HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Rangers Prospects Thread (Player Stats in Post #1; Updated 7/3) *Part IV*

Closed Thread

Old
06-07-2013, 03:47 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Blob View Post
So is Skjei going to play college again and get barely any ice again? Or is he leaving and going to juniors?
This time last year he was already taking courses at Minny and looking forward to spending many years there. Funny how one season 'could' change everything.

Old
06-07-2013, 04:11 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

I wanted MCI in 2010, I still like the pick. The reason is that his skill set is unique. You don't have too many guys who are huge and have above average skating (above average compared to an average NHLer). He may become a bust, which I doubt at this point because he's very close to making it at least as a third pair blueliner, but if he pans out, we have a tough, faster version of Beukeboom, which is a hell of a player who simply cannot be acquired.

You can sign or trade for a 30 goal scorer in any given year. You can't do that with a faster, tougher Beukeboom.

Old
06-07-2013, 04:14 PM
Green Blob*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
This time last year he was already taking courses at Minny and looking forward to spending many years there. Funny how one season 'could' change everything.
I know, but I thought I read somewhere a few months back that he was possibly entertaining the option in playing juniors.

Old
06-07-2013, 04:46 PM
Joey Bones

Quote:
I know, but I thought I read somewhere a few months back that he was possibly entertaining the option in playing juniors.
What junior team has his rights?

Old
06-07-2013, 05:06 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
I wanted MCI in 2010, I still like the pick. The reason is that his skill set is unique. You don't have too many guys who are huge and have above average skating (above average compared to an average NHLer). He may become a bust, which I doubt at this point because he's very close to making it at least as a third pair blueliner, but if he pans out, we have a tough, faster version of Beukeboom, which is a hell of a player who simply cannot be acquired.

You can sign or trade for a 30 goal scorer in any given year. You can't do that with a faster, tougher Beukeboom.
Sign or trade for the Jarome Iginla and Jason Pominville's of the world? No thanks

I've never argued that MCI's skillset was anything but 'unique', I just didn't want to be that team that took such a swing with our highest pick in years when we knew this player would be helping Hank + others during their prime years, if he averaged out to be ready, conservatively, in 3 to 5 years. His upside is great(though some made lofty offensive projections), but I don't necessarily think you need that exact type of tough dman at that price. His size and skating compliment his aggressiveness, you can get players like that later on in the draft (that year Florida taking Petrovic), or acquire them like Boston with McQuaid(Gorton right?).

Either way MCI is here to stay, you just wonder will he be able to handle something Beuk made look natural on a nightly basis. MCI definitely has some of that, but playing that position and that role of resident badass takes alot of discipline, He's still young, growing pains are imminent, not exactly what you'd want during the King's prime.

Quote:
Yeah there was something said. That's why I'm uneasy about the change in programs. He's already acting like a Ranger

Old
06-07-2013, 05:09 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Bones View Post
What junior team has his rights?
Regina Pats, I think.

Old
06-07-2013, 05:16 PM
Joey Bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Regina Pats, I think.
Thanks.

Old
06-07-2013, 09:57 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:

Slow down; let's wait and see what McIIrath turns out to be before proclaiming him the next Beukeboom let alone a faster, tougher version!

Old
06-08-2013, 06:59 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

can someone explain to me how someone like Jason Wilson was signed a few years ago, but McColgan was not signed?? Wilson would be lucky to be a regular in the AHL..

Old
06-09-2013, 02:41 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
can someone explain to me how someone like Jason Wilson was signed a few years ago, but McColgan was not signed?? Wilson would be lucky to be a regular in the AHL..

1. Given his size and the "keep it simple" game, there was a slight chance that Wilson could've made it as a 4th liner. I don't see any chance of McColgan playing in the NHL.

2. One mistake does not justify the second. Just because we messed up before, doesn't mean we should mess up again.

Old
06-09-2013, 03:38 PM
end2endrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
Very true statement about our skill players lacking size.

By the way,the Bruins picked Bergeron #45(2nd rd) in 2003 and Lucic #50?(2nd rd in 2006) and we don't have one player even remotely close to either one of them.

Bergeron is the best 2 way player in hockey and is a vastly underated superstar; Lucic is the prototypical power forward.

Also, don't forget they picked Marchand at #73?(3rd rd) also in 2006 and we have nobody like him either. Nearly every player on the Bruins has size and all of them play with a chip of their shoulders!
bergeron is not even close to the best 2 way player in nhl. toews and kopitar are head over heels better than bergeron. im sure there are more but those 2 probably top the list of the top of my head

Old
06-09-2013, 03:50 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by end2endrush View Post
bergeron is not even close to the best 2 way player in nhl. toews and kopitar are head over heels better than bergeron. im sure there are more but those 2 probably top the list of the top of my head
I know he is older but Datsyuk, to me, is the best 2 way player in the league. And it's not that close.

Old
06-09-2013, 03:58 PM
Green Blob*

Quote:
Originally Posted by end2endrush View Post
Bergeron is definitely one of the best 2 way players in the game, and better than Koptiar defensively.

Old
06-09-2013, 11:29 PM
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I know he is older but Datsyuk, to me, is the best 2 way player in the league. And it's not that close.
I agree with this.

Old
06-14-2013, 12:37 PM
Vitto79

so Lindberg inviited with Hank and Hagelin for team Sweden. No fast

maybe Lindberg will make us forget the Korpikoski Phoenix deal? Heres Hoping!

Can this kid make the team as the 3rd/4th line C and challenge Boyle for ice time?
Stepan and Brassard 1-2

Old
06-14-2013, 02:31 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
so Lindberg inviited with Hank and Hagelin for team Sweden. No fast

maybe Lindberg will make us forget the Korpikoski Phoenix deal? Heres Hoping!

Can this kid make the team as the 3rd/4th line C and challenge Boyle for ice time?
Stepan and Brassard 1-2

Assuming Richards is bought out, the Rangers should trade Boyle+Pyatt for a decent third line center. Then let Miller and Lindberg duke it out for the remaining center spot.

Old
06-14-2013, 02:36 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
I thought they stated they liked Miller at wing?

It's just pain.
Old
06-14-2013, 02:48 PM
3rd Guy High

Quote:
Assuming Richards is bought out, the Rangers should trade Boyle+Pyatt for a decent third line center. Then let Miller and Lindberg duke it out for the remaining center spot.
So we can have an undefined 4th line again? No thank you.

Old
06-14-2013, 10:11 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd Guy High View Post
So we can have an undefined 4th line again? No thank you.
Let Miller, Lindberg, and Boyle form a partnership to play 3C and 4C depending on who is going what night. The third guy can play wing.

They can PK and take D zone faceoffs to get more minutes.

Fast should get a crack at 3rd line RW, 2nd unit PP, and PKing. I'm very curious to see if him and Nash have any kind of chemistry and he can be Nash's sidekick for the next half decade (yes Nash has to go back to LW).

Old
06-15-2013, 12:06 AM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
Let Miller, Lindberg, and Boyle form a partnership to play 3C and 4C depending on who is going what night. The third guy can play wing.

Fast should get a crack at 3rd line RW, 2nd unit PP, and PKing. I'm very curious to see if him and Nash have any kind of chemistry and he can be Nash's sidekick for the next half decade (yes Nash has to go back to LW).
Miller would be better served by getting some serious development time in the AHL. That's where he should spend most or all of next season.

Old
06-15-2013, 12:12 AM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
Miller would be better served by getting some serious development time in the AHL. That's where he should spend most or all of next season.
I think those 26 games will really help him. Let's see what he has in camp.

Old
06-15-2013, 11:10 AM
3rd Guy High

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post

Yes, that was my point. By trading Boyle for a 3rd line center we would be forcing either Lindberg or Miller into that role. I'd rather keep Boyle so we can use him on the 4th when either Lindberg/Miller are going.

Old
06-15-2013, 02:40 PM
Joey Bones

What happened to Hrivik? He sure as hell will get a look in camp.

Old
06-15-2013, 10:10 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Bones View Post
What happened to Hrivik? He sure as hell will get a look in camp.
I think Hrivik has a good shot at making it if he plays well. He only has Hagelin, Kreider and maybe MZA ahead of him. Other than that, it's guys like Powe, Pyatt and Asham that he has to deal with, but those can be Black Aces.

At RW, Fast and Thomas have to deal with Nash, Cally, Dorsett and probably Miller. That's 6 players who need real ice time and cannot be watching as Black Aces.

Old
06-15-2013, 10:33 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I thought they stated they liked Miller at wing?
If you remember, I wrote repeatedly that Miller is better suited at the wing before he was called up to the NHL. However, it seemed that the organizations preferred him at center. If they changed their mind, I very much welcome that, I just haven't heard that.

Either way, if we could package Boyle+Pyatt for a quality third line center, I think we'd be better off. Then Lindberg or Powe will be our 4th line center, and some combination of Dorsett, Kreider, Miller, Hrivik, Fast, Thomas and Asham as our third and fourth line wingers.

Closed Thread