football players doing 5th year, are likely taking undergrad courses. My focus is on CIS hockey in general and AUS in particular.
To whom it may concern,

Firstly, I would like to mention that only recently did I find out that there was a forum in which to discuss the events surrounding the UNB Men’s Hockey team, this is probably a good thing. Further, let it be known that I will not be a regular contributor to this board as I have an extreme bias towards the program. However, the discussion regarding the aforementioned “Sports” Masters program struck a nerve and I felt compelled to reply.

The first item that needs to be addressed is your distinction between the MBA program and the “Sports” Masters program. In fact, the program is classified as the Masters in Business Administration in Sport and Recreation Management. Therefore, acceptance is granted via a collaborative effort from the Faculties of Business Administration and Kinesiology. All of this information regarding the program and its acceptance criteria is simply three clicks away; however, I will make it much easier, http://www.unb.ca/fredericton/kinesi...anagement.html.

Secondly, the comment regarding “recommendations from influential people” previously mentioned. I am assuming this is a tongue-in-cheek reference to Gardiner “pulling strings” around campus. Does Gardiner play an active role in getting people into the programs they desire? Absolutely, just like every other Head Coach in the entirety of CIS Hockey. However, to say that he can march into the offices of Dr. Judy Roy at the Faculty of Business Administration or Dr. Ian Reid, the founder of the program and esteemed member of the Faculty of Kinesiology and demand acceptance into the “Sports” Masters program, is reprehensible. Several instances in the past, (and I can assure that I am as reliable as you can get on this topic), elite CIS hockey players have shown interest in enrolling at UNB in a Graduate program only to be refused admittance due to a lack of the stated requirements.

I am currently enrolled in the MBA in Sport and Recreation Management and am working diligently to graduate in the Fall of 2013. The program has taught me a lot and my current internship at Hockey Alberta has been an outstanding opportunity to get a firsthand look at the way sport organizations operate on a day to day basis. To launch a smear campaign against the program and UNB Hockey is laughable, and actually quite insulting.

I think this board is fantastic and I love the passion that AUS hockey fans have. My message is not meant to offend or disrespect anybody; I just felt it necessary to defend two things that I am very passionate about. I will not be posting on this board, unless of course another egregious statement is made on this topic. I wish you all nothing but the very best.

Sincerely,

Kyle Bailey

Old
06-14-2013, 02:49 PM
AUS Fan

Thank you very much for your input and insight, Kyle. It's great to hear from a player whom I have admired over the years and I hope you continue to chime in, bias or not. I want to assure you that I am not launching a smear campaign against UNB or anyone else. The point I was making and have made in the past was that Bryce Swan does not qualify for post-grad education by reason of not graduating from an undergrad program. I understand that there is no requirement for an applicant to have a degree and am curious as to how many in the program are non athletes. I'm happy to hear that you are still working to graduate from the program this fall. It speaks well of your commitment to your education.
I welcome you to this forum and look forward to seeing more from you. I will say that a thick skin is almost a requirement here as the barbs can sometimes cut pretty deep. For the most part, it is good natured bantering with a bit of truth thrown in now and then.

Old
06-14-2013, 03:16 PM
gleanerguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Bailey View Post
To whom it may concern,

Firstly, I would like to mention that only recently did I find out that there was a forum in which to discuss the events surrounding the UNB Men’s Hockey team, this is probably a good thing. Further, let it be known that I will not be a regular contributor to this board as I have an extreme bias towards the program. However, the discussion regarding the aforementioned “Sports” Masters program struck a nerve and I felt compelled to reply.

The first item that needs to be addressed is your distinction between the MBA program and the “Sports” Masters program. In fact, the program is classified as the Masters in Business Administration in Sport and Recreation Management. Therefore, acceptance is granted via a collaborative effort from the Faculties of Business Administration and Kinesiology. All of this information regarding the program and its acceptance criteria is simply three clicks away; however, I will make it much easier, http://www.unb.ca/fredericton/kinesi...anagement.html.

Secondly, the comment regarding “recommendations from influential people” previously mentioned. I am assuming this is a tongue-in-cheek reference to Gardiner “pulling strings” around campus. Does Gardiner play an active role in getting people into the programs they desire? Absolutely, just like every other Head Coach in the entirety of CIS Hockey. However, to say that he can march into the offices of Dr. Judy Roy at the Faculty of Business Administration or Dr. Ian Reid, the founder of the program and esteemed member of the Faculty of Kinesiology and demand acceptance into the “Sports” Masters program, is reprehensible. Several instances in the past, (and I can assure that I am as reliable as you can get on this topic), elite CIS hockey players have shown interest in enrolling at UNB in a Graduate program only to be refused admittance due to a lack of the stated requirements.

I am currently enrolled in the MBA in Sport and Recreation Management and am working diligently to graduate in the Fall of 2013. The program has taught me a lot and my current internship at Hockey Alberta has been an outstanding opportunity to get a firsthand look at the way sport organizations operate on a day to day basis. To launch a smear campaign against the program and UNB Hockey is laughable, and actually quite insulting.

I think this board is fantastic and I love the passion that AUS hockey fans have. My message is not meant to offend or disrespect anybody; I just felt it necessary to defend two things that I am very passionate about. I will not be posting on this board, unless of course another egregious statement is made on this topic. I wish you all nothing but the very best.

Sincerely,

Kyle Bailey
I have no doubt about this man's sincerity and commitment to the program. One of my all-time favourites in the UNB program

Old
06-14-2013, 03:39 PM
STUTOMMIES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Bailey View Post
To whom it may concern,

Sincerely,

Kyle Bailey
Without mentioning a name, some of the Profs in the Kines program at UNB whole heartedly disagree with you Mr. Bailey and they say that Gmac wields a very big stick and gets his way much of the time. I do not doubt your own personal dedication to the program and your studies, good on you, but I have my doubts as to all the requirements being met by every hockey player being accepted into the program.

So thanks for the input, it was fun to read.

Last edited by DaveG: 07-13-2013 at 07:03 AM.
Old
06-17-2013, 11:10 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
So here is how the roster looks right now (feel free to make any corrections that I may have missed/do not know about):

CONFIRMED NOT RETURNING (9)

Pridham (eligibility)
Swan (eligibility)
Campbell (eligibility)
Denny (eligibility)
Fullerton (eligibility)
LaCosta (eligibility)
Lynes (injury)
Todd (pro)
Fillier

RETURNING (15)[/U][/B]
(D) Kidd
(D) Wright
(D) Desnoyers
(D) Priamo
(D) Robertson
(D) Shutron
(F-C) Culligan
(F-LW) Carroll
(F-RW) Nesbitt
(F-C) Braes
(F-LW) Critchlow
(F-RW) MacNeil
(F-LW) Houde-Caron
(F-C) MacDougall
(F) Salituro
NEW RECRUITS (7)

(G) Charles Lavigne
(F-C) Ben Duffy
(F-LW) Mike Thomas
(F-RW) Dylan Willick
(F-RW)Cam Maclise
(F-RW)Brandon Hynes (rumour)
(D) Jordan Murray (rumour)
Plus (3)
(G) Joel Vienneau
(D) Kevin Cutting
(D) Matt Petgrave

So ... that totals 14 forwards and 9 Defense for 23 skaters and 2 Goalies (if everyone shows up). I believe Salituro is the odd man out in this math, but you never know. This also means there is no 'spare' card for a Christmas recruit.

9 'D' leads me to believe that someone on the list isn't coming back (Wright/Kidd).

Foyle - did you ever hear what came down at the AUS meetings hosted by UNB a few weeks ago? Did the 'injured reserve' idea pass?

Old
06-17-2013, 11:17 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer View Post
Plus (3)
(G) Joel Vienneau
(D) Kevin Cutting
(D) Matt Petgrave

So ... that totals 14 forwards and 9 Defense for 23 skaters and 2 Goalies (if everyone shows up). I believe Salituro is the odd man out in this math, but you never know. This also means there is no 'spare' card for a Christmas recruit.

9 'D' leads me to believe that someone on the list isn't coming back (Wright/Kidd).

Foyle - did you ever hear what came down at the AUS meetings hosted by UNB a few weeks ago? Did the 'injured reserve' idea pass?
I don't expect Wright to be back...I thought he was only planning on being here for 4 years all along.

With the roster cap now a situation like you mentioned with a guy like Salituro is interesting...if the opportunity presents itself do you bring in a new recruit and drop a guy who has been on the team for a couple years before his eligibility is up/he graduates? Would be a tough decision to make.

Also, with the roster cap does that mean only 23 guys who can play during the season? Could you theoretically carry more players, so long as they don't see any ice time in a game? Basically, could you 'redshirt' a guy for a year..have him practice with the team all year, and then have him on the 23 man roster the following season? If so, I could see this becoming more of a trend, not so much with the top CHL players obviously since they will find playing time somewhere right away, but with some of the lower level type guys.

Last edited by UNB Bruins Fan: 06-17-2013 at 11:28 PM.
Old
06-18-2013, 08:20 AM
FreddtFoyle

I haven't heard yet what they resolved at the AUS meetings. I'll be looking into it (i.e. next time I bump into the AD ...)

That is Keevin Cutting (two e's) by the way. Neither Cutting or Petgrave have been confirmed publicly by UNB or the players themselves, so I wouldn't get too excited yet.

Back at the Senior's Night, Wright made it pretty clear he wasn't coming back. Of course that could always change. It sounded then like Kidd might be back, which would certainly be a good thing.

Fillier has his Geomatics degree and was ready to move on. Be very surprised if he came back.

I can't see any reason why a player can't red shirt in any sport. You're not on the roster - you're just a "normal" student. That is certainly what happens in the NCAA - they only have four (4) years of eligibility, so often recruits who aren't studs spend the first year as a redshirt - practicing with the team but not playing.

Old
06-18-2013, 09:42 AM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
Also, with the roster cap does that mean only 23 guys who can play during the season?
Actually 22 (I mis-spoke when I said 23)

Only 22 unique skaters can dress for a team over the entire season (plus unlimited goalies).

AUS Men’s Hockey roster cap adjusted to 22

At the 2012 AUS annual general meeting, a motion was passed to implement a cap on AUS men’s hockey rosters at 21 skaters and unlimited goalies, effective for the 2013-14 season.

This week, a motion was passed to adjust the number of skaters under this rule to 22 instead of 21
[link]

A team could hold a player back to save a card for a Christmas recruit, or activate the player when someone is injured in the first half and skip the recruit. I'd hate to be the player on the bubble.

It's worth noting that 4 complete lines is 20 skaters, there is a cap at 22, so that gives you two spares, Dman #9 and forward #13. Dman #10 and Forward #14 are the guys on the outside looking in.

If you remove Wright from above and everyone shows up, they're at 22.

Quote:
Could you theoretically carry more players, so long as they don't see any ice time in a game? Basically, could you 'redshirt' a guy for a year..have him practice with the team all year, and then have him on the 23 man roster the following season?
Yup - in essence every student playing Senior and Rec is red shirting.

Old
06-18-2013, 10:05 AM
FreddtFoyle

Gardiner has said in the past that he likes to have eight d-men - six for each game and two spares - with all eight for practices. So I would predict that going forward he'll build his 22-man skater roster to be 14 forwards (2 spares) and 8 defencemen (2 spares).

Gardiner has also had good fortune in the last few years to have "swingmen" who can play D and up front (Todd, Denny, Hepditch, Aldred, etc.). Tim Priamo is the only current V-Red who fits that profile now.

Old
06-19-2013, 08:53 AM
Rob

If Salituro was cut would he be able to join another university right away?

Old
06-19-2013, 12:29 PM
AUS Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
If Salituro was cut would he be able to join another university right away?
If he is going into a 5th year program, yes he could. otherwise he would have to wait 1 year from his last game played, whenever that was.

Old
06-19-2013, 03:59 PM
Freddy Beach

Also if he had completed his degree and was heading into graduate school he would be able to play right away.

Old
06-19-2013, 05:14 PM
AUS Fan

That's what a 5th year program is.

Old
06-19-2013, 09:04 PM
Cishockeyguy

Petgrave and Cutting confirm to me that they are heading to UNB so I stop my recruitment of these players.

Old
06-29-2013, 09:47 AM
Rob

Just checked out the blog http://www.unbhockeyfans.com/

Confirmed they will be playing three NCAA games in Colorado.
Also, playing against Maine of January 21st which is a Tuesday. Very odd timing.

Still working on an opponent for the Pete Kelly Cup over Christmas.

Old
07-02-2013, 01:51 AM
leoleo3535

Quote:
Here is a video on Willick...looks like he will be a solid addition to the PK especially.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvjmU...ature=youtu.be
Willy can also score and does so when it matters most.
Tallied 11 playoff goals the last 2 years....led the club.

The checker out scored the "snipers" - B.Ranford, T. Bozon, C. Smith, JC Lipon, C Ully.

Old
07-04-2013, 02:54 PM
cishockeyfan

Maybe it's just me but in the past couple of years it seems UNB has shifted their view of recruiting. In years past they usually always went for the team captain or alternate, two way forward with decent junior stats and rarely below a height of 5"10. Recently it seems they get a lot more players based on their Major Junior Statistics, a lot of names with well over a point of game, many of those scoring 30+ goals a year a handful with 49+ goals, but many of these guys are much smaller than the players UNB are used to seems to be a few guys with heights of 5"8 and 5"9 or in the case of Ben Duffy 5"10 but only 165lbs.

Ability to score is good but UNBs strength has always been the players playing as a team, playing a 2 way game, lots of Hustle. I'm not saying the new guys coming in(maybe) don't do that but it seems some don't. I've read articles and comments on Ben Duffy that he has tremendous vision and offensive awareness, but he's not a great skater and is a defensive liability. In an article on Brandon Hynes (5"8 btw) he states UNB is his plan B, he quickly fell out of favour with his coach in Victoriaville for lack of effort defensively, when traded to Acadie Bathurst he was given the captains C than quickly stripped of it.

A player in the past like Wiebe all the offensive talents in the world given a first role, and gone just like that after a half season to take another shot at minor pro. A guy like Taylor Proshychen outstanding numbers in the WHL but never got on track with offence here before his conclusions and offered little to no defensive play and was 5"8 or 9?

Without looking at more of the new recruits it seems their was more great stats but undersized. Maybe it's just me being picky

Old
07-05-2013, 12:49 AM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by cishockeyfan View Post
A player in the past like Wiebe all the offensive talents in the world given a first role, and gone just like that after a half season to take another shot at minor pro
Shayne was too good for the CIS/AUS. He got an AHL deal, so I wouldn't fault him for not coming back. Tore his ACL in January - tough break.

Quote:
A guy like Taylor Proshychen outstanding numbers in the WHL but never got on track with offence here before his conclusions and offered little to no defensive play and was 5"8 or 9?
Concussions were the main problem - I don't think he had too many 100% healthy games. Also, as Foyle points out on occasion, some of these guys (Top Junior goal scorers) try to play the same way they played in junior and that doesn't work in the AUS - there are no 18-19 year-old rookie DMan to dangle around in the AUS.

Quote:
Without looking at more of the new recruits it seems their was more great stats but undersized. Maybe it's just me being picky
Might be a bit picky, but we'll have to wait and see. I agree that some of the rumored recruits are smaller, but then you have Cam Maclise at 6.3, Mike Thomas at 6.1 and Dylan Willick at 5.10 and each of these guys were captain's of their last team.

ps. I wouldn't be too upset if either a Joe or Nathan Geerbe showed up. Joe was the leading UNB scorer in 2001/02 at 5.7

Last edited by Drummer: 07-05-2013 at 12:54 AM. Reason: added ps
Old
07-13-2013, 01:22 AM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Karl Taylor

Anyone know where Karl is now - I see that Vancouver cleaned house in Chicago this past season replacing all of the coaching staff.

I found a hockey school page that Karl runs and he lists himself as a Vancouver Scout.

Old
07-13-2013, 11:22 AM
Rob

Dan Lacosta has signed on with the Cardiff Devils of the British Elite Ice Hockey League.

http://www.cardiffdevils.com/news/de...e-you-lacosta/

Nice article in the Gleaner about it today. They are actually going to pay his tuition so that he can do an MBA at the local university.

Old
07-21-2013, 09:51 AM
Rob

Anyone hear any rumours about the Pete Kelly tournament after Christmas?

Most of the NCAA teams have finalized their exhibition schedules. While I would prefer seeing a high quality NCAA team I wouldn't complain if McGill or Western came here.

Old
08-05-2013, 11:51 PM
PowrrrPlay

Send a message via MSN to PowrrrPlay
Kidd moving on with Sharks farm club SF Bulls

Old
08-07-2013, 09:56 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

I asked about Salituro when I saw coach today - it doesn't look like he'll be back this season - he's graduated.

Kidd's a tough break (to hear so late in the recruiting cycle) - that's a big spot to fill. The D so far as I can tell are eight(8) -

Desnoyers
Wright
Shutron
Robertson
Priamo
plus...
Jordan Murray
Keevin Cutting
Matt Petgrave

Old
08-07-2013, 10:18 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Is Wright coming back? I thought he was for sure done.

Old
08-08-2013, 12:03 AM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
Is Wright coming back? I thought he was for sure done.
possibly - I wasn't sure, thus the line 'as far as I can tell'.

To drop to 7 would put the pressure on Gardiner to find 2 more bodies.

Closed Thread