HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 11.0

Closed Thread

Old
06-14-2013, 09:32 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

vCash: 500
I mean, you know you are old when one of the kid that is going to be drafted, is actually the son of a guy I remember CLEARLY going to a game of his when he was playing with....the Ottawa 67's. I remember that I was going with a group of guys to see a Habs vs Leafs game in Toronto and by myself, and I was only 16-17 years old at the time, I wanted to see the Ottawa 67's 'cause I wanted to see by myself what this Andrew Cassels was all about. And after just that game...I wanted the Habs to pick him so much.....I guess the Habs brass was also present that day....

As far as Cole Cassels is all about, he make me remember his father.....yet, I thought Andrew was quicker on his feet. While both were/are thinkers of the game, Cole doesn't have a greater talent.....but potential might be there. He might actually be a fine bet in the 4th/5th round for any team.I would clearly not pick him earlier than that though.

Old
06-14-2013, 09:40 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Snippin' Yank

vCash: 597
Andrew Cassels had 151 points in 61 games in his post-draft season. Won the OHL scoring race by 16 points. Wow.

If there was a HF back then, the hype would have been massive. We probably would have Galchenyuk like threads for him!

Last edited by Marc the Habs Fan: 06-14-2013 at 09:47 PM.
Old
06-14-2013, 09:58 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

I know you guys are fooling around, but Latendresse and Mantha don't deserve to be in the same sentence. Mantha is a much better skater.

Latendresse is pulling a whole orchestra behind him when he skates, might be the slowest skater in the entire league.

Old
06-14-2013, 10:00 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Andrew Cassels had 151 points in 61 games in his post-draft season. Won the OHL scoring race by 16 points. Wow.

If there was a HF back then, the hype would have been massive. We probably would have Galchenyuk like threads for him!
In the eyes of a kid like I was, I just remember how swift he was on the ice. Everything seemed so easy for him, not incredibly fast but a great flawless skater....or that's how I saw it at the time. Great vision. I guess I didn't concentrate too much on the physical aspect of the game at the time, but I was just incredibly impressed by such a natural talent. And up close like that (I remember, it's scary, I was in the 5th row center ice), was even more impressive.

Old
06-14-2013, 10:03 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
I know you guys are fooling around, but Latendresse and Mantha don't deserve to be in the same sentence. Mantha is a much better skater.

Latendresse is pulling a whole orchestra behind him when he skates, might be the slowest skater in the entire league.
We are fooling around yet....aside from the skating. Where we could clearly put them in the same sentence are when we're talking about big guys that actually aren't playing as big as their actual size. And that might have the "lazy" label attached to them.

Though, what I said before, is that I believe it's not already done as far as Mantha is concerned. I saw him initiate more hits than some would like to believe. And he played the PK quite a lot this year too as far as I'm concerned. I know that every game I saw him in, he played the PK so I would imagine he played it when I wasn't watching too.

Old
06-14-2013, 10:09 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
We are fooling around yet....aside from the skating. Where we could clearly put them in the same sentence are when we're talking about big guys that actually aren't playing as big as their actual size. And that might have the "lazy" label attached to them.

Though, what I said before, is that I believe it's not already done as far as Mantha is concerned. I saw him initiate more hits than some would like to believe. And he played the PK quite a lot this year too as far as I'm concerned. I know that every game I saw him in, he played the PK so I would imagine he played it when I wasn't watching too.
He played the PK when the Foreurs were in Sherbrooke too. Good anticipation level, and deadly on the counter-attacks.

Old
06-14-2013, 10:29 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Yea he really didn't play because he was a good stick-checker or shot-blocker. Just paused near the blueline waiting for a bad pass so he can fly for a SHG.

Old
06-14-2013, 10:32 PM
ChoseLa

Quote:
He played the PK when the Foreurs were in Sherbrooke too. Good anticipation level, and deadly on the counter-attacks.
Anthony Mantha? I heard he gets off the bench, sits on the ice and spaces out until there is a scoring chance. Surely you jest.

Old
06-14-2013, 10:37 PM
S Bah

Quote:
I mean, you know you are old when one of the kid that is going to be drafted, is actually the son of a guy I remember CLEARLY going to a game of his when he was playing with....the Ottawa 67's. I remember that I was going with a group of guys to see a Habs vs Leafs game in Toronto and by myself, and I was only 16-17 years old at the time, I wanted to see the Ottawa 67's 'cause I wanted to see by myself what this Andrew Cassels was all about. And after just that game...I wanted the Habs to pick him so much.....I guess the Habs brass was also present that day....

As far as Cole Cassels is all about, he make me remember his father.....yet, I thought Andrew was quicker on his feet. While both were/are thinkers of the game, Cole doesn't have a greater talent.....but potential might be there. He might actually be a fine bet in the 4th/5th round for any team.I would clearly not pick him earlier than that though.
I remember going to the old Forum with my Dad for a Habs practice in 1958/59. Jean Beliveau came to talk with my Dad and brought him a color picture of the 1957/58 Habs team SC winning of course and it was signed by the whole team.Still have the picture, I lived in Longueuil at the time and apparently so did Jean and he had invited my Dad to come down to the Forum. Montreal Canadiens fan ever since then and my favorite player, you guessed it Big Jean Beliveau, I now have his book,pictures etc, all autographed and McFarlane figures both home and away. It doesn't make me feel old though, watching the Habs and being a fan makes me feel young and really happy to be a Hab fan.

Last edited by S Bah: 06-14-2013 at 10:42 PM.
Old
06-14-2013, 11:13 PM
yoteshot

With you guys talking about Andrew Cassels, made me look up and realize how great that 1987 draft was for the Habs. 3 players with 1000 games played (Cassels, Desjardins, Schneider) and another with 967 (Leclair), all in the first 3 rounds. If they can do half as good this year, then it's still gonna be an incredible haul.

Plus they drafted a guy called Steve McCool. How much more awesome does it get?

Old
06-14-2013, 11:26 PM
ccgg

Quote:
Same thing vs the PEI Rocket. He is very dangerous in the neutral zone without the puck. He is like a shark waiting then boom, he has the puck on a breakaway. He was a good penalty-killer too. Nothing wow but he was on the shooting lanes.

Old
06-14-2013, 11:43 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Snippin' Yank

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoteshot View Post
With you guys talking about Andrew Cassels, made me look up and realize how great that 1987 draft was for the Habs. 3 players with 1000 games played (Cassels, Desjardins, Schneider) and another with 967 (Leclair), all in the first 3 rounds. If they can do half as good this year, then it's still gonna be an incredible haul.

Plus they drafted a guy called Steve McCool. How much more awesome does it get?
1987 and 1984 are just crazy. FOUR guys playing 1000 games in 1984, 3 in 1987 and 1 who came damn close. It's mind boggling.

And don't forget Ed Ronan in that 1987 class, huge hustle play to negate an icing in Game 2 in OT vs BUF in 1993 to set-up Carbo's winner!

Looking back at all those 80's drafts, it's stunning how many good players the scouting staff picked after round 1. Ludwig, Chelios, Kurvers, Lemieux, Richer, Roy, Lumme (who barely played here but had a solid NHL career), LeClair, Desjardins, Schneider, Brisebois, etc. Even useful parts like Momesso, Hill, Odelein, Brunet and Gilchrist. You can add in 1990 they got Craig Conroy in the 6th round and he played 1000 games in the league.

Yet they constantly failed in round 1 during that long stretch aside from 1984 with Svoboda and Corson and 1987 with Cassels. It shows you how inexact of a science this can be.

Old
06-15-2013, 12:29 AM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Quote:

i saw him initiate contacts too but im my view those were useless/no purpose hits. he went to hit just because he know he's a big kid that need to do it. But those hits didn't do anything as far as getting the puck back or put fear into the defensemens on the forecheck. He didn't run over anyone as well like Latendresse used to do it earlier in his nhl or jr days.

Most underated part of his game imo his how smart he his, one of the smartest players coming out of the QMJHL. Also everyone talk about his goal scoring potential but he's an excellent passer as well.

If i'm Bergervin im hoping he's gone before pick #25, he's the ultimate boom or bust pick, lots of qualities but also a lot of red flag as well (Physical play, inconsistency, perimiter). I would let someone else picked him

Old
06-15-2013, 01:03 AM
TinordiandSubban

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I would NOT be a happy camper.

Like Zykov
De La Rose way too early
Dauphin is fine.
Diaby is too early
Duclair is... Duclair. I do not like him.
Don't mind Cassells but I wouldn't take him that early either.
When you do a mock by yourself you tend to burn through your list pretty quick...if you're honest.

If I was going to cheat and arrange things then Habs picks would be:

25-Morin
34-McCarron
36-Hartman
55-Mueller
71-Sanford
86-Laplante

Old
06-15-2013, 01:16 AM
Habsfannick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
1987 and 1984 are just crazy. FOUR guys playing 1000 games in 1984, 3 in 1987 and 1 who came damn close. It's mind boggling.

And don't forget Ed Ronan in that 1987 class, huge hustle play to negate an icing in Game 2 in OT vs BUF in 1993 to set-up Carbo's winner!

Looking back at all those 80's drafts, it's stunning how many good players the scouting staff picked after round 1. Ludwig, Chelios, Kurvers, Lemieux, Richer, Roy, Lumme (who barely played here but had a solid NHL career), LeClair, Desjardins, Schneider, Brisebois, etc. Even useful parts like Momesso, Hill, Odelein, Brunet and Gilchrist. You can add in 1990 they got Craig Conroy in the 6th round and he played 1000 games in the league.

Yet they constantly failed in round 1 during that long stretch aside from 1984 with Svoboda and Corson and 1987 with Cassels. It shows you how inexact of a science this can be.
Although I agree that it is not an exact science I think the draft and scouting for the draft has gotten much bigger and easier with evolution of technology

Old
06-15-2013, 04:16 AM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
Anthony Mantha? I heard he gets off the bench, sits on the ice and spaces out until there is a scoring chance. Surely you jest.
He's also the softest guy on the ice and compared to Latendresse..... yet he's had three fights this year, winning two and drawing on another. He's got a little bit of a mean streak.

On ice Work-ethic /= Character
Style of play /= Level of Toughness
Physicality /= Defensive ability

(/= means does not equal for those confused)

I'm not saying he's perfect or that he's driven to be a power forward, there's just lots of unfounded hate and speculation that's getting thrown around. I agree with WS, there's room to grow for Mantha, it was a break out season for him but he's still capable of adaptation and growth. Big guys develop later and style of play can be included in that development IMO.

Old
06-15-2013, 05:52 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
I remember going to the old Forum with my Dad for a Habs practice in 1958/59. Jean Beliveau came to talk with my Dad and brought him a color picture of the 1957/58 Habs team SC winning of course and it was signed by the whole team.Still have the picture, I lived in Longueuil at the time and apparently so did Jean and he had invited my Dad to come down to the Forum. Montreal Canadiens fan ever since then and my favorite player, you guessed it Big Jean Beliveau, I now have his book,pictures etc, all autographed and McFarlane figures both home and away. It doesn't make me feel old though, watching the Habs and being a fan makes me feel young and really happy to be a Hab fan.
Great story! My dad who passed away 2 years ago had also great stories as he was a usher at the Forum and Bell Centre as well as the Olympic Stadium for the Expos. When they were destroying the Forum, my dad was amongst the ushers that were chosen to guard it during the day. And there were a lot of known visitors that stopped by to go in and witness the destruction of it and such and the guy that left my father the biggest impression was....Adam Graves as strange as it sounds. He came in with his wife, asked my father to come in, my father knew who he was, and he accepted and Graves wanted to go at the center where the ice was and wasn't there anymore and was extremely touched to see that this great building was not going to be anymore...My father said that he was really emotional and he wasn't expected that. Anyway, that's far from the draft.....but true that it shouldn't make ourselves old compared to the rest of our net friends here, just happy to have been part of something great and hoping it can come back somehow. And the draft is the way to restart this thing...how do you like that to get back in topic???

Old
06-15-2013, 05:57 AM
pcamp

I wish we had 2 more picks in the 31-38 range so we could get Dauphin, Poirier, McCoshen and someone else from that ridiculously strong second round

Old
06-15-2013, 06:03 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamp View Post
I wish we had 2 more picks in the 31-38 range so we could get Dauphin, Poirier, McCoshen and someone else from that ridiculously strong second round
I'd almost prefer trading down..

Although if Mirco Mueller is on the board, you take him. Unless, we are following the poll here. I like Rychel but he's not a better prospect than Mueller.

Old
06-15-2013, 06:32 AM
GRECOHAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinordiandSubban View Post
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...1#post67494143

Habs Picks:

25- Valentyn (Tino) Zykov, RW, Baie-Comeau
34-Jacob De la Rose, LW, Leksands,
36-Laurent Dauphin, C, Chicoutimi
55-Jonathan-Ismael (Le Grand Tigre) Diaby, D, Victoriaville
71-Anthony Duclair, LW, Quebec
85-Cole Cassels, C, Oshawa
At 25, Zykov is ok if all the other good players are picked, i mean do you pass on Morin, if available, to pick Zykov? He will probably be PBA by the time we pick so i am ok with this pick.

At 34, De la Rose is very high. We have to consider that we will probably pick one defender with the 3 first pick, and if Zykov is the 25th pick we should expect a defender with the 34th or 36th pick. Another thing is that do we really feel De la Rose is better than Poirier, Rychel, Hartman, who are predicted to be picked in the 25-40 range? Also there is a chance there will be a 1st round sleeper coming down to us like Klimchuk, Petan or Lazar, and i wouldn't miss out at those...

At 36, i dont like Dauphin for the exact same reasons of the De la Rose pick. We cant miss some big early second round defenders, like Santini, McCoshen, Bowey, Heatherington. I think we should pick one of those eventually.

At 55 you selected Diaby. I like him alot, and i think he fits our needs perfectly, but i do think he will be available at our 71st. Of course we cant predict this and i think the key is how many G are selected in the 2nd round. If other teams select, as predicted, 3-4 G's at the 2nd round, Diaby will be available with the 71st. At the 55th we will still have a chance for a sleeper like Burakowski, Nastasuik, De la Rose, or we can get i highly touted player like Bailey who seems to be a Timmins favorite.

At 71 Diaby, a non brainer, and at 85 Cassels seems all right too. Some of them are really nice picks, dude...

Old
06-15-2013, 06:34 AM
Draft

Would we rather Diaby or M-O Roy with #55?

Old
06-15-2013, 06:37 AM
onice

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
Carbonneau, Lemieux, Roy, Desjardins, etc... These were not top picks but fit in well here
Carbonneau...was shipped out of town after giving the finger to local reporters.

Roy...asked to be moved after he was trolled by Mario Tremblay & heckled by his own fans.

Lemieux... was jeered by the fans at the forum and Pat Burns couldn't stand his antics anymore and asked Savard to ship him out.

So that leaves you with Desjardins. 1 out of 4.

Yeah, they really fitted well in Montreal.

Old
06-15-2013, 06:58 AM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinordiandSubban View Post
When you do a mock by yourself you tend to burn through your list pretty quick...if you're honest.

If I was going to cheat and arrange things then Habs picks would be:

25-Morin
34-McCarron
36-Hartman
55-Mueller
71-Sanford
86-Laplante
Those are excellent choices IMO, I too like Mueller but I would prefer Diaby. I feel that with Prust, White and Diaby. Other teams wouldn't cheapshot our players and then Tinordi and Morin could stick to playing hockey, unless a brawl breaks out.
Quote:
Great story! My dad who passed away 2 years ago had also great stories as he was a usher at the Forum and Bell Centre as well as the Olympic Stadium for the Expos. When they were destroying the Forum, my dad was amongst the ushers that were chosen to guard it during the day. And there were a lot of known visitors that stopped by to go in and witness the destruction of it and such and the guy that left my father the biggest impression was....Adam Graves as strange as it sounds. He came in with his wife, asked my father to come in, my father knew who he was, and he accepted and Graves wanted to go at the center where the ice was and wasn't there anymore and was extremely touched to see that this great building was not going to be anymore...My father said that he was really emotional and he wasn't expected that. Anyway, that's far from the draft.....but true that it shouldn't make ourselves old compared to the rest of our net friends here, just happy to have been part of something great and hoping it can come back somehow. And the draft is the way to restart this thing...how do you like that to get back in topic???
Nice story WS, the Forum had a special spot in people's hearts all over the Planet from what I've seen through the years. The Habs have always been good sportsmen and ambassadors for the game and for Canada everywhere I've lived. The Habs won most of their SC's at the Forum also and the fan's have always been the greatest. Your father must have really enjoyed his job and borne witness to some of the greatest Hockey players and magnificent scoring plays during his time as an usher there. For a Hab fan what job could possibly be better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamp View Post
I too would love to see Bergevin make a couple of trades to acquire draft picks, that can assure the Habs of some more QMJHL players to catch up for all the years with meagre selections from the Q.

Last edited by S Bah: 06-16-2013 at 07:58 PM.
Old
06-15-2013, 07:02 AM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
Carbonneau...was shipped out of town after giving the finger to local reporters.

Roy...asked to be moved after he was trolled by Mario Tremblay & heckled by his own fans.

Lemieux... was jeered by the fans at the forum and Pat Burns couldn't stand his antics anymore and asked Savard to ship him out.

So that leaves you with Desjardins. 1 out of 4.

Yeah, they really fitted well in Montreal.
Don't forget Desjardins was traded in the off - season after that great playoffs he had. That must have hurt and he was just coming into his prime at the time.

Old
06-15-2013, 08:01 AM
Teamwork

Leafs' fans are talking about trading up for the 3rd overall pick. I feel like this happens every year!

Closed Thread