HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Planning to build a new computer? Read Here first! #5

Closed Thread

Old
06-09-2013, 07:22 AM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Ryantology

vCash: 500
I have finished totally updating the thread for Haswell and the new GPU releases.

Some notes:
Prices have stayed relatively stable for the last 6 months. Canadians still pay more for certain items like Cases, Asrock products, and some video card brands. Still can't figure out why exactly.

Haswell Launch prices are fair, and motherboards are much cheaper this time around than z77 was.

I didn't think my 'who needs money' system was ridiculous enough. So I doubled the memory to 32GB of premium RAM. Went with 2x 780's. Removed all mechanical drives and went with 2x 512 Samsung 840 pros. And massively upgraded the case to a Corsair 800D.

Nvidia is killing it in the bang for your buck realm lately. AMD won this area big time in 2012 and right now outside of a select few price points I think the average Nvidia card is better at price/performance. 650 ti boost and the 770 are priced as AMD killers.

Old
06-09-2013, 02:28 PM
Benny Lava

750W PSUs are a bit overkill for single card setups, don't you think? For the second mainstream build, replacing the PSU with this would give you room for a 7870 XT, which is something like 40% better than the 650Ti.

Old
06-09-2013, 02:35 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I have a NZXT Hale90 750W for my GTX 680 .

Old
06-09-2013, 09:14 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Ryantology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Lava View Post
750W PSUs are a bit overkill for single card setups, don't you think? For the second mainstream build, replacing the PSU with this would give you room for a 7870 XT, which is something like 40% better than the 650Ti.
For the most part I don't make the lists with absolute performance in mind. I want a solid base for expandability that will last. I also take in to account PSU degradation, potential new GPU releases taking more power, and buffer space for random stuff someone might do. Basically I pick them how I would build them.

For example, if I were to build a $1000 machine for absolute maximum gaming performance I wouldn't even do a Haswell build. Probably drop it down to Ivy Bridge,and figure out a way to jam in there a $400 GPU. Like this: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Pu...umber=17226449

Old
06-09-2013, 10:14 PM
Benny Lava

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
For the most part I don't make the lists with absolute performance in mind. I want a solid base for expandability that will last. I also take in to account PSU degradation, potential new GPU releases taking more power, and buffer space for random stuff someone might do. Basically I pick them how I would build them.

For example, if I were to build a $1000 machine for absolute maximum gaming performance I wouldn't even do a Haswell build. Probably drop it down to Ivy Bridge,and figure out a way to jam in there a $400 GPU. Like this: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Pu...umber=17226449
You'd lose out on quite a bit of CPU power though. The midrange build with an XT gives you the best of both worlds without overpaying for an unnecessary PSU.

Old
06-09-2013, 10:52 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Ryantology

Quote:
You'd lose out on quite a bit of CPU power though. The midrange build with an XT gives you the best of both worlds without overpaying for an unnecessary PSU.
You call it unnecessary I call it insurance.

Most of the systems I list are generalist in nature. Buy the $1000 and overclock it + a gpu upgrade down the line. If you have a 550w you are running it at the limit. Toss in a second 650 ti and with a 750w you are covered. Keep your system for 5+ years? The 750w won't degrade to the point of uselessness.

I'd sooner keep the 750w AND add the 7870xt (which comes out to only $1029) then downgrade the PSU when looking at it from that perspective. The thing about the $1000 build is you can look at it and add practically anything you want to it, without having to worry about it short of a form factor change. It keeps the list modular in nature.

Old
06-10-2013, 01:33 PM
Benny Lava

Quote:
You call it unnecessary I call it insurance.

Most of the systems I list are generalist in nature. Buy the $1000 and overclock it + a gpu upgrade down the line. If you have a 550w you are running it at the limit. Toss in a second 650 ti and with a 750w you are covered. Keep your system for 5+ years? The 750w won't degrade to the point of uselessness.
Understandable, but a higher wattage doesn't ensure you aren't getting a dud. And even with a massively overclocked CPU and GPU, the system barely breaks 400W. For a more generalist setup you're looking at 300-350W max. The only thing you won't safely be able to do with that PSU is crossfire, but XTs seem to be awful choices for crossfire anyway.

And I think degradation is being overblown here. The 550W is a SeaSonic , not some $20 PSU with crap capacitors that will be running at 50% after a couple years. Degradation honestly shouldn't even be a concern.

Btw I'm not really disagreeing with anything you're saying, I just don't see why it's necessary to spend that much on a PSU in a somewhat budget-oriented ~$950 build. The 1kW PSU in the $2k build is ridiculous too, but at that point it doesn't really matter because you're not sacrificing performance for the "safety" of more wattage.

Old
06-10-2013, 08:07 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Ryantology

Quote:
The 1kW PSU in the $2k build is ridiculous too,
That one I probably will change. IIRC that used to be a crossfire setup but I never changed it.

Old
06-14-2013, 11:15 AM
Frankie Spankie

Just took a look at the new list at the high end build. What are your thoughts on just SLIing two GTX 770 2GB instead of getting one GTX 780 3GB? It's only $150 more.

Old
06-14-2013, 11:17 AM
SolidSnakeUS

I can't wait to see performance benchmarks for the new FX-9590. I really do hope AMD gets back in the game and competes with Intel.

Old
06-14-2013, 12:21 PM
ErikKarlsson
The Best (per IOC)

So here's my computer atm

I5 2500k
XFX 6870
8gb corsair ram ddr3
240gb corsair ssd

Do you guys think its worth upgrading the video card or something else for RTW:2 or BF4? Haven't really kept up with computer hardware so I'm a little lost now.

Old
06-14-2013, 03:22 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Ryantology

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikKarlsson View Post
So here's my computer atm

I5 2500k
XFX 6870
8gb corsair ram ddr3
240gb corsair ssd

Do you guys think its worth upgrading the video card or something else for RTW:2 or BF4? Haven't really kept up with computer hardware so I'm a little lost now.
If you run a 1080P monitor, a new video card would help you a good deal.

If you are interested in playing resolutions higher than 1080P a video card upgrade isn't just helpful, it's probably necessary.

I pair my 2500k with a 7950 and I'd have no problem running everything up to a Titan with it. Still a very good processor.

Both of those games are due in the fall, so unless you want the performance boost now for other games it may be worth while to wait a bit. AMD is supposed to release new cards around then, so you can compare Nvidia and AMD at that point. Though Battlefield notoriously runs better on Nvidia cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Spankie View Post
Just took a look at the new list at the high end build. What are your thoughts on just SLIing two GTX 770 2GB instead of getting one GTX 780 3GB? It's only $150 more.

Yeah I thought about that, certainly no problem doing that. Just for simplicity and to avoid problems 2 cards can have I opted for one.

Two 770's would perform better in most circumstances though.

Old
06-14-2013, 07:54 PM
Puck
Ninja

Quote:
That one I probably will change. IIRC that used to be a crossfire setup but I never changed it.
I might be in the minority but I support your decision to increase the wattage on the PSUs. I don't get the idea with some folks to always go for the minimum requirement on this item to save a few bucks. Just wanted to say that in case you thought you were alone in the woods on that issue.

Old
06-15-2013, 01:37 AM
ErikKarlsson
The Best (per IOC)

Quote:
If you run a 1080P monitor, a new video card would help you a good deal.

If you are interested in playing resolutions higher than 1080P a video card upgrade isn't just helpful, it's probably necessary.

I pair my 2500k with a 7950 and I'd have no problem running everything up to a Titan with it. Still a very good processor.

Both of those games are due in the fall, so unless you want the performance boost now for other games it may be worth while to wait a bit. AMD is supposed to release new cards around then, so you can compare Nvidia and AMD at that point. Though Battlefield notoriously runs better on Nvidia cards.

I'm playing on 1920x1200. And yeah its no rush at all. So video card is the weak point then I guess. You think I could get a good upgrade for 200-250$ ?

Old
06-15-2013, 02:32 AM
Benny Lava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post
I don't get the idea with some folks to always go for the minimum requirement on this item to save a few bucks.
It's a complete waste to spend money on wattage you'll never use. If you're putting together a single card build with the intention of SLI/xfire down the line then I can completely understand it, but buying a 750W PSU for a system that will rarely break 350W is a bit ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikKarlsson View Post
I'm playing on 1920x1200. And yeah its no rush at all. So video card is the weak point then I guess. You think I could get a good upgrade for 200-250$ ?
Right now a 7870 XT would be your best bet at that price, but the GTX 760 should be out by the end of the month and will likely be in your price range.

Old
06-17-2013, 04:05 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

if anyone wants to help me build a comp here is what I need it for:
http://www.***********/r/buildapcform...itasking_comp/

Quote:
>What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc. If you need a Workstation, be specific on the programs you'll be using. Try to list as many games/applications that you'll be using as you can, as well as your performance goals for those programs.
  • indesign
  • dream weaver
  • photoshop/ possible c5 programs as well
  • Sony Vegas pro or a strong video editing software
  • fl studio or something similar or stronger
  • also possible light programming as I'm interested in learning it, say if I was required to build an app for iTunes or android.
>What is your maximum preferred budget before rebates/shipping/taxes?
500-800 budget
>When do you plan on building/buying the PC? (note: if you're planning on buying more than 2 weeks from now, it's very much recommended you wait and come back then, to ensure you get the most recent and accurate price data)
Now would be nice but I can wait if need be.
>What, exactly, do you need included in the budget? "Everything" is not specific enough. Tower, Operating System, peripherals like the keyboard, mouse, and monitor(s), wifi adapter, speakers/headphones, etc. are all relevant.
Tower, OS, Keyboard and Mouse, Wifi adapter, and speakers(maybe) are what I’d need for the build I’d assume.
>Which country will you be purchasing the parts in? If you're in the US, are you near a Microcenter store? I’m in Canada atm but I can buy stuff online I’d assume?
>Will you be overclocking? If yes, are you interested in overclocking right away, or down the line? CPU and/or GPU?
Do I need to consider this even? I’m not gaming at all if any. Mmorpgs would be fun but meh I doubt it. Plus price might increase?
>If there's any specific features you want/need from the rig, please list them. Examples might include rear and/or front-panel USB 3.0, a RAID setup, etc. USB 3.0 would be damn nice for sure.
>Do you have any specific case/tower preferences such as a window or LEDs, or do you have a preference for low-noise components?
Nah not really, just want it work and ill work with it.

Reason I didn’t list any preference in games as I believe the price will increase hence I didn’t mention it, unless it’s possible to keep there.

Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers!

06-17-2013, 09:43 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Ryantology

Quote:
>Will you be overclocking? If yes, are you interested in overclocking right away, or down the line? CPU and/or GPU?
Do I need to consider this even? Im not gaming at all if any.
Generally speaking if you don't know if you need overclocking or not, you don't. It can introduce a litany of problems for any machine. For a system with productivity in mind as yours is it's a bad idea for those inexperienced in it.

Quote:
>What is your maximum preferred budget before rebates/shipping/taxes?
500-800 budget
At that budget with OS included you will be fairly limited in part selection. But it's doable. It will definitely be closer to 800 then 500 though.

Quote:
Tower, OS, Keyboard and Mouse, Wifi adapter, and speakers(maybe) are what Id need for the build Id assume.
Toughest thing is the video card, I don't know a lot about those programs and which technologies they make use of. So you'll have to do some research and find out if AMD or Nvidia is better for which. I suspect Photoshop will prefer Nvidia for certain plug-ins and Sony Vegas will prefer AMD for its raw OpenCL performance.

I tentatively went with an AMD 7850 for this reason: http://anandtech.com/bench/GPU13/588

http://secure.newegg.ca/WishList/Pub...umber=20031331

$763 + Tax/shipping + KB/Mouse/Speakers.

Pretty tight on the budget you outlined. Definitely look for better prices at other sites.

Old
06-20-2013, 04:22 PM
Swedish Puck Mafia
Break The HeMan Down

vCash: 355
Just bought an SSD for my main computer, and I was wondering how exactly I should go about getting all the boot files and such onto the SSD.

There has to be a better way than a fresh re-install of Windows.

Old
06-20-2013, 04:38 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Ryantology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Puck Mafia View Post
Just bought an SSD for my main computer, and I was wondering how exactly I should go about getting all the boot files and such onto the SSD.

There has to be a better way than a fresh re-install of Windows.
You can use an imaging program to directly copy the OS partition over to the SSD provided you have enough capacity.

If you have a Seagate or a WD mechanical drive you can use the free version from their website of Acronis. There are some free imaging programs out there too but I have no experience with those.

Personally I'd just do a fresh install though. Then create a basic image of it when done you can use as a backup.

Old
06-20-2013, 06:53 PM
Swedish Puck Mafia
Break The HeMan Down

vCash: 355
Quote:
You can use an imaging program to directly copy the OS partition over to the SSD provided you have enough capacity.

If you have a Seagate or a WD mechanical drive you can use the free version from their website of Acronis. There are some free imaging programs out there too but I have no experience with those.

Personally I'd just do a fresh install though. Then create a basic image of it when done you can use as a backup.
I have a 2tb mechanical drive, and I bought a 256gb SSD (a Samsung 840 Pro for <$200).

From what you said, I'm thinking of partitioning the 2tb drive, throwing all my files (movies/music/etc.) onto the new partition, installing Windows on the SSD, and then formatting the original Windows partition on the 2tb drive.

Doesn't sound too bad.

Old
06-20-2013, 07:08 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Ryantology

Personally I like keeping a back up windows install on my mechanical drive. SSDs are quite solid now, but it never hurts to have a backup.

Old
06-20-2013, 11:30 PM
Frankie Spankie

Not sure if this should go here or not but I'm getting really sick of my RAT 7 mouse. It just doesn't read well at all. I'm looking for alternatives, anybody ever hear of the brand Anker? This one seems to get a lot of good reviews but there are some mixed reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Anker-High-Pre...ds=anker+mouse

I know it's a dumb thing to look for but I want a black one with blue LED lights on it if anybody wants to recommend other models.

I would like a Razer DeathAdder 2013 edition since they added rubber side grips, the side grips on the old DeathAdders were the only bad part about them. They stopped making blue ones though and went with green lights. Everything else I have for PC is black with blue lights, I feel it'd look way too weird to switch the mouse.

Old
06-21-2013, 12:01 AM
Towers
Is it on Origin?

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Towers
I have a roccat XTD and I love it.

Old
06-21-2013, 12:42 PM
sabresfan129103

Anyone want to venture a guess how much a ~1tb SSD will cost mid 2014. I think you can get one now for $600 bucks. I'm hoping they drop to around $500. I'm willing to drop big bucks on an SSD in my next build.

Old
06-22-2013, 09:53 AM
Diskothek

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
Anyone want to venture a guess how much a ~1tb SSD will cost mid 2014. I think you can get one now for $600 bucks. I'm hoping they drop to around $500. I'm willing to drop big bucks on an SSD in my next build.
They're pretty awesome. I added a 120GB SSD to mine, world of difference in booting Windows and loading Arma 3.

Question regarding my "locked" processor:

Can a i5 3350p be OC'ed? Mobo is an MSI H77MA-G43. The processor has a "turbo" mode saying it can go from 3.1Ghz to 3.3. More curious than anything else. Never overclocked before and don't really know what it entails either.

Closed Thread