HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal Impact Thread 16.0 - The "Canadian Champions edition" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
06-13-2013, 05:21 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
Btw guys, if we were to acquire depth in the midfield, I know some may not like the idea, but De Guzman is available and free. He wouldn't be a starter but last year he had a good 2nd half with Dallas, so he would provide a good depth at holding midfield position. He'd certainly be an upgrade over Warner.
De Guzman is a cancer. Poor work ethic and bad attitude overall. A primadonna. I don't want him anywhere near this team.

Old
06-13-2013, 06:26 PM
ArtPeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
If we lose Nesta and DiVaio is hope we bring in 2 DP's to replace them.
Di Vaio might be back

Old
06-13-2013, 08:42 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Yea I'm fairly sure MDV will be back for one more year and that should be it. Maybe a little more money but Joey won't mind. Nesta is definitely done after the season. He's said it before.

Old
06-13-2013, 08:50 PM
Captain Saku

Ummmm so NY Cosmos will be playing in NASL this season and they just signed the ex spain international Marcos Senna who will make DP money. Cantona is managing the team. I don't know what to think about that lol but the MLS surely can't have 3 teams in NY. Not sure what the Cosmos are planning t do, but I'd surely prefer them over the Red Bulls.

Old
06-13-2013, 09:33 PM
Rumcajs

Quote:
Ummmm so NY Cosmos will be playing in NASL this season and they just signed the ex spain international Marcos Senna who will make DP money. Cantona is managing the team. I don't know what to think about that lol but the MLS surely can't have 3 teams in NY. Not sure what the Cosmos are planning t do, but I'd surely prefer them over the Red Bulls.
Cosmos chairman Seamus O'Brien, however, noted that London has fourteen professional soccer teams, so New York City can "handle three."

He doesn't seem worried

Old
06-13-2013, 09:57 PM
Captain Saku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumcajs View Post
Cosmos chairman Seamus O'Brien, however, noted that London has fourteen professional soccer teams, so New York City can "handle three."

He doesn't seem worried
Except that London doesn't have 3 NHL + 2 NBA + 2 MLB + 2 NFL teams. They all play in top professional sports leagues. How many Londonian clubs play in the EPL during the same season? 6 or 7 max?

Last edited by Captain Saku: 06-13-2013 at 10:06 PM.
Old
06-14-2013, 11:41 AM
NeverGoingToWin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013%E2...Premier_League

This year will have 6.

Old
06-14-2013, 11:43 AM
NeverGoingToWin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilliam View Post
Thanks. Any idea when the final is played?
They have played the first leg of the semis so it should be soon.

Old
06-14-2013, 02:54 PM
Et le But

Quote:
I just discovered the Cosmos train down the block from where my bar review classes are this summer.

Also down the block is the Nassau Colisseum.

Old
06-14-2013, 04:06 PM
LaurentHabs
Wat.

Not too shabby way to travel

Old
06-14-2013, 04:43 PM
Montreal Impact FC
.:| Champ's City |:.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurentHabs View Post

Not too shabby way to travel
Is that the saputomobile?

Old
06-14-2013, 05:01 PM
gelu88

Team is only allowed 4 charters(one way) a year. Interesting that this is where they decided to use one.

It suggests to me that they want to play a top squad tomorrow, come back as fresh as possible and play the same people Wednesday.

Old
06-14-2013, 05:17 PM
LaurentHabs
Wat.

Already used it once this year IIRC.

I'd save the last 2 for the playoffs

Old
06-14-2013, 05:31 PM
Riverside Habs Fan

Send a message via AIM to Riverside Habs Fan Send a message via MSN to Riverside Habs Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelu88 View Post
Team is only allowed 4 charters(one way) a year. Interesting that this is where they decided to use one.

It suggests to me that they want to play a top squad tomorrow, come back as fresh as possible and play the same people Wednesday.
That is a bizzare rule?

Old
06-14-2013, 05:39 PM
LaurentHabs
Wat.

Pretty Emotional Matteo! Pretty sure he was gona cry tbh lol

Old
06-14-2013, 05:42 PM
gelu88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside Habs Fan View Post
That is a bizzare rule?
Remember that the whole league was weeks away from folding in the early 2000's.

They have recovered, and succeeded where older leagues have failed, partially because they had rules to keep costs down and businesses solvent.

Many teams have pretty small budgets: Columbus, Salt Lake, Colorado, maybe others. They cannot afford to spend ~$3-4 million/season it costs for chartered flights everywhere.

Just like the salary cap, the league wants everyone to be on an equal footing, this is one more way.

I think they'll probably change it in the next CBA (after 2014), but the idea is to enforce parity. I would guess they'll start by increasing the number from 4. With NYCFC and more money from TV coming in, they will loosen the purse strings, bit they are much too conservative to open it all the way.

Old
06-14-2013, 06:07 PM
LaurentHabs
Wat.

Quote:
Remember that the whole league was weeks away from folding in the early 2000's.

They have recovered, and succeeded where older leagues have failed, partially because they had rules to keep costs down and businesses solvent.

Many teams have pretty small budgets: Columbus, Salt Lake, Colorado, maybe others. They cannot afford to spend ~$3-4 million/season it costs for chartered flights everywhere.
In fact, Colorado's owner is one of the richest in the MLS. The Rapids owner is also the owner of Arsenal. Speaking by experience here, he is just one cheap sob

I think the MLS should try to strike a sponsorship deal with a major airway in order to make everyone travel the same way with the same (Good!) conditions.

Old
06-14-2013, 06:54 PM
gelu88

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurentHabs View Post
In fact, Colorado's owner is one of the richest in the MLS. The Rapids owner is also the owner of Arsenal. Speaking by experience here, he is just one cheap sob

I think the MLS should try to strike a sponsorship deal with a major airway in order to make everyone travel the same way with the same (Good!) conditions.
Lol, yeah, I am well aware of Kroenke's tight-fistedness.

I looked up some estimates, and actually I was more wrong about Salt lake.

These revenue numbers are probably very wrong, probably too high, but the rankings seems accurate enough:

Quote:
2011:
Seattle: $58 million
NY: $51 million
LA: $50 million
RSL: $28 million
Toronto: $28 million
Vancouver: $28 million
Philidelphia: $25 million
Portland: $25 million
Houston: $23 million
Sporting KC: $23 million
Chicago: $22 million
DC: $21 million
FCD: $21 million
Colorado: $20 million
New England: $18 million
Columbus: $16 million
San Jose: $15 million
Remember that the Salary cap (not including DP) is 2.9 million

I can imagine that most teams near the bottom there would rather not spend $3 million extra on charters.

ETA: perhaps a better way to phrase this, based on discussion over at Big Soccer:

Quote:
Haves: PTFC, SSFC, VWFC, LAG, RBNY, TFC, PHI, SKC, RSL, IMFC; Have Nots: HOU, SJE, CHV, COL, FCD, CHI, CLB, DCU, NER.
The Haves have the revenue (or the owners) to spend as much as necessary for the team, the others don't.

In the nxt CBA the have not's will for the first time not have the votes, so it'll be interesting to see how the league changes.

Last edited by gelu88: 06-14-2013 at 07:03 PM.
Old
06-14-2013, 08:36 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

I actually don't want this league to become a spending machine. Go step by step, keep a limit on internationals. This after all a development league for our local players. I want parity to stay as much as possible.

Old
06-14-2013, 08:44 PM
gelu88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Gionta View Post
I actually don't want this league to become a spending machine. Go step by step, keep a limit on internationals. This after all a development league for our local players. I want parity to stay as much as possible.
All signs thus far suggest that's exactly what going to happen, Garber even said as much during his State of the league address a few months back

It's worth skipping through it: http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...h-soccer-addre

But as the big teams get bigger, plus the addition of Manchester in NY, plus maybe Backham in Miami, all that money is gonna put a lot of pressure on them to accelerate.

But on a more relevant note, anyone hear about the lineup for tomorrow?

Old
06-15-2013, 08:09 AM
Riverside Habs Fan

Send a message via AIM to Riverside Habs Fan Send a message via MSN to Riverside Habs Fan
Quote:
All signs thus far suggest that's exactly what going to happen, Garber even said as much during his State of the league address a few months back

It's worth skipping through it: http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...h-soccer-addre

But as the big teams get bigger, plus the addition of Manchester in NY, plus maybe Backham in Miami, all that money is gonna put a lot of pressure on them to accelerate.

But on a more relevant note, anyone hear about the lineup for tomorrow?
They always seem to be secretive about who they take to away games until like an hour or two before the game.

Old
06-15-2013, 10:38 AM
Captain Saku

So guys. Anyone will be following the confederation cup this year? Any predictions?

Old
06-15-2013, 10:53 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Gionta View Post
MLS should simply deal with locals differently. Instead of having a limit on internationals, why not inforce a rule where teams have to have a minimum of local players instead? Maybe you could make them not count on the cap, or after a certain number the next following don't count, something like that..

Old
06-15-2013, 11:02 AM
gelu88

Pisanu and paponi confirmed tonight

Old
06-15-2013, 12:37 PM
NeverGoingToWin

Quote:
So guys. Anyone will be following the confederation cup this year? Any predictions?
Mexico will surprise and take a spot in the semis from Brazil or hopefully Italy. The other group is a waste of time. The truth is Spain from the last 5 years is the class of the field but they have to slow down eventually. It will be Spain versus Brazil or Mexico in the final.

Closed Thread