HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The All-Purpose Goaltending Thread XI

Old
05-23-2013, 01:09 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
yup and all that will guarantee is that next season will be another ****ing circus/distraction/cluster**** situation in goal.
I hope not but I fear this....same with holding on to Lavi. The two of them should have been let go this offseason but again they aren't b/c management doesn't want to indict themselves for their part in all of this...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 01:55 PM
Mota

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
yup and all that will guarantee is that next season will be another ****ing circus/distraction/cluster**** situation in goal.
If they strengthen the defense by bringing someone in and adjusting their system, I have confidence in both goalies next year. Bryz has had success here when the team plays well in front of him...as did Mason at the end of this year. I don't worry about goaltending being a weakness, I think it will still be miles better then it was a couple years ago.

Is it good enough to justify Bryz's cap hit? No. But I still dont like the idea of buying him out for the sake of doing it. Unless they have a smart way of spending his money this summer, I'd rather wait and use it next summer on all of their RFA's. This organization has to stop making panic moves.

As for the whole "distraction"...I dont think that really exists in the locker room. If there are players on this team who dont play as hard when Bryz is in net because they dont like him, those players are the problem, not Bryz.

Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 02:22 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Bryz has also managed to suck pretty badly when the team plays great defense in front of him, too. We've gone through every excuse imaginable for the guy and none of them has stood up for long.

05-23-2013, 03:56 PM
markzab

Send a message via AIM to markzab
Something interesting a buddy of mine posted in another forum. This would change the dynamic of doing two buyouts this season. I didn't think Snider would do both at one time cause that's a lot of money to fork out in one offseason, but...

Quote:
A detail I wondered about the NHL's new CBA I found out today

Quote:
Quote:
6. Payroll Range, Transition and Compliance Buy-Outs

During the Ordinary Course “Buy-Out” periods following the 2012/13 season and 2013/14 season, in addition to any other Ordinary Course “Buy-Outs” a Club may elect to effectuate pursuant to Paragraph 13 of the SPC, Clubs may elect to terminate and “buy-out” the already existing SPCs of up to two (2) additional Players (in the aggregate over the two (2) years) on a Compliance basis (a “Compliance Buy-Out”). Such Compliance Buy-Out(s) would be effectuated on the same terms as are set forth in Paragraph 13 of the SPC, except that the amounts paid under such “buy-out(s)” will not be charged against the Club’s Cap in any of the years in which the payments are made to the Player. Amounts paid under such Compliance Buy-Out(s) will, however, be counted against the Players’ Share during any League Year in which the “buy-out” payments are made. A Player that has been bought out under these Compliance Buy-Out provisions shall be prohibited from re-joining the Club that bought him out (via re-signing, Assignment, Waiver claim or otherwise) for the duration of the 2013/14 League Year (if the Player was bought out in 2013) and the 2014/15 League Year (if the Player was bought out in 2014).

For the purposes of the two buyouts teams get this year and next... the money from the buyout does not come out of the owners pocket, it comes out of the NHLPA's share of league revenue.

markzab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 04:18 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Bryz has also managed to suck pretty badly when the team plays great defense in front of him, too. We've gone through every excuse imaginable for the guy and none of them has stood up for long.
oh you can't see him handling the pressure of a stanley cup final? me neither. that's the biggest thing is we brought him here for that and there's no way he can be trusted in a situation like that unless he does a 180 next year and stops being so gay and sensitive about comments our retarded reporters make about him. i would hope we are evaluating the mental stability of whoever the next guy we bring in. i'd also rather have a younger player like bernier or whoever. luongo at this point is a mental midget too.

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 05:03 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
oh you can't see him handling the pressure of a stanley cup final? me neither. that's the biggest thing is we brought him here for that and there's no way he can be trusted in a situation like that unless he does a 180 next year and stops being so gay and sensitive about comments our retarded reporters make about him. i would hope we are evaluating the mental stability of whoever the next guy we bring in. i'd also rather have a younger player like bernier or whoever. luongo at this point is a mental midget too.
he clearly couldnt even handle the pressure of the WC.. the SC final, would have him melt into goo..

Flyerfan4life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 09:12 AM
Kevin Danko
Web Design

vCash: 897
I remember reading something or watching something where Mason thought that his issues the last couple years stemmed from the size of his pads? He said something along the lines of his rookie season he used much smaller pads but NHL regulations made him get larger ones the next couple seasons? Is this accurate?

If so, I recently thought i read that NHL is going to downsize goalie equipment...could be a good thing for Mason if true...

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2013/06/...lie-equipment/

(I don't buy it that its all his equipments fault but im sure theres something to that statement that maybe he felt off his game because the different equipment...playing ice hockey, i know that i prefer to play with a certain stick and gloves and if i switch gloves or stick it takes me a while to get used to it)

Kevin Danko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 11:04 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindank View Post
I remember reading something or watching something where Mason thought that his issues the last couple years stemmed from the size of his pads? He said something along the lines of his rookie season he used much smaller pads but NHL regulations made him get larger ones the next couple seasons? Is this accurate?

If so, I recently thought i read that NHL is going to downsize goalie equipment...could be a good thing for Mason if true...

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2013/06/...lie-equipment/

(I don't buy it that its all his equipments fault but im sure theres something to that statement that maybe he felt off his game because the different equipment...playing ice hockey, i know that i prefer to play with a certain stick and gloves and if i switch gloves or stick it takes me a while to get used to it)

Yeah he mentioned it in an interview I heard on NHL radio when the Flyers acquired him. Said that he was comfortable with those smaller pads in his rookie year but then in practices he would get dinged up etc and it made him hesitant in net or something along those lines. I mentioned this in a thread and some CBJ fans said it was a crutch of his and said he was exaggerating it and that he just sucked. Who knows..I mean it sounded like a plausible excuse but yeah he might have used it as a crutch too much. We shall see. Their fans did say he looked technically better last season and seemed to have improved his work ethic but that he was still prone to inconsistent meltdowns. He would be great one game and stink the next..kind of like Bryz. However, obviously here in his short stint he was more consistent and looked like his old self. Hopefully, not just a mirage but with our luck prolly was...

Last edited by FreshPerspective: 06-07-2013 at 11:42 AM.
Old
06-07-2013, 11:34 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Last season when Brodeur was struggling up to the halfway point, I seem to recall that he increased his leg pad size for the first time in his career or something. He finished the season strong.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 11:43 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Last season when Brodeur was struggling up to the halfway point, I seem to recall that he increased his leg pad size for the first time in his career or something. He finished the season strong.
Well Bryz decreased his shirt size this past season after McCrossin's experiment to add weight supposedly hindered his mobility.....he still sucked

Old
06-07-2013, 12:14 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
Quote:
You can just switch sizes? I always thought there was a standard size for goalie pads.

06-07-2013, 12:26 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
You can just switch sizes? I always thought there was a standard size for goalie pads.
There's an upper limit on size. Apparently he'd just gone with the same thing for ages.

Found an article: http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2...odeur_t_3.html

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 12:32 PM
flyingsouth

Quote:
Dead right. It seems every excuse of differing validity has been used to cover for Bryz, but I think we've finally gone through the lot. Euthanise this experiment now!

flyingsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 05:50 PM
The Couturier Effect

@TSNBobMcKenzie
Quote:
It's not carved in stone, but in spite of what has been said in past, I expect PHI is likely to use compliance buyout on Ilya Bryzgalov
Interesting, I thought they were gonna wait one more year. I'm fine with it though.

The Couturier Effect is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 12:40 PM
ratbid

Hey Flyers fans, I have a quick question for you guys. I'm building this question off of two ideas here:

1. Bryz getting bought out
2. The interest some flyers fans have shown in Edler on the main boards (a common trade that several on both sides liked was Couts + 1st for Edler + 1st)

If Vancouver were to retain 2 million of salary on Luongo would he hold value in your eyes? His contract is still an awful length but at a caphit of 3,333,333 would he be something you guys think could be interesting to you.

My idea would be a package of Edler + Luongo (at 3,333,333 caphit) for some young forwards on ELCs, but I want to know if you think Luongo still has negative value in that trade.

ratbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 12:52 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratbid View Post
Hey Flyers fans, I have a quick question for you guys. I'm building this question off of two ideas here:

1. Bryz getting bought out
2. The interest some flyers fans have shown in Edler on the main boards (a common trade that several on both sides liked was Couts + 1st for Edler + 1st)

If Vancouver were to retain 2 million of salary on Luongo would he hold value in your eyes? His contract is still an awful length but at a caphit of 3,333,333 would he be something you guys think could be interesting to you.

My idea would be a package of Edler + Luongo (at 3,333,333 caphit) for some young forwards on ELCs, but I want to know if you think Luongo still has negative value in that trade.
I think it's safe to say the only way the Flyers would be interested in Luongo would be if he was bought-out by Vancouver and became a UFA.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 12:56 PM
ratbid

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I think it's safe to say the only way the Flyers would be interested in Luongo would be if he was bought-out by Vancouver and became a UFA.
That's fair. I appreciate the reply.

ratbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 06:30 AM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Wonder if Bryz buyout guarantees Bernier is coming here or they stand pat with Mason...

hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 06:33 AM
UKFlyers

Didn't realise that Eriksson had opted for Vancouver. My main worry is that not signing him will come back to bite us. This morning isn't getting any better for me.

UKFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 07:32 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
Wonder if Bryz buyout guarantees Bernier is coming here or they stand pat with Mason...
They need another goalie with NHL experience if Bryz is bought out.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 08:33 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
They need another goalie with NHL experience if Bryz is bought out.
There isn't a single goalie on the FA list that would entices me. Backstrom has had major hip problems. Nabokov is probably going to be re-signed. Mike Smith, lol no. TT is probably the best option, but nobody knows what he wants.

Bernier
Mason

Let the two young kids battle it out for the #1. Whoever wins, he plays 55 games while the back up plays 27 games.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 08:54 AM
Curufinwe

What about Khubodin?

Old
06-15-2013, 08:56 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
What about Khubodin?
Bernier is a better goalie and has more experience? Why would you recommend him after saying we need a goalie with experience?

Old
06-15-2013, 09:00 AM
Curufinwe

Cause he's a free agent who would only cost money, not assets. For that I'd let his limited NHL experience slide.

Old
06-15-2013, 09:06 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Cause he's a free agent who would only cost money, not assets. For that I'd let his limited NHL experience slide.
People are always so high on young players on these boards. He put up good numbers on an excellent team playing behind one of the best defenses in the league. He is also rumored to be going back to Russia after his contract is up I would rather have Bernier at the price it cost to acquire him then having him for nothing. He has I think like 26 games under his belt? Not enough to bank on him getting to battle for the #1. Bernier also has the pedigree to go along with him, he has been highly touted for a while. I would feel much more comfortable with him and Mason as I would with Khudobin and Mason.