HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Draft Talk Part V: Flyers own the 11th overall pick

Closed Thread

Old
06-14-2013, 06:28 PM
poneill27

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post
If the Flyers do the rumored Read for Bernier swap, are there any forwards available around 11th overall who would have the ability to start in the line up opening night in Read's 2nd/3rd line spot? If so, I wouldn't be that against taking a forward at that spot, as the drop off in defensemen later in the draft isn't as bad as the drop off in forwards historically.
I've been thinking they might take a forward too. If they do I'm ok with it because some dynamic forwards are there too.

Nichushkin...not likely but would be awesome!!
Shinkaruk...playing w/Giroux SICK!!
Domi...Love it
Horvat...Love
Zykov...Really like

However this plays out should be awesome!!! (please don't get cute and blow it)

Old
06-14-2013, 06:30 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0ka47 View Post
I'm on the Morin bandwagon. I see a young Pronger/Chara. But wouldn't it be a reach takin him at 11?
Yeah but if he is the guy you want, he isnt going to make it to 41. Same thing with laughton last year. he wouldnt have made it to the 2nd round, You pick the player you feel is best.

Old
06-14-2013, 06:41 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

11th + 1st 2014 + 41st + Cousins + Meszaros

to CBJ for

19th + 22nd + 27th

I wish...

Potentially drop Morrissey, Morin, and Mueller...

Old
06-14-2013, 06:53 PM
MRxBLACK
ESPN Sucks

vCash: 50
Chris, CLB has picks 14, 19, and 27 actually.

Old
06-14-2013, 06:58 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRxBLACK View Post
Chris, CLB has picks 14, 19, and 27 actually.
Even better...I must've misread that then...

Oh, that's what I messed up.

CBJ has 14, 19, and 27.
CGY has 6, 22, and 28.

Old
06-14-2013, 07:03 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Even better...I must've misread that then...

Oh, that's what I messed up.

CBJ has 14, 19, and 27.
CGY has 6, 22, and 28.
If its the 14th it makes a difference compared to 19th. Meszaros shouldn't even be included in that deal. He's basically a throw in with a big salary to a team with an already established defense.

It's honestly a bad deal all around for Columbus.

Old
06-14-2013, 07:06 PM
hockeyfreak7

This draft could be a huge leap forward for both Columbus and Calgary but the thought of Feaster doing anything right just makes me laugh.

JD and Kekalainen on the other hand are going to absolutely kill it, I'm sure. Give it a few years and the Jackets will be a scary team.

Old
06-14-2013, 07:09 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
11th + 1st 2014 + 41st + Cousins + Meszaros

to CBJ for

19th + 22nd + 27th

I wish...

Potentially drop Morrissey, Morin, and Mueller...
The chance that the Flyers take three defensemen with three first round picks is the same as the Penguins trading us Letang.

Old
06-14-2013, 07:18 PM
Clown Baby

Quote:
I'm on the Morin bandwagon. I see a young Pronger/Chara. But wouldn't it be a reach takin him at 11?
I see another Doherty/Ellerby/Petrecki. If we're lucky, we get Erskine.

Old
06-14-2013, 07:21 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
If its the 14th it makes a difference compared to 19th. Meszaros shouldn't even be included in that deal. He's basically a throw in with a big salary to a team with an already established defense.

It's honestly a bad deal all around for Columbus.
Hence the "I wish."

We could really use 3 draft picks this year.

No chance though.

Old
06-14-2013, 07:23 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Hence the "I wish."

We could really use 3 draft picks this year.

No chance though.
I know but no offense that was like something you would see on the Trades and Rumors board.

Old
06-14-2013, 07:24 PM
hockeyfreak7

With Laughton's stock presumably rising this season, would there be any chance of dealing him for a 15-20 range pick? Could be an alternative for a team looking to draft Horvat if he is off the board.

Old
06-14-2013, 07:29 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I know but no offense that was like something you would see on the Trades and Rumors board.
Yeah. I think I'm losing my mind over this need for defensemen thing.

I wish for four things:

1. Holmgren to buyout Briere and Bryzgalov.
2. Laviolette to move Schenn to the wing.
3. No panic trade moves of our young talent.
4. Our front office to make the right call and hit a home-run with a defenseman in the draft.

Unfortunately drafting defenseman in the 1st can result in one of three things:
1. Chara
2. Coburn
3. Eminger

Ugh. The odds of us getting a real #1 are pretty crappy. Every defenseman has some flaw. It's not like picking forwards.

Old
06-14-2013, 07:30 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
With Laughton's stock presumably rising this season, would there be any chance of dealing him for a 15-20 range pick? Could be an alternative for a team looking to draft Horvat if he is off the board.
I'd rather keep him.

The more I look at the numbers, the more I realize that picking defensemen is a crap shoot.

Old
06-14-2013, 07:59 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

If the rumored deal of Read for Bernier is true (and I really wouldn't be surprised if it went down. If we buyout Bryz, you have to think the organization is not going to want to shell out a huge contract for another goaltender. This seems like a pretty logical move for them actually) I would be less annoyed at taking a forward. For me I'd rank them like this...

Nichushkin: most likely not going to fall to #11, but stranger things have happened. Is ready to step into an NHL lineup next season if he comes over.

Shinkaruk: may not be physically ready to play an NHL role right away, but with his sheer talent and skill, it could really go either way. I love this kids upside, but his dip in production this past year makes me a tad apprehensive.

Mantha: this kid is phsically ready to play in the NHL. He could stand to add a few pounds, and he could get away with it because he's a tremendous skater. He has the potential to be a type of player that's becoming a hot commodity in the NHL. The dynamic goal scoring power forward hybrid sort of player that makes matchups hell for the other team. This kid will be a 2nd line winger at worst in the NHL IMO.

Honestly, if we could swing the deal with LA, I would seriously consider moving the 11th overall pick + something else to either Calgary or Columbus for 2 of their picks and grab Mantha and perhaps a guy like Morrissey.

I'd then sign dany Heatley to a 2 year deal, provided he's bought out, because I think he'd do really well back in the east playing with a center like Giroux. And we'd have something like...

Heatley-Giroux-Voracek
Hartnell-Schenn-Simmonds
Gagne-Couturier-Mantha
Talbot-Laughton-Rinaldo
Rosehill

Timonen-Coburn
Streit-Schenn
Gustafsson-Grossmann

Bernier/Mason
Mason/Bernier

Following year D

Streit-Schenn
Gustafsson-Grossmann
Morrissey-Coburn

Old
06-14-2013, 08:12 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
If the rumored deal of Read for Bernier is true (and I really wouldn't be surprised if it went down. If we buyout Bryz, you have to think the organization is not going to want to shell out a huge contract for another goaltender. This seems like a pretty logical move for them actually) I would be less annoyed at taking a forward. For me I'd rank them like this...

Nichushkin: most likely not going to fall to #11, but stranger things have happened. Is ready to step into an NHL lineup next season if he comes over.

Shinkaruk: may not be physically ready to play an NHL role right away, but with his sheer talent and skill, it could really go either way. I love this kids upside, but his dip in production this past year makes me a tad apprehensive.

Mantha: this kid is phsically ready to play in the NHL. He could stand to add a few pounds, and he could get away with it because he's a tremendous skater. He has the potential to be a type of player that's becoming a hot commodity in the NHL. The dynamic goal scoring power forward hybrid sort of player that makes matchups hell for the other team. This kid will be a 2nd line winger at worst in the NHL IMO.

Honestly, if we could swing the deal with LA, I would seriously consider moving the 11th overall pick + something else to either Calgary or Columbus for 2 of their picks and grab Mantha and perhaps a guy like Morrissey.

I'd then sign dany Heatley to a 2 year deal, provided he's bought out, because I think he'd do really well back in the east playing with a center like Giroux. And we'd have something like...

Heatley-Giroux-Voracek
Hartnell-Schenn-Simmonds
Gagne-Couturier-Mantha
Talbot-Laughton-Rinaldo
Rosehill

Timonen-Coburn
Streit-Schenn
Gustafsson-Grossmann

Bernier/Mason
Mason/Bernier
Trading Read for Bernier is an interesting idea. I consider it overpayment, but I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to it. I'd like to pay less.

That said, if you go that route, you need to find wingers. Schenn would be obvious for a move over.

Hartnell - Giroux - Voracek
Schenn - Couturier - Simmonds
xxxxxx - Laughton - xxxxxx
Rinaldo - xxxxxx - Talbot

I'd almost like the idea of trading Read away because it might force Laviolette's hand in moving Schenn outside and bumping up Laughton. We need veteran wingers though. I assume Gagne would be signed, and we would need another. McGinn is not a veteran, but he's interesting. Akeson would not make the team at that point because he's definitely not going to be able to pull the defensive load that would be expected of Laughton's line.

I don't know. I'm torn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Following year D

Streit-Schenn
Gustafsson-Grossmann
Morrissey-Coburn
Grossmann will not be better than Coburn. Having Coburn on our bottom pairing over Grossmann is a mistake.

That said, Coburn always played his best next to Timonen. Gustafsson makes a very intriguing long-term partner for Coburn considering his play-style.

Old
06-14-2013, 08:31 PM
poneill27

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=mXBsU3Tl1JA

I dont know how to embed

Samuel Morin U18 Highlights

Old
06-14-2013, 08:37 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by poneill27 View Post

There you go.

Old
06-14-2013, 08:42 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by poneill27 View Post

I dont know how to embed

Use (YT)mXBsU3Tl1JA(/YT)

With brackets instead of parentheses.

EDIT: How awesome would it be to come out with Morin and Morrissey in this draft? I would love trade back to try to get two picks in the 15-20 range.

Old
06-14-2013, 08:45 PM
FLYERSFAN18

Looks like he could be a great player. Would be more than happy if we take him. The only thing I wasn't amazed by was his shot which doesn't seem to be all that great. But then again that is the only video I have seen of him

Old
06-14-2013, 08:48 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYERSFAN18 View Post
Looks like he could be a great player. Would be more than happy if we take him. The only thing I wasn't amazed by was his shot which doesn't seem to be all that great. But then again that is the only video I have seen of him
It's still much better than Ristolainen's shot.

I like Rist, but man, I'm nervous about a PMD who can't shoot. That's why Pulock looks so intriguing.

Really though, as I keep mentioning, every single one of these guys has some flaw. We're going to have to really guess at which one could become that guy for us.

All look awesome but have that one glaring weakness that could be problematic down the road. It's exactly why I would love multiple picks in this draft. Best case scenario we could pull out multiple winners and be set for the next decade.

Old
06-14-2013, 08:49 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Some would say yes, but he's another who's climbing real fast because of his performance at the U18 tournament and his work ethic (apparently he's got a work ethic that's off the chart and he's very receptive to coaching).

Old
06-14-2013, 08:59 PM
lancer247

what's the difference between Zadorov and Morin?
it seems like Zad is more polished now but who has the higher upside?

Old
06-14-2013, 08:59 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Some would say yes, but he's another who's climbing real fast because of his performance at the U18 tournament and his work ethic (apparently he's got a work ethic that's off the chart and he's very receptive to coaching).
See: Laughton, Scott

Unfortunately, I see Morin as a high-end shut-down guy at the NHL level. Maybe as much offense as Coburn.

His positioning is fantastic and his agility keeps him right along with shifty forwards.

As a toss-up between Zadorov and Morin? I don't know. Morin is coachable to the very letter, but Zadorov has a higher upside.

Either way, these are guys we consider after we find someone with offensive umph (if they fall to us or if we find another high pick).

Last edited by CS: 06-14-2013 at 09:05 PM.
Old
06-14-2013, 09:05 PM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
It's still much better than Ristolainen's shot.

I like Rist, but man, I'm nervous about a PMD who can't shoot. That's why Pulock looks so intriguing.

Really though, as I keep mentioning, every single one of these guys has some flaw. We're going to have to really guess at which one could become that guy for us.

All look awesome but have that one glaring weakness that could be problematic down the road. It's exactly why I would love multiple picks in this draft. Best case scenario we could pull out multiple winners and be set for the next decade.
It would be nice to add an extra first round pick. The possibility of drafting two defenseman in the first round would do wonders for our defense going forward. Could you imagine drafting say Morin and Pulock. The only player I would consider trading from the NHL roster to get another first would be Coburn, but then that puts us right back where we were when we didnt have Streit

Closed Thread