HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs' off-season moves (all trades, proposals & free agent talk here) V

Closed Thread

Old
06-14-2013, 10:04 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Pierre Lebrun said expect Habs in on Bickell.
To which I say....please tell me one team who isn't.....Not saying he's wrong but honestly, he might very well be the most famous name come UFA time....And somehow, I have the feeling will come "close 2nd"....

Old
06-14-2013, 10:08 PM
Craig71

We have made our move, this Drewiske kid is gonna be a good oneI tell ya. I just want us to make some noise at the draft, don't expect free agents to line up for Montreal.

Old
06-14-2013, 10:42 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT1 View Post
loooool your just nit-picking now, st.louis has a desperate need for a center and with our depth in center i felt like this would be a good long term move. trade diaz(or keep him for all i care) for w/e you want and sign stalberg for w/e you want(his value is 3-3.5M but hes gonna get close to 4M.. thats the UFA world buddy). and i also said bickell or stalberg

and diaz can easily get you a late 1st rounder, but anyways thats beyond the issue
Ugghh!

Old
06-14-2013, 10:45 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Pierre Lebrun said expect Habs in on Bickell.
Chicago has the first shot at re-signing him so it's a little premature to be getting excited about free agents, especially those who are currently making major contributions to their team's success

Old
06-14-2013, 10:59 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
Chicago has the first shot at re-signing him so it's a little premature to be getting excited about free agents, especially those who are currently making major contributions to their team's success
Yes, and at the point he becomes too expensive for the Hawks to retain, he probably becomes a burden for the Habs to take on.

This might be where the Bergevin relationship with the Hawks turns into something, if Bickell prices himself out of Chicago Bergevin might get into the thick of it with one of those conditional draft pick deals and sign him before July.

Old
06-14-2013, 11:00 PM
Ezpz
No mad pls

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
Chicago has 2 mil cap space and have to re-sign Kruger, Leddy and replace Bickell/Stalberg/Emery. Even if they buyout Montador and Olesz they're still tight on space. They also have to keep space open for Hjalmarsson, Shaw, Frolik and Crawford next year.

Old
06-15-2013, 12:50 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
Streit, STreit, STReit, STREit, STREIt, STREIT!

Agree wholeheartedly. He was coming off a concussion and onto a team laden with injuries. He wasn't fabulous in the playoffs but he was unbelievable throughout the regular season. Little bit worried we rushed him to be honest.
Strange how the first part of your response was right and the second part screwed all that away.

The right answer is Diaz is similar to Streit. Solid on the PP, average at everything else.

And I don't think we should build long term on the idea that we have a great PP. Case in point, 2008.

Old
06-15-2013, 02:47 AM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Strange how the first part of your response was right and the second part screwed all that away.

The right answer is Diaz is similar to Streit. Solid on the PP, average at everything else.

And I don't think we should build long term on the idea that we have a great PP. Case in point, 2008.
He was unbelievable on the PP and passable at everything else, that's good enough for me and "unbelievable" based on my expectations for him

We will definitely see some big changes soon with our PP and how our forward lines are used. The team won't be built around Markov and Plekanec forever. Not sure we can lean so heavily on these two anymore and I'm not sure our best players coming up will fit into the same mould.

Old
06-15-2013, 03:38 AM
Draft

Alright, new concept based on a four line hockey team in a transition phase. Looking at being able to roll three "2nd" lines with separate roles as well as have an impactful 4th line with shutdown capabilities as well as being an energy line. This is more based around a Boston-like structure with depth in the top-9 and role players being a real strength.

Trade Plekanec to STL for C.Stewart + 2nd (signed at 4.5mil/4years)
Sign Bickell @ 3.5mil/4years
Sign Gordon @ 2.2mil/4years

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Stewart ----> Clear cut offensive/possession line (1st PP, 55p, 55p, 55p)
Bourque-Eller-Gionta ---------------> Shutdown line/Offensive line (1st PK-Gio, 45p-45p-45p)
Bickell-Galchenyuk-Gallagher -----> Offensive line/Energy line (2nd PP, 35p-45p-45p)
Moen-Gordon-Prust -----------------> Shutdown/Energy line (2nd PK-Moen, 15p-15p-15p)
(Dumont, White)

So the ability to roll four lines or be able to match lines based on situational need. Big increase in physicality and net presence, less defensive pressure on top-9 players, excellent depth with all players capable of moving up at least one "line" in case of injuries. If the minutes are balanced accordingly, we'll see our young players with an excellent chance to develop at the pace and in the situations they need to. Our speed/skill game will still be prevalent but our offensive attack and physical play will be more balanced. Gordon is a great leader, Stewart is an excellent team guy. With big, talented wingers that play to DD's strengths, with two high-end wingers on Galchenyuk's wings, and two veteran players on Eller's wings, it will hopefully keep us from having to insulate any one line. Not a "powerhouse" or elite team right now (Chicago, LA, Pittsburgh, Boston) but it looks like forward lines that could compete in the playoffs and adapt to injuries.

No idea what to do with the defence. I'm not interested in signing old, expensive players that won't fit with the team and keep us from retaining players in 2 years and I'm not happy with the way it is now. So trades are the only option IMO.

Old
06-15-2013, 04:59 AM
habsrule22

[QUOTE=Draft;67509939]Alright, new concept based on a four line hockey team in a transition phase. Looking at being able to roll three "2nd" lines with separate roles as well as have an impactful 4th line with shutdown capabilities as well as being an energy line. This is more based around a Boston-like structure with depth in the top-9 and role players being a real strength.

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Stewart ----> Clear cut offensive/possession line (1st PP, 55p, 55p, 55p)
Bourque-Eller-Gionta ---------------> Shutdown line/Offensive line (1st PK-Gio, 45p-45p-45p)
Bickell-Galchenyuk-Gallagher -----> Offensive line/Energy line (2nd PP, 35p-45p-45p)
Moen-Gordon-Prust -----------------> Shutdown/Energy line (2nd PK-Moen, 15p-15p-15p)
(Dumont, White)

So the ability to roll four lines or be able to match lines based on situational need. Big increase in physicality and net presence, less defensive pressure on top-9 players, excellent depth with all players capable of moving up at least one "line" in case of injuries. If the minutes are balanced accordingly, we'll see our young players with an excellent chance to develop at the pace and in the situations they need to. Our speed/skill game will still be prevalent but our offensive attack and physical play will be more balanced. Gordon is a great leader, Stewart is an excellent team guy. With big, talented wingers that play to DD's strengths, with two high-end wingers on Galchenyuk's wings, and two veteran players on Eller's wings, it will hopefully keep us from having to insulate any one line. Not a "powerhouse" or elite team right now (Chicago, LA, Pittsburgh, Boston) but it looks like forward lines that could compete in the playoffs and adapt to injuries.

No idea what to do with the defence. I'm not interested in signing old, expensive players that won't fit with the team and keep us from retaining players in 2 years and I'm not happy with the way it is now. So trades are the only option IMO.[/

switch Pleks for DD and we probably add a second. As far as the defense we can probably add someone like Ron Hainsey

Old
06-15-2013, 05:00 AM
TT1

^ blues wouldnt trade stewart for DD and a 2nd..

Quote:
Alright, new concept based on a four line hockey team in a transition phase. Looking at being able to roll three "2nd" lines with separate roles as well as have an impactful 4th line with shutdown capabilities as well as being an energy line. This is more based around a Boston-like structure with depth in the top-9 and role players being a real strength.

(Dumont, White)

No idea what to do with the defence. I'm not interested in signing old, expensive players that won't fit with the team and keep us from retaining players in 2 years and I'm not happy with the way it is now. So trades are the only option IMO.
energy and moen are not compatible. lose moen for jones, then ud have urself a sick 4th line
if we cant get jones then torres(might be too expensive for a 4th liner)/kobasew would be my 2nd choice

Last edited by TT1: 06-15-2013 at 05:38 AM.
Old
06-15-2013, 06:01 AM
Draft

Quote:
^ blues wouldnt trade stewart for DD and a 2nd..

energy and moen are not compatible. lose moen for jones, then ud have urself a sick 4th line
if we cant get jones then torres(might be too expensive for a 4th liner)/kobasew would be my 2nd choice
Torres wouldn't come here to play on the 4th line and I'm not a big fan of him anyways. Moen's still a good team guy and can play in a shutdown role when needed. However, I'd move him and keep White now that I think about it. We'd save about 800k on the cap and have someone willing to fight and play an energy role. Dumont and Bournival could also spend some time on our 4th line and as our 13th forwards. Gordon and Prust are both able to play on the 3rd line if the need arises.

Also, no way DD+2nd would get us Stewart.

Old
06-15-2013, 06:03 AM
TT1

ugh =[ http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1447685

Old
06-15-2013, 06:04 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
To which I say....please tell me one team who isn't.....Not saying he's wrong but honestly, he might very well be the most famous name come UFA time....And somehow, I have the feeling will come "close 2nd"....
Different management same results

Old
06-15-2013, 06:06 AM
Draft

Quote:
Why ugh? Let them pay him 5mil a year for the next 6 years and complain about how he's a third liner and how he should be bought out.

Old
06-15-2013, 06:08 AM
TT1

Quote:
Why ugh? Let them pay him 5mil a year for the next 6 years and complain about how he's a third liner and how he should be bought out.
clarckson going to a div rival is definitely not a good thing lol

Old
06-15-2013, 06:33 AM
Draft

Quote:
clarckson going to a div rival is definitely not a good thing lol
He doesn't bring much more than physicality and that's something we've seen from the Leafs for quite some time now. We've done okay by it. He's not a game-breaker and I think he'll struggle to be worth the contract he'll get. More interested in how we'll make our team better rather than how we'll deal with Toronto over paying for a 3rd liner.

Old
06-15-2013, 06:56 AM
Lshap

I'd be happy adding a guy like Bickell or Clarkson, but I really REALLY don't want to blow our budget on so-so UFAs this season and be Cap-poor next season when 1) There will be MUCH better UFAs in 2014, and 2) Montreal will be ready to make a serious run.

The smartest moves this off-season may be the ones that aren't made. Be patient and in one year we can re-sign PK, free up cap space when Gionta and Markov's contracts end, and then get a real game-changing UFA... or two.

Old
06-15-2013, 07:33 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
The Leafs have their hands full just keeping their team together , Bozak and Macarthur haven't been re-signed yet. Toronto doesn't have a good track record signing local boys.

Old
06-15-2013, 07:42 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
I'd be happy adding a guy like Bickell or Clarkson, but I really REALLY don't want to blow our budget on so-so UFAs this season and be Cap-poor next season when 1) There will be MUCH better UFAs in 2014, and 2) Montreal will be ready to make a serious run.

The smartest moves this off-season may be the ones that aren't made. Be patient and in one year we can re-sign PK, free up cap space when Gionta and Markov's contracts end, and then get a real game-changing UFA... or two.
Agreed. Bickell especially makes me nervous as a flavour of the month 3rd liner. He works hard and everything but I think his stock has risen off some flukey goals. I honestly don't know what he looks like without that great team around him.

I'll equate it to Travis Moen, good playoff run timed well with free agency and Montreal latched on. How would we rate Travis' time in Montreal? Mixed results at best.

Old
06-15-2013, 07:47 AM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Torres wouldn't come here to play on the 4th line and I'm not a big fan of him anyways. Moen's still a good team guy and can play in a shutdown role when needed. However, I'd move him and keep White now that I think about it. We'd save about 800k on the cap and have someone willing to fight and play an energy role. Dumont and Bournival could also spend some time on our 4th line and as our 13th forwards. Gordon and Prust are both able to play on the 3rd line if the need arises.

Also, no way DD+2nd would get us Stewart.
dd is worth a $ 100 voucher at the Keg ...take it and eat

Old
06-15-2013, 07:51 AM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Agreed. Bickell especially makes me nervous as a flavour of the month 3rd liner. He works hard and everything but I think his stock has risen off some flukey goals. I honestly don't know what he looks like without that great team around him.

I'll equate it to Travis Moen, good playoff run timed well with free agency and Montreal latched on. How would we rate Travis' time in Montreal? Mixed results at best.
He's consistently inconsistent during the regular season even on a great team. Very risky signing..... has he broken out or has he gotten lucky? I feel the latter considering his age and the nature of the goals he's scored.

However, you never get very far on these boards if you don't include either Clowe, Clarkson or Bickell in your proposals. So I usually include him.

Old
06-15-2013, 07:54 AM
onemorecup*

Quote:
If he gives him +3mil/year I'll be choked. Bourque makes 3.3mil as a two-time 27 goal scorer. He'd be great but ..... not sure if he's worth this year's market value based on where our team is right now in terms of development and ability to compete.
agreed 100% , he should be getting Prust money no more

but some fool will regret overpaying 99% of the time when a team that barley makes it out of round 1 , give him 4 then realizes wait a minute here

we dont have Toewes , Kane , Seabrook, Hossa, Keith , Sharp , a solid team , a system , and the fact that he leached off better players

then they will say ...wait a minute we paid 4 mil for a 35 point player ( thats what he is a decent top 9 ) then cry a year later waiting to trade him

he is a good fit but at 2.5 not 4

Old
06-15-2013, 07:58 AM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post

agreed the stay the course , a great draft year for us

plenty of cap casualties out there , better signing a bought out guy for cheap and buying time

these overated UFAs will take us right back to Gio/Cammy/Cole/ Spacek ....spending lke drunk get us nowhere offseasons

Old
06-15-2013, 08:08 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
Whether he's just throwing **** to the wall or not, it makes a lot of sense for this club on a couple levels. Bergevin knows him, part of drafting and developing him, and he's the exact type of player this team needs along with rugged defensemen.

Honestly I wouldn't mind if MB gave him a 4x3.5, while it's overpayment he fills such a big role and everyone thought he overpaid for Prust and he turned out to be worth his weight in gold.
At 4 years 3.5 mil Bickell signs with Chicago.

If he goes to UFA he probably wants and gets more money than that.

Closed Thread