HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Should they change the formula of Overtime in the playoffs?

Old
06-14-2013, 10:37 AM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

vCash: 500
In the old days, we would have exiled you via trebuchet for this atrocity of a suggestion.

But things are civilized nowadays, unfortunately.

Dr Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 10:46 AM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

vCash: 50
I agree with everyone here but enough with the personal attacks against the OP...

ZARTONK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 10:55 AM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifthgear View Post
Exciting ???? 3rd OT , i bet that 50% of people went after 2nd OT to sleep and yes iīm soccer fan also but they took in consideration the fans that are watching and donīt tell me penalties in soccer to end a game arenīt exciting!
NHL should take ideas from soccer and also remove that stupid 1 pt. when you lose a game in OT !!!
Soccer is fun to play and all, but it's the most boring sport on earth to watch. If the NHL is looking to increase excitement, which I think is fine already, but if they are, soccer is the last place to look.

I'd rather watch flies ****.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 11:05 AM
obcd1

I don't understand these attacks on the OP, I think he has a valid point. I do not agree tought. I like overtime in the playoffs, some people don't watch it because they are not fans of the team. I sure would lose some sleep to watch all the Habs game that go into triple overtime.

I don't like shootout that much. I think there should be a 3 vs 3 period of overtime in the regular season. 4 vs 4 are really fun periods to watch.

obcd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 12:04 PM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Settling games with three-on-three play rather than shootouts would be good IMHO, but for regular season not the playoffs. In the playoffs just keep going until the goal happens even if it takes all night, that's nail-biting drama and should not be messed with.

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 12:09 PM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
Soccer is fun to play and all, but it's the most boring sport on earth to watch. If the NHL is looking to increase excitement, which I think is fine already, but if they are, soccer is the last place to look.

Soccer "the most boring sport on earth to watch"? People watch golf, people watch chess. Soccer is not boring to watch if you like the game and appreciate the subtleties, the World Cup gets the biggest viewership of any event broadcast anywhere.

The new shallow nets will make a difference in the NHL that extra four inches will give our DD enough room to wait in ambush lol.

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 12:18 PM
peate
Habs fan 4 life.

vCash: 2007
Whenever games go long into OT, I feel like I'm a part of history and always think back to this:

March 24, 1936: Detroit's Mud Bruneteau ends the longest Stanley Cup playoff game to date, scoring the game's only goal in a 1–0 victory over the Montreal Maroons. The goal came 16:30 into the sixth overtime period for a total of 116:30 of overtime. The game was a mere 3:30 short of the equivalent of playing three games back-to-back-to-back.

Now that's a hockey game, too bad we lost. Of course I wasn't there but I think my dad might have been, he was a season ticket holder. I hope they never change it.

peate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 01:44 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
I think they should, i would only allow a single period of overtime 5 on 5 and if the score is unchanged, i would put 5 shootouts attempts by team.

Soccer = 30min then penalties in major events
Tennis = tie break except last set in majorīs

Baseball = 1 run or till they die of old-age
Hockey = 1 goal or till they die of old-age
Go watch soccer...

Hockey has had it right the whole time. Team game, play a team game. Shootouts are a gimmick in hockey, no place for that in the playoffs.

I LOVED the triple OT game. Im excited for saturdays sports day!. Italy confederation cup, Italy U21 and then NHL trophies and game 2!

Quote:
By the way i was following in twitter many conversation that same night where many well knowned journalist, reporters and ex-player that they were saying that they where going to bet because it was enough. Thats why iīm saying that 3OT itīs to much except 7th game of a final of the Stanley Cup.

Soccer = 30min then penalties in major events
Tennis = tie break except last set in majorīs

Baseball = 1 run or till they die of old-age
Hockey = 1 goal or till they die of old-age
A good rule to live by: If you are not involved, no one cares.

I don't care if people went to bed, that is their prerogative. The players on the ice, the people involved in the game, I am sure they were feeling the pressure and the joy they felt at the end of the game when they won (Chi) is what they play for.

If I am the commissioner of the NHL, for this particular aspect of the game, I would listen to the players, coaches and GMs ONLY. No one else should have an opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post

Soccer is boring the watch? I find that really hard to believe. The game has as much talent as any other sport, the things some players are capable of, is just mind blowing. Add to that the tactics and strategies, it's like watching a an action packed chess game.

To each their own I suppose. You probably have no particular team you cheer for, thus you not being able to find that extra passion.

Last edited by CrAzYNiNe: 06-14-2013 at 01:54 PM.
CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 02:07 PM
lou4gehrig

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
Soccer "the most boring sport on earth to watch"? People watch golf, people watch chess. Soccer is not boring to watch if you like the game and appreciate the subtleties, the World Cup gets the biggest viewership of any event broadcast anywhere.

The new shallow nets will make a difference in the NHL that extra four inches will give our DD enough room to wait in ambush lol.
It's North American vs rest the world culture. Soccer has a rythym and flow to it where you can passively watch a game and chat with friends, have a beer. North American sports, like football, are 5 seconds of action and 1 minute of waiting. Hockey is fun one watch on TV, but in person it's a bit strange when they have TV timeouts and everybody is just standing there.

As for boring sports to watch what about Nascar?

lou4gehrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 02:19 PM
Beendair Donedat

No. Hockey changes it's rules every three months and consequently is viewed as a joke. What other sport jumps through as many hoops to appease every little thing to people who simply don't "get" the game? It's beyond pandering,it's a full out grovel from Bettman and company. I know of no other major North American sport that has strayed so far from it's original roots.

Beendair Donedat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 02:36 PM
Bullsmith

The most exciting and unique thing about the NHL playoffs is the sudden death overtime. No other sport has it, and when you're in the building it is an experience unlike any other, especially in a deciding game.

So sure, let's get rid of it. That's a brilliant idea.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 02:44 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

I think NHL playoff OT is the best theater in the sporting world. Keep it the way it is. I think the players and owners have never had an issue with it, but one group that might have an issue, and may force a change one day, are the networks, especially US networks. I hope that day never comes in my lifetime.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 03:21 PM
Fergy22

vCash: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Habber View Post
Or maybe what we should do is send some hockey fans to fix soccer and it's long boring games. Let's see, the field is too big, and there are too many people on it. The field should be 200'x85' and have no more than 5 people plus 1 goalie on the field from each team. This stupid ball that rolls out of bounds isn't very good either. Should have boards, so the ball bouces back and play continues. And what is it with these guys that fall down in tears all the time because someone got too close to them and may or may not have brushed up against them. Allow body contact, that will stop these wimps from rolling around on the field a bit. There you go. I think soccer has been improved.

They do have this. It's called Indoor Soccer and a blast to play and watch. The scores can get pretty high and there is lots of action.

On another note, I hear next years Super Bowl will be decided by a FG contest if the game is tied in regulation.

Fergy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 03:24 PM
Theosis
11, 27, 31, 67, 76 ♥

I love the current format.

There's nothing better than multiple OT's in a single game

Theosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 03:36 PM
Runner77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
The most exciting and unique thing about the NHL playoffs is the sudden death overtime. No other sport has it, and when you're in the building it is an experience unlike any other, especially in a deciding game.
Baseball has a form of sudden death, all depending on whether the game can end with the team coming to bat.

Your point is well-taken though. It's one thing to have shoot-outs during the regular season but the post-season should remain unchanged in that regard.

Runner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 03:42 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergy22 View Post
They do have this. It's called Indoor Soccer and a blast to play and watch. The scores can get pretty high and there is lots of action.

On another note, I hear next years Super Bowl will be decided by a FG contest if the game is tied in regulation.
Great idea about the super bowl. Why leave it up to the players that play the game to decide the champions, lets put in individuals, one at a time to kick the ball. (To make it more fun, anyone but the kicker and punter can kick)

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 04:38 PM
Jakomyte

It should absolutely stay 5-on-5, sudden death, but the refs just have to call the game the way they call every regular season game.

It seems like this stupid 'let them play' garbage in the playoffs just means that the team that decides to break the rules more get more scoring chances and likely win.

I've got no clue why a penalty in period one of the pre-season should be any different from a penalty in game 7 of the SC finals in OT. If its a penalty, its a penalty!

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 05:23 PM
Stripper

....someone close this thread?

Stripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 06:33 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Exciting ???? 3rd OT , i bet that 50% of people went after 2nd OT to sleep and yes iīm soccer fan also but they took in consideration the fans that are watching and donīt tell me penalties in soccer to end a game arenīt exciting!
NHL should take ideas from soccer and also remove that stupid 1 pt. when you lose a game in OT !!!
Scoring a goal in soccer is a lot more difficult, the play is also a lot more slow and there's limited substitutes. It would be a bad idea to have a sudden death OT.

I had a 6am wake up call but I didn't stop watching that game. If you didn't find this game exciting or entertaining, then you're not much of a hockey fan.
PO overtime is arguably the most exciting time in a hockey year.

If hockey fans went to sleep after the 2nd period it's likely due to it being late, not because it was boring.

No way do I want the OT system to change.
I'll agree about the 1pt though.

Quote:
Boston-Chigago for sure fans stayed up to look at it but the rest of fans of Hockey like many of the Journalist, ex-players did go to bed (twitter conversations). Donīt speak only about Boston-Chicago fans, speak about fans in general! Is it to complicated?

By the way, soccer is the sport thatīs played the most all around the world but let me tell you thereīs nothing that replaces hockey in my hart. Go habs go! 25 Stanley Cups
Soccer is the most played sport because it's the simplest and cheapest to play, not because it's the most exciting, and I'm a soccer fan.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 06:36 PM
29dryden29

If they ever did this and made it an all star game skills competition to decide the cup or in ANY round in the POs I would stop watching hockey.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 07:04 PM
Raider917

vCash: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
If they ever did this and made it an all star game skills competition to decide the cup or in ANY round in the POs I would stop watching hockey.
and you wouldnt be alone. the thing that makes hockey better than any other sports is the possible 4 or 5 ot periods (or more) in the playoffs. getting rid of this is suicide.

Raider917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 07:08 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Let's not compare this sport to the embarrassment known as soccer.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 07:26 PM
charlie

vCash: 358
Lets add another guy in sudden death overtime.
Go 6 on 6.

charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 07:33 PM
yianik

No. Get some sleep.

yianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 07:36 PM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripper View Post
....someone close this thread?
I made the mistake of reading this thread instead of just clicking the "x" to ignore thread..

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote