HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Draft Talk Part V: Flyers own the 11th overall pick

Closed Thread

Old
06-14-2013, 11:13 AM
Boxscore
#oldNHL

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
Am I crazy for kind of hoping the Flyers draft a forward?
They should take BPA. At 11, if it were me, I'd draft Hunter Shinkaruk and watch him and Giroux turn into Toews/Kane 2.0

Old
06-14-2013, 11:23 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Am I crazy for kind of hoping the Flyers draft a forward? D-men in the draft just seem to be a lot harder to project and I would almost rather the Flyers (who have a proven track record with forwards) just keep collecting assets up front then trade them (plus a premium) for a d-man who is further along the development curve.
If they do, one of their current young forwards will probably be traded.

Old
06-14-2013, 11:26 AM
FLYERSFAN18

If they are going to pick a forward with that pick I wouldn't be opposed to trading it in a package for an elite winger like Ryan

Old
06-14-2013, 11:38 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
I am all for it if they trade down to get him. I wanted the Flyers to draft him in the 2nd rd after the top prospect's game but he will definitely be taken in the first now.
One of my friend's attended the combine and said that Samuel Morin has really climbed and that everyone was impressed with his cardiovascular conditioning, his strength and he also had a fantastic interview. One of the teams he had a great interview with? The Flyers. So, it won't surprise me if he's the guy they go with. I really want Morrissey, but after hearing that, it's probably Morin.

Old
06-14-2013, 11:48 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
One of my friend's attended the combine and said that Samuel Morin has really climbed and that everyone was impressed with his cardiovascular conditioning, his strength and he also had a fantastic interview. One of the teams he had a great interview with? The Flyers. So, it won't surprise me if he's the guy they go with. I really want Morrissey, but after hearing that, it's probably Morin.
11 is still a little early for Morin but he could very well go top 15 now. I would be worried about the Islanders at 15 and Buffalo at 16 depending on who they take at 8.

Old
06-14-2013, 11:49 AM
Flyotes
DownieFaceSoftener

All in? Nah. More-In.

Old
06-14-2013, 12:54 PM
macleish1974

If our 11th is defense: It can be anyone though I like Morrissey or Morin

But with Streit now in the mix, I would not be surprised about a forward:
Shinkaruk or even Mantha, they definitely need someone who can keep up with Giroux and Voracek

Or Homer could draft someone that was rated 58th and we all say wtf

42nd I am so hoping for MO Roy; speedy good shot and actually tough. Giroux-like, but bigger. I saw some video from the Q he looks really good but then alot I guys look good on some YT video.........

Old
06-14-2013, 01:03 PM
BernieParent

Let's play You Be Paul Holmgren (draft version only). What would your checklist look like for the 11th pick? In other words, what is your list, in order, of players whom you would want to select? As well, at what point (if any) would you trade off the pick? I'm advocating against including the Big 4 (Jones, MacKinnon, Drouin, Barkov).

I'd go with:
  • Nichushkin (long-shot drop to 11th)
  • Nurse
  • Ristolainen
  • Lindholm (again, a reach for him dropping, but JIC)
  • Zadorov
  • Morrissey
  • Pulock
  • Morin

Old
06-14-2013, 01:05 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Let's play You Be Paul Holmgren (draft version only). What would your checklist look like for the 11th pick? In other words, what is your list, in order, of players whom you would want to select? As well, at what point (if any) would you trade off the pick? I'm advocating against including the Big 4 (Jones, MacKinnon, Drouin, Barkov).

I'd go with:
  • Nurse
  • Ristolainen
  • Zadorov
  • Morrissey
  • Pulock
  • Morin
Nurse
Risto
Morin
Morrissey
Zadorov
Pulock

dont think lindolm or Nichuhskin will be there

Old
06-14-2013, 01:14 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by macleish1974 View Post
If our 11th is defense: It can be anyone though I like Morrissey or Morin

But with Streit now in the mix, I would not be surprised about a forward:
Shinkaruk or even Mantha, they definitely need someone who can keep up with Giroux and Voracek

Or Homer could draft someone that was rated 58th and we all say wtf

42nd I am so hoping for MO Roy; speedy good shot and actually tough. Giroux-like, but bigger. I saw some video from the Q he looks really good but then alot I guys look good on some YT video.........
I think at 41, McCarron or Lodge (if the flyers take defense in the 1st) or Vanelli and Bigras. Obviously if someone like Hagg or Muller drops to 41, they should rush the pick up.

Old
06-14-2013, 01:15 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

1. Nurse
2. Ristolainen
3. Pulock
4. Morrissey
5. Zadorov
6. Morin
7. Haag
8. Bigras
9. Mueller
10. Theodore
11. McCoshen

Old
06-14-2013, 01:15 PM
Psuhockey

The Coburn comparisons for Nurse spooks me enough that I hope he is gone when the Flyers pick.

1. Monahan
2. Ristolainen
3. Morrisey
4. Pulock
5. Nurse
6. Zadorov
7. Morin
8. Zykov

Last edited by Psuhockey: 06-14-2013 at 01:32 PM.
Old
06-14-2013, 01:17 PM
Stizzle

Quote:
Am I crazy for kind of hoping the Flyers draft a forward? D-men in the draft just seem to be a lot harder to project and I would almost rather the Flyers (who have a proven track record with forwards) just keep collecting assets up front then trade them (plus a premium) for a d-man who is further along the development curve.
It's no doubt the Flyers rule at drafting 1st round forwards. Sooner or later though we have to start developing high end defensemen through the draft. The NHL has changed. You can no longer just pick up real good players through free agency. This is especially true for defensemen. It is becoming rare that they make it to the market. When they do make it to free agency, the prices and years are sky high. The only way to get good young top 4 defensemen is through the draft. So the Flyers better start adapting and come around to the idea that we have to start taking shots at defensemen in the 1st.

Old
06-14-2013, 01:19 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

I hate to bring my well known player crush up again... But if we're going forward with our 1st, I want Anthony Mantha. I really think this kid is going to be a special player.

Old
06-14-2013, 01:37 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post

I'd go with:
  • Nurse
  • Ristolainen
  • Zadorov
  • Morrissey
  • Pulock
  • Morin
If I were Holmgren, Morrissey is the guy I'd draft. The more I watch him and the more and more you can see he does all the little things that great defenders do. You can also see that he really thinks the game when he's playing out there and now that he's starting to hit another growth spurt (he's already up to 6'1 and weighing in at 191 pounds), he's going to be a good sized defender. He's just as good on the defensive side as he is the offensive side and he can really skate like the wind.

On top of it, he's got a great shot from the point. It's not quite the shot that Pulock has, but Morrissey is close. He really does look like a cross between Duncan Keith/Drew Doughty/Kimmo Timonen and he's not afraid of the physical play either. Honestly, I just can't say enough good things about Morrissey.

Old
06-14-2013, 01:51 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
1. Nurse
2. Ristolainen
3. Pulock
4. Morrissey
5. Zadorov
6. Morin
7. Haag
8. Bigras
9. Mueller
10. Theodore
11. McCoshen
Same top 6 here.

Old
06-14-2013, 02:02 PM
Curufinwe

Anyone think Columbus would trade the 19th and the 27th pick for the 11th and maybe our second or third?

Old
06-14-2013, 02:07 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
Same top 6 here.
I'd put Mueller at 6 and move everyone down one spot after him.

Old
06-14-2013, 02:16 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Anyone think Columbus would trade the 19th and the 27th pick for the 11th and maybe our second or third?
I think the 19th and the 27 are worth the 11 so I don't think the Flyers would have to add.

Old
06-14-2013, 02:26 PM
Boxscore
#oldNHL

Based on who could/should be there at 11.......

1. Shinkaruk
2. Ristolainen
3. Domi
4. Morrissey
5. Zadorov
6. Pulock
7. Morin
8. Mantha

Old
06-14-2013, 02:29 PM
Curufinwe

Then I would lean towards making that trade if Columbus agreed with you. The Flyers might be able to get two of Mantha, Morin and Morrissey with those picks.

Old
06-14-2013, 02:45 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Then I would lean towards making that trade if Columbus agreed with you. The Flyers might be able to get two of Mantha, Morin and Morrissey with those picks.
If Columbus was desperate to trade up from 19, I would rather the Flyers ask for Erixon instead of the 27th pick. The Flyers might have to add something small but it would be worth it.

Old
06-14-2013, 03:20 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
If Columbus was desperate to trade up from 19, I would rather the Flyers ask for Erixon instead of the 27th pick. The Flyers might have to add something small but it would be worth it.
Eh, I am very leary of a guy who is on his third team before turning 23 (this would be team #4). I know the first trade was because he wouldn't sign, but I wasn't all that impressed with him in NY. Admittedly I haven't seen much of him since then, but I think I would rather have 19 and 27 in this draft than Tim Erixon.

Old
06-14-2013, 03:53 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Eh, I am very leary of a guy who is on his third team before turning 23 (this would be team #4). I know the first trade was because he wouldn't sign, but I wasn't all that impressed with him in NY. Admittedly I haven't seen much of him since then, but I think I would rather have 19 and 27 in this draft than Tim Erixon.
Fair point, but the first two trades, because he wouldn't sign and for Rick Nash, aren't really an indictment against his talents. He's an all around defenseman who is good at everything but doesn't really excell at any one thing. He is also caught in a logjam in Columbus with two promising defense prospects in Prout and Murray competing for time there. IMO the Flyers would be lucky to get someone as good at 27 plus Erixon is NHL ready as opposed to having to wait 3 years for that prospect to contribute.

Old
06-14-2013, 04:18 PM
coolhockeyjack
Bobby looooou

We should trade up. Trade Couturier and the pick to the Lightning for the 3rd overall pick. Draft Drouin. Him and G on a line would be a hell of a combination.

Closed Thread