Evander Kane all fired up on twitter

Closed Thread

Old
06-14-2013, 12:22 PM
jetsfan8

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintTavares View Post
I really hate the fact that he apologized (or had to). Everyone in the world has become so overly-sensitive to the slightest little thing. In his original tweet, he makes no reference to Bosh's sexuality at all. So are we supposed to now act like the word fairy doesn't refer to a small, fantasy creature? It's really ridiculous how people react to the dumbest things.
exactly
the world is soft, and im worried for the future

a few people need to be thrown back into the 60s get real, and toughen up a bit

pretty sad that this was made an issue, people need to stop with this politically correct bs,

Old
06-14-2013, 12:23 PM
SensibleGuy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsfan8 View Post
so i guess that means that elementary schools should stop reading kids fairy tales because they often use the word fairy in those books.....
No, it really just means that famous athletes need to be careful about what they post on twitter...

Old
06-14-2013, 12:26 PM
Bartho

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
To me all that matters is what the intention of the person saying it was. I couldn't care less half the time if someone is offended by something cause thats on them for being so ridiculous. An the vast majority of the time the people complaining aren't of the group that its supposedly offensive towards
Exactly!
Whenever I walk around in public, proudly sporting my swastika adorned apparel I get all kinds of dirty looks and even threats of violence. Don't these people know that for 3000 years the swastika has represented life, strength, and good luck? Sure, the Nazis co opted the symbol, but that's not at all what I intend to promote when I wear the symbol. And I bet at least 80% of the people that get offended aren't even Jews!

edit:This post is 100% sarcasm

Last edited by Bartho: 06-14-2013 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Thought the sarcasm was obvious
Old
06-14-2013, 12:26 PM
jetsfan8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
Society has pretty much come to the point where anything that could be construed as offensive to a person/group is automatically out-of-line. "Fairy" definitely could be interpreted as a derogatory term for homosexual...I've heard it used that way (I believe it was Mr. Roper on Three's Company).

There also seems to be some kind of competition to prove one's moral superiority by becoming offended on behalf of identity group. A lot of straight, white males are in the vanguard of the offended in this case.
yep pretty much every word/holiday/gesture/comment/song/food is offensive now

Old
06-14-2013, 12:28 PM
jetsfan8

Quote:
Originally Posted by koth View Post
So after talking with co-workers, apparently I'm the only one who didn't know "fairy" is a derogatory name for gay people. But they are all older than I am, and I'm told it was used more frequently when they were younger. I really don't think a 21 year old would know this, as I'm 35 and didn't know it.
i had no idea either

Old
06-14-2013, 12:34 PM
maximus tacitus
KeepKane and CarryIn

Old
06-14-2013, 12:53 PM
scelaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsfan8 View Post
exactly
the world is soft, and im worried for the future

a few people need to be thrown back into the 60s get real, and toughen up a bit

pretty sad that this was made an issue, people need to stop with this politically correct bs,
You probably weren't alive in the 60s. If you were, I guess you missed the part about racial and gender discrimination. Remember Martin Luther King? He was shot in the 60s. There were no black NFL quarterbacks till the 70s and homophobia was broadly accepted in vast swaths of society. Evander likely would not ever have had the opportunity to be talked about like this in the 60s.
Yeah, them were the good ol' days, especially for blacks and gays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartho View Post
Exactly!
Whenever I walk around in public, proudly sporting my swastika adorned apparel I get all kinds of dirty looks and even threats of violence. Don't these people know that for 3000 years the swastika has represented life, strength, and good luck? Sure, the Nazis co opted the symbol, but that's not at all what I intend to promote when I wear the symbol. And I bet at least 80% of the people that get offended aren't even Jews!
Please tell me this is some misguided attempt at humour or parody...because if it isn't, it is the most ignorant remark I have ever read on these boards.

Old
06-14-2013, 01:00 PM
buggs

vCash: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by koth View Post
So after talking with co-workers, apparently I'm the only one who didn't know "fairy" is a derogatory name for gay people. But they are all older than I am, and I'm told it was used more frequently when they were younger. I really don't think a 21 year old would know this, as I'm 35 and didn't know it.
Fairies wear boots? Black Sabbath?

Yeah, ok, that was late 1960s, early 1970s and not really the most popular song on that album. But we used the term fairy back in the day when I was in grade school (1970s) derogatorily so it is a long time ago.

For reference on scelaton's points, watch Archie Bunker. It's both hilarious and completely unreal in terms of today's views. More or less now can give you a chuckle and function as a documentary on tasteless behaviour.

Old
06-14-2013, 01:12 PM
Bartho

Quote:
Originally Posted by scelaton View Post
Please tell me this is some misguided attempt at humour or parody...because if it isn't, it is the most ignorant remark I have ever read on these boards.
It's 100% sarcasm. The post was made to highlight how ridiculous the post I specifically quoted is.

Old
06-14-2013, 01:19 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Apparently Chevy met with Kane here today to discuss this

Per Ken Weibe

Old
06-14-2013, 01:22 PM
Bob E

People make mistakes all the time.

He was enlightened after a chat with Burke, apologized and I truly believe he's learned from it. All of these incidents, I believe, will mature Evander and he'll be a greater character person because of it.

I truly believe Kane isn't a bad dude, just naive and unaware, cause he's 21. Trouble is, he likes sharing his uninformed thoughts on social media. Must drive the Jets nuts.

Old
06-14-2013, 01:24 PM
Potrzebie

vCash: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensibleGuy View Post
In fact I remember an episode of Seinfeld where George leaps over a puddle in an effeminate way and a group of kids called him a "Mary," obviously a play on the word fairy.
Not that it really matters but it's not a play on the word fairy, it's a term all unto itself.

http://www.odps.org/glossword/index....erm&d=8&t=8609

Old
06-14-2013, 01:32 PM
New Jets
Jets fan since '79

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManOnASilverMountain View Post
Apparently Chevy met with Kane here today to discuss this

Per Ken Weibe
Yes, because also, much like Kane "Chevy had to".

I bet TNSE didn't think his comment was all that serious to begin with but because we live in a world full of liberal activists who have to pick at every little thing said and construe it as 'homophobic', they had to respond in some way or another.

Old
06-14-2013, 01:46 PM
Gm0ney

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Exactly!

edit:This post is 100% sarcasm
Yes, because that's precisely analogous to what Kane was doing.

Also you get bonus points for confusing some people into thinking you're an actual neo-nazi! Which kind of illustrates the overall point that maybe some people are overreacting...

Old
06-14-2013, 01:57 PM
videofarmer
thirsty

vCash: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus tacitus View Post

You go, Randal!

Old
06-14-2013, 02:04 PM
Bartho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
Yes, because that's precisely analogous to what Kane was doing.

Also you get bonus points for confusing some people into thinking you're an actual neo-nazi! Which kind of illustrates the overall point that maybe some people are overreacting...
No, it's precisely analogous to the defence used by cheswick and yourself that because a word/symbol has multiple meanings, anyone who would get offended by its use is a PC crybaby.

Last edited by Hank Chinaski: 06-14-2013 at 03:34 PM. Reason: flaming
Old
06-14-2013, 02:18 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

i dare say there's a number of parties involved in the discussion right now purposely pushing things a little too much to the extreme in an attempt to "make a point" at the "other sides" expense..

saying anyone who gets offended at language needs to "toughen up" is as ridiculous as saying misusing language is the same as parading around in the most globally recognized symbol of hate.

Do some people get offended out of their own ignorance at innocuous statements? yes

Do some people offend others with their ignorance of what they are saying?
Yes.

Maybe, just maybe, there's a little bit of middle ground between these two points what is a more accurate representation of what happens in reality?

we shouldn't be bending over backwards if someone sneezes the wrong way, but we should be sensitive to peoples reactions. i'd say, judging by the outpour here and otherwise, the term EK used was clearly inflammatory to a large enough population that it probably deserved an apology (even one offered begrudgingly).

If it was one voice in a ten thousand complaining, then no, we probably shouldn't care. But it was obviously past the "breaking point" of being a publicly accepted "no-no"

Old
06-14-2013, 02:25 PM
winterpeg
Sharp Dressed Man

Quote:
No, it's precisely analogous to the moronic defence used by cheswick and yourself that because a word/symbol has multiple meanings, anyone who would get offended by its use is a PC crybaby.
First of all the nazi swastika was, as I have always understood, backwards to the previous historical one, so in a technically correct sense, you aren't "misreading a symbol"

And the difference between something that has come to only represent one of the most hateful acts in human history, and something that is commonly known by it's proper definition as much or more than it is known by it's recent slang usage, is in no way insignificant.

To suggest they're analogous is a straw-man if ever there was one.

Old
06-14-2013, 02:26 PM
AlphaLackey

Quote:
No, it's precisely analogous to the moronic defence used by cheswick and yourself that because a word/symbol has multiple meanings, anyone who would get offended by its use is a PC crybaby.
The only thing moronic is the notion that someone's indignation should get to overwrite what the dictionary says a word means. There exist a number of words in the English language that describe dainty, soft, gentle, un-macho mannerisms that are completely devoid of any connotation of sexual orientation whatsoever. Fairy is one of them.

And it isn't "being offended" that is the hallmark of political correctness; it's when one believes ones indignation trumps reality, and that others should be forced to apologize for something they didn't do or say something they didn't say, simply because one chooses to misinterpret words in order to maximize being offended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
saying anyone who gets offended at language needs to "toughen up" is as ridiculous...
If I use language that is not offensive, and you take offence to it, you need to toughen up, end of line.

Sounds-hypothetical, actually-real example: if you get offended by my use of the word 'niggardly', the problem is 100.000% with you, not with me.

Quote:
If it was one voice in a ten thousand complaining, then no, we probably shouldn't care. But it was obviously past the "breaking point" of being a publicly accepted "no-no"
The test for "is something offensive" is NOT "how many people take offence". Even if you aren't offended by '******', that doesn't mean it's not a slur; even if you are offended by 'niggardly', that doesn't mean that it is. Words have dictionary definitions and universally accepted and agreed-upon meanings. You don't get to substitute your own and take offence at your new definitions.

Old
06-14-2013, 02:31 PM
Bartho

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaLackey View Post
The only thing moronic is the notion that someone's indignation should get to overwrite what the dictionary says a word means. There exist a number of words in the English language that describe dainty, soft, gentle, un-macho mannerisms that are completely devoid of any connotation of sexual orientation whatsoever. Fairy is one of them.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fairy
fairy
noun \ˈfer-ē\
plural fair·ies
Definition of FAIRY
1: a mythical being of folklore and romance usually having diminutive human form and magic powers
2 usually disparaging : a male homosexual

Last edited by Bartho: 06-14-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old
06-14-2013, 02:32 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
Contrary to how many seem to be framing it here, there's no finite line for what's considered offensive language.

Evander Kane made a comment that could be considered unbecoming of a pro athlete with a large public profile. He's well within his right to say it, others are well within their right to ask that he alter his language, as it's clear Patrick Burke did.

This isn't about what's "PC" (whatever the hell that means) and who's thin-skinned, this is about an athlete who needs to exercise more tact with social media. No big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Jets View Post
Yes, because also, much like Kane "Chevy had to".

I bet TNSE didn't think his comment was all that serious to begin with but because we live in a world full of liberal activists who have to pick at every little thing said and construe it as 'homophobic', they had to respond in some way or another.
What the hell does political affiliation have to do with this?

Last edited by Hank Chinaski: 06-14-2013 at 02:39 PM.
Old
06-14-2013, 02:37 PM
AlphaLackey

Quote:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/****

See "archaic".

The far-and-away most understood definition of fairy is that of a winged, fey pixie, not of a male homosexual; likewise, the far-and-away most understood definition of **** is "sexual penetration without consent", not "to plunder".

So why does, in your example, the minority meaning get to hold sway, but not in my example?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
This isn't about what's "PC" (whatever the hell that means
"Political correctness" refers to situations in which the indignation of a third party is deemed more important than what was actually meant, or what was actually said, to the point where a person is coerced into apologize for something they did not say or do, because failing to capitulate would have negative career consequences.

Last edited by AlphaLackey: 06-14-2013 at 02:43 PM.
Old
06-14-2013, 02:41 PM
Bartho

Quote:

See "archaic".

The far-and-away most understood definition of fairy is that of a winged, fey pixie, not of a male homosexual; likewise, the far-and-away most understood definition of **** is "sexual penetration without consent", not "to plunder".

So why does, in your example, the minority meaning get to hold sway, but not in my example?
The only thing moronic is the notion that someone's indignation should get to overwrite what the dictionary says a word means.

Old
06-14-2013, 02:42 PM
jetsfan101

Quote:

See "archaic".

When are we gonna be banned from using terms like 'soft', 'delicate', or 'weak' when describing players, because they are inherently effeminent?

Serious question...

Old
06-14-2013, 02:48 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
Quote:
"Political correctness" refers to situations in which the indignation of a third party is deemed more important than what was actually meant, or what was actually said, to the point where a person is coerced into apologize for something they did not say or do, because failing to capitulate would have negative career consequences.
It was a rhetorical statement. "Politically correct" is so vague and low on information content that I typically tune out any comments that use it.

Sorry, language pet peeve of mine. Carry on!

Closed Thread