HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canadiens sign defenseman Davis Drewiske to a two-year contract ($637.5K AAV)

Old
06-14-2013, 03:14 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
Likewise do you think Desharnais deserves an extended contract for the money he got?

My answer is No to both questions.
BUt that answer comes after seeing him play this year. Not that long ago, we thought that Pacioretty-DD-Cole was THE best line of the year. People should just remember that. Right now, we think that Cole is done. We think that DD might have reached his ceiling. And frankly, we are really wondering what Pacioretty is up to.....Bergevin jumped the gun as he thought he was securing his center line position with the best deal possible. Clearly, I didn't like the deal at the time as I thought that we didn't make any gain whether it was the number of years or the money. DD won it all. That's a bad contract by Bergie. Especially when we might be close to see both Eller and Galchenyuk take the lead. At one point, Bergevin gave DD that contract as if we had no other options. Which to me, is indeed a head scratcher (word of the day). Though it was also securing the "local" factor nobody wants to hear about. Which to me would proove that our lack of sensivity towards that question over the years in bringing more local flavor, might have cost us that contract. 'Cause you do wonder...why sign DD at that cost when others might take the lead as soon as next year? You either have no confidence in them or have...no other choice. Or he believed in him greatly based on his past season with Cole and Pac. I guess that we will see in the upcoming year if he did great or not.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 03:18 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Anyway, just want to say this....if that's the only UFA we re-signs....it's okay. Note though...it HAS to be the only UFA we sign prior to July....I do not want to see a Armstrong signing. And I don't want to hear about how great he is in the room. We need players on the ice. If he's that great in the room, make him retire and name him coach. Do not want to hear how he'd be a perfect 13th forward. A perfect 13th forward would be a goon that knows a little about the game of hockey. That you dress once in a while to get some message through and win some moral victories.

Armstrong would NOT be a perfect 13th forward as he is a Therrien favorite AND will end up a 12th forward.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 03:37 PM
Beendair Donedat

I think the difference is that Desharnais got his contract after only 1 good season while others had to wait. With Pacioretty, he even recovered from a near catastrophic injury to get his money... Desharnais has also shown he needs big bodies to produce. If he's not insulated, he's not producing. I hope he turns it around but a small soft centerman isn't something we need.

Beendair Donedat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 04:13 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Why would the Bouillon signing be a head scratcher?

Steady veteran for a #5-6 spot that can step into bigger minutes when needed for a short period of time. 1.5 mil is minimal and only for 1 year. Cheap, solid depth. He's ideal for a veteran, keeps it simple, gritty and a charcter guy, good to have around the kids.
It's a head scratcher because if we were going to improve our D, it would have been by replacing him. There was no rush to re-sign him He's old and getting older and has a long history of being injury prone and really started to slow down towards the end of the season.

And if Bouillon needs to 'step into bigger minutes' for us, well, that says quite a bit about why we needed to improve our defense.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 04:40 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Ference Oduya Scuderi

But I guess those guys are studs because their "shot blockling" and "leadership" is worth more. If those guys were here you would be saying the same thing about them. Scuderi is actually getting #2 minutes in LA!
I wouldn't want any of them for 6 years. Scuderi and Ferrence are proven and bring a lot more than Gorges. Oduya brings more offensively, but if you want to say Gorges is better, then that's fine.

So...Gorges is great, Subban is great, Markov is great, Drewiskie is great, Tinordi is great, Emelin is great, Diaz is great (remember we wanted to trade PK?). Yet when we talk about Price, our D stinks.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 04:41 PM
Et le But

I was more concerned about the Boullion re-signing because I feel like Therrien will always play him while he's available. Both Bou-Bou and Drewiskie are 7th defenders, which is perfectly valuable when used as such. With Emelin out if both are pegged in the top 6 to start the season I don't see a repeat of last year very likely.

There's only so many "perfect 7th defenders" you can have.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 04:49 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Did everybody forget that as of last year were we 'rebuilding'?

Does any ody really care THAT much we are rolling with this d? Was fine last year though...

Tl;dr: ouain!

MasterDecoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 05:04 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post

Does any ody really care THAT much we are rolling with this d? Was fine last year though...

I haven't heard MB say we were rebuilding, and I don't remember the blueline being 'fine' when the post season came around.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 05:05 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:

Expectations can change pretty fast when things go better than expected. I always thought MT won't last more than 2 or 3 seasons in Montreal, and now he has the additional burden to follow up on the expectations created from the success of last season. I kind of feel sorry for him now, lol

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 05:40 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Typical of one of your posts.

Full of fail.

Gorges is as good as guys like Oduya and Ference palying top 4 minutes, go ask any NHL GM if he is average.
my typical realistic , call a spade a spade post , yes it is

how many gm`s would take Gorges over both right now .... not many if any

Gorges is an average player making 4 effen million a year

Ferrence plays tougher and skates better , Oduya is a way better skater , and plays both ends better

Gorges wouldnt crack the top 4 with both teams

plus Ferrence is making 2.35 this year ...exactly what average Josh is worth

overate him all u want my friend , he isnt that good at 4 mil

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 05:42 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
I wouldn't want any of them for 6 years. Scuderi and Ferrence are proven and bring a lot more than Gorges. Oduya brings more offensively, but if you want to say Gorges is better, then that's fine.

So...Gorges is great, Subban is great, Markov is great, Drewiskie is great, Tinordi is great, Emelin is great, Diaz is great (remember we wanted to trade PK?). Yet when we talk about Price, our D stinks.

good one

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 06:26 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Drewiske is never going to get a fair shot as long as Mr. Bouillon, aka Therrien's pet, is here. Not that he's going to blow anyone away, but he has more offensive instincts to be an emergency pointman than the Cube.

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 06:37 PM
WhiskeySeven
Mr. Worldwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I was more concerned about the Boullion re-signing because I feel like Therrien will always play him while he's available. Both Bou-Bou and Drewiskie are 7th defenders, which is perfectly valuable when used as such. With Emelin out if both are pegged in the top 6 to start the season I don't see a repeat of last year very likely.

There's only so many "perfect 7th defenders" you can have.
Well put.

And with Diaz being crazy soft, Markov being crazy risky, Tinordi being crazy inexperienced and Emelin being crazy injured, I don't see us having crazy depth as much as we have a crazy awful defense. (see: last 20 games of season+playoffs)

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 06:47 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
Expectations can change pretty fast when things go better than expected. I always thought MT won't last more than 2 or 3 seasons in Montreal, and now he has the additional burden to follow up on the expectations created from the success of last season. I kind of feel sorry for him now, lol
The only way you feel sorry for Bergevin is if he stands pat and says lets try to repeat our success with the same players (other than Ryder).

If he does that, I will feel sorry for him as much as I will feel sorry for myself knowing that I will have another lost season to endure.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 08:21 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
The only way you feel sorry for Bergevin is if he stands pat and says lets try to repeat our success with the same players (other than Ryder).

If he does that, I will feel sorry for him as much as I will feel sorry for myself knowing that I will have another lost season to endure.
I could endure a few more losing seasons, if this team was interesting to watch. I mean, if we had some physical play/toughness to the team while we 'retooled' for the future, I wouldn't complain too much.

But to watch this team lose, like a bunch of victims.. no fight, just little scratches.. it's sickening. If MB doesn't address the team's physical/toughness play before the season starts, I'm done. I'm suiciding this moniker and giving up. I can't take another decade of pansies prancing around an 82 game season, shooting pucks at the other team when they get angry.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 09:10 PM
Top Corner2

Depth at D is always a good thing

Top Corner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 01:38 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prallchengher View Post
Drewiske is never going to get a fair shot as long as Mr. Bouillon, aka Therrien's pet, is here. Not that he's going to blow anyone away, but he has more offensive instincts to be an emergency pointman than the Cube.
I hate Bouillon in our line-up as much as the next guy but i'll take him over Drewiske. At least Cube bring something. He can move the puck and can hit. Drew...is a type of players I refer to as "ghosts". They keep getting hired and nobody knows why.

Neither guy should be playing for the Habs.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 04:20 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post

I was talking about MT. I don't really expect any big changes, unless there is a trade up MB's sleeve, but realistically, this team wont change much for the upcoming season, and will be hard pressed to replicate last season.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 05:35 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
I haven't heard MB say we were rebuilding
he may or may not have said it and frankly i don't quite remember, he may have used the word 'retooling' instead but no matter, he took over a last in the east team and his moves so far have indicated as much: the bouillon signing, the cole trade, didn't send any picks (other than a fifth i believe) anywhere and the only depth he acquired at the deadline is the guy were spending 13 pages on right now

Quote:
and I don't remember the blueline being 'fine' when the post season came around.
of course it wasn't! most of us had the team either in the basement again, or 8th/9th place. our 2nd place finish last year was an aberration, an illusion that really hid the underlying problem of this team which we are all well aware of. you can't trade your way our of it because you have no surplus of valuable prospects and no one will take your garbage unlike the trade board here, and you can't UFA (that's right, like a verb) your way out of it.

so you draft your way out of it. this guy and bouillon and the impending armstrong signing are placeholders. nothing more.

you guys really want GMMB to go and massively overpay - because that's what it's gonna take to get those players here - for guys like Clarkson or Clowe, guys that will make you feel good in the near term but that will all turn you into Whiskeyseven on Gionta a couple of years down the road?

Quote:
I could endure a few more losing seasons, if this team was interesting to watch. I mean, if we had some physical play/toughness to the team while we 'retooled' for the future, I wouldn't complain too much.

But to watch this team lose, like a bunch of victims.. no fight, just little scratches.. it's sickening. If MB doesn't address the team's physical/toughness play before the season starts, I'm done. I'm suiciding this moniker and giving up. I can't take another decade of pansies prancing around an 82 game season, shooting pucks at the other team when they get angry.
well that's an entirely different subject...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett
yeah. before last season, everybody was fine with the idea that we were gonna bomb for a couple of years, but now? good luck MT

MasterDecoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 05:39 AM
Draft

Quote:
yeah. before last season, everybody was fine with the idea that we were gonna bomb for a couple of years, but now? good luck MT
I'd be okay with sucking next year and making trades to help us in the future. I'd like to pick up McDavid in 2015 too, but hey, what can you do?

Draft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 06:08 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:

reading your 2nd paragraph, one could easly think you're about to turn into a Leafs fan.

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 11:20 AM
HCH

Quote:
If MB doesn't address the team's physical/toughness play before the season starts, I'm done. I'm suiciding this moniker and giving up. I can't take another decade of pansies prancing around an 82 game season, shooting pucks at the other team when they get angry.
My guess is that you are addicted to the Habs like the rest of us. I could be wrong but it looks like you have a passion for the team and that is hard to give up.

On a positive note, I think MB will try to build a team that reflects the way he played... with grit and hard work. He is a guy who paid his dues, a guy who bounced between the minors and the NHL and who bounced around the NHL once he had made it. I think he knows what it takes to succeed and he is methodically putting the pieces into place.

Last year everyone was concerned that he would be able to manage contracts under the cap. That issue has been put to rest. Now many are concerned that the team won't be tough enough. Some may be underestimating Bergevin's abilities to identify needs and address those needs. I remain confident that he understands the situation and that you won't have to be done with the team.

I think there are exciting years ahead.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 11:30 AM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Anyway, just want to say this....if that's the only UFA we re-signs....it's okay. Note though...it HAS to be the only UFA we sign prior to July....I do not want to see a Armstrong signing. And I don't want to hear about how great he is in the room. We need players on the ice. If he's that great in the room, make him retire and name him coach. Do not want to hear how he'd be a perfect 13th forward. A perfect 13th forward would be a goon that knows a little about the game of hockey. That you dress once in a while to get some message through and win some moral victories.

Armstrong would NOT be a perfect 13th forward as he is a Therrien favorite AND will end up a 12th forward.
I'll tell you Whitesnake, I'm about THAT close to start writing a book named "Those great things Whitesnake said". I agree with everything you just said, as usual.

HiggsBozon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 11:40 AM
Captain Saku

This signing probably means that Bouillon will be our 6th defenseman and not 7th.

Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 12:31 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post

Gorges has played 20+ minutes the last 5 years, how much more "proven" do you want from a player? Plus he is 28, a lot younger than those two meaning 5 more years of contract is less risky than for a 34-35 year old.

What "more" do Scuderi and Ference bring? Scuderi the last 2 years has 21 ponts and -13, Gerence had 37 points and +15 and Gorges 25 points and +18. Oduya 30 points and +6. Size wise he is bigger than Ference and a bit smaller than Scuderi.

Saying those guys are clearly better is BS. You can argue small details either way but he's at least on par with the majority of those guys.

Your last paragraph is ridiculous.

I said Gorges was a good/solid #3-4, how you assiociate that with "great" is mind boggling. I don't know of too mnay #3-04 guys going into the hall of fame, great d-men are usually #1 or at worst #2 on powerhouse teams. Drewiske is a dependable #7 guy, gain, not sure on which planet taht equates to "great", Tinordi has excellent upside but based on his play so far in the NHl he's been far far from great, still a work in progress. Diaz, same as Gorges, good/solid #3-4, again, not sure where you get "great" out of that?

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote